BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Estoril Blue 335i v Long Beach Blue M2

10-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #133
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Just so people are clear on what terms they use, Teal vs Turquoise...
The problem is that in this group, we don't have any women chiming in or any actual artists. Just a bunch of dudes that have zero actual colour vocabulary and zero conscious colour recognition expertise.
      10-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #134
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Both schemes are great paintings. I personally think the two meet the high expectations of sportiness. Blue is the color of the infinite possibilities. Ives.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #135
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

l've see the m2 in person several times on the road now. Its blue. And as I said before on this thread the photos from the op is off from the real deal. People who think its teal can think its teal. Its blue. Dont get lbb if you can't handle that truth.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #136
Big Tuna
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
l've see the m2 in person several times on the road now. Its blue.
In the specific lighting conditions, context, and time of day you saw it, it was blue. Got it.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #137
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

There's a few problems regarding colour:

1) People need to get the terms right and know what to call what they see. I'm guessing some people are mis-naming a colour, and that is throwing off people who do know what the term means, resulting in a communication problem:
Turquoise = Blue with some green in it
Teal = Green with some blue in it

2) Camera quality/picture quality. Shows slightly different results, again throwing people off and making them second guess what they see or what is presented. Is it really turquoise or is the image slightly off and it's actually teal? Or is it solidly a turquoise colour and the image makes it close to teal?

3) Like EBII and SO, the colour naturally can shift, throwing us all off. Lighting and angles make a huge difference, and people who don't fully understand the degree that this impacts what we see are again second guessing the posters comments and the images.

All these three things combine to create a lot of doubt. Some of the images our members have posted as being accurate are actually VERY close to the BMW press images. In fact in their images you do see that the colour base is blue with a hint of green in it. Perhaps its not as much as what our members have captured but it's still there - and our member have captured blue with some green in it. And this makes sense, as BMW would not be showing one colour - a blue - and actually selling another - a green.

BMW must be laughing at us and the length of these conversations. We get ourselves worked up for nothing...
      10-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #138
Chinsterr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP, '22 Tesla X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Ive seen LBB in person, and these pics are pretty representative of the color, maybee in person it has a bit more metallic flake to it. Its definitely a color designed to be looked at...
+1.

Seen it multiple times on an x6M in my neighbourhood. For all those expecting it to be closer to "blue" like what's portrayed in the promotional pictures you'll be disappointed.

My wife described it as the color a "mermaid's tail"
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #139
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
In the specific lighting conditions, context, and time of day you saw it, it was blue. Got it.
I saw the BMW M2 in person, during the day, on the road, on different days, with different lighting conditions and it was blue. I could see it tomorrow, in the rain, in the snow, in the dark and it will still be blue. Unless you see it for yourself, you're basing your position on photos from other people's phones or cameras with different filters/settings on, and thru your computer monitor that has different color calibrations (I worked in print design, I know this as fact).

Personally, I'll go with my own eyes. You go by what you want
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #140
Big Tuna
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I saw the BMW M2 in person, during the day, on the road, on different days, with different lighting conditions and it was blue. I could see it tomorrow, in the rain, in the snow, in the dark and it will still be blue. Unless you see it for yourself, you're basing your position on photos from other people's phones or cameras with different filters/settings on, and thru your computer monitor that has different color calibrations (I worked in print design, I know this as fact).

Personally, I'll go with my own eyes. You go by what you want
That's really interesting. Color perception is variable by individual more than people think. I've got a guy working for me that is partially colorblind and can't see red at all.

The X6M in LBB that sits outside my office window looks more green or more blue, depending on the day or even the time of day. (I work in sensory perception research. I know this as fact).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #141
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I have passed this test with a perfect score: http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge , I have a calibrated professional LCD at home, and I've seen the car in person so you can trust that Chinsterr is right and it is more green than in all of the promotional material.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #142
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Additionally this dress is blue and black.
[/QUOTE]

Ha! I love it!!!
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #143
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's really interesting. Color perception is variable by individual more than people think. I've got a guy working for me that is partially colorblind and can't see red at all.

The X6M in LBB that sits outside my office window looks more green or more blue, depending on the day or even the time of day. (I work in sensory perception research. I know this as fact).
Go see the LBB M2 yourself and talk to me. Fact.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #144
Big Tuna
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Fact.

You are right. It is a fact that you believe it is blue when you see it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #145
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Quote:

It is also a fact that I believe it has noticeable shade of teal when you see it in person. Fact.
      10-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #146
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
The 335i looks like a 5 series compared to the 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #147
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The level of discourse here is ridiculous. I've seen the car numerous times and know it's blue. You think differently based on your own reasoning that's fine. End of story, move on already. I'm gone.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #148
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla
Quote:

Go see the LBB M2 yourself and talk to me. Fact.
dude, you're not the only person that seen LBB in person. ur eyes may see blue but it doesn't mean all the other people that see some green in the blue are incorrect.
      10-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #149
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
The problem is that in this group, we don't have any women chiming in or any actual artists. Just a bunch of dudes that have zero actual colour vocabulary and zero conscious colour recognition expertise.
I'm in the printing business and run into this daily. Customers emailing art without specific PMS ( Pantone Matching System ) color numbers. Get responses like "match how it looks on the screen" when unless two computers are color calibrated then there is no way to be exact. If someone could take a PMS swatch book to the car and find the best match then post the number everyone could then be looking at the exact same color. Most graphics or printing companies would have a PMS book and would probably let you look the color up.
Attached Images

ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #150
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap
Quote:
I'm in the printing business and run into this daily. Customers emailing art without specific PMS ( Pantone Matching System ) color numbers. Get responses like "match how it looks on the screen" when unless two computers are color calibrated then there is no way to be exact. If someone could take a PMS swatch book to the car and find the best match then post the number everyone could then be looking at the exact same color. Most graphics or printing companies would have a PMS book and would probably let you look the color up.
great idea. all right boys, get cracking :
      10-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #151
TGDavey
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 - AW --> SUNROOF

Yellow looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Austin Yellow is a horrible color... so horrible, in fact, that I was compelled to buy my M4 in that color

I think AY would be great on the M2... I also REALLY wish they offered Sakhir Orange. Every M4 I have seen with Sakhir Orange was gorgeous and I think it would suit the M2 very well.
Have a look at this little baby ..in yellow.
Name:  IMG_0004.JPG
Views: 847
Size:  113.0 KB

Appreciate 3
      10-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #152
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Okay I've seen LBB in the day, in the night, and more times than I wish to count online. Using the established definitions from knowledgable people this thread (blue, turquoise, teal) --- I have come to these subjective conclusions:

1) None of the pics I've seen or the in-person LBB are something I would call "blue"

2) I think it's teal...and there are various shades of teal in life, in the M2 paint, and according to the time of day.

3) I have zero interest in LBB. In person it is "boy-racer-high-school" in my opinion.

4) It doesn't matter what the color is called. Find a LBB car, go look at it, and decide if you want to buy an M2 in that color.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #153
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

I finally found a LBB X6M locally. I went today to look at it. It's 95% blue, even in direct sunlight. You can slightly see some green, leading to a teal hint, in some angles and lighting. But that small amount of green only adds to the emotion of the color.

Overall it's an amazing color. I was very indifferent because I was scared it was too metallic and too teal. That's not the case and it's a lovely color. An EB car was a few spots down and looked downright pedestrian compared to LBB.

I will now order my M2 in LBB. It's an easy decision.

Everyone - just go find a car in LBB and go take a look. It's too hard of a color to show in pictures.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #154
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
Okay I've seen LBB in the day, in the night, and more times than I wish to count online. Using the established definitions from knowledgable people this thread (blue, turquoise, teal) --- I have come to these subjective conclusions:

1) None of the pics I've seen or the in-person LBB are something I would call "blue"

2) I think it's teal...and there are various shades of teal in life, in the M2 paint, and according to the time of day.

3) I have zero interest in LBB. In person it is "boy-racer-high-school" in my opinion.

4) It doesn't matter what the color is called. Find a LBB car, go look at it, and decide if you want to buy an M2 in that color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
I finally found a LBB X6M locally. I went today to look at it. It's 95% blue, even in direct sunlight. You can slightly see some green, leading to a teal hint, in some angles and lighting. But that small amount of green only adds to the emotion of the color.

Overall it's an amazing color. I was very indifferent because I was scared it was too metallic and too teal. That's not the case and it's a lovely color. An EB car was a few spots down and looked downright pedestrian compared to LBB.

I will now order my M2 in LBB. It's an easy decision.

Everyone - just go find a car in LBB and go take a look. It's too hard of a color to show in pictures.
These two posts just show how different peoples opinions are,as to what LBB looks like,even when they have seen the color in person.

I have also seen the color in person and I think it looks fantastic.

Last edited by SW19; 10-31-2015 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 1