BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Modify M235i, or save toward M2 upgrade?

05-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #111
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Weird development in case anyone is interested... I test drove a manual M2 this past weekend on a trip down to Atlanta to visit family, and... I didn't like it. No idea why, I just didn't bond with the car the way that I thought that I would! Bizarre. I guess I'll be going for a DCT after all!
Nothing wrong with that. I love my 6MT, but man I would kill for the DCT sometimes. It's just so easy and practical!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #112
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Well manual transmissions are not for everyone. Keep in mind that to completely bond with a MT car it likely will take more than one day. In my case it took months because the linkage and transmission was still breaking in. Now shifting it is like tying my shoes.
That's fair. I was really surprised... I expecting to feel in tune with the car pretty quickly like I did when I test drove my Miata, FR-S and Fiesta ST, but it didn't happen for some reason. DCT was an instant connection though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #113
bicurious
Registered
Rep
Drives: LCI, DCT, SBM, MPE

I went through the same process. After driving manual cars for the past 15 years I was sure I wanted my M2 to be manual until I test drove a manual then a DCT back to back. I loved the DCT right away and still do six months on.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #114
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sooo.... I did a thing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j264bykedbqUT9FcA

Appreciate 7
Altra265.50
qnet681.50
TProfit81.50
wassy497.50
akkando5863.00
      05-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #115
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Welcome to the family!
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #116
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Awesome!! Congrats on the M2!
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #117
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Awesome!! Congrats on the M2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altra View Post
Welcome to the family!
Thanks guys! Feels good.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #118
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
That's fair. I was really surprised... I expecting to feel in tune with the car pretty quickly like I did when I test drove my Miata, FR-S and Fiesta ST, but it didn't happen for some reason. DCT was an instant connection though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicurious View Post
I went through the same process. After driving manual cars for the past 15 years I was sure I wanted my M2 to be manual until I test drove a manual then a DCT back to back. I loved the DCT right away and still do six months on.
That's interesting. I have a DCT and love it, but reading this forum so much I often wonder what having a manual M2 would be like.

I've had a lot of manual cars over the years also, including a E36 M3, but really like the DCT in my M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:03 AM   #119
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I have e92 m3 that is 6spd, my m2 is dct. M3 has been sitting in the garage for past 2 weeks now. Dct m2 is that good
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #120
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Modded M235i or M2

Hello to all,
Yes I am a newby and this is my first post. The other site I was on was just too general and did not have a specific category for my M235i.
In response to your question whether or not should you buy an M2 that is a tough one. I know about the frustrations with buying a car and then modding it only to hit the proverbial "Glass Ceiling".
Myself I was in a similar situation but mine was whether I should buy an M4, (still think it should be called an M3). But a good used one from a 16' to 18' was going to set me back at least $65k for a used one. I ended up buying a 2015 one-owner lease return for $33k with only 32k on it. The only option it was missing was the M-diff or LSD that sells from BMW for right around $2,400. I got very lucky and found one from a total with only 9k on it and for $1,250 delivered to my house. This is a list of the upgrades I have done to the car.
Dinan dual-core intercooler
Dinan CF CAI
Berger Motorsports charge pipe
Berger Motorsports dual baffle oil catch can
Berger Motorsports Billet Oil housing cap
Berger Motorsports Sport Oil cooler valve
P3 Gauges left-side vent digital gauge
VRSF (Speed Factory) 200 CEL down-pipe
VF Engineering HEX Tuning Stage II
R1 Concepts drilled & slotted w/Aluminum hat rotors front and rear
Stop Tech pads F&R

After all of this with a total price tag easily under $5k I took the car from 305 WHP and 328 WTQ to a reasonable 370.37 WHP and 449.32 WTQ. This is with all bolt-on upgrades nothing internal or taking more than about 3.5 hrs max install time. The differential took the longest next to the inter-cooler. My next move is a water/meth injection kit and maybe even swapping out to a bigger turbo and a different waste-gate.
So in the end for $25k less, granted that is for a new 2016 M2, I feel what I paid for my car and how much I put into it was a good decision for me. Like I said if I was to change cars it would be for a low-mile used M3 Coupe.
David
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #121
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Congrats, enjoy it! Interested to know your thoughts on it and if you think you made the right decision

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #122
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1wheels View Post
Hello to all,
Yes I am a newby and this is my first post. The other site I was on was just too general and did not have a specific category for my M235i.
In response to your question whether or not should you buy an M2 that is a tough one. I know about the frustrations with buying a car and then modding it only to hit the proverbial "Glass Ceiling".
Myself I was in a similar situation but mine was whether I should buy an M4, (still think it should be called an M3). But a good used one from a 16' to 18' was going to set me back at least $65k for a used one. I ended up buying a 2015 one-owner lease return for $33k with only 32k on it. The only option it was missing was the M-diff or LSD that sells from BMW for right around $2,400. I got very lucky and found one from a total with only 9k on it and for $1,250 delivered to my house. This is a list of the upgrades I have done to the car.
Dinan dual-core intercooler
Dinan CF CAI
Berger Motorsports charge pipe
Berger Motorsports dual baffle oil catch can
Berger Motorsports Billet Oil housing cap
Berger Motorsports Sport Oil cooler valve
P3 Gauges left-side vent digital gauge
VRSF (Speed Factory) 200 CEL down-pipe
VF Engineering HEX Tuning Stage II
R1 Concepts drilled & slotted w/Aluminum hat rotors front and rear
Stop Tech pads F&R

After all of this with a total price tag easily under $5k I took the car from 305 WHP and 328 WTQ to a reasonable 370.37 WHP and 449.32 WTQ. This is with all bolt-on upgrades nothing internal or taking more than about 3.5 hrs max install time. The differential took the longest next to the inter-cooler. My next move is a water/meth injection kit and maybe even swapping out to a bigger turbo and a different waste-gate.
So in the end for $25k less, granted that is for a new 2016 M2, I feel what I paid for my car and how much I put into it was a good decision for me. Like I said if I was to change cars it would be for a low-mile used M3 Coupe.
David
Wow, your car sounds like a beast, well done! VF Engineering seems to do good work, I can only imagine how much that tune woke your car up. Enjoy it! Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #123
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
Congrats, enjoy it! Interested to know your thoughts on it and if you think you made the right decision
Thanks man! After finally getting the "pulling to the right" issue fixed (turned out to be a software issue, so managed to get upgraded to the latest iStep in the process), I can safely say that I absolutely LOVE the M2. I don't regret getting a DCT at all, and the car just does what I want, when I want, how I want. It still surprises me from time to time, e.g. occasionally kicking out the tail when in MDM mode, but it's all very manageable and is lots of fun. I don't find the ride to be an issue; it's a little bit stiffer than the 235 was, but more controlled and less bouncy. I also love that the rear-end vagueness that I used to feel on the highway in the 235 doesn't exist with the M2.

I occasionally forget that I changed cars since the interior is so similar, but all it takes is a few manual downshifts in MDM mode at low speeds to remove that confusion. The stereo is also a big step up (I had the base system in the 235), which is exciting.

Did my first mod the other day; swapped the chrome grill surrounds out for gloss black.. Much better.

Time to put my foot in my mouth: I see this car sticking around for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #124
Archiater
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e46 325ci m-sport coupe

Congratulations. Right decision. Right colour. (not that I'm biased in any way whatsoever; much)

The 235/240's problem, visually, is a lack of girth, which the M2 gets just right IMO.

However, if I were you, I'd make the grill change your last mod. Mods might have a positive effect on the car but they'll have a negative effect on your bank balance and stock examples end up being more desirable in the long run. (again, my opinion)

Hope you enjoy the car for a long time. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #125
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

wait you advise him to NOT modify the cosmetic aspect of his car until the END of ownership so he CAN'T enjoy it despite him saying he's going to keep the car a long while.

this makes no sense. I say mod cars early on and enjoy them, I made the mistake of modding my last car late on and wish i'd done it sooner!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #126
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
wait you advise him to NOT modify the cosmetic aspect of his car until the END of ownership so he CAN'T enjoy it despite him saying he's going to keep the car a long while.

this makes no sense. I say mod cars early on and enjoy them, I made the mistake of modding my last car late on and wish i'd done it sooner!
^ cosmetic mods should happen ASAP (assuming money is not an issue here)

Also made the mistake of modding my m235 after two years and then modded it three months before selling it for an m2...was just lucky to recoup some of the costs through a private sale. If you're not turning around to look at your car after getting out, you fix that now lol
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #127
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E36 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Congrats op! I've had my LBB 6mt M2 for over 3 weeks now and totally in love as well, only mod I've done is swap to M mirror caps.. Getting some pads soon for my first track day with it in July at Auto Club Speedway, my dedicated track car is getting a little break to let her new sister get some action!
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #128
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiater View Post
Congratulations. Right decision. Right colour. (not that I'm biased in any way whatsoever; much)

The 235/240's problem, visually, is a lack of girth, which the M2 gets just right IMO.

However, if I were you, I'd make the grill change your last mod. Mods might have a positive effect on the car but they'll have a negative effect on your bank balance and stock examples end up being more desirable in the long run. (again, my opinion)

Hope you enjoy the car for a long time. 👍🏻
I think I get what you're saying. I don't plan to do many mods to this car (famous last words, I know), and when I do, I'll hang onto the stock parts. The goal will be to stick to changes that are easily reversible so as not to affect eventual re-sale value.. that the approach that I usually take. What I have in mind so far:

- Some kind of trunk lid spoiler, maybe the M performance piece

- An exhaust mod: thinking of starting with a resonator delete then figuring out where to go from there

- CF mirror caps to match the spoiler

That's really about it. I've toyed with keeping an eye out for a set of 513m take-offs to run an 18" wheel setup, but I've been pretty happy with the ride so far, and love the look of the 437's.

I think that the best mod for this car is going to be driver mod... it's a thousand times more capable than I am.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #129
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

congrats on the new ride..i was in a similar situation as you. The M2 was definitly the right call.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #130
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
congrats on the new ride..i was in a similar situation as you. The M2 was definitly the right call.
Agreed 100%!
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #131
rtr76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT, AST, Wagner, HJS 300

I do have exactly same opinion. Before I bought M2 I had M135i for 2 years and almost 70k kms. M2 is different animal, wants to turn like crazy, sounds better, DCT is ment to be used in manual, I didnt have that feeling with 8 speed auto. M2 is much more drivers car. I do use it as a daily, do have AST suspension, HJS cat, Wagner Evo 2 intercooler and I am now using stock map, even I tried BM3, I went back to stock map and car puls strong with those bolt ons and hold power even on hot days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I went from an M235i to an M2. I didn’t find much difference is ride quality. There is significant difference in handling and acceleration. Gas mileage is only 1-2 mpg less.

I definable like the M2 better than the M235i and I am glad I made the change.

By the way, my M2 is my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #132
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr76 View Post
I do have exactly same opinion. Before I bought M2 I had M135i for 2 years and almost 70k kms. M2 is different animal, wants to turn like crazy, sounds better, DCT is ment to be used in manual, I didnt have that feeling with 8 speed auto. M2 is much more drivers car. I do use it as a daily, do have AST suspension, HJS cat, Wagner Evo 2 intercooler and I am now using stock map, even I tried BM3, I went back to stock map and car puls strong with those bolt ons and hold power even on hot days.
How do you like the AST suspension? Did you get the 5100s? Standard spring rates and valving?
Appreciate 0