BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Detachment of CF splitter on highway

Closed Thread

04-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #23
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I'm on the side of the OP here.

Even the M2 side winglets require betalink according to BMW.

The new M2C splitter is a LONG piece of carbon, meaning it takes less force at the center to snap it than a short piece of carbon.

This is one of the reasons why racecar splitters are supported with rods in the center.

I don't think it's unlikely the center screws could pull out of the plastic bumper at speed.

I don't know how much downforce is exactly create by the splitter at time of this event, but I don't think a few hundred pounds is an unreasonable estimate, which would easily pull the screws from the plastic bumper.

There are tests of carbon fiber on youtube showing it snapping at a few hundred pounds of pressure.

Obviously there are way too many variables and unknowns to figure out exactly mathematically what happened and prove anything here to anyone, so it's a pointless argument. But from what I've seen and known about carbon fiber, it doesn't seem unlikely at all that his snapped due to downforce and missing betalink.

And here is someone else who was in the same situation with a different splitter.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1261067
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
nioh_lbbm21716.50
BlkSVT388.50
      04-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #24
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Also, I don't see a motive for the OP to come here to lie to us about what happened. It's not like he's here to smear the dealer, because he hasn't even mentioned what dealer it was. Like, when someone lies, it's because they will benefit in some way from it... I just fail to see a benefit here. Let me know if there is some possible motive I'm not seeing.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #25
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Also, I don't see a motive for the OP to come here to lie to us about what happened. It's not like he's here to smear the dealer, because he hasn't even mentioned what dealer it was. Like, when someone lies, it's because they will benefit in some way from it... I just fail to see a benefit here. Let me know if I'm missing something.
Very well said, sir!

It's always shocking to me whenever I come to this forum how vitriolic it gets as quickly as it does. Somebody comes on here and says, "I think the sky looks kind of blue today," and the response will be, "LOL. What are you? Some kind of atmospheric scientist? Oh, you used a spectrometer and know the refraction patterns within +/- 2 micrometers? It's obviously a light aquamarine hue tinged with orange. If only you'd open your eyes, you could see."

WTF?

Half the time I don't think the posters intend to be as cutting as they're coming off. Though, invariably the harshest responses are the ones where the poster is effectively saying, "I'm 100% correct and therefore you're 100% wrong." Jeez Louise. The world's a pretty complex place. A little humility and admission that we're not the 100% knowers of absolute objective truth 100% of the time goes a long way.

Ah, heck, who am I kidding? This is the Internet. Flame away, everyone!
Appreciate 2
BlkSVT388.50
      04-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #26
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

In my view, the OP came in here to do a good thing... warn others after what happened to him to prevent it happening to others. Then ppl respond calling him a liar. Which just adds insult to injury (literally) after OP lost his expensive splitter and is unsure if he'll recoup what's lost. Ppl have done that crap to me before and it's just the worst feeling.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLlRacing View Post
Well, on the highway, without having received any blow, I broke the diffuser.
Please post some close-up pictures of the splitter.

It looks like the splitter sustained quite some scratching in the past (patina). Do you sometimes drive over road surfaces with limited ground clearance (driveway, road bumps, underground parking lots, etc.) ? Maybe the splitter got structurally damaged during a ground clearance issue and broke apart as 'final straw' during highway driving ?

1M front bumper of a forum fellow - imagine how it would look with a splitter mounted:
      04-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #28
JLlRacing
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
In my view, the OP came in here to do a good thing... warn others after what happened to him to prevent it happening to others. Then ppl respond calling him a liar. Which just adds insult to injury (literally) after OP lost his expensive splitter and is unsure if he'll recoup what's lost. Ppl have done that crap to me before and it's just the worst feeling.
Thanks for your words.
I'm glad to see there's intelligence around here.
In fact, although they have tried to offend me, from my point of view they have only been put in evidence, letting see its enormous automobile and aerodynamic lack of culture. And the worst, boasting about it.
Say that you recover, either because the dealer accepts your error, or because it is seen by a judge.
Thank you again, greetings.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #29
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

idiots on the forums. just try to take a flat solid object and try to hold it at the slightest angle against the wind on the highway. all it takes is the slightest amount give and air can have enough force to rip it apart. OP hope the dealer takes care of this for you
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #30
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Please post some close-up pictures of the splitter.

It looks like the splitter sustained quite some scratching in the past (patina). Do you sometimes drive over road surfaces with limited ground clearance (driveway, road bumps, underground parking lots, etc.) ? Maybe the splitter got structurally damaged during a ground clearance issue and broke apart as 'final straw' during highway driving ?

1M front bumper of a forum fellow - imagine how it would look with a splitter mounted:
The lower part of the diffuser was completely lost, but I assure you that I did not have a single touch, I always take extreme care, never touched the ground.

When I took it to the dealership to have it removed (once broken) I was present at all times, together with the sheet metal workshop manager and the post sales manager.
At that time they gave me the reason, I demanded that they show me the assembly procedure, since in my opinion the plastic bolts seemed insufficient, I asked if it did not have to be glued or with double-sided tape, they denied it to me.
A few days ago they told me that they would call the insurance office so that they will assess what happened, assuming the fault, but delaying the process of solving the problem.
And a few days ago I found in this forum the installation PDF, I just wait until tomorrow, to see what a fool's face they have left.
They tried to deceive me and extend it, I do not know the reason

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-21-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #31
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Definitely a weird circumstance. Not taking sides as the behavior of composites is interesting depending on the variables at play on it and also I have not been able to examine the part, but it seems unlikely downforce from pressure on that center section would be able to break this composite part. I'm thinking maybe it's a faulty part OR something hit the piece right in the middle without you realizing while you were driving on the freeway. Only reason I say this is because the sides are still attached and even in the event of the middle section coming undone, that air pressure on the small surface of the middle alone would (should) not break it. Fingers crossed the dealer steps up and fixes this for you though, OP.

Source: I am a composites engineer
Poochie9104.50
      04-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #32
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_F87 View Post
Definitely a weird circumstance. Not taking sides as the behavior of composites is interesting depending on the variables at play on it and also I have not been able to examine the part, but it seems unlikely downforce from pressure on that center section would be able to break this composite part. I'm thinking maybe it's a faulty part OR something hit the piece right in the middle without you realizing while you were driving on the freeway. Only reason I say this is because the sides are still attached and even in the event of the middle section coming undone, that air pressure on the small surface of the middle alone would (should) not break it. Fingers crossed the dealer steps up and fixes this for you though, OP.

Yeah, pretty much what I said. Wasn't trying to offend the OP or question what he believed happened. But he seemed easily perturbed by someone offering an alternate cause.. :shrug:
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #33
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Sorry, I tend to concur with the crowd that this splitter (not a diffusor BTW) does not create enough downforce to pull it off the car. How fast were you going? 150 mph? Perhaps then it might cause an issue.

Also, to the rest of the crowd, the BMW instructions DO call for glue in the center AND the rivets. I haven't installed mine, but intend to use double sided tape for a secure fit, yet potential removal. Not sure how it will effect the fitment, but there is a recess in the spoiler, so the tape may fit will into the grooves in the spoiler.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-22-2019, 02:28 AM   #34
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Comment, I do not come here seeking the approval of anyone, nor do I want to convince anyone of what has happened. I know perfectly well what happened, and that's how I've told it.
It was simply to tell what had happened to me, so that if someone happens to him the same thing he knows the reason and they make sure of the correct installation or the piece.
Comment that happened to me at a speed of 280km/h, the limited maximum speed of the M2 competition in Europe and, on a windy day, it is possible that the piece without glue reaches a speed of more than 300km/h. , which would be the speed of the car plus the speed of the wind against.
What I see here is a lot of ignorance and, as usual, ignorance makes it very brave saying what you think you know.
I have already said clearly what happened, whoever the same thing happens to him, he already knows what to do to break it, and who does not want to break the diffuser, also knows what he has to do
Greetings to all.
How do you know you didn't hit something on the FWY and instead assumed that the splitter broke off from the downforce?

No need to throw bad words around
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:30 AM   #35
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Sorry, I tend to concur with the crowd that this splitter (not a diffusor BTW) does not create enough downforce to pull it off the car. How fast were you going? 150 mph? Perhaps then it might cause an issue.

Also, to the rest of the crowd, the BMW instructions DO call for glue in the center AND the rivets. I haven't installed mine, but intend to use double sided tape for a secure fit, yet potential removal. Not sure how it will effect the fitment, but there is a recess in the spoiler, so the tape may fit will into the grooves in the spoiler.
174 mph, enough downforce, or do I need even more?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:36 AM   #36
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
How do you know you didn't hit something on the FWY and instead assumed that the splitter broke off from the downforce?

No need to throw bad words around
The rest of the car is completely intact, the only thing that is deformed are the plastic rivets and the holes (deformed downwards)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:57 AM   #37
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:

I assume that as a composite engineer, you know what tension is, now, that the tension is caused by the wind in the wing, the sides of the diffuser have no wing, and twice as many fastenings as there are wing(central of diffuser) , when they deform(central rivets) and the central rivets go, the tension is located in the center, creates flexion, and breaks symmetrically as shown in the photo.

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-22-2019 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #38
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
I assume that as a composite engineer, you know what tension is, now, that the tension is caused by the wind in the wing, the sides of the diffuser have no wing, and twice as many fastenings as there are wing(central of diffuser) , when they deform(central rivets) and the central rivets go, the tension is located in the center, creates flexion, and breaks symmetrically as shown in the photo.
I understand where you are coming from, but if you look back in my original post, you’ll see that I found it equally unusual and unlikely that the center of the carbon piece would break due to symmetric downward force caused by air pushing down on the lip 1) due to the small surface area of the lip in the middle section, and 2) because composite materials can withstand much MUCH greater forces than you can imagine. This is why I hypothesized that either it is a faulty part, or that something made contact with your lip without you knowing. Who knows, maybe the wind caused the part to create a sinusoidal wave, flopping up and down to the point where the structural integrity failed at a certain point. Either way, I wish the best for you and hope you get that piece replaced free of charge or any hassle from the dealership.
      04-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #39
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but if you look back in my original post, you’ll see that I found it equally unusual and unlikely that the center of the carbon piece would break due to symmetric downward force caused by air pushing down on the lip 1) due to the small surface area of the lip in the middle section, and 2) because composite materials can withstand much MUCH greater forces than you can imagine. This is why I hypothesized that either it is a faulty part, or that something made contact with your lip without you knowing. Who knows, maybe the wind caused the part to create a sinusoidal wave, flopping up and down to the point where the structural integrity failed at a certain point. Either way, I wish the best for you and hope you get that piece replaced free of charge or any hassle from the dealership.
Again, 174 miles per hour, it is not nonsense, you say that the section is small to create such a force, at that speed, it does not take a large section to create a force of a few kilos, it is not a solid piece of carbon fiber, is a 1mm sheet with a wing shape.
I'm not looking at it in resonance.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #40
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm kinda confused why the OP is so adamant about not accepting other Hypotheses. As Project_F87 (a composite engineer) and myself pointed out, its much more likely that the part was defective or possibly was hit by something. Neither of us are saying that it did not break from downforce alone, we're saying it would be extremely difficult for that to happen, even at 174mph. The other scenarios are a lot more probable. The OP does not know, and neither do we. Unless you had a scan done of the part prior to its destruction, you will likely never know..

Either way, I hope they replace it for you, one way or another, and install it properly this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #41
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I'm kinda confused why the OP is so adamant about not accepting other Hypotheses. As Project_F87 (a composite engineer) and myself pointed out, its much more likely that the part was defective or possibly was hit by something. Neither of us are saying that it did not break from downforce alone, we're saying it would be extremely difficult for that to happen, even at 174mph. The other scenarios are a lot more probable. The OP does not know, and neither do we. Unless you had a scan done of the part prior to its destruction, you will likely never know..

Either way, I hope they replace it for you, one way or another, and install it properly this time.
Because the piece did not break when it was in its place, it broke once the rivets were released (broken) , which caused it to fall, and at that time the wing became large and with a large angle of attack, what causes a brutal force.
Like I said, I'm a helicopter pilot and I know how aerodynamics work.
What I do assume is that to remove that piece from its place (to break the rivets), without glue, it has to go to everything the car offers.
Once the rivets come out, the piece breaks instantly.

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-22-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #42
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Because the piece did not break when it was placed in its place, it broke once the rivets were released,
Am confused as to how that has any bearing on this.. But good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #43
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Isn't it possible that the rivet were ripped out when that section of the spoiler broke?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #44
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

The way I see it happening is that the middle rivets lost hold and the center area was able to be pulled down by the wind enough to probably either break from stress alone or from clipping the road. I'm still with OP on this one
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
Closed Thread