BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > waiting for a baby, what to buy after m2c?

02-27-2024, 01:32 PM   #23
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I had 2 4-door cars (Acura TL, Lexus IS) before getting the M2, and was shocked that it was easier to get my little boy in and out it than both of them.

Beyond that, with the seat all the way up (using the handy button on the top side of the seat), I could STAND in the rear floorboard and buckle him in when it was raining or freezing cold. Granted I'm a tiny guy, but I was amazed that it was even possible in the M2 when it wasn't in my two previous 4-door cars.

He loved the car too.

He still uses a car seat, but gets in and out by himself without issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      02-27-2024, 01:46 PM   #24
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

I'm not quite there yet but I've had similar thoughts about my next car. When I pay off the F87 in about 2 years (expect to have a kid around then), do I keep it and get a second daily- X3/X4/Macan, or do I sell it, save some money and get a G80?

OR do I trade in for a G87 NOW and have an excuse to prolong my coupe ownership as long as possible? lol
      02-27-2024, 08:48 PM   #25
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Let me tell you... The new Mazda CX-90 I just got in a similar situation as you is incredible. It is a great compromise for people used to BMWs. Even my wife says the controls, design and layout is very reminiscent of BMWs. The inline 6 turbo with mild hybrid fill is smooth, sounds great and feels VERY BMW. Don't be fooled by the badge, Mazda swung for the fences on this one.

Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      02-28-2024, 04:45 AM   #26
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Not going to lie. The new cx70 caught my eye. Same size as current cx90 but only 5 seats. Looks sharp.
Appreciate 1
tokki203.50
      02-28-2024, 07:31 AM   #27
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
Let me tell you... The new Mazda CX-90 I just got in a similar situation as you is incredible. It is a great compromise for people used to BMWs. Even my wife says the controls, design and layout is very reminiscent of BMWs. The inline 6 turbo with mild hybrid fill is smooth, sounds great and feels VERY BMW. Don't be fooled by the badge, Mazda swung for the fences on this one.
I've considered this for my next daily as well, but it has some big shoes to fill for sure. My '15 RDX does everything so well, and drives like a new car with 144K on the clock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 07:51 AM   #28
Rondogger
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition; 2019 X3 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
X3 m40i would be a spectacular small family car. Super solid engine, great transmission, great interior quality and tech. I’d recommend against the full on X3M but I think the m40i would be perfect for you

If you still want an M car and don’t need an SUV, an F80 M3 would give you the space and practicality you need
I’ve got an X3 M40i. Beast of a car. In a good way. It’s no M2, for sure, but it boogies and handles so well for what it is.
Appreciate 2
munja57.50
      02-28-2024, 02:45 PM   #29
selkies
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by munja View Post
lol i will try!

Im getting a nuna pipa infant seat in next few days and will report back if we can all fit. Im 6’2 and I doubt it but we will see.
We have the exact same Nuna system and it fits absolutely fine in the back of the M2. The front passenger seat is further up a little bit but it's doable on short trips if you just want to stick to a one car solution. That's the beauty with the F87. The rear seat space is actually decent for a coupe of this size. The only thing I would caution about is the need to open the doors wider to account for the ingress and the lift of the carseat itself but that's not that big of a deal once you get used to it. YMMV but My 4mo daughter seems to sleep better in the loud and rocky M2 Comp over the DD suv.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 02:56 PM   #30
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkies View Post
We have the exact same Nuna system and it fits absolutely fine in the back of the M2. The front passenger seat is further up a little bit but it's doable on short trips if you just want to stick to a one car solution. That's the beauty with the F87. The rear seat space is actually decent for a coupe of this size. The only thing I would caution about is the need to open the doors wider to account for the ingress and the lift of the carseat itself but that's not that big of a deal once you get used to it. YMMV but My 4mo daughter seems to sleep better in the loud and rocky M2 Comp over the DD suv.

We had the Nuna pipa. It was tight putting into the back seat with the front seat folded forward, but it did fit. Fortunately with rear facing I could just tilt it back with the kid strapped in and push it through.

One of the easiest and best fitting seats I've used is a cheap $60 cosco seat that people raved about for traveling with. I've found the M2 to be finicky with car seats and being able to tighten them down well.

Now that the kids are older I have two WAYB Pico seats for quick trips. And they are good for traveling on planes.
      02-28-2024, 05:35 PM   #31
fastb4ck
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Lots of people put baby seats in an M2(C)s. You really don’t need to get rid of it.
A rear facing seat wont fit without someone in the front being uncomfortable I would imagine?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:47 PM   #32
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastb4ck View Post
A rear facing seat wont fit without someone in the front being uncomfortable I would imagine?
Depends how tall you are. I'm 5' 10 and could drive with a rear facing behind me, but the rear facing seat is propped on the driver's seat. There is no gap. If I create a gap I'm not in a comfortable position.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:49 PM   #33
bhong
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastb4ck View Post
Both my 6 foot self and 5 foot wife can easily fit in front of our rear facing seat(Nuna Rava). Since the seat has to be moved up closer to the dash it allows your feet to be resting on the inclined part of flooring vs being flatfooted. Makes it feel more cockpit like. All body shapes and lengths will be different but you can do an experiment at home. Move the front passenger seat ALL the way down and forward and see if you can fit without your knees touching. Then you can make minor adjustments to distance and recline for comfort without rubbing up against the car seat behind you.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:56 PM   #34
bhong
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Depends how tall you are. I'm 5' 10 and could drive with a rear facing behind me, but the rear facing seat is propped on the driver's seat. There is no gap. If I create a gap I'm not in a comfortable position.
I'm a bit taller than you and fit with about 1/2 inch gap between the seats. I've had to play with the height, tilt, and recline but adjusted pretty easily. How often will I sit there? Never while the car's in motion lol but my wife fits great. She say's its more roomier than our Mazda CX-5. To my disbelief, we did the same experiment in the CX-5 and I cannot fit in the front. Weird but true.....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 06:03 PM   #35
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The M2 has a much larger back seat than people realize. It's a big plus over the G series, which has a smaller rear seating area even in the 8 series.
      02-28-2024, 06:12 PM   #36
fastb4ck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhong View Post
Both my 6 foot self and 5 foot wife can easily fit in front of our rear facing seat(Nuna Rava). Since the seat has to be moved up closer to the dash it allows your feet to be resting on the inclined part of flooring vs being flatfooted. Makes it feel more cockpit like. All body shapes and lengths will be different but you can do an experiment at home. Move the front passenger seat ALL the way down and forward and see if you can fit without your knees touching. Then you can make minor adjustments to distance and recline for comfort without rubbing up against the car seat behind you.

Thanks, the Nuna Rava looks promising. I have 2 kids, my 3 year old sits forward facing no problem, but we also have a 3 month old, so when ever we go somewhere as a family we take the daily (which is very comfortable) 2023 Honda Pilot Trailsport, but I wouldn't mind taking the m2c on some weekend drives with the whole family. My wife is 5'3/5'4" so it should be fine
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5531.00
      02-28-2024, 06:17 PM   #37
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drp087 View Post
I'm not quite there yet but I've had similar thoughts about my next car. When I pay off the F87 in about 2 years (expect to have a kid around then), do I keep it and get a second daily- X3/X4/Macan, or do I sell it, save some money and get a G80?

OR do I trade in for a G87 NOW and have an excuse to prolong my coupe ownership as long as possible? lol
Things to note, prices of cars are going up, so an X3/4/Macan is going to cost and arm and a leg, you also have to insure two cars instead of one if you're planning on keeping the F87.
The G80 would solve that by having a fun, manual, sports car that's practical enough to seat 4 comfortably and 5 in a pinch. But you do miss out on the practicality of having a hatch instead of a trunk.
Back seat space in the G87 is smaller than the F87. I could sit comfortably in my F87C but less comfortably in my G87 due to the sloping roof. Something to think about.

How about...buying a fun smaller hatchback that is practical, fuel efficient, and a blast to drive while keeping your insurance premiums down.
I see a VW GTI or Golf R in your future.
drp087233.00
      02-28-2024, 07:27 PM   #38
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Not going to lie. The new cx70 caught my eye. Same size as current cx90 but only 5 seats. Looks sharp.
Yes, but its the exact same car just with no 3rd row and slightly different front bumper. Its also not any cheaper. I would just get the 90 and keep the 3rd row folded. Whichever you choose just make sure you avoid the plug-in hybrid, it is riddled with issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 08:58 PM   #39
Backroads Bimmer
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I have a 2020 m2c and my kids and I love it. We started off rear facing and now use Britax one for life in the forward facing position. I am 5'11" and my wife is 5'4" and we both have plenty of room. My children are four and five and they fit in the car fine. The back seat of the m2 is large enough that when I set the front seat all the way forward I can step into the back to get them in their seat if needed. This comes in handy in the rain. I also like being able to get in the back and put them in their seats when I am in a sketchy area. I put seat back guards on the front seats and seat protectors on the back seats and my interior is holding up well.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 11:31 PM   #40
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I had 2 4-door cars (Acura TL, Lexus IS) before getting the M2, and was shocked that it was easier to get my little boy in and out it than both of them.

Beyond that, with the seat all the way up (using the handy button on the top side of the seat), I could STAND in the rear floorboard and buckle him in when it was raining or freezing cold. Granted I'm a tiny guy, but I was amazed that it was even possible in the M2 when it wasn't in my two previous 4-door cars.

He loved the car too.

He still uses a car seat, but gets in and out by himself without issue.
Lovely picture!

Looking forward to this summer. I have 2 boys. One is 5 years old and mini is 6 months now Will try my best to let them ride in the M2 as much as possible
      02-29-2024, 05:08 AM   #41
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads Bimmer View Post
I have a 2020 m2c and my kids and I love it. We started off rear facing and now use Britax one for life in the forward facing position. I am 5'11" and my wife is 5'4" and we both have plenty of room. My children are four and five and they fit in the car fine. The back seat of the m2 is large enough that when I set the front seat all the way forward I can step into the back to get them in their seat if needed. This comes in handy in the rain. I also like being able to get in the back and put them in their seats when I am in a sketchy area. I put seat back guards on the front seats and seat protectors on the back seats and my interior is holding up well.
This for the win. I do the same. I hop right into the back with them and stand inside the car while buckling them in. Super easy
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 11:25 AM   #42
fastb4ck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads Bimmer View Post
Which rear facing one did you use, the Nuna as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 02:24 PM   #43
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
M2 has gotta a trunk, toss the baby in there.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 2
Maynard3848.00
      03-01-2024, 08:09 PM   #44
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by munja View Post
hey all,

I read a lot of threads on forums already but i would love to hear from ppl who own m2.

I ordered m3 but my priorities changed and i dont want to spend 100k right now

Im thinking about m340i or maybe i just get the x3/x5 to not sacrifice any comfort?
If I go m340 route i hope i would be able to track it 2 weekends a year … is that doable with the stock car?

I drove m340 3 years ago and it was great car, but after when i got into m2 i felt something special and i knew ill buy it right away. I didnt have that feeling with any car i can afford before m2

thank you all for comments!
Man up and get the M3!
Appreciate 0