BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 stage 1 turbo upgrade for circuit racing, what supporting hardware is necessary?

08-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

N55 stage 1 turbo upgrade for circuit racing, what supporting hardware is necessary?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit more mid range and top end power for circuit racing, what hardware upgrade is necessary to support a stage 1 hybrid turbo like a TTE460?

I understand the stock fuel system is barely enough to run the stock turbo at 100%.
Circuit racing usually requires a lot more fueling capacity.

Current mods: upgraded DP, intercooler and charge pipe.

To support a TTE460, do I need HPFP and or LPFP? WMI? Turbo inlet? Appreciate any advice.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6Driver View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit more mid range and top end power for circuit racing, what hardware upgrade is necessary to support a stage 1 hybrid turbo like a TTE460?

I understand the stock fuel system is barely enough to run the stock turbo at 100%.
Circuit racing usually requires a lot more fueling capacity.

Current mods: upgraded DP, intercooler and charge pipe.

To support a TTE460, do I need HPFP and or LPFP? WMI? Turbo inlet? Appreciate any advice.

TIA
I'm super interested to know this also.

From reading posts it's clear that the standard LPFP is not up to big power, but would an upgraded LPFP (e.g. Fuel-It) be up to the job, or is an HPFP the only way to go?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
I'm super interested to know this also.

From reading posts it's clear that the standard LPFP is not up to big power, but would an upgraded LPFP (e.g. Fuel-It) be up to the job, or is an HPFP the only way to go?
Correct me if I am wrong. From my limited reading on this forum, it seems, and at least for a stage 1 turbo, either HPFP or WMI, one or the other is necessary. HPFP, so you can run E30 to reach required octane level. Without HPFP, E30 would exceed the fueling limit? Adding WMI alone without HPFP would also solve the fueling problem for stage 1 turbo as methanol would increase the octane level via the intake manifold?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

from what i read, for stage 1 turbo, no other mods are necessary aside from a tune, intercooler for better cooling, and maybe a downpipe. Stage 1 uses stock turbo housing with modified compressor wheels right?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:05 AM   #5
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
from what i read, for stage 1 turbo, no other mods are necessary aside from a tune, intercooler for better cooling, and maybe a downpipe. Stage 1 uses stock turbo housing with modified compressor wheels right?
Yes bigger compressor wheel and sometimes with clipped turbine as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:29 AM   #6
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

@SeanWRT had a setup with stage1 upgrade. iirc he run it on track.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:29 AM   #7
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

I'm running a Dinan turbo on 91octane. After a custom tune the stock hpfp would crash super hard(on the dyno it was fine, once on the street the issue presented itself). So I would suggest you run the OTS tune of your choice or get a custom tune and see how the chips fall. Some cars have better fuel pumps than others. Mine was super weak so I upgraded to an XDI pump. Depending on how much you need, you might be able to get away with one of the B58 pumps people are hot for.

Also, what fuel are you planning on running? Our cars are octane limited so if you're running crappy fuel like me, you'll find that you can't hold peak boost at the top of the rev range. My current plan is to implement WMI to increase cooling and octane but I don't know how practical that is for circuit racing.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
I'm running a Dinan turbo on 91octane. After a custom tune the stock hpfp would crash super hard(on the dyno it was fine, once on the street the issue presented itself). So I would suggest you run the OTS tune of your choice or get a custom tune and see how the chips fall. Some cars have better fuel pumps than others. Mine was super weak so I upgraded to an XDI pump. Depending on how much you need, you might be able to get away with one of the B58 pumps people are hot for.

Also, what fuel are you planning on running? Our cars are octane limited so if you're running crappy fuel like me, you'll find that you can't hold peak boost at the top of the rev range. My current plan is to implement WMI to increase cooling and octane but I don't know how practical that is for circuit racing.
Thanks for the reply. A friend's M2 had a similar problem running a BM3 E30 tune where it was fine on the dyno but went into limp mode as soon as hitting the track (circuit racing). Hence my hesitation to go stage 1 turbo without upgrading the fuel system. Is the B58 pump a direct bolt on? How much more flow does it have over the N55 pump?

We have 93 octane equivalent fuel over here. With WMI, I guess it depends on the type of circuit racing, if it's time attack style racing where you only do 3 to 4 hot lap each session, WMI should work fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #9
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6Driver View Post
Thanks for the reply. A friend's M2 had a similar problem running a BM3 E30 tune where it was fine on the dyno but went into limp mode as soon as hitting the track (circuit racing). Hence my hesitation to go stage 1 turbo without upgrading the fuel system. Is the B58 pump a direct bolt on? How much more flow does it have over the N55 pump?

We have 93 octane equivalent fuel over here. With WMI, I guess it depends on the type of circuit racing, if it's time attack style racing where you only do 3 to 4 hot lap each session, WMI should work fine.
Honestly, the b58 pump business came about after I went with an XDI pump so I haven't paid too much attention to it but I do know it was about as plug and play as one could expect. Some minor physical modification needs to happen so it can bolt on but no tuning parameters need to be changed(unlike the XDI pump which needs to be accounted for in the tune, nothing serious, it's literally a drop down selection but it's something that's needed).

There have been conflicting reports about how much overhead the b58 pump really offers. That said, the new supra is making serious power on stock everything so if you were to get that fuel pump, logic dictates that you'll have enough fuel.

I think it all comes down to how much you want to experiment. If you have the time and willingness to mess around a bit, you can probably utilize the b58 pump(I think there might be different versions of this pump so I would advocate you do further research). Or, you can get one of the XDI pumps and just go race.

Theres a thread in the N55 forum within the 3 series area of the site where you can read more about peoples exploits with the b58 pump. Edit: here's a link https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1589774

I hope this is helpful

Last edited by M2OG; 08-18-2019 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      08-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Natek, Thanks for the info. I'll look into both options a bit further. But I agree I should probably just get a XDI pump and go race.
Appreciate 0