BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 vs M2C realization: about the way these sound

08-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

M2 vs M2C realization: about the way these sound

For disclosure, I don't own an M2 but I appreciate several aspects of the M2. I was heavily considering it but by the time it came out, there were too many little things that I didn't like about the M2, that I gave up my slot and bought another car. However, one thing I liked about the M2 was that it sounded great on the outside. The exhaust sound was one of the better modern sounds I had heard. I have now heard several M2s and M2Cs including yesterday when I heard an M2C in full anger going up an on-ramp. It sounded terrible. So those of you with regular M2s, point for you! : )

Yes, you might not be as fast going up the ramp, but at least you are providing pleasant sounds to other car enthusiasts.

Final, thought on the same subject. I have yet to hear an "upgraded" M2 exhaust that sounds as good as the stock M2 exhaust so if you have the best in class outside sound, leave it alone!

Best wishes.
Appreciate 4
F87EVO4020.50
termigni1080.00
Diver2198.00
Seagull287.50
      08-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Final, thought on the same subject. I have yet to hear an "upgraded" M2 exhaust that sounds as good as the stock M2 exhaust so if you have the best in class outside sound, leave it alone!
You're going to anger a lot of MPE owners with this one!

Honestly, the car does have a great sounding stock exhaust. My only addition was a Fabspeed Downpipe, which added just a little bit more sound without being too much. I think it's perfect. To each their own!
Appreciate 3
BruceM984.50
      08-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I have yet to hear an "upgraded" M2 exhaust that sounds as good as the stock M2 exhaust

*RemusUSA has entered the chat*
Appreciate 4
AngryBaby344.50
KO768.00
      08-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It does sound very good stock for a non-V8 car. I have had a few people ask me what exhaust I have on the car (it’s stock) which is always a good sign.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      08-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
For disclosure, I don't own an M2 but I appreciate several aspects of the M2. I was heavily considering it but by the time it came out, there were too many little things that I didn't like about the M2, that I gave up my slot and bought another car. However, one thing I liked about the M2 was that it sounded great on the outside. The exhaust sound was one of the better modern sounds I had heard. I have now heard several M2s and M2Cs including yesterday when I heard an M2C in full anger going up an on-ramp. It sounded terrible. So those of you with regular M2s, point for you! : )

Yes, you might not be as fast going up the ramp, but at least you are providing pleasant sounds to other car enthusiasts.

Best wishes.
Would be interested to hear what exhaust systems you've heard to make this determination.

To my ears, the MPE sounds utterly fantastic.
Appreciate 2
KO768.00
Zuzu2815.00
      08-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Riveting post nacho.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Big Brother is hearing you (soon).

See for example:
  • here ("Mercedes-AMG warns next-generation sports cars will be quieter - EU legislation is set to strangle once-proud soundtracks of performance manufacturers");
  • here ("Mercedes-AMG exhausts will be quieter here because of EU regulations - Tightening restrictions mean fewer crackles and pops");
  • here ("'Acoustic cameras' tested in bid to cut noisy vehicles");
  • here ("They’re up and running in France. First ‘noise’ cameras from the cops trialing on real roads and just one catches hundreds on it’s first Sunday ‘live’. Uh oh…");
  • here ("‘Noise cameras’ will know if your car's too loud");
  • here ("Silence of the Lambos: Council want to end supercar roar on London streets by using sound cameras").
Name:  NoiseCamera.jpg
Views: 3213
Size:  73.5 KB
      08-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
However, one thing I liked about the M2 was that it sounded great on the outside. The exhaust sound was one of the better modern sounds I had heard. I have now heard several M2s and M2Cs including yesterday when I heard an M2C in full anger going up an on-ramp. It sounded terrible.

While I'm not going to argue that N55 has a much better exhaust tune than the S55, I do want to point out that exhaust sound is a massively overrated feature

Why? Because cabin insulation in new BMW's is on-point. Even with ASD turned off and with a catless straight-pipe exhaust system, interior noise has nothing to do with exterior noise. And don't get me started on Drone.

While I love the OG M2, I'd rather have the S55 engine than a good exhaust sound I personally won't even hear.

I do agree that stock OG M2 sound is the best though. The M-Performance Exhaust on my OG M2 was a contributing factor in why I sold the car. Over-priced perpetually droning piece of garbage.
Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
Diver2198.00
      08-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

See for example:
  • here ("Mercedes-AMG warns next-generation sports cars will be quieter - EU legislation is set to strangle once-proud soundtracks of performance manufacturers");
  • here ("Mercedes-AMG exhausts will be quieter here because of EU regulations - Tightening restrictions mean fewer crackles and pops");
  • here ("They’re up and running in France. First ‘noise’ cameras from the cops trialing on real roads and just one catches hundreds on it’s first Sunday ‘live’. Uh oh…");
  • here ("Silence of the Lambos: Council want to end supercar roar on London streets by using sound cameras").
Attachment 2119362
Dont worry england will lead the way when they exit out of that failed union called Europe

And all these draco laws will be cast aside and fall like a pile of dried leaves
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
While I'm not going to argue that N55 has a much better exhaust tune than the S55, I do want to point out that exhaust sound is a massively overrated feature

Why? Because cabin insulation in new BMW's is on-point. Even with ASD turned off and with a catless straight-pipe exhaust system, interior noise has nothing to do with exterior noise. And don't get me started on Drone.

While I love the OG M2, I'd rather have the S55 engine than a good exhaust sound I personally won't even hear.

I do agree that stock OG M2 sound is the best though. The M-Performance Exhaust on my OG M2 was a contributing factor in why I sold the car. Over-priced perpetually droning piece of garbage.
Amg worked extra hard on their 63s to make sure the bi turbo engine was acoustically pleasing as it was performing

Everyone knows the aural satisfaction is half the experience of a sports car!

Im not sure how you say you had mpe in your og and could barely hear it!? Did you ever open the flaps, sometimes im like damn maybe thats a lil overkill!
Appreciate 1
KO768.00
      08-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Dont worry england will lead the way when they exit out of that failed union called Europe
And all these draco laws will be cast aside and fall like a pile of dried leaves
Canada also has a pilot project of 'noise cameras' in Edmonton, but something went wrong at the start...

See here ("Vehicle noise monitors that encourage more noise ‘reason to discontinue pilot’: Edmonton mayor") and here ("Edmonton turns off 4 vehicle noise displays after complaints of stunting, intentional noise").
      08-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Would be interested to hear what exhaust systems you've heard to make this determination.

To my ears, the MPE sounds utterly fantastic.
Exhaust sounds are just personal, like Coke, Mexican Coke or Pepsi, Diet Coke, etc. I am a big fan of MPE and have owned MPE exhausts in my E46. Loved it.

So for my taste buds, the stock exhaust is just right. The MPE sounds better at idle than stock but like stock exhaust more as revs go up. Just my taste. I have not conducted a brand survey but some sounds have some advantages at idle or revs but overall, the stock M2 exhaust is great to me.

Also, you cannot make gold out of tin so any exhaust on the original M2 will probably sound better to ME than anything in the M2C. The tone is just not pleasant to ME. Didn't mean to start an exhaust war.

I simply wanted to express my appreciation for the original M2 exhaust tone outside the car compared to the latest M2 version that is getting all the love.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
KO768.00
      08-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:

Best wishes.
What part of Cali are you in? I'd love for you to hear my setup
      08-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Ah, but we won’t actually *leave* the EU.
They’ll say we have, but Junker will still have his grubby, corrupt shit stained fingers on us.
The fucking stinking cockwomble.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Exhaust sounds are just personal, like Coke, Mexican Coke or Pepsi, Diet Coke, etc. I am a big fan of MPE and have owned MPE exhausts in my E46. Loved it.

So for my taste buds, the stock exhaust is just right. The MPE sounds better at idle than stock but like stock exhaust more as revs go up. Just my taste. I have not conducted a brand survey but some sounds have some advantages at idle or revs but overall, the stock M2 exhaust is great to me.

Also, you cannot make gold out of tin so any exhaust on the original M2 will probably sound better to ME than anything in the M2C. The tone is just not pleasant to ME. Didn't mean to start an exhaust war.

I simply wanted to express my appreciation for the original M2 exhaust tone outside the car compared to the latest M2 version that is getting all the love.
Agree with you 100%.. Was just curious what you compared it to. I prefer the MPE myself, but may be a bit bias

Also agree with you on the M2C (at least from an OEM exhaust standpoint, I havent heard one in person with non-OEM)
Appreciate 1
DanG10547.50
      08-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Canada also has a pilot project of 'noise cameras' in Edmonton, but something went wrong at the start...

See here ("Vehicle noise monitors that encourage more noise ‘reason to discontinue pilot’: Edmonton mayor") and here ("Edmonton turns off 4 vehicle noise displays after complaints of stunting, intentional noise").
I wasn't just referring to the volume of exhausts, I mean the combination of tone and volume. I find the M2 pleasant, the M2C less.

The reason I expressed my appreciation for the external sound of the N55 M2 is that it was one of the better sounding (to Me) newer turbo cars out there. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the M2C and get upset people in retrospect, just that it's getting all the attention and wanted to express my appreciation for the originals sound.
Appreciate 2
KO768.00
ried791.50
      08-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #17
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Agree with you 100%.. Was just curious what you compared it to. I prefer the MPE myself, but may be a bit bias

Also agree with you on the M2C (at least from an OEM exhaust standpoint, I havent heard one in person with non-OEM)
MPE is good glad you like it. One aspect that I didn't address is that the MPE might be better for the driver if active sound is turned off. I was only referring to sound as a spectator. I am still horrified by active sound so I would see why as an owner that turned it off, a different exhaust that to replace Active Sound would be great. If I was an owner, I would turn it off and probably look to increase interior sound mechanically too. In that case the MPE is great because it increases the volume slightly without becoming obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:

See for example:
Attachment 2119362
Problem I see with that is all existing cars would be grandfathered in. Meaning it would take a very long time for those devices to be worth while.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #19
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Amg worked extra hard on their 63s to make sure the bi turbo engine was acoustically pleasing as it was performing

Everyone knows the aural satisfaction is half the experience of a sports car!

Im not sure how you say you had mpe in your og and could barely hear it!? Did you ever open the flaps, sometimes im like damn maybe thats a lil overkill!
Yeah, AMG is doing it right. BMW just slaps some fake in-cabin noise.

From what I've read, consumer feedback reports continuously highlight cabin silence as an important factor. BMW took note of this and that's why now we have ASD.

I've opened the flaps. I even wrote a post on how-to bypass the 'track-mode' switch in the back. Weekend Warrior only? Maybe. Daily or Highway duty, fuck no.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      08-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #20
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I love my MPE and it definitely sounds better than stock. I do have ASD bypassed.
Appreciate 5
nachob2309.50
detroitm22427.50
ried791.50
KO768.00
      08-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #21
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I love my MPE and it definitely sounds better than stock. I do have ASD bypassed.
Try driving on a highway at a fixed speed with all the windows closed and radio off

The drone gets nauseating
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #22
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

See for example:
  • here ("They're up and running in France. First 'noise' cameras from the cops trialing on real roads and just one catches hundreds on it's first Sunday 'live'. Uh oh…");
  • here ("'Noise cameras' will know if your car's too loud");
Attachment 2119362
Took a while but looks like 1984 finally arrived.
Appreciate 0