BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Recommended seat replacement

07-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
GreyAggie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Recommended seat replacement

So after a couple of track events now, I really want to change my seat and maybe both. I'd want something that is aesthetically pleasing, yet highly functional for track use. And that would eventually facilitate a harness.

I don't even know where to start, what to look for, and what I should know.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyAggie View Post
So after a couple of track events now, I really want to change my seat and maybe both. I'd want something that is aesthetically pleasing, yet highly functional for track use. And that would eventually facilitate a harness.

I would suggest a visit to Winding Road there in Austin if you haven’t already - they have quite a few seats on display. Really important to sit in them first and see how they feel - fit and comfort are very individual when it comes to seats. Take your helmet too. Brey Krause make some awesome mounts that can implement the oem electric sliders.

Keep in mind that safety is a system - and seats are just a part of it. Make sure you are good with all that entails both on the street and the track. On my track M3 one of the first things I did was seats, harnesses, 1/2 cage, & neck restraint. This is a track only car though and would not be comfortable with it on the street. Plenty of people do but it’s just not within my comfort zone. On my M2 that is more street focused than track I did not want to go this route. I went with the Schroth quick fit pro on the M2. Kept me adequately secure in the seat and while turning some relatively quick laps at cota.

Where have you been tracking at?
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
GreyAggie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:

I would suggest a visit to Winding Road there in Austin if you haven’t already - they have quite a few seats on display. Really important to sit in them first and see how they feel - fit and comfort are very individual when it comes to seats. Take your helmet too. Brey Krause make some awesome mounts that can implement the oem electric sliders.

Keep in mind that safety is a system - and seats are just a part of it. Make sure you are good with all that entails both on the street and the track. On my track M3 one of the first things I did was seats, harnesses, 1/2 cage, & neck restraint. This is a track only car though and would not be comfortable with it on the street. Plenty of people do but it’s just not within my comfort zone. On my M2 that is more street focused than track I did not want to go this route. I went with the Schroth quick fit pro on the M2. Kept me adequately secure in the seat and while turning some relatively quick laps at cota.

Where have you been tracking at?
Thanks for the information! I was definitely planning on going to Winding Road.

So far I've been out to COTA twice and Driveway Austin once, but I plan on tracking the car often come fall.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 01:30 AM   #4
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I agree with OG Shark. Adding a harness to factory seats (and adjusting bolster stiffness to full) will keep you plenty secured.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4654.50
M2guru374.50
      07-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

So far I've been out to COTA twice and Driveway Austin once, but I plan on tracking the car often come fall.
Awesome, welcome to the addiction. Sounds like BMW track presence is growing a bit in this area specifically with M2's. You're going to like the cooler fall air - its freaking hot out there on track right now. Did COTA with Chin in June & the heat was brutal on both me and the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I agree with OG Shark. Adding a harness to factory seats (and adjusting bolster stiffness to full) will keep you plenty secured.
Just to expand on this a bit more - definitely helps keep you secure - but look into the relationship between harnesses and seats a bit. Want to make sure you are not setting up potential issues with retractable vs fixed back seats, harnesses, submarining, that kind of stuff. That is where the Schroth Quick Fit Pro was the choice for me. 4pt but with anti-submarining tech, easy install and removal for track day use, & much more secure than the oem 3pt.
Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
M2guru374.50
      07-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

From your profile it looks like you've got a Competition, that means you have the M4 seats, right? I think unfortunately those can't be used with the QuickFits since they don't have anywhere for the belts to pass through (normally they'd go under the headrest).

I think the problem you run into is really if you're swapping seats, that also means you want proper 5 or 6 point harnesses so then you need a harness bar too. Also, not sure what club you run with and their rules but most of the clubs I run with also require equal seat & harness for both seats for instructor safety. It can get pricey real quick (of course, safety is worth spending money on) and harness bar does really reduce the street-ability of the car too.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      07-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just to expand on this a bit more - definitely helps keep you secure - but look into the relationship between harnesses and seats a bit. Want to make sure you are not setting up potential issues with retractable vs fixed back seats, harnesses, submarining, that kind of stuff. That is where the Schroth Quick Fit Pro was the choice for me. 4pt but with anti-submarining tech, easy install and removal for track day use, & much more secure than the oem 3pt.
Yeah, fully agree. Anti-sub feature is very important in 4pt harnesses. And to be honest here I miss the Recaro seats that came with my previous Mustang. They were comfortable, had fantastic bolstering to hold you in place and in comfort, and they had the pass through for the harnesses.

I find the BMW seats ok, but I miss the Recaros. That and the wonderful V8 is what I would love to place in the BMW chassis.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      07-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
From your profile it looks like you've got a Competition, that means you have the M4 seats, right? I think unfortunately those can't be used with the QuickFits since they don't have anywhere for the belts to pass through (normally they'd go under the headrest).

I think the problem you run into is really if you're swapping seats, that also means you want proper 5 or 6 point harnesses so then you need a harness bar too. Also, not sure what club you run with and their rules but most of the clubs I run with also require equal seat & harness for both seats for instructor safety. It can get pricey real quick (of course, safety is worth spending money on) and harness bar does really reduce the street-ability of the car too.
Oops didn't realize the comps had different seats - sorry about that OP. Really do like the QFP in this situation. I guess another reason the OG > comp

Very good point about replicating what you do for the driver on the passenger side. I know I wouldn't want a ride in a car that didn't have that.

Quote:
Yeah, fully agree. Anti-sub feature is very important in 4pt harnesses. And to be honest here I miss the Recaro seats that came with my previous Mustang. They were comfortable, had fantastic bolstering to hold you in place and in comfort, and they had the pass through for the harnesses.

I find the BMW seats ok, but I miss the Recaros. That and the wonderful V8 is what I would love to place in the BMW chassis.
Ahem *cough* S65 *cough* E92 M3 *cough* - don't forget about that little guy if you feel like there is an 8 cylinder size void in your life

It's a shame the comp doesn't have a provision like that. I was pleasantly surprised with the stock OG seat on the track - definitely could have better side bolstering like you said but did a pretty decent job holding me in along with the QFP (better than I expected at least). I guess more like could have been a lot worse. Sounds like those recaros are to you like the OMP HTE-R's are to me in my track M3. Those things are super comfortable for a race seat.

Reclining seats definitely also bring up a whole other thing to consider here.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahem *cough* S65 *cough* E92 M3 *cough* - don't forget about that little guy if you feel like there is an 8 cylinder size void in your life

It's a shame the comp doesn't have a provision like that. I was pleasantly surprised with the stock OG seat on the track - definitely could have better side bolstering like you said but did a pretty decent job holding me in along with the QFP (better than I expected at least). I guess more like could have been a lot worse. Sounds like those recaros are to you like the OMP HTE-R's are to me in my track M3. Those things are super comfortable for a race seat.

Reclining seats definitely also bring up a whole other thing to consider here.
All the coughing aside, my 2014 Mustang with 420hp & 370 lb-ft with Recaro seats, a Torsen Diff and a 6-speed manual cost me $32k brand new. With a few bolt-ons it was up to 460hp and 390lb-ft. Plus no worries about AITs, timing pull, turbo lag etc. It just worked.

Sure, if I spend 60k + I can get the kind of experience the Mustang delivered, but why spend twice as much for nicer leather and a built in Nav. Just saying. My used BMW M2 was more than a brand new Mustang. It's a bit nicer place to be in, but it's not as quick or thrilling

And by the way, I have passed a few E92 M3s on track in that car. With $4k in suspension and tire upgrades it was no joke. Plus it sounded a whole lot better doing it. I do kind of miss it at times. BMW is nice and quick. The mustang was scary FAST.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-23-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
All the coughing aside, my 2014 Mustang with 420hp & 370 lb-ft with Recaro seats, a Torsen Diff and a 6-speed manual cost me $32k brand new. With a few bolt-ons it was up to 460hp and 390lb-ft. Plus no worries about AITs, timing pull, turbo lag etc. It just worked.

Sure, if I spend 60k + I can get the kind of experience the Mustang delivered, but why spend twice as much for nicer leather and a built in Nav. Just saying. My used BMW M2 was more than a brand new Mustang. It's a bit nicer place to be in, but it's not as quick or thrilling

And by the way, I have passed a few E92 M3s on track in that car. With $4k in suspension and tire upgrades it was no joke. Plus it sounded a whole lot better doing it. I do kind of miss it at times. BMW is nice and quick. The mustang was scary FAST.
Wasn't hating on yours or any other mustang. I've owned a few and have a pretty good idea of what they are & what they can be. You mentioned putting a coyote (assuming thats what you had) into a BMW - I just said don't forget about the S65 for a pretty awesome NA V8 fix in a bmw...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Keep in mind that you may have to replace both seats. A lot of clubs require equal seats and restraints for driver and passenger.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 01:31 AM   #12
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wasn't hating on yours or any other mustang. I've owned a few and have a pretty good idea of what they are & what they can be. You mentioned putting a coyote (assuming thats what you had) into a BMW - I just said don't forget about the S65 for a pretty awesome NA V8 fix in a bmw...
Oh, I see what you mean. E92 V8 into an M2 would be pretty sweet. It would totaly change the feel of the car from mid range torque to high end punch. That's not a bad idea at all. I wonder if anyone has done that...

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
GreyAggie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome, welcome to the addiction. Sounds like BMW track presence is growing a bit in this area specifically with M2's. You're going to like the cooler fall air - its freaking hot out there on track right now. Did COTA with Chin in June & the heat was brutal on both me and the car.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The QFP looks like a great option. Would definitely be easier than trying to replace both seats and some sort of harness to accompany.

However, I can't seem to find it available anywhere for the M2 Comp. Do you guys have a suggestions on sourcing them or do the seats not allow the QFPs to be used?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
The QFP looks like a great option. Would definitely be easier than trying to replace both seats and some sort of harness to accompany.

However, I can't seem to find it available anywhere for the M2 Comp. Do you guys have a suggestions on sourcing them or do the seats not allow the QFPs to be used?
Yeah sorry about that - didn’t realize the comp has different seats as the OG. Doesn’t look like those seats would have a good way of holding the shoulder straps in place. Looks like a seat change would be needed to run any kind of harness.

You might still have a couple of options - maybe kind of a hybrid track/street seat with passthroughs for the shoulders that has some comfort and can recline for access to the back seat. Might talk to schroth to see if the QFP would work with that setup (the OG uses the E82/92 model). Keeps the back seat still viable and not have the potential concern of a harness bar on the street. Or go harness bar with the new seats and then you have multiple options open up. Would really think about a 6pt if you go this route.

I’m going to be at cota 8/31 & 9/1 with chin if you want to check out the QFPs. Obviously not the same with the seat differences but might be useful to see if you are even comfortable with the QFPs.
Appreciate 0