BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Fuel starvation on track, drivetrain failure

08-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #45
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
So how does the Stage 1 turbo work with the stock tune ? Any issues ? It appears to work well with the BM3 stg2 OTS, from what I’ve seen here.
Works fine. No lag whatsoever but I still have the stock intercooler. That will change soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #46
SuperMarioM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 M Performance Edition - 6mt

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.75]
I want to revive this thread, mainly because I have been experiencing this problem at Sebring in turn 17 (a super fast, long right hander). Unfortunately for me, this resulted in a cracked piston and therefore required a complete engine rebuild. I was running an F80 Paul Johnson custom tune at the time, I thought that was the cause...

The N55-b was completely rebuilt with Carrillo rods and CP pistons and VAC bearings. I also did the crank hub since everything was disassembled anyway. To my surprise, when I went back to Sebring this weekend the car stuttered again coming out of turn 17 for just a second, but kept going. I took it easy for about 1/2 a lap, trying to ignore what just happened but everything seemed fine and by the time I got back to turn 17, obviously there was even less gas in the tank.

Then it happened! Full on stutter / drivetrain malfunction. The car was coughing and running super rough. I thought I blew the motor again and freaked. Drove to the pits and started talking to other BMW guys and sure enough somebody said "fuel starvation". I googled it and here we are.

Has anyone else has this level of issues? And does the Dinan kit really solve this? I already have the LPFP from Fuel-it installed, and obviously that alone does not solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #47
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMarioM2 View Post
I want to revive this thread, mainly because I have been experiencing this problem at Sebring in turn 17 (a super fast, long right hander). Unfortunately for me, this resulted in a cracked piston and therefore required a complete engine rebuild. I was running an F80 Paul Johnson custom tune at the time, I thought that was the cause...

The N55-b was completely rebuilt with Carrillo rods and CP pistons and VAC bearings. I also did the crank hub since everything was disassembled anyway. To my surprise, when I went back to Sebring this weekend the car stuttered again coming out of turn 17 for just a second, but kept going. I took it easy for about 1/2 a lap, trying to ignore what just happened but everything seemed fine and by the time I got back to turn 17, obviously there was even less gas in the tank.

Then it happened! Full on stutter / drivetrain malfunction. The car was coughing and running super rough. I thought I blew the motor again and freaked. Drove to the pits and started talking to other BMW guys and sure enough somebody said "fuel starvation". I googled it and here we are.

Has anyone else has this level of issues? And does the Dinan kit really solve this? I already have the LPFP from Fuel-it installed, and obviously that alone does not solve the issue.
Similar build and problem i had, was you using a upgraded hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #48
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:

The Dinan mod fixed it for me back in 2017 when I first started experiencing it. It simply flows more fuel into the saddle tank so it doesn’t go dry.

Before the mod, I’d have fuel starvation issues below 1/2 tank. Now, I can run the tank dry.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      04-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #49
SuperMarioM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 M Performance Edition - 6mt

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
Similar build and problem i had, was you using a upgraded hpfp?
Yes - I'm also running an XDI-35 HPFP. The entire fuel system is upgraded. I added the Dinan LPFP upgrade kit as well in an attempt to solve the pickup issue. Unfortunately, I still got stutters out of 17 below 1/2 tank. Just have to keep filling up I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #50
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Yes - I'm also running an XDI-35 HPFP. The entire fuel system is upgraded. I added the Dinan LPFP upgrade kit as well in an attempt to solve the pickup issue. Unfortunately, I still got stutters out of 17 below 1/2 tank. Just have to keep filling up I guess.
Interesting. Any idea what G's you're pulling in T17? I've been fine on low gas with the Dinan LPFP mod up to 1.2G.

I'd imagine the bumps aren't helping either. I wonder if an upgraded LPFP would help, or if the design of the M2 gas tank just can't handle high-G + big bumps at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #51
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

Is this a problem for the M2C as well? My car went into limp mode at the track right after a high speed / high g force right hander. I was pretty high up in the rev range too so I'm guessing it wanted lots of fuel. I'm pretty sure I was at or below half a tank.

Anyway, code was for a misfire. The car was able to drive fine right after I pulled into the pits and restarted the engine. Took it to BMW and they blamed 'mid range fuel' which is not at all what I was running lol.
Appreciate 0