BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DSC settings on the M2: what the Manual, Press Kit and Technical Training say

12-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

DSC settings on the M2: what the Manual, Press Kit and Technical Training say

1. Transcript of the "Driving stability control system" (DSC) and "Driving Dynamics Control" sections of the M2 instructions manual (DSC OFF, TRACTION, SPORT+, SPORT, COMFORT, etc.):

EDIT: the original section #1 was replaced by pages 114 to 118 of the M2 owner's manual 2016 (US version) (which was not yet electronically made available at the time of creating this thread).

Name:  BMW_M2_Manual_US_Page_1.jpg
Views: 17414
Size:  245.4 KB

Name:  BMW_M2_Manual_US_Page_2.jpg
Views: 17431
Size:  219.6 KB

Name:  BMW_M2_Manual_US_Page_3.jpg
Views: 17057
Size:  196.4 KB

Name:  BMW_M2_Manual_US_Page_4.jpg
Views: 16896
Size:  209.6 KB

Name:  BMW_M2_Manual_US_Page_5.jpg
Views: 16791
Size:  152.7 KB

2. Excerpts from the M2 Press Kit (that you can find here | M2 manuals sticky: here) about M Servotronic steering (EPS), Active M Differential and MDM:

Two settings for the Electric Power Steering.
The standard-fitted Electric Power Steering of the new BMW M2 also helps to imbue it with the unique BMW M driving feeling. The development of the system prioritised hallmark M attributes, such as direct steering feel, precise feedback on the driving situation and driving at the limit. The integrated Servotronic function with M-specific characteristics controls the level of steering assistance electronically according to the car’s speed. Added to which, the steering of the new BMW M2 also offers two settings – COMFORT and SPORT/SPORT+ – which can be selected by pressing the Driving Experience Control switch. This allows drivers to adjust the steering’s power assistance at any time to the task at hand or to their personal preferences. SPORT mode can be configured via iDrive. The engine and steering settings can be stored in SPORT mode either as a combination or individually.
Unlike conventional hydraulic steering systems, the new BMW M2’s Electric Power Steering does not require any energy when the car is being driven in a straight line or standing still with the engine running. This enables a reduction in fuel consumption of 0.3 l/100 km.

Permanent, fully variable differential control.
The Active M Differential in the new BMW M2 optimises traction and maximises directional stability. This electronically controlled multi-plate limited-slip differential takes traction and directional stability to a new level.
The multi-plate limited-slip differential is proactively controlled with extremely high precision and speed. The locking effect can be varied between 0 and 100 per cent according to the driving situation. Sensors including those of the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system determine the car’s steering angle, accelerator position, brake pressure, engine torque, wheel speed and yaw rate. The control unit uses this analysis of the driving situation to detect the threat of traction loss on one side of the car and calculates the required locking effect, which is engaged by an electric motor. Full locking power of 2,500 Nm (1,843 lb-ft) is available within 150 ms. This allows the system to prevent a wheel from spinning in extreme conditions on slippery road surfaces or when the two rear wheels are experiencing significant differences in friction coefficient.
In certain situations the Active M Differential even works proactively. When pulling away on slippery surfaces, the lock is closed by a defined percentage even before a wheel can start to spin, to ensure that both wheels develop equal slip at the same time. This optimises traction and stability. The lock is also closed by the required percentage through enthusiastically driven corners, according to the levels of lateral acceleration and drive at work. This prevents the low-traction inside wheel from starting to turn too quickly.
This permanent and infinitely variable differential control also increases agility, avoids understeer on the way into corners and improves directional stability under braking and load changes.

Drifts on the race track.
M Dynamic Mode (MDM) also enables the new BMW M2 to satisfy the demands of drivers looking for a little extra on the dynamic front. MDM is a sub-function of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). DSC effectively counteracts incipient oversteer or understeer or a loss of traction by taking steps (reducing engine power, braking individual wheels) to stabilise the car. However, in certain situations – e.g. sporty and dynamic driving on the race track – a greater degree of wheel spin can be an advantage.
Here, M Dynamic Mode, which is activated automatically in the recommended track mode (SPORT+) or can be engaged with a short dab of the DSC button, allows greater slip. The stabilising measures familiar from DSC mode now intervene later, increasing the freedom available to drivers at the dynamic limit.
The extra wheel slip enhances traction and therefore propulsion. More significant oversteer and understeer are possible, as are moderate, controlled drifts, but the Dynamic Stability Control active safety aids can still be relied on in critical situations. In any event, responsibility for stabilising the car always lies with the driver.

3. Excerpt from the M2 Technical Training (tables) (that you can find here | M2 manuals sticky: here):

Forum fellow Tag retooled the table to make it more intelligible:

Last edited by Artemis; 05-17-2017 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Original section #1 was replaced by pages 114 to 118 of the M2 owner's manual 2016 (US version)
Appreciate 12
      12-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Thanks for the info. Based on the information, it is not possible to fully deactivate the DSC...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

You can deactivate it
Just press the dsc button

Is in the manual
      12-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999
You can deactivate it
Just press the dsc button

Is in the manual
Yes press and hold for a few seconds I'd imagine like in all Beemers?
      12-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

TL;DR edition

- COMFORT, SPORT, SPORT+,
- MDM is activated by pressing shortly the DSC OFF button or by selecting SPORT+
- SPORT can be customized to some extent in iDrive
- EPS has two modes - COMFORT (lighter) and SPORT/SPORT+ (heavier)
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

I don't get the specs on brake assistant:

When you apply the brakes rapidly, this system automatically produces the greatest possible braking force boost. It reduces the braking distance to a minimum during emergency stop.
This system utilizes all of the benefits provided by ABS
Do not reduce the pressure on the brake

I thought that brake assistant on the M3 and M4 will brake the car for you,if you get to close to th car in front of you.Shoudn't the system on the M2 be the same?I just want to make sure because I definitely do not want that feature on my M2.

It's an option on the M3 and M4,so hopefully it is also an option on the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
I don't get the specs on brake assistant:

When you apply the brakes rapidly, this system automatically produces the greatest possible braking force boost. It reduces the braking distance to a minimum during emergency stop.
This system utilizes all of the benefits provided by ABS
Do not reduce the pressure on the brake

I thought that brake assistant on the M3 and M4 will brake the car for you,if you get to close to th car in front of you.Shoudn't the system on the M2 be the same?I just want to make sure because I definitely do not want that feature on my M2.

It's an option on the M3 and M4,so hopefully it is also an option on the M2.
Adaptive brake assistant doesn't brake for you. When you press the pedal, it automatically calculates the required pressure to stop in an emergency situation by calculating distance to bumper in front of you.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...assistant.html
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      12-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Adaptive brake assistant doesn't brake for you. When you press the pedal, it automatically calculates the required pressure to stop in an emergency situation by calculating distance to bumper in front of you.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...assistant.html
My mistake,I was remembering the wrong option on the M3.It is a feature in the drivers assistance package,called the collision avoidance system,which will automatically apply the brakes for you,if you get to close to the car in front of you.It is terrible feature and I won't be ordering it on the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep

Translation into 1M language (except if mistaken):
  • 1M: regular mode | all nannies active (sensible)
    M2: COMFORT mode | low steering force for the driver | all nannies active (sensible)
  • 1M: push the M button (instrument cluster: "SPORT" icon) = M mode (aka SPORT mode) | all nannies active (sensible)
    M2: push the Driving Dynamics Control button to setting "SPORT" = SPORT mode | high steering force for the driver | all nannies active (sensible)
  • 1M: briefly push the MDM button (instrument cluster: DSC icon + MDM) | emergency nannies active (drift indulgent)
    M2: either briefly push the "DSC OFF" button or push the Driving Dynamics Control button to setting "SPORT+" (instrument cluster: DSC icon + TRACTION) = SPORT+ mode with DSC ON [TRACTION] | high steering force for the driver | emergency nannies active (drift indulgent)
  • 1M: keep pushing the MDM button for several seconds (instrument cluster: "DSC OFF" icon) = DSC OFF mode | no nannies, except for Active M differential (LSD)
    M2: keep pushing the "DSC OFF" button for several seconds to setting "DSC OFF" (instrument cluster: DSC OFF icon) = SPORT+ mode with DSC OFF + high steering force for the driver | no nannies, except for Active M differential (LSD)
Points to note:
  • Active M differential (LSD) cannot be switched off;
  • steering force preset cannot be toggled in a specific mode: COMFORT mode = low driver input preset | SPORT/SPORT+ mode = high driver input preset;
  • no cruise control possible in SPORT+ mode (regardless TRACTION mode or DSC OFF mode).
Name:  SportControls.jpg
Views: 21204
Size:  28.8 KB
Alexxxx52.00
MASHCT541.50
      12-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

With traction all the way off, all settings will be max sport except throttle response will be normal/comfort (for controlled track driving). While in sport+ the throttle is more sensitive. Sport may allow you to customize throttle. At least that is how M235i works and sport+ throttle is too jumpy IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #11
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
SPORT+ mode with DSC OFF + high steering force for the driver | no nannies, except for Active M differential (LSD)
The M135i/M235i reverts to comfort mode settings in that case (light steering etc.). DSC OFF does not respect the selected driving mode on those cars.
Would be a nice change for the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

If the Sport Mode is configurable, wouldn't one be able to enable sharp throttle along with comfort steering? Or am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 02:25 AM   #13
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
If the Sport Mode is configurable, wouldn't one be able to enable sharp throttle along with comfort steering? Or am I missing something here?
Yeah I'm a bit unsure about this either. It would seem that you can configure the steering on Sport, but I don't see reference to throttle response. Also there is no mention DSC and traction control is configurable here, as with gear change speed and response on a DCT car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 05:31 AM   #14
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
My main question is if the SPORT mode configuration in iDrive allows you to disengage rev matching for the 6MT M2.

Any thoughts on that guys?

MR

Last edited by MR.; 12-20-2015 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
With traction all the way off, all settings will be max sport except throttle response will be normal/comfort (for controlled track driving). While in sport+ the throttle is more sensitive. Sport may allow you to customize throttle. At least that is how M235i works and sport+ throttle is too jumpy IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post
The M135i/M235i reverts to comfort mode settings in that case (light steering etc.). DSC OFF does not respect the selected driving mode on those cars.
Would be a nice change for the M2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Yeah I'm a bit unsure about this either. It would seem that you can configure the steering on Sport, but I don't see reference to throttle response. Also there is no mention DSC and traction control is configurable here, as with gear change speed and response on a DCT car.
Interesting points. No info yet. We'll find out in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
My main question is if the SPORT mode configuration in iDrive allows you to disengage rev matching for the 6MT M2.
Any thoughts on that guys?
It looks like "DSC OFF" is the only way to deactivate rev-matching.

From the M2 press release (Oct 14, 2015):
Manual gearbox with automatic rev-matching.
The all-new BMW M2 comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fiber friction lining enhances shift precision. Dry-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of lubricant. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother and lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Experienced drivers can still take pride in performing the task of perfectly orchestrated down-shifts on their own by deactivating the system in DSC OFF mode.
      12-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #17
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The all-new BMW M2 comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fiber friction lining enhances shift precision. Dry-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of lubricant. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother and lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Experienced drivers can still take pride in performing the task of perfectly orchestrated down-shifts on their own by deactivating the system in DSC OFF mode.
That would be pretty damn crap! Still I hope someone can code it out...

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.
Quote:

That would be pretty damn crap! Still I hope someone can code it out...

MR
Nah. You ancient folk in love with the old gods can drive the car without fancy modern tech like stability control. That's how your papi learned to drive. That's how you learned to drive. And don't nobody need to tell you how to drive any different. Haha
      12-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Nah. You ancient folk in love with the old gods can drive the car without fancy modern tech like stability control. That's how your papi learned to drive. That's how you learned to drive. And don't nobody need to tell you how to drive any different. Haha
LOL, I ordered a M-DCT. Friend of mine is worried. He wants to drive it without rev matching.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Let's first experience the rev-matching before drawing conclusions.

12-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #21
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Let's first experience the rev-matching before drawing conclusions.
? No one is drawing conclusions regarding how well it works. People are saying we want the option of rev matching ourselves, and it stinks that you may have to turn DSC off to do so. Ridiculous.

If you buy a manual, chances are, you like driving a manual. Rev matching/heel-toe, etc. are key pieces of that experience.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

It boggles the mind that you cannot turn it off independently on BMWs and Porsches. The 370Z and Corvette allow this. They can't afford another menu option in iDrive or use a button blank?

Has the aftermarket been able to control this on the F80/F82?
Appreciate 0