BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > CEL driving out of SHOWROOM!

08-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
LBH23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

CEL driving out of SHOWROOM!

Ugh. So, long story short. The M2 has been my personal dream car for years. Finally the stars aligned in terms of timing and allocation and I ordered my HS with a load of Perf carbon port-installed back in May. Tracked it across the globe, worried about it, perseverated over it...and on Thursday it arrived. PDI and timing complete and ready for pickup on Friday.

Since it is my 6th BMW, not much need for time with Genius. So, after setting up phone and programming M1 and M2 buttons, they open the showroom doors. The GM, sales manager and my CA are all with me (all friends) and as I pull out.....the CEL comes on. Hmm, they say totally normal, probably the gas tank. Shut it down, restart. Same thing. I then drive the 60 feet from the exit of showroom to the entrance of the service area. They pull codes and think its a sensor failure.

So it goes back to the service bays. I now get ride home from the dealership. Yes, imagine that you just handed over a massive check. And not less than 10 mins later you are being dropped off at home with no car. Get a call 30 minutes later, the car apparently needs a new oxygen sensor. Oh, they don't have one. Oh, and there is not one anywhere on the West Coast. So, the oxygen sensor needs to be shipped from east coast. They HOPE it will get here Tuesday and it MIGHT be finished by Tuesday night or Wednesday.

Total milage driven before oxygen sensor failure. Zero.

That is the story and it sucks. My last three BMW's owned for a total of 9 years. Zero trips to shop for anything other than routine maintenance. The m2C didn't make it out of the dealership. SA and CA tell me the oxygen sensor is simple little piece and a simple fix - I don't know enough about modern engines to trust them on this....can anyone chime in here? Do i have anything to worry about?

Will update with some pics upon RE-delivery! Any help or explanation of the issue is greatly appreciated and hopefully this is a very minor issue and fix. I can't get too upset about this, stuff happens; but the excitement of a new beast has definitely been tempered to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

That really sucks, not even getting out of the dealership.

15 years ago I took delivery of a new E46 and it started to overheat on the way home (highway). I pulled over and it had it flatbedded back to the dealer. Had under 50 miles on it. Diagnosed with a defective thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Ugh. Sorry OP! That sucks!

Luckily an O sensor is nothing, but I’m amazed they didn’t have one.
Hopefully they’re being 100% honest with you.
      08-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
rjtoudouze
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M2, 335, Toyota MR2

Dang, didn't even provide a loaner car?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Nothing to worry about.

There is a faulty O2 sensors in the M2C from the factory on some cars from new. Mine had it and did the exact same thing. Its a 02 sensor. You can still drive the car while the part comes in as it will drive just fine. Its a 10 minute swap when you get the new 02 sensor.

FYI, If you have the faulty sensor, it will throw the code right from new under 100 miles on the odometer.

OP: Enjoy your new monster as its a amazingly well balanced sports car.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-17-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      08-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

That really sucks man. O2 sensor is not a big deal though, they're usually located on the exhaust manifold and later in the exhaust, so they won't be tearing apart your engine too much. The car will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Things that concern me:

1. They didn't have a common o2 sensor in inventory.
2. o2 sensor is not a big issue, will not affect driveability in the short term.

These two things make me skeptical that it was truly an o2 sensor issue. I hope so though as if it was, its a simple swap.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
Things that concern me:

1. They didn't have a common o2 sensor in inventory.
2. o2 sensor is not a big issue, will not affect driveability in the short term.

These two things make me skeptical that it was truly an o2 sensor issue. I hope so though as if it was, its a simple swap.
My dealer didn’t have it in stock either. It was overnighted.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

The Oxygen Sensor is not a big deal, but I do feel for you OP. They need to remove the intake/ducting as well as the aluminum stiffening plate on the underside to replace the sensor.

1 five-pin plug connection
2 five-pin plug connection
3 Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter
4 Catalytic-converter mounted close to the engine
5 Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      08-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
LBH23
United_States
Rep

Angry New 02 Sensor did not clear code!

Well, the dream arrived last Thursday. It has turned into a nightmare (a least a First World Nightmare). New O2 sensor arrived this morning. CA told me all was good. Left office to pick up care for a second time. Fault reappeared. They have been running diagnostics on the car for two hours now and cannot figure out what is wrong. On a brand spanking new car.

I exhibited great patience and a positive attitude after the first instance. Now I am starting to lose it. No car. No idea what is wrong with car. Car paid in full. To his credit, my CA is great and he is doing all he can....but are you kidding? This is like a bad joke that keeps getting worse and I have literally no idea what is going on. 8 miles on the odometer.

What total sh*t experience on the car I have waited and waited and waited for. Complete and utter disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH23 View Post
Well, the dream arrived last Thursday. It has turned into a nightmare (a least a First World Nightmare). New O2 sensor arrived this morning. CA told me all was good. Left office to pick up care for a second time. Fault reappeared. They have been running diagnostics on the car for two hours now and cannot figure out what is wrong. On a brand spanking new car.

I exhibited great patience and a positive attitude after the first instance. Now I am starting to lose it. No car. No idea what is wrong with car. Car paid in full. To his credit, my CA is great and he is doing all he can....but are you kidding? This is like a bad joke that keeps getting worse and I have literally no idea what is going on. 8 miles on the odometer.

What total sh*t experience on the car I have waited and waited and waited for. Complete and utter disappointment.
Hang in there and in the meantime check your states lemon laws. Usually if the dealer cannot fix a new car after n attempts or n days you can lemon it. The pressure is more on them to get it sorted than on you at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

O2 sensors are pretty robust. I never had to replace an O2 sensor on a car below 100k miles on any of my cars to date.

OP. Hope you get it sorted. Could be fuel pump or injector. I think a member from AU got his pump replaced on here.

Please report back of what the real issue is. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Yikes!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #14
andykitty
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I had similar experience. The CEL came on just 3 days after I picked up my M2C, with only 300km. Had to bring it back to BMW, after leaving it for a night there, they said there were couple misfires with cylinder 1&6. But they checked everything, couldn't find anything wrong with the car. So I got the car back the next day before they close for the day.

Guess what, the light came on again, right after I exit the parking lot. Since their service dept are closed, they couldn't take another look at it right away. Had to book another appointment for it, and the earliest was 4 days later. I drove the car for the 4 days, and on the morning of the appointment, right before I head for the dealership, the light magically disappeared. It's been a week now, and it didn't came on again.

Wish yours would just go away in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #15
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
if my car CELd twice before I even left the showroom, I'd be demanding a different car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #16
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
geez man i feel for you, sorry to hear. the only issue I've had so far is a rock randomly getting stuck between my wheel and rotor while on a cruise . there's always a failure rate with anything manufactured, you just hope your not one of the X%. good luck, please let us know if the issue is found and resolved!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
LBH23
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down And an update....

Still no delivery. They ran diagnostics for hours yesterday and apparently there is a disconnection....somewhere. So I was told they essentially needed to go through the entire wiring system to find a simple disconnection. I don't even know if this is possible or believable.

Nonetheless, I have lost my patience and confidence in the car. We agreed that if the car is not delivered tomorrow with a clean bill of health, by 4pm, they will give me a refund and we will kill the deal.

Dealer contacted me later last night and said they ran four clean cycles with no CEL. This is beyond infuriating and confusing. I am wondering whether I should take the car; but this was my custom order and I absolutely love how it came out. Anyone with thoughts?

Seems there are no issues with the engine or drivetrain or anything which would affect performance - just a simple "disconnection" somewhere. Anyone with experience? Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Still no delivery. They ran diagnostics for hours yesterday and apparently there is a disconnection....somewhere. So I was told they essentially needed to go through the entire wiring system to find a simple disconnection. I don't even know if this is possible or believable.

Nonetheless, I have lost my patience and confidence in the car. We agreed that if the car is not delivered tomorrow with a clean bill of health, by 4pm, they will give me a refund and we will kill the deal.

Dealer contacted me later last night and said they ran four clean cycles with no CEL. This is beyond infuriating and confusing. I am wondering whether I should take the car; but this was my custom order and I absolutely love how it came out. Anyone with thoughts?

Seems there are no issues with the engine or drivetrain or anything which would affect performance - just a simple "disconnection" somewhere. Anyone with experience? Thanks guys.
Not ideal but this stuff happens all the time. The more sophisticated these cars get, the more we will see them.
Manufacturing issue usually show up right away so a disconnected wiring harness is not a big deal in the grand scheme of a high performance vehicles. Keep it in perspective. I had a PCA friend lose his transmission from his brand new $160k 911 Turbo 4 blocks from the dealership. They replaced the transmission and life went on.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-21-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #19
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Might as well be a Quadrifoglio for all the electrical gremlins yours is showing.. And a modern parts/service dept not carrying common O2 sensors is beyond belief.
      08-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #20
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
What About This?

Quote:

If I were you I would be extremely frustrated. But I have an idea that may take the sting out if it for you.

If you really like the car and you get along good with the people at your dealership, ask about European Delivery. I would explain to them that you've been calm, cool, and collected about it. Not only that, you paid in cash. See if they would work that out and maybe even cover some of the cost of your trip. Can't hurt to ask. The worst they will say is no.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #21
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Back out now. If you can’t even drive out of the showroom, they replace the problem part, and the problem still persists then run for the hills. If they can’t figure it out now no way they figure it out later.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #22
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Back out now. If you can’t even drive out of the showroom, they replace the problem part, and the problem still persists then run for the hills. If they can’t figure it out now no way they figure it out later.
100% this
Appreciate 0