BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M performance exhaust swap

08-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
mcupac91
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

M performance exhaust swap

I currently have the BMW M Performance exhaust system on my M2, which don't get me wrong, I think is brilliant and love the noise of. However recently I have been looking at videos of the IPE full system, and feel my head may turning towards one of these. Can anyone who has heard both in the flesh give some opinions between the 2? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Are you sure the IPE videos you're listening to are only of exhaust swap and not of a downpipe swap too? The videos I see have their IPE Race Downpipe installed too. Might get what you're looking for by adding a downpipe to your existing MPE.

I have the Fabspeed sport cat with my MPE and it sounds similar to the IPE videos. Despite my horrible experience with their customer service (I was shipped a damaged item and it was a major hassle to get a replacement. Took like a month and a lot of arguing, IIRC) the downpipe has been amazing since getting a good one.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcupac91 View Post
I currently have the BMW M Performance exhaust system on my M2, which don't get me wrong, I think is brilliant and love the noise of. However recently I have been looking at videos of the IPE full system, and feel my head may turning towards one of these. Can anyone who has heard both in the flesh give some opinions between the 2? Cheers
Vivid Racing has 2 of the IPE on sale right now on their website just FYI
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:40 AM   #4
Connors5453
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.38]
Quote:
If you want to sell your exhaust and not trade I'm willing to buy!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
mcupac91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connors5453 View Post
If you want to sell your exhaust and not trade I'm willing to buy!
Yes I am open to offers, it was fitted in February brand new from factory. Are you based in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
mcupac91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
Vivid Racing has 2 of the IPE on sale right now on their website just FYI
will check it out, thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
mcupac91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Are you sure the IPE videos you're listening to are only of exhaust swap and not of a downpipe swap too? The videos I see have their IPE Race Downpipe installed too. Might get what you're looking for by adding a downpipe to your existing MPE.

I have the Fabspeed sport cat with my MPE and it sounds similar to the IPE videos. Despite my horrible experience with their customer service (I was shipped a damaged item and it was a major hassle to get a replacement. Took like a month and a lot of arguing, IIRC) the downpipe has been amazing since getting a good one.
Yes I have been looking at the Fabspeed sports cat, most interested in the performance gain from them as well. Is it noticeable? Also how does the sound go with the MPE? The price tag here in the UK for them is about £1400 so any feedback I can get from an owner of one before committing would be most appreciated. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have been looking at the Fabspeed sports cat, most interested in the performance gain from them as well. Is it noticeable? Also how does the sound go with the MPE? The price tag here in the UK for them is about £1400 so any feedback I can get from an owner of one before committing would be most appreciated. Cheers
I'm happy with it. It's quite loud with MPE valves open. To the point of upsetting me if I have a headache or stomach ache. But it's very quiet with valves closed. I'm not sure I feel much of a performance gain, but I don't drive my car too hard too often to tell. I know that it spins the tires in 3rd gear now, which I don't think it did before. My car also has the bootmod3 Stg2 93Oct tune.

The problem I have with Fabspeed is that their customer service sucks. I received a damaged unit from Extreme Powerhouse and had to go through a giant run-around to get a replacement. Extreme Powerhouse said they needed approval from Fabspeed before they could start processing the exchange. That took like a week to get. Then another week for me to receive the replacement. Throughout the whole thing there was a ton of arguing and them mishandling the situation. I have a thread about it here you can check out.

Fabspeed also doesn't keep their own stock of downpipes. Luckily Extreme Powerhouse had one left in stock to complete the exchange. But if he didn't, Fabspeed would have to make more downpipes. Which is a 3-4 week lead on. I believe Fabspeed should be keeping a couple downpipes in their own stock for warranty and exchange purposes. Otherwise people's cars can be down for months waiting for all the stuff they want done to happen.

There are also people who have had check engine lights with their downpipes, and Fabspeed wants long, detailed, and expensive tests and diagnosis done by their customers before they will approve a replacement downpipe. All at the cost of the customer, as well as shipping costs on the customer.

Imagine getting a check engine light from the downpipe, having to spend $100-300 on tests to provide them, all the time it takes to diagnose and communicate with each other and your mechanic, pay the cost of shipping both ways, AND THEN after finally getting approval for a replacement having to wait 3-4 weeks for it because they have none in stock to ship you. That's the worst case scenario that I think about often and am not particularly sure it's worth the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #9
mcupac91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I'm happy with it. It's quite loud with MPE valves open. To the point of upsetting me if I have a headache or stomach ache. But it's very quiet with valves closed. I'm not sure I feel much of a performance gain, but I don't drive my car too hard too often to tell. I know that it spins the tires in 3rd gear now, which I don't think it did before. My car also has the bootmod3 Stg2 93Oct tune.

The problem I have with Fabspeed is that their customer service sucks. I received a damaged unit from Extreme Powerhouse and had to go through a giant run-around to get a replacement. Extreme Powerhouse said they needed approval from Fabspeed before they could start processing the exchange. That took like a week to get. Then another week for me to receive the replacement. Throughout the whole thing there was a ton of arguing and them mishandling the situation. I have a thread about it here you can check out.

Fabspeed also doesn't keep their own stock of downpipes. Luckily Extreme Powerhouse had one left in stock to complete the exchange. But if he didn't, Fabspeed would have to make more downpipes. Which is a 3-4 week lead on. I believe Fabspeed should be keeping a couple downpipes in their own stock for warranty and exchange purposes. Otherwise people's cars can be down for months waiting for all the stuff they want done to happen.

There are also people who have had check engine lights with their downpipes, and Fabspeed wants long, detailed, and expensive tests and diagnosis done by their customers before they will approve a replacement downpipe. All at the cost of the customer, as well as shipping costs on the customer.

Imagine getting a check engine light from the downpipe, having to spend $100-300 on tests to provide them, all the time it takes to diagnose and communicate with each other and your mechanic, pay the cost of shipping both ways, AND THEN after finally getting approval for a replacement having to wait 3-4 weeks for it because they have none in stock to ship you. That's the worst case scenario that I think about often and am not particularly sure it's worth the trouble.
really appreciate the feedback on this, has sort of made my mind up as sounds like it could be a load of hassle, for not much of an impact to sounds and performance gain. I might have a look at some of the other options available on the market, I've been looking at the Akrapovic but again quite pricey. If you don't mind briefly explaining, what is the 'bootmod3 Stg2 93Oct tune' please? Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
really appreciate the feedback on this, has sort of made my mind up as sounds like it could be a load of hassle, for not much of an impact to sounds and performance gain. I might have a look at some of the other options available on the market, I've been looking at the Akrapovic but again quite pricey. If you don't mind briefly explaining, what is the 'bootmod3 Stg2 93Oct tune' please? Thx
Not really sure how to explain lol... it's the tune I'm running on my car. I mentioned it because you asked about performance increase.
Appreciate 0