BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Best manual transmission shifting experience

08-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Best manual transmission shifting experience

I just wanted to share, for anyone looking to get rid of the artificial rubbery shifter feel, as well as the super light and long travel of the clutch pedal.

I installed the ultimate clutch pedal and an AutoSolutions 25% throw reduction short shift kit (Ultra Kit Spherical Bearing series / Urethane Bronze Front Bushing Upgrade) as well as deleting the clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder.

Holy crap guys, this is the best shifting car I have ever driven. My explanation won't do it justice, but it's got positive engagement without being hard to shift, the clutch pedal is more firm, but not hard, and pedal travel is literally cut in half.

I went racing on Saturday at ///M-pact and I was very impressed with this setup. Thanks to Coyne Performance for doing the installs and other work.

I really hope this will help someone on here go ahead and try this setup. It's amazing how much it transformed the car.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
OG Shark4656.00
      08-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Nice!! What made you go with Coyne? I'm in south Jersey too and always am looking for reliable shops to use. Also, I see a LBB M2 around town sometimes with a big number on the sides like for a track day is that you??
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Coyne Performance is awesome. He rebuilt my e46 M3, which I daily drive (120 miles per day round trip for work) and I have had zero issues. He is not only an indy mechanic, but he's most importantly an enthusiast. He treats every car like he would treat his own car.

Honestly, he built my entire M2 for me. It's got pure stage 2 turbo, ER pipes & intercooler, fabspeed sportcat downpipe, PR coil packs, M performance exhuast, and the latest thing he did: a custom water / meth injection system made from the best parts of all available kits on the market. It's really awesome and gets my IAT's down to within 10 degrees of ambient temp (and I beat the living crap out of the car racing).

I never drove my M2 around with numbers on it (besides Saturday on my way home from poconos / M-pact event). I'm in Mullica Hill.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      08-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

How did you go about removing the clutch delay valve?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I just wanted to share, for anyone looking to get rid of the artificial rubbery shifter feel, as well as the super light and long travel of the clutch pedal.

I installed the ultimate clutch pedal and an AutoSolutions 25% throw reduction short shift kit (Ultra Kit Spherical Bearing series / Urethane Bronze Front Bushing Upgrade) as well as deleting the clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder.

Holy crap guys, this is the best shifting car I have ever driven. My explanation won't do it justice, but it's got positive engagement without being hard to shift, the clutch pedal is more firm, but not hard, and pedal travel is literally cut in half.

I went racing on Saturday at ///M-pact and I was very impressed with this setup. Thanks to Coyne Performance for doing the installs and other work.

I really hope this will help someone on here go ahead and try this setup. It's amazing how much it transformed the car.
That's awesome. Removing the clutch delay valve in of itself is life changing... Did that and added the CAE shifter and the joy of driving this car increased exponentially. By far my favorite mod combo on this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Coyne Performance is awesome. He rebuilt my e46 M3, which I daily drive (120 miles per day round trip for work) and I have had zero issues. He is not only an indy mechanic, but he's most importantly an enthusiast. He treats every car like he would treat his own car.

Honestly, he built my entire M2 for me. It's got pure stage 2 turbo, ER pipes & intercooler, fabspeed sportcat downpipe, PR coil packs, M performance exhuast, and the latest thing he did: a custom water / meth injection system made from the best parts of all available kits on the market. It's really awesome and gets my IAT's down to within 10 degrees of ambient temp (and I beat the living crap out of the car racing).

I never drove my M2 around with numbers on it (besides Saturday on my way home from poconos / M-pact event). I'm in Mullica Hill.
Awesome! Wish I could have gone to M-pact. I'm in Williamstown so not too far from you, but that's great to know about Coyne! I honestly haven't heard of them until this thread but it sounds like a great shop with an owner that takes pride in his work and is an enthusiast.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
How did you go about removing the clutch delay valve?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=31
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
That's awesome. Removing the clutch delay valve in of itself is life changing... Did that and added the CAE shifter and the joy of driving this car increased exponentially. By far my favorite mod combo on this car.
It really does make an enormous difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Awesome! Wish I could have gone to M-pact. I'm in Williamstown so not too far from you, but that's great to know about Coyne! I honestly haven't heard of them until this thread but it sounds like a great shop with an owner that takes pride in his work and is an enthusiast.
Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. You can check out his work first hand. Matt really is an asset to eh BMW community.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      08-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
dk23
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 6MT

Any side effects to removing the clutch delay valve? Does it decrease clutch life/add more wear to the transmission? Something about the clutch in this car I really don't like and CDV is probably a big factor, I just don't want to risk something going wrong.

Also, I'm originally from NJ (central jersey, it exists lol), might have to check out Coyne next time I'm back up
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      08-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk23 View Post
Any side effects to removing the clutch delay valve? Does it decrease clutch life/add more wear to the transmission? Something about the clutch in this car I really don't like and CDV is probably a big factor, I just don't want to risk something going wrong.

Also, I'm originally from NJ (central jersey, it exists lol), might have to check out Coyne next time I'm back up
The only side effect is the clutch pedal feeling better and the clutch doing what your foot tell it to do. It will produce a jerky type reaction if you let it out abruptly, which I don't remember it doing before. I found that out this morning when my foot slipped off the clutch in 1st gear (slippery work shoes).
Appreciate 0