08-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #23
Edo135
Rep
Drives: 2021 m135i xdrive f40

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdoM2 View Post
I'm glad too ! No I did my 1200 miles service but they didn't update any software on the car, because I think that being the my2020 it already had the latest softwares from the factory.
Mind posting a few pictures of your tail lights in this thread?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post25111178

Curious how the new blacklines look on the MY20 models and I have yet to see a good quality photo.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm glad too ! No I did my 1200 miles service but they didn't update any software on the car, because I think that being the my2020 it already had the latest softwares from the factory.

Curious how the new blacklines look on the MY20 models and I have yet to see a good quality photo.
I have these two. The Hs is a my19 which I test drove before buying my bsm which is a my2020. Hope they helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      08-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think it's worth it to 'upgrade' and I'm a 100% satisfied with the non-darken version but different strokes...

Here's the part numbers for the MY2020 darken version, Incase you're interested.

ECE Version;

63 21 9 491 591 Left
63 21 9 491 592 Right

US Version;

63 21 9 491 593 Left
63 21 9 491 594 Right
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      08-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #25
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Guys let's stick to the original topic.

Btw I am not a fan of the updated rear lights. Hardly noticeable though.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:50 AM   #26
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

Btw I am not a fan of the updated rear lights. Hardly noticeable though.
There is little can be done to add any more of a tactile feedback to a Electric Power Steering.

Threads like this pop up every other month, in different variation of complaints regarding this "issue" but they're all the same.

I don't believe anything is wrong with your steering, as the slack built into ESP is the nature of the beast and is more of a feature than a flaw, IMO.

At least its very responsive, eliminates bump-steer and road imperfections, amongst other things.

Can anything be done about the steering on the M240i? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1624490
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #27
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I coded in the M4 GTS EPS on my car and it really tightened the steering up. Worth a try:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...43&postcount=8
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
I also feel some vibrations on normal smooth road. I think my wheels are out of balance or misaligned. There's also a slight pull to the left.

I did notice that one of the other wheel has a missing weight. Not sure how this might have happened.
Wow, do you know what wheel weights are for?

They are to balance out the unique imbalance of each tyre. Therefore no two wheels / tyres will be the same.

The position of and number / weight of weights to be fitted are individual. It would be highly UNLIKELY to have the same weights in the same place on two wheels.
Appreciate 3
chris7197331.50
Moflow2484.50
VIERsr2620.50
      08-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #29
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
I also feel some vibrations on normal smooth road. I think my wheels are out of balance or misaligned. There's also a slight pull to the left.

I did notice that one of the other wheel has a missing weight. Not sure how this might have happened.
Wow, do you know what wheel weights are for?

They are to balance out the unique imbalance of each tyre. Therefore no two wheels / tyres will be the same.

The position of and number / weight of weights to be fitted are individual. It would be highly UNLIKELY to have the same weights in the same place on two wheels.
Yes I already know this!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:24 AM   #30
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

OP I have the same play in the center as you, either in comfort, sport or sport plus setting. Also, you're weights are correct, I have 2 on the left wheel and 1 on the right one. Is yours a my2020 like mine? If so could it be the latest steering software calibration that's causing that? I'm telling you this because I read somewhere on the forum that with this last software update the steering feedback got worse.
Anyway i think I'll take her to my dealer for a check.
This looks like the thread you mentioned:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1595777

I need to bring this up with my service.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #31
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

OP I have the same play in the center as you, either in comfort, sport or sport plus setting. Also, you're weights are correct, I have 2 on the left wheel and 1 on the right one. Is yours a my2020 like mine? If so could it be the latest steering software calibration that's causing that? I'm telling you this because I read somewhere on the forum that with this last software update the steering feedback got worse.

The OP of that thread specifically said that the EPS module wasn't updated and the 'change' was just a placebo effect.

But if that helps you sleep better at night, go for it
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #32
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

You guys do realize that wheel weights are not something that can be compared from car to car or from wheel to wheel.
Appreciate 1
M2Cnme33.00
      08-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #33
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The OP of that thread specifically said that the EPS module wasn't updated and the 'change' was just a placebo effect.

Ok but steering still got impacted though, correct?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #34
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:

You guys do realize that wheel weights are not something that can be compared from car to car or from wheel to wheel.
Yes, I am aware of this as well. I just got my 335i balanced a couple of weeks back and it made a world of a difference. The wobbly ride has translated into smooth drive now.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #35
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

No, the software wasn't changed, notice in the ISTA snapshot it says "encoding" instead of "programming" there is a huge difference between the two; that means the software wasn't change, the adaptions were just reset.

You can try the dealer and see if they update your ECU but just keep in mind it won't change much, since there isn't an update for the EPS available.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #36
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

No, the software wasn't changed, notice in the ISTA snapshot it says "encoding" instead of "programming" there is a huge difference between the two; that means the software wasn't change, the adaptions were just reset.

You can try the dealer and see if they update your ECU but just keep in mind it won't change much, since there isn't an update for the EPS available.
Thanks! I have scheduled with my service next week on Tuesday. I will update once I get more insight.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #37
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Service found no issue in the steering play. Everything checked out fine, including suspension components.

My alignment might be off or just bad tires, or maybe it's a character of the car?

They compared another new M2C and it had the slight play as well.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:14 AM   #38
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
It's a characteristic of the car then, you have to get used to.
You should improve a little with alignment.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #39
Muncher
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C, Mustang GT, BMW X1 F48

To the OP,
I suspect its hard to know whether what you have is typical or not. I have an F48 and M2C. Compared to say a Golf7 or FM Mustang GT my previous cars with EPS, BMW isn't there yet wrt on-centre feel and moving just either side of centre. In high effort modes you can sometimes get a slightly artificial amount of assistance for a fraction of a second. The F48 is not a great car to steer in a straight line for eg. despite numerous wheel alignments to improve straight line tracking - it feels like its got free play - but has zero. Its the EPS.

Re M2C. I know what I will state here is basic, but maybe helpful. If the car is turned off, steering unlocked and you wiggle wheel from outside of car and note front wheels moving, no play, then its not a rack/steering arm mechanical issue, its the EPS system. I sometimes find it best to drive the car in comfort mode on the freeway. It seems to me to have better on centre accuracy (not feel)- I haven't gotten t the bottom of it yet. If I am in the curves, I switch to Sport steering.

I had an E90 330i (hydraulic steering I know) one that developed a lot of steering play. Turned out to be the rubber universal joint in the steering shaft under the dash - totally flogged out. The car had done only 60,000 klms. Cause - several thousand klms on a slightly out of round wheel.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:54 PM   #40
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

I ended up getting an alignment and the play seems to have improved. Steering is much better but I am yet to test the alignment on the freeway.

The interesting thing is that I never hit a pot hole but somehow the alignment got messed up.

Are M car cars that susceptible to alignment changes? I did drive on some bad roads but none of those should mess up the alignment. I drove my 335i on the same roads many times without any issues.

Here's a before vs. after spec.
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0