BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BM3 OBD Agent Installation

08-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

BM3 OBD Agent Installation

I couldn't decide if this thread should be in the Engine / Tuning section, or the Electronics section but I think here is best, since only someone with BM3 would be interested...

Anyway... Ever since I first bought my BM3 license I have felt the logging and dashboard functionality to be invaluable. It helped me to discover than all the fuel around me sucks, and that my HPFP cannot handle more than E20 with my poor fuel. It also gives me an easy way to view boost, IAT, AFR and a host of other things on the dashboard part of the app.

So from day one I set up an OBD agent device, and had it permanently installed in my car. Initially I placed the agent device under the driver's seat, and ran an E-Net cable under the trim on top of the rocker panel over to it. For power, I used the USB outlet in the cup-holder. This setup worked fine, but I hated having a wire running down the side of the seat (I know, OCD!), and occasionally the OBD agent when get knocked off its location when the seat was moved... there had to be a better way.

During my WMI install I discovered a number of un-used fuses in the front under hood fuse box, and decided to run one of these over to Pin 1 of the OBD port, which on older BMWs was Ignition Power, but is no longer connected on our cars.

For the wiring, I used the same crimp with cable attached that I used for the WMI install, BMW part 61130007438, inserted into the bottom Fuse number 46, which is only active with the ignition on:

For the OBD end, I used a crimp with BMW part number 61138364519, and as I said, inserted this into Pin 1:

The OBD Agent needs 5v power, rather than 12v, so I placed a small 12v to 5v DC-DC converter board that I bought from eBay inside the E-Net housing, and used two of the un-used wires of the Ethernet cable to carry the power. At the other end, I soldered on a Micro-USB connector, with the end result looking like this:

I placed the OBD Agent inside the dashboard on top of the footwell airbag on the driver's side, attached with Velcro, and plugged it in:

Actually, to keep things neater by my feet, I used a very low profile OBD extension and tucked everything up under the dash. The low profile extension I think I got from Amazon:

Finally, I purchased a short right angle USB-C cable to charge my phone (running the hot-spot to connect to the OBD agent drains the battery fast), and the Belkin cup-holder phone mount.

Unfortunately I cannot take a photo of the BM3 dashboard running because I don't have another phone handy, but trust me... the location is great, and doesn't move:

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings

Last edited by Nezil; 08-09-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4681.50
akkando5861.50
      08-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Oh, I should mention... Making up an OBD agent isn't that difficult, if you know how to build up a Raspberry Pi, but if not, you can buy these either on eBay, or PM me.

I'd also consider building E-Net cables pre-wired for 12v ignition to 5v micro-USB, but it would still require you to wire up your OBD port.

I guess I could also sell a pre-made wire that goes from fuse box to OBD port with crimps already installed as well.

PM me if you're interested in any of those things. I'm not intending to make money here, just cover my costs etc.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4681.50
      08-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States