BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Aquamist post install logs

08-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Aquamist post install logs

So here it is... the first logs I've been able to capture since installing the Aquamist WMI.

All logs were captured on the same evening (tonight), with ~20 degree Celsius ambient. Logs were all captured with DSC off, in 3rd gear (6MT) from ~30mph to redline.

The map I'm running for these logs is the BM3 OTS Stage 2 91 AKI (non ACN) v5.7 map, which I'd never been able to run without serious timing pull before adding WMI.

Fuel is regular northern CA 91 AKI crappy pump gas (it's all the same, there is no 'good gas' or 'bad gas' here), and a 50:50 Water:Methanol (by weight rather than volume) mix in the WMI tank.The car does feel good, pulling hard to redline, but admittedly there is still a power drop off at the top end.

I'd really appreciate feedback on these logs. Ideally I'd like to move up to trying out the Stage 2 93 AKI v5.7 map with this setup, but would like some feedback on these first before I make that jump.

In case anyone is interested, it took about two tanks of gas before the low fluid level warning came on, which is about 4 litres used. At full flow, I should be getting about a litre / minute of flow, but it's a progressive system and only starts injecting at ~47% injector duty cycle, which isn't often around town. I probably used quite a bit doing these pulls, and of course you would on a track day if you were to use it there too.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 3
ZM22810.50
OG Shark4692.50
      08-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Nice work. Logs look good to my eye, with a nice drop in IATs under throttle. I don’t see why you couldn’t run Stage 2.

An additional experiment you could try would be the E30 map with E25-30 fuel. My rough math says your WMI is providing just enough additional fueling to make up for the higher flow needed for E30. Watching the HPFP with E28 fuel on the E30 map would tell you. If it works, it should get you even more power.

I think you’ve found a great solution to what is probably the worst gas in the world! Altho, this is showing me it’s probably not the best solution for me at the track where I’m doing back to back 3rd, 4th, 5th gear pulls for 30min, as it sounds like I’d drain the reservoir halfway thru the session.

Either way, I’d have to transport about 5-7-gal of E85 or water/meth mix for a track day. What’s your cost per gallon for the water/meth mix you’re making at home?

Thanks for all the hard work!

Last edited by ZM2; 08-06-2019 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
What’s your cost per gallon for the water/meth mix you’re making at home?
It nets out to $3.70 each time I fill the reservoir.

I found a fairly local supplier of Methanol for $30 / 5 gallon pail. I might be able to find it even cheaper, but haven't really tried. $30 seemed reasonable to me.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      08-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Nezil - thanks for posting this. Am I looking at it correctly that you are getting around a 20* drop when the wmi kicks in? I'm sorry if I've missed it - but do you track this car? If so do you know what kind of IATs you were seeing before the wmi?

Is your goal here cooling, or power, or both? Any plan to up the water percentage to see if will bring the IATs down even more? Power drop off at the end - is it like kind of hitting a wall at about 6k?

ZM2 Not thinking the wmi is going to be of benefit now? Been seeing progress with E85?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Nezil - thanks for posting this. Am I looking at it correctly that you are getting around a 20* drop when the wmi kicks in? I'm sorry if I've missed it - but do you track this car? If so do you know what kind of IATs you were seeing before the wmi?

Is your goal here cooling, or power, or both? Any plan to up the water percentage to see if will bring the IATs down even more? Power drop off at the end - is it like kind of hitting a wall at about 6k?

ZM2 Not thinking the wmi is going to be of benefit now? Been seeing progress with E85?
There’s definitely benefit to WMI, I’d just be going thru a ton of it on track. I’d likely need >10-gal of mix for an open track day.

E30 at the track yields similar power output as WMI, and it combusts cooler than gas and power levels remain high even as IATs go to 150F. But, I’ll likely need to do the B58 fuel pump upgrade if I want to run E30 in cooler temps.

It seems both paths get you to similar performance, and they each have pros/cons when it comes to initial setup and ongoing maintenance. WMI likely makes more sense for the ACN gas guys, as they need all the octane help they can get, and the E mix quickly gets too high for the M2’s HPFP when adding enough E85 to make up for ACN gas.

I’m mostly curious about how WMI + E30 performs. From my E30 logs, the WMI would only get me another 5-hp by reducing IATs further, and I could prob squeeze another 10-15hp with a WMI + E30 tune but then I need the tune failsafes in place, and that’s more complexity than I personally want to deal with.

On the flip side, running WMI & E30 on just the E30 tune may provide enough additional fueling to not need to upgrade the HPFP when running E30 in cooler weather. And, it may have other cooling benefits to help keep the engine cooler a little longer at the track. Unfortunately, there’s no way to confirm any of this without actually doing it.

Last edited by ZM2; 08-06-2019 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
Kudos to Nevil on his Aquamist development work for our application. Impressive.

I’m still satisfied with the on track benefits of my basic AEM WMI system on my OG M2 so far this summer. Looks like my car will typically consume about 1 gallon WM (around 3 bucks) for a 30 minute session. I initially felt that was excessive, but I’m ok with it now given the results...and the piece-of-mind it delivers. When reviewing logs anymore, I generally just take a quick look for knock, and timing. I’m still running BM3s OTS Stg 2 93.....in 90 + degree ambients. Hauling WM pre-mix to track is a pain, but one I’m more than willing to endure at this point.
Here’s a sample 3-4 gear pull from this am (in Mexico..not on track)...very clean indeed.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d49a78ec090c66f5cf2a6fb
~ 24* drop under boost when it kicked in? Do you know where the IATs where at before that run? Curious how long it took them to get to 130+. Or if that's where they were at just from cruising before the punch?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Quote:
~ 24* drop under boost when it kicked in? Do you know where the IATs where at before that run? Curious how long it took them to get to 130+. Or if that's where they were at just from cruising before the punch?
starting IATs on log are pretty much where they started after some normal “spirited” driving.

Last edited by M2C AW; 08-06-2019 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #8
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
starting IATs on log are pretty much where they started after some normal “spirited” driving.
Rolling around with 130+ IATs - gotta love that Houston weather!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
I haven't track the car... yet.

I think if I were to track at this point, I'd probably either run race gas, or if using pump gas run the 91 AKI OTS map (for headroom), and keep the WMI on.
Quote:
Is your goal here cooling, or power, or both? Any plan to up the water percentage to see if will bring the IATs down even more?
Actually the goal here was mostly octane, with cooling a nice side effect. The main benefit of cooling is reduced chance of pre-ignition, which is the same effect as octane anyway, so it's all the same.

I've not done any tuning for the WMI at this point, so I'm literally just using it to allow me to run a map intended for a higher octane fuel than I have access to.
Quote:
Power drop off at the end - is it like kind of hitting a wall at about 6k?
No, not at all, it's just that the N55 can run out of steam beyond 6,500 with most OTS maps. BM3 is better than others, but still does it. I think larger turbos help with this, but it's mostly addressed with tuning.

If you go for peak torque, it happens earlier in the rev range, creating this feeling. To some extent, de-tuning torque at lower rpm creates a more linear feeling engine, which can be desirable.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
On the flip side, running WMI & E30 on just the E30 tune may provide enough additional fueling to not need to upgrade the HPFP when running E30 in cooler weather. And, it may have other cooling benefits to help keep the engine cooler a little longer at the track. Unfortunately, there’s no way to confirm any of this without actually doing it.
This would certainly be the way I looked at it. Rather than running the N55 as hard as you can get, you know the E30 map works great for your needs, but it's at the limit of the HPFP, WMI could only help to give you some headroom by lowering IATs and provide some fuelling.

One thing that really concerns me, and prevents me from experimenting more with the E30 map and blends is that one of the safety features of the DME is to enrich the combustion to reduce temperatures. This reduces power but prevents you from detonating the motor. If you're at the limit of the HPFP, is that even going to be possible?

There was a thread a few months back where a guy flashed a BM3 OTS map to his N55 M2 before tracking it that really was too aggressive for the fuel he had access to... He ended up cracking a piston! There really is no way to be sure of the true cause, but the IATs rose real high, and there was a theory that the DME tried to dump fuel to cool combustion and crashed.

That thread is pretty much the only M2 N55 serious issue that I've read about on this forum. I'm sure there have been others, but it's rare to be sure.

Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      08-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
This would certainly be the way I looked at it. Rather than running the N55 as hard as you can get, you know the E30 map works great for your needs, but it's at the limit of the HPFP, WMI could only help to give you some headroom by lowering IATs and provide some fuelling.

One thing that really concerns me, and prevents me from experimenting more with the E30 map and blends is that one of the safety features of the DME is to enrich the combustion to reduce temperatures. This reduces power but prevents you from detonating the motor. If you're at the limit of the HPFP, is that even going to be possible?

There was a thread a few months back where a guy flashed a BM3 OTS map to his N55 M2 before tracking it that really was too aggressive for the fuel he had access to... He ended up cracking a piston! There really is no way to be sure of the true cause, but the IATs rose real high, and there was a theory that the DME tried to dump fuel to cool combustion and crashed.

That thread is pretty much the only M2 N55 serious issue that I've read about on this forum. I'm sure there have been others, but it's rare to be sure.
True, altho, from my logs it looks like ethanol is less likely to get a fatal super knock bc it’s pretty tolerant of high IATs.

If you get around to trying an E25-30 tank with your WMI to see if the water/meth gives you the extra fueling to keep the HPFP happy, we’d love to see the results!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #12
Nezil
Major
Rep

No new logs yet I'm afraid, but I did want to post that I've now flashed the Stage 2 93 OTS map, and all certainly feels good. I have the OBD Agent alerting me to knock events, and I've not seen any yet on my commute.

I'm not sure if it's the WMI doing this (I doubt it), but the 93 OTS Stage 2 map feels really strong, like the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 91 OTS maps again. Even part throttle in 2nd gear Sport+ (MDM traction control) around any sort of bend will always result in the tail stepping out now, which hasn't been the case in the past.

I do need to capture logs, but I'm happy with the butt dyno results!

Appreciate 2
ZM22810.50
BruceM984.50