BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Clutch shudder bad when hot

07-15-2019, 05:04 AM   #1
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Clutch shudder bad when hot

My LCI had very very occasional & very slight clutch shudder almost from new but it has progressively gotten worse. When cold it's not really an issue but now once everything is up to operating temp moving off from stationary I have to keep revs above 1K at minimum or it shudders terribly. Driving in heavy traffic is a nightmare. Any ideas before I go to dealer for warranty claim?

Have done 36K km and still have original tyres (5mm tread left on rear PS4s-I had these installed to replace the Conti's on delivery), no burnouts and I've been driving manuals for 40yrs, only ever had to replace one clutch & that was at 180K km! (of course didn't have the other cars long enough)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
pattymtb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F87 M2 (MG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
My LCI had very very occasional & very slight clutch shudder almost from new but it has progressively gotten worse. When cold it's not really an issue but now once everything is up to operating temp moving off from stationary I have to keep revs above 1K at minimum or it shudders terribly. Driving in heavy traffic is a nightmare. Any ideas before I go to dealer for warranty claim?

Have done 36K km and still have original tyres (5mm tread left on rear PS4s-I had these installed to replace the Conti's on delivery), no burnouts and I've been driving manuals for 40yrs, only ever had to replace one clutch & that was at 180K km! (of course didn't have the other cars long enough)
Also interested to see what's up, my LCI OG is doing the same exact thing 33k km
      07-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Generally speaking, clutch judder is either a sign of fluid contamination, or heat induced distortion as a result of slip.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Took car into dealer yesterday and went for a drive with their test driver, of course it hardly played up but we did get mild shudder a couple of times so they are going to remove the transmission/clutch to investigate the problem, all under warranty. They are booked up for 5 weeks & will report back once done.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Took car into dealer yesterday and went for a drive with their test driver, of course it hardly played up but we did get mild shudder a couple of times so they are going to remove the transmission/clutch to investigate the problem, all under warranty. They are booked up for 5 weeks & will report back once done.
As in they are going to have your car for 5 week?! Or you have to come back for the job to start in 5 weeks?

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
As in they are going to have your car for 5 week?! Or you have to come back for the job to start in 5 weeks?
I keep driving my car & take it back in 5 wks, they said the assessment/repair may take a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
pattymtb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F87 M2 (MG)

Quote:
I'm taking my car in for an oil change and right rear tail light malfunction, I'll get them to take a look as well.
      07-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
mleroux
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Same thing is happening to my '17 OG. It has been happening since 22k miles. I plan to take it in soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:03 AM   #9
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

In a twist to the shudder/slippage I've been experiencing, a week ago I did a track day (1st for this car on track), 6 x 20min sessions, and ever since the clutch problem has all but disappeared! Only once I got a little shudder pulling up my driveway when I let the clutch start to engage with engine at idle rpm, depressed the clutch & increased revs to approx 1K then pulled away OK. Otherwise in a week of normal driving no issues.

All starts on the track day were from the pits so no dropping the clutch or big launches from standstill and I used re-matching, so whatever the day did to the clutch would I think be a result of heat rather than friction/wear. Guess it's now a matter of wait & see if the issue returns.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:19 AM   #10
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

I typed to soon, over the last 4-5 days of city/suburban driving the clutch shudder is back to what it was before the track day. Only when hot and moving off casually from stationary. Luckily I didn't cancel the dealer appointment so will find out what the issue is in 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:37 AM   #11
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone with similar issues dealer has pulled my transmission/clutch/flywheel and says the flywheel is the problem.

New flywheel has to come from Germany (& they're replacing clutch as well) so will be 3-4 weeks before I get the car back. There aren't many manual M2's and less M3/4's in Australia which is no doubt why no parts here, even so I'd have to compliment BMW AU & my dealer for their response. I've searched through the M3/4 forum and there doesn't seem to be a known issue with the flywheel so hopefully this fix will solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
jacperlm
Rep
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 | 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [0.00]
Had this issue on my M2, dealer said it was due to a faulty turbo waste gate actuator. I only experienced the issue when the car was warm and engaging first from a stop. Mine was replaced under warranty and fixed the shudder. Hopefully this fixes the problem for some of you
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacperlm View Post
Had this issue on my M2, dealer said it was due to a faulty turbo waste gate actuator. I only experienced the issue when the car was warm and engaging first from a stop. Mine was replaced under warranty and fixed the shudder. Hopefully this fixes the problem for some of you
Are you able to elaborate on how the faulty waste gate causes the shudder? (I'm genuinely curious & assume you're talking about clutch shudder rather than fluctuations in engine power output).

I've had my car back for 5 days since the flywheel was replaced (I was told the clutch was replaced as it comes with a new flywheel, have to take their word for it but strangely the invoice only shows flywheel part #). Have done 350km and not experienced any of the moderate/severe shudder that was previously there. When everything is hot however I've occasionally had a little shudder moving off slowly in 1st & now reverse (eg manoeuvring in a carpark) but increase revs to 1K or so there is no issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
jacperlm
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacperlm View Post
Are you able to elaborate on how the faulty waste gate causes the shudder? (I'm genuinely curious & assume you're talking about clutch shudder rather than fluctuations in engine power output).

I've had my car back for 5 days since the flywheel was replaced (I was told the clutch was replaced as it comes with a new flywheel, have to take their word for it but strangely the invoice only shows flywheel part #). Have done 350km and not experienced any of the moderate/severe shudder that was previously there. When everything is hot however I've occasionally had a little shudder moving off slowly in 1st & now reverse (eg manoeuvring in a carpark) but increase revs to 1K or so there is no issue.
I'm no mechanic, so don't quote me, but I believe the tech told me the wastegate was stuck in the closed position, which was forcing the turbo to start spoiling from a lower RPM than designed. This caused more lag than usual when accelerating from a stop or very low speeds at low rpms.

My opinion on what was causing the feeling of the shudder is related to the auto revving feature that lets you depress the clutch without manually having to give it gas yourself. It seemed like the car was shuddering/on the verge of stalling bc the car wasn't making the power it should be at the rpms it is programmed to be at. So in my case it wasnt the clutch at all even though the car was shuddering.

Hopefully this helps. Again, not a mechanic by any means, but they definitely fixed the issue related to my car by doing this. It may be a different issue than you are having, but wanted to throw it out there in case.
Appreciate 1
David.m429.50
      10-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #15
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I'm having this issue now as well. It's really annoying that it only happens when the car is warm...

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
jacperlm
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [0.00]
I take back my original post. I just started feeling the clutch shudder again when the car is warm. Didnt have the issue for a solid 4 or 5 months after they replaced the actuator, but it the issue is definitely back.

If anyone figures out what the cause is please post and let us all know...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #17
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I do remember BMW has a history of issues with clutches when hot. I once borrowed an E36 from a colleague (back when they were current), and stuck in a traffic jam it had similar issues but also slipped at times when it was hot.

Reading back in this thread, at lease one post talked about things improving after a track day. It could be that the clutch in the M2 (which is shared with the F80 F82/3 M3 and M4) doesn't appreciate being used as a daily driver in stop and go traffic, and perhaps benefits from an 'Italian Tune Up' once in a while.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:18 AM   #18
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I do remember BMW has a history of issues with clutches when hot. I once borrowed an E36 from a colleague (back when they were current), and stuck in a traffic jam it had similar issues but also slipped at times when it was hot.

Reading back in this thread, at lease one post talked about things improving after a track day. It could be that the clutch in the M2 (which is shared with the F80 F82/3 M3 and M4) doesn't appreciate being used as a daily driver in stop and go traffic, and perhaps benefits from an 'Italian Tune Up' once in a while.
can confirm its better after a trackday. a little bit of shudder seems normal. all of my friends manual m2 seem to have it
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
Heights Ag 06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 Black Shadow

I've had this problem as well on my '17 6spd since about 23k miles. Took it to dealership and they couldn't replicate the problem. Seems the same as others - can be pretty bad when car is warm in both starting from 1st gear and from low speeds in 2nd gear. Feels like it is coming from back of car. Haven't had a track day since the spring, so that may have something to do with it?

If anyone has further luck with the dealer, let me know. Following this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #20
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Just happened to me for the first time 2 nights ago. Was pulling off from a stop, light-medium throttle with clutch partially engaged. I heard and felt a "thumping" sound and assumed my wheel was slipping (DSC off so I could heel-toe), but thinking back, there was no way I was putting enough power down to spin the wheels unless there was some major oil on the road.

Funny enough, I had just gotten the car back from the dealership (regular service). If it happens again, sounds like I'll be headed back there...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #21
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I've had this issue come up sporadically but it is rare. It has been too hard to pinpoint when it would happen, so I felt a little shudder was normal. When it does happen, I just give it a little more gas so that the RPMs are over 1K, as OP mentions.

I'm at 26K miles, I think it's happened since I've owned the car new. But it is infrequent - maybe only happened a total of 3-4 times ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:16 AM   #22
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I hate to dig this thread out of the grave from like 9 months ago, but has anybody else done anything further with this? I have around 22,500 miles on my 2018 and I've been noticing weirdness with the clutch. I got it really bad today when backing out of my garage and down my drive, which is a very gentle downward slope.

I was feeding a tiny bit of gas and slowly letting out the clutch and it felt like everything was shuddering violently, so I clutched back in and tried again with a little bit more throttle and then it was at least better. The car was "cold," but it had been sitting inside my closed garage which was baking in 90F+ heat and high humidity all afternoon. Of note, I do still have my delay valve, car is 100% stock other than having an AWRON gauge installed and ASD coded off.

I'm always super paranoid about clutch wear... but I also downshift to decelerate a lot, figuring that the auto-blip is helping me to not do too much damage to the clutch.

I'm worried that if I take it to BMW I or they won't be able to reproduce it, and even if we can, I'm worried they'll say, "sorry, clutch is a wear item, you're paying for all of it."
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0