BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > ppf and ceramic pricing?

07-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Mkinzie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2, 18 wrangler 7 seater

ppf and ceramic pricing?

any one had this done and do u mind sharing cost?

I had my car looked at today to do a full ppf in matte and the guy said if he does matte he has to ceramic coat it.

actual quote is being worked up, but said im looking at 7-8k for matte ppf and 1200 for ceramic

is this legit? seems really high

said would have to have guy come in and detail really well and correct any spots before put ppf on
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

I’d charge you 5-6k CAD for full car ppf (even matte).

You don’t “have” to ceramic coat the matte ppf. That doesn’t make sense. But if you want it to be hydrophobic it’s a good idea. Just keep in mind you will probably end up with more of a satin finish with the coating on top of matte.

Depending on what type of coating/layers you’re doing it can be anywhere from $500 to over $1500 (again in CAD).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Mkinzie
Private
Rep

Said the matte. Holds dirt really bad & will stay dirty. So have to coat it.

So high side that would be roughly $4500.
Big diff. From 7-8k.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkinzie View Post
Said the matte. Holds dirt really bad & will stay dirty. So have to coat it.

So high side that would be roughly $4500.
Big diff. From 7-8k.
I work with SunTek and their matte ppf is similar to their standard film - it won’t “hold” dirt but adding a ceramic on top will certainly make it easier to clean/maintain.

I would seriously question this shop based on their quote and sales pitch.
Appreciate 1
akkando5860.00
      07-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Mkinzie
Private
Rep

yes I got another quote today suntek full car matte including carbon window tint
$5k
and they said they asked manufacturer about ceramic coating the matte and was told ceramic coating it would void the 10 yr warranty if was done
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
yes I got another quote today suntek full car matte including carbon window tint
$5k
and they said they asked manufacturer about ceramic coating the matte and was told ceramic coating it would void the 10 yr warranty if was done
Are we talking usd or Canadian.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #7
Mkinzie
Private
Rep

U.S $ east texas
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #8
Oberbürgermeister
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

$1800 for full frontal, extended rocker panel coverage and replacing the factory coverage all the way to the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Paid $1850 for full front to doors, mirrors, rocker panel, luggage area, and rear fender. Did the ceramic coating myself (Gtechniq CSL/EXO) for another $100.

Point is... seems high to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
you get what you pay for applies here. do your homework because some are going to lure you in and do no proper prep work and some will charge you a lot because well they can.

be an educated customer it's not hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Henry1518
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Spyder, M2C

$3000 for full front, side skirts, full rear quarter panel to a-pillar as one piece, and rear bumper section behind rear wheels (xpel ultimate).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I'm getting my front bumper only in xpel for $500 done this weekend. Come to Dallas and see if we can get a better deal if we do it together. Ceramic is 1k but I'm not interested at this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #13
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1518 View Post
$3000 for full front, side skirts, full rear quarter panel to a-pillar as one piece, and rear bumper section behind rear wheels (xpel ultimate).
If you have a single piece going from the rear quarter panel to the a-pillar, how do you open the door? Maybe you mean c-pillar?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #14
Mkinzie
Private
Rep

so is 5k for full wrap and tint job including winshield. still too much ?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I recently hit a deer (I'll post pics soon) and thankfully it was a small deer and did NOT roll up over the hood and into the windscreen.

New hood, both headlight units, new front clip, and grills. @ $9000

Had PPF & Ceramic. Quoted full hood and full front clip both PPF & Ceramic $1150 +tax.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:29 AM   #16
BMW ///M
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition Germany Edition

Garage List
Quote:
any one had this done and do u mind sharing cost?

I had my car looked at today to do a full ppf in matte and the guy said if he does matte he has to ceramic coat it.

actual quote is being worked up, but said im looking at 7-8k for matte ppf and 1200 for ceramic

is this legit? seems really high

said would have to have guy come in and detail really well and correct any spots before put ppf on
So I've been doing some research on PPF and Ceramics.
My problems are these:
1) It is expensive ($$$$$$)
2) It will age differently to the paint on the car - so either I PPF+C the whole car (more $$$$) or risk the parts with PPF+C looking different to the rest of the car. (and I don't think my Autism can handle that)
3) It is difficult to handle scratches and dents - because anything that requires a respray will require the panelbeater to strip the PPF off first, then respray and reapply the PPF+C onto the repaired panel ($$$$ + $$$$)
4) Paint is designed to protect the panel from rust (and make it look good) and paint can be colour matched and can be "cut" with polish to bring it back to a factory looking shine.
5) No-one I know who has a concours car has PPF+C
6) Some aren't Oleophobic or Hydrophobic
7) Ceramic wears off.
8) Every single journalist I trust says avoid the stuff like the plague.

and some questions

How does PPF+C handle hail dent removal? (where they stick a glob of glue to your paint and then lever the dent out and then the glue unsticks itself and is removed)

How do you touch up after some arsehole has keyed your pride and joy?

Are there actually any advantages to PPK+C at all?
Please correct me if I have got anything wrong.

///M
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #17
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW ///M View Post
So I've been doing some research on PPF and Ceramics.
My problems are these:
2) It will age differently to the paint on the car - so either I PPF+C the whole car (more $$$$) or risk the parts with PPF+C looking different to the rest of the car. (and I don't think my Autism can handle that)
3) It is difficult to handle scratches and dents - because anything that requires a respray will require the panelbeater to strip the PPF off first, then respray and reapply the PPF+C onto the repaired panel ($$$$ + $$$$)
4) Paint is designed to protect the panel from rust (and make it look good) and paint can be colour matched and can be "cut" with polish to bring it back to a factory looking shine.
7) Ceramic wears off.

and some questions

How does PPF+C handle hail dent removal? (where they stick a glob of glue to your paint and then lever the dent out and then the glue unsticks itself and is removed)

Please correct me if I have got anything wrong.

///M
Here's a good video:

yeah, it is.

In most cases i urge my customers to either PPF and coat the whole car or skip the coating all together if they aren't willing to do the whole car for this reason. Sections protected with PPF will age similarly but the ceramic coating would offer protection against a lot of the UV and chemical damage that paint goes through over time.

If you have to remove the PPF from a panel and repaint it then you're probably looking at an insurance claim to begin with and most insurance providers will cover the costs of the clear bra and ceramic coating.

You can polish PPF as well. However, most quality films are self healing and there is usually no need to polish or perform 'paint correction' on the ppf.

There's a risk with PPF of damaging the paint... not sure owners of vehicles like that would want to run the risk of pulling clear/paint from their car. I've seen plenty that have had a Ceramic Coating installed.

I don't think it's a good coating if it doesn't repel water/make the surface easier to clean and maintain

7) Ceramic wears off.

Ceramic coatings should be long-term to permanent applications. It may begin to perform at a lower level than when first installed due to wear and tear but that's when you reapply to repair the top coat of your coating. Waxes and sealants wear off and don't really hold up to regular washing like a proper ceramic coating will.

Lots of people are still skeptical or hesitant. I'd say give it a shot if you can - a 1 year coating runs about $250 w/o any paint correction here in SoCal and is definitely worth at least trying out in my opinion.

It depends - after a few weeks there shouldn't be any issues with this method of PDR. Sometimes you'll need to reapply the ceramic coating if they had to polish or touch up the paint in the area where the dent was removed.

If someone keyed your car then you're probably filing an insurance claim to take care of the repaint, ppf and ceramic coating.

Of course. PPF for rock chips, scratches and protection from debris. The ceramic coating is great for ease of cleaning and protection from environmental factors like UV damage, road salts, iron fallout etc. The ppf will protect the areas that take the most impact damage and the coating will make the entire car easier to clean and maintain.
      04-12-2021, 05:27 AM   #18
DougVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

PPF and Ceramic: Join in with friends, family, or neighbors

I have found there are big discounts available at most detailers if you come in with a request for at least 2-3 cars at the same time. We did 2 cars of our own and added our son's for a total of 3. The discount from the "list" price was about 30%. I just told the detailer that I had 3 cars and asked for his best price, and there it was. Didn't take much pushing at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #19
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
I have not had PPF done before and would like to know if this is normal to see all of these seams and gaps.

One pic is the hood which I knew we might see a seam. Two are the front intakes which I know is a complicated section but was not expecting the gaps is was thinking of a more continuous wrap of the surface. The last pic is the hip with a line(s) around the gas cap.

What should I expect as for application. I don't want to be an asshat about this just want a good job?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #20
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

What brand and coverage option did you go with? If XPEL, they have computer templates and a die cuts so seams clean and very minimal. Yours looks like it was free handed (and not very well).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:46 AM   #21
RJD851
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 M3, X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndvs View Post
I have not had PPF done before and would like to know if this is normal to see all of these seams and gaps.

One pic is the hood which I knew we might see a seam. Two are the front intakes which I know is a complicated section but was not expecting the gaps is was thinking of a more continuous wrap of the surface. The last pic is the hip with a line(s) around the gas cap.

What should I expect as for application. I don't want to be an asshat about this just want a good job?
That looks pretty rough to be honest...I had matte film done so any gaps like that would be really obvious. My installer did a good job around the intakes, going all the way to the edge of the plastic grille (sorry for the dirt, just got back from a road trip). And for the gas cap the film extends around the edges so it looks seamless when closed. What section of the hood is that? He was able to wrap my hood with a single piece so no seams.
Attached Images

Last edited by RJD851; 04-15-2021 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #22
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
I did elect to do a short piece on the hood but I think I'm going to get the whole hood done so I won't see the line. I will meet up with the installer next week and see what he can rework.

Mine was free handed and is STEK DYNOshield. Thank you all for the input and pics RJD!
Appreciate 1
(K)1240.50