BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Contemplating pulling my deposit... what do you guys think?

08-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #23
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Have you seen one in person or sat in one? I have, there was a MP62 supercharged one owned by an acquaintance in my shared shop space for about a year, it's a pos home made kit car that was broken or being fiddled with to keep it running half the time. It has no aero and is a brick after 100 mph with no benefits of downforce in the corners plus the owner calls it the "death trap".

If you're just comparing power to weight of cars and think that automatically solely determines performance on a track I don't even need to discuss this with you. Maybe next you'll tell me a top fuel funny car should be faster around a track than a F1 car because it has a better power to weight ratio.

My STI is my cush daily driver and comparing it a barely legal street car with absolutely no amenities where half the gear is zip tied or home made sheet metal is asinine. Same with my street legal GT3 with full interior, a/c, stereo that I drive 600+ miles round trip to COTA 5-6 times a year. Cars like the Exocet should be compared to things like the Atom and SR3 but they can't even keep up with fast street cars like a GT3 or track prepped Z06/Viper. You can buy a older 1300cc Radical SR3 in the low to mid 30's, not much more than building an Exocet from scratch and will beat it around most tracks by 10+ seconds.

BTW the GT3 is still 5+ seconds a lap faster than the Exocet I mentioned (see link) earlier on a small 1.7 mile track. The difference is even worse on a big track like COTA.

I appreciate the response. This was more of the feedback I was looking for and am not even slightly surprised the gt3 is faster around a track. Obviously a far more refined package. I'm also not so sure the car you posted in that vid is an accurate depiction of the potential of the car. It doesn't look like he even has a dash let alone any body work, which will obviously increase drag and reduce lap times. I have been reading up on their forum and there is a lot of aero you can add to the car. I also did not say P/W is the sole indicator of a car's performance but it is definitely a big one. I have looked for a radical but they are definitely hard to come by. I may extend my search.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #24
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
I appreciate the response. This was more of the feedback I was looking for and am not even slightly surprised the gt3 is faster around a track. Obviously a far more refined package. I'm also not so sure the car you posted in that vid is an accurate depiction of the potential of the car. It doesn't look like he even has a dash let alone any body work, which will obviously increase drag and reduce lap times. I have been reading up on their forum and there is a lot of aero you can add to the car. I also did not say P/W is the sole indicator of a car's performance but it is definitely a big one. I have looked for a radical but they are definitely hard to come by. I may extend my search.
The two I saw had no dash and only 1/3 body. They seemed like something that should be sub $5000, not pushing $20,000. I would never put want $20,000 into one of these. I think you'll get thrashed on re-sale when you're sick of it.

Not to beat the Lotus horse, but they are going up in Value. Mine was free to own over the 3 years and a total blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #25
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Apexspeed forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #26
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
The two I saw had no dash and only 1/3 body. They seemed like something that should be sub $5000, not pushing $20,000. I would never put want $20,000 into one of these. I think you'll get thrashed on re-sale when you're sick of it.

Not to beat the Lotus horse, but they are going up in Value. Mine was free to own over the 3 years and a total blast to drive.
Trust me, I'd love a lotus but if I went that route I would want an 07-10 exige s... I could probably pick one up with decent mileage around $45K if I looked long enough, but that is relatively close to the M2, so that would not be a matter of saving money. It would be a choice between the 2 cars, but who knows maybe I go that route.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #27
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Trust me, I'd love a lotus but if I went that route I would want an 07-10 exige s... I could probably pick one up with decent mileage around $45K if I looked long enough, but that is relatively close to the M2, so that would not be a matter of saving money. It would be a choice between the 2 cars, but who knows maybe I go that route.
What I'm trying to say is that you should look at a low end Elise as an alternative to the Kit Car. I know you want a Minty Exige 360 Cup, but that's not in the same price point as your kit car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #28
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

FWIW, I think this is nuts.
      08-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #29
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You aren't buying any decent miles 07-10 Exige S for 45K, maybe 3 years ago...A decent one will be M2 money and a 10 or 240 will be socal dealer mark up M2 money.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #30
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
You aren't buying any decent miles 07-10 Exige S for 45K, maybe 3 years ago...A decent one will be M2 money and a 10 or 240 will be socal dealer mark up M2 money.

45K here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...ed-45k-339418/

50K:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...e-sale-375121/

52K:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...e-gray-377225/

If I import from Canada (about 54k):
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...0-sale-374665/

And my favorite but also most expensive s240 (57k):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5667014580.html

all of which are obo and decent mileage, but ya around 50K said and done and being from AZ wouldn't have to pay taxes for private sales unlike from a dealer with the M2. I like the idea of the exige and the fact that I would take little to no hit from depreciation. So we will see.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #31
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
45K here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...ed-45k-339418/

50K:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...e-sale-375121/

52K:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...e-gray-377225/

If I import from Canada (about 54k):
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...0-sale-374665/

And my favorite but also most expensive s240 (57k):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5667014580.html

all of which are obo and decent mileage, but ya around 50K said and done and being from AZ wouldn't have to pay taxes for private sales unlike from a dealer with the M2. I like the idea of the exige and the fact that I would take little to no hit from depreciation. So we will see.
$45K one, 31K is a lot of miles for a car like an Exige.

Blue one isn't bad but 50K is a lot for that car. When I had my 06 Elise I paid low 30's with 13K miles and put the same MP62 blower on it for 3k, same performance.

The problem is they are terrible street cars. The power sucks, rides rough, leaks water, a/c is almost non-existent, stereo is awful and you can't use the handling potential on a public road without risking jail time. Fun track/autocross car, not good for much else. Mine sat in my garage most the time, I preferred my tuned 335i back then. I do agree with you on depreciation, it's not going to go down if any if you don't mile it out or ruin it.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #32
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
So I have a deposit down with my dealer for a possible ED in about 12-14 months. After seeing the thesmokingtire video on the Exocet my interest was peaked. So I am most likely different than many of the other M2 buyers as this will be my "fun" car while I have to drive a larger SUV for work. So I would drive the car at a couple track days every couple of months but mostly on weekends and possible a couple of times during the afternoons. I automatically assumed I would get an M2 because I am no stranger to bmw coupes (this would be my 5th) but after watching that vid and doing quite a bit of research I am highly contemplating dropping the M2 for an Exocet. Basically, it would be about $18K for a turbo Exocet running about 220-240 whp only weighing about 1600 lbs vs the M2 for $55K and invevitable 1000s with the mods I'll end up doing. I know the exocet is a "toy" car and won't have all the daily comforts of the M2 but I am interested to see what you guys think.

Vid for reference:

I moved from Phoenix to Louisiana about 5 years ago and I miss those roads out there.

I think you're insane if you give up your M2 for this thing, but that's just my take.

I too drive a SUV daily but that's because I live in a place with horrible roads and tons of rain. Despite that, when I get the M2, I will mix it in for daily driving as well as weekend jaunts and eventually auto cross.

If I lived back in AZ, 1) I wouldn't have a SUV, and 2) the M2 would be the perfect DD, leaving me the ability to have a 997.2 C4S cab for weekends/additional fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #33
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
I moved from Phoenix to Louisiana about 5 years ago and I miss those roads out there.

I think you're insane if you give up your M2 for this thing, but that's just my take.

I too drive a SUV daily but that's because I live in a place with horrible roads and tons of rain. Despite that, when I get the M2, I will mix it in for daily driving as well as weekend jaunts and eventually auto cross.

If I lived back in AZ, 1) I wouldn't have a SUV, and 2) the M2 would be the perfect DD, leaving me the ability to have a 997.2 C4S cab for weekends/additional fun.
I hear you. I was thinking about DDing the M2 but I have to drive 20-25,000 miles/ year for work. I'd rather not hit 100k miles within 4 years on the bimmer hah. I also carry a lot of stuff in the car. Maybe it would fit with the rear seats folded down in the M2 but maybe it wouldn't. I didn't get anything fancy for work though, just a subaru. My right foot is itching though. I need to get something quick soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #34
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Gotcha. With those kinds of miles, I don't blame you. But at least you can mix in the M2 a couple of days a week-- perhaps when you don't have to haul as much-- if you go that route.
Appreciate 0