BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M2 vs Porsche Macan Turbo: odd couple fight it out on track

07-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #45
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I bought a Macan GTS this week. Quite happy with it but the bad part is I can't come around a corner,smash the gas and watch the white smoke in my rear view mirror for a half a mile like I could in an M3,M2 or a Cayman S.
You won't miss the m3 at all. Macan is IMO more fun to drive. It has better steering feel, the throttle response is incredible, and the engine and exhaust note are actually pleasing and sound downright good. Plus you don't have traction issues and can really plant your foot down and have fun.
It's like having a practical Cayman S.
Driven the Macan S when it first came out. Steering was light and vague. It was most certainly able to put the power down, but the power came so seamless that it was zero fun even going at 100mph.
The chassis are amazing but mostly tuned for for practicality rather than having fun.

I would take m235 vs Macan any day as a fun daily driver. Forget the M3 and Cayman, those cars are in a whole different world.
Macan would be an awesome wife's car, however cargo space is limited for a family of 4.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #46
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Porsche ranks as one of the top, if not the top, in quality and reliability.
Quote of the day
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #47
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Driven the Macan S when it first came out. Steering was light and vague. It was most certainly able to put the power down, but the power came so seamless that it was zero fun even going at 100mph.
The chassis are amazing but mostly tuned for for practicality rather than having fun.

I would take m235 vs Macan any day as a fun daily driver. Forget the M3 and Cayman, those cars are in a whole different world.
Macan would be an awesome wife's car, however cargo space is limited for a family of 4.
It's no 911 in terms of feel but definitely better than most cars. I find the car to be a lot of fun and really enjoy what it offers. Easy to lay in the throttle and really provides a level of practicality I need for a daily driver.
I also disagree on being geared towards practicality. It's geared for fun driving, and all you need to do it hit the sport butting or sport + and it plays the duality factor as good if not better than any car. Plus with things like ptv and pasm it definitely makes for fun driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #48
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Quote of the day
I'll just leave this here but the results of the past 10-15 years are about the same every year for Porsche.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote of the day
I'll just leave this here but the results of the past 10-15 years are about the same every year for Porsche.

Could you leave some *relevant * data ?

15 years of initial quality rating doesn't have anything to do with reliability ..
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #50
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk001
Steve Sutcliffe's M2 time is actually quick. He did 00:46.1, quicker than M2 DCT 00:46.7 tested on the same track against the Focus RS.
That's because the M2 manual is actually faster than the M2 DCT around a track !

Wait what ?

This isn't the first time an M2 DCT has been bested by a manual gearbox. It's happened with a comparison to a 1M also.

Could it be that a HUMAN selecting gears around the track is better than a computer ??
Indeed! It all comes down to gut feel, and computers just don't have that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #51
Coulson T
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: awaiting a MG M2

I too, vote knob and a pointless comparison.......................
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #52
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post

JD power survey for the UK and not a Porsche in sight

Porsche over the years have been riddled with problems with their engines and drive train.I've had two 911's and both have had major engine problems.The only engine that was any good was the Metzger.

2015 UK VDS Rank 1.JPG
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #53
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
That's because the M2 manual is actually faster than the M2 DCT around a track !

Wait what ?

This isn't the first time an M2 DCT has been bested by a manual gearbox. It's happened with a comparison to a 1M also.

Could it be that a HUMAN selecting gears around the track is better than a computer ??

This is mister James Disdale driving the M2 and Focus RS at the same track @ 46.7 (DCT).

This is probably due to the fact he is another HUMAN being than Steve Sutcliffe and/or road conditions and temperature were different.

*reminder to himself:needs to go to grocery store to buy some apples and oranges*

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #54
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Could you leave some *relevant * data ?

15 years of initial quality rating doesn't have anything to do with reliability ..
Dependability does. Just so happens they've also been at the top of IQS too. I updated with the correct dependability.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #55
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post

It's no 911 in terms of feel but definitely better than most cars. I find the car to be a lot of fun and really enjoy what it offers. Easy to lay in the throttle and really provides a level of practicality I need for a daily driver.
I also disagree on being geared towards practicality. It's geared for fun driving, and all you need to do it hit the sport butting or sport + and it plays the duality factor as good if not better than any car. Plus with things like ptv and pasm it definitely makes for fun driving.
Not saying that it's not fun at all. It's definitely more fun that SUVs built by most competitors. It is also more fun than some of the cars. Camry comes to mind.
It's not even near as fun as m235 nor the m3. Cayman and 911 are too far from what Macan can offer. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #56
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

Porsche over the years have been riddled with problems with their engines and drive train.I've had two 911's and both have had major engine problems.The only engine that was any good was the Metzger.

2015 UK VDS Rank 1.JPG
What's a Metzger?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #57
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
What's a Metzger?

http://www.total911.com/technology-e...mezger-engine/

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #58
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

2015 UK VDS Rank 1.JPG
Quote:
What's a Metzger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quite,my mistake " Mezger " of course of Hans Mezger fame
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #59
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives
Quote:

2015 UK VDS Rank 1.JPG
Quote:
What's a Metzger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Just like misspelled 'Nurembergring' still quite obvious what is being meant isn't it

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #60
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
I'm just kidding with you, I have two GT3's with Mezger engines (3.6 and 3.8)
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #61
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I do like that macan. Maybe I'll think about it as secondary car in the future...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #62
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I'd go with Macan + Cayman for mine.
That's what I did. Macan GTS and GT4 for me. Both awesome vehicles.
That's awesome!
      07-29-2016, 02:26 AM   #63
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Are you justifying that a manual M2 would be as quick as a DCT? If so, you do realize that you are talking about timing of cars on two different days, under different track conditions, and driven by two different drivers. Same track, same day, same driver the DCT M2 will be faster.

Just forget about it, don't know why I am wasting my time on this article of an over weight SUV being compared to a light weight sports coupe lol!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk001 View Post
Steve Sutcliffe's M2 time is actually quick. He did 00:46.1, quicker than M2 DCT 00:46.7 tested on the same track against the Focus RS.
Nv
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 07-29-2016 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #64
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I bought a Macan GTS this week. Quite happy with it but the bad part is I can't come around a corner,smash the gas and watch the white smoke in my rear view mirror for a half a mile like I could in an M3,M2 or a Cayman S.
You won't miss the m3 at all. Macan is IMO more fun to drive. It has better steering feel, the throttle response is incredible, and the engine and exhaust note are actually pleasing and sound downright good. Plus you don't have traction issues and can really plant your foot down and have fun.
It's like having a practical Cayman S.
This is what I have come to learn coming from a Cayman S I just got rid of which I really liked. There are cars you like and love but find hard to live with for daily use and drivability but the Macan S is actually quite fun to live with. Good handling and great everyday usability. Do not need to slow down at every dip in the streets of Los Angeles. Bump Los Angeles roads feel normal now when compared to my Cayman S which found Los Angeles roads to be very bad. Trip up North to Santa Barbara in traffic did not feel as tiresome as it would have been in my last Cayman S. I think this car offers the best of both worlds for everyday driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #65
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
Ha, that's my dream garage! We had the Macan S and an M225 (still have that one). Unless you need to haul a boat or lots of kids or something I cannot imagine a better combo to have in the garage.
I actually have a 1M and a Macan GTS. It is best combo I can think of. Macan for daily driving / run about and the 1M as the fun car.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #66
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterspeed View Post
It's a Porsche it will cost more as its more luxury, however that said reliability... is questionable.
I have a Porsche Macan and it's been flawless since day one.
Yeah Porsche has been topping most initial quality ratings in German cars for a couple years now. They days of the spun rod bearing 996s are well behind them.
Appreciate 0