BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M2 vs 1M Coupe vs M4 track battle: two-door M car triple test!

08-03-2016, 05:28 AM   #23
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

M2 sounds 100x better than both the 1m and m4 in that vid.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #24
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Dunno, probably.
But I think it's about this:
The most fun I have is in the smallest most agile car.
Having 70(M2) or >100(1M) crank HP less than M4 Comp with such a small difference. Theoretically impossible, but numbers don't lie. With MT boxes....And WHP difference will even be greater.

1M such a great car still. Wow.
M2 looks and sounds the part
M6, why was it there anyway?

Cheers
Robin
Depends if there are any sections where you can actually use the throttle to take advantage of the extra power, in the case of this small sub 50 second track, not really.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #25
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Depends if there are any sections where you can actually use the throttle to take advantage of the extra power, in the case of this small sub 50 second track, not really.
Yup, and he even said the 6MT was probably better for this track due to gearing.
      08-04-2016, 03:02 AM   #26
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

I am doing the Noosa hillclimb this weekend. I hope that much talked about agility comes to the fore
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #27
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

It's Llandow Circuit.
Please take a look at this: M2 vs M4, M2 faster....
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/llandow

Steve didn't say the M4 pulled harder than the M2 on the back straight, because there is no (back) straight at all as you can see on the map.
[/sarcasm]

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #28
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's Llandow Circuit.

Steve didn't say the M4 pulled harder than the M2 on the back straight, because there is no (back) straight at all as you can see on the map.
[/sarcasm]

Cheers
Robin
Did you watch the video? M4 was a 45.8 which is faster than a 46.1. The website with the list is not updated yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #29
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Did you watch the video? M4 was a 45.8 which is faster than a 46.1. The website with the list is not updated yet.
Normal M4(edit M3 F80) is slower on 'that track without two straights'. M4 comp is 0.3 s faster.

But I hope you get my point about the straights

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #30
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

Quote:
It's Llandow Circuit.

[/sarcasm]

Cheers
Robin
I'm not entirely sure what your point is, are you implying that a track with more straights doesn't favor the higher horsepower car? Because if so, that goes against all conventional wisdom.

More often than not the longer, straighter track is going to favor the higher horsepower car. Maybe Sutcliffe fucked up on the M3's lap, maybe they were tested on different days, maybe one was in the damp or maybe one car was a DCT and the other a manual. The point is it doesn't really matter, no one said that the M3/M4 will be faster on every track with straights, just that straighter tracks will favor the higher horsepower car in general.
      08-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #31
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

I was being sarcastic, I do that many times with people who think they seem to get it but they don't
M4 comp wins because what he loses in the corners he wins on the straights, come on how many times do I have to explain it....

M3 is too big, way more powerful than M2/1M, less sophisticated chassis setup than M4 comp. Hence slower laptime than M2/M4 Comp.

M4 comp is just a tiny bit faster than the smaller more agile M2/1M......because of its superb power advantage it can use on the TWO straights. Hence it wins by a very small margin.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 02:19 AM   #32
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
I was being sarcastic, I do that many times with people who think they seem to get it but they don't
M4 comp wins because what he loses in the corners he wins on the straights, come on how many times do I have to explain it....

M3 is too big, way more powerful than M2/1M, less sophisticated chassis setup than M4 comp. Hence slower laptime than M2/M4 Comp.

M4 comp is just a tiny bit faster than the smaller more agile M2/1M......because of its superb power advantage it can use on the TWO straights. Hence it wins by a very small margin.

Cheers
Robin
Sarcasm is my fave kind of wit.

Re: M4 v 1M v M2 - They could all win on the day.
How they are steered will beat hp / fancy diffs / carbon roofs
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      08-05-2016, 02:36 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Sarcasm is my fave kind of wit.

Re: M4 v 1M v M2 - They could all win on the day.
How they are steered will beat hp / fancy diffs / carbon roofs///M4RKETING
I added one more thing if you don't mind

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
NachoM67.00
koastal375.50
      08-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #34
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Cheers
Robin
M4 comp is just as big and powerful as the M3 if not more so it's the same chassis (with a little more tire which can be easily changed). Different lap times on different days in different conditions but who cares just buy/drive what you want.
Appreciate 0