Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW ///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHansen View Post
I am really confuse in my experience. I have only just had a ceramic coat for the first time ever with my M2C but have always looked after my cars with wax etc. Is it coincidence that my M2C which now hs 2100 k's on it has the worst chip I have had in my life, right to bare metal but not a dent or anything, just a chip. I feel like the ceramic is like a ceramic plate and I seem to always have a plate with a chip....not a scratch...a chip, so doe this protection act like a hard coat that where typically would cop a scratc, actually chip instead?? I don't think I'll ceramic coat again.
Lets see - a diamond has a hardness of 10 and Talc has a hardness of 1.

If you hit a diamond with a hammer it shatters into chips and Talc will deform to the shape of the hammer. So paint is somewhere in the middle, and ceramics are up near diamonds (being 9H). And since "ceramics bond to the paint" you bet your butt that ceramic coatings increase the hardness of your paint.

Thus if you put ceramic coatings on your car you increase the severity of the any stone chips. I think that is why people insist on putting on PPF first.

Just a thought
Any hard evidence of this? Research material on ceramics says otherwise.

I think I mentioned it above, but ceramic protections should not be viewed as a "chip severity reduction in SOME cases". They definitely make the car easier to clean but won't stop stone chips like PPF will. I've definitely experienced ceramics that help reduce the severity of rock impact, but if get hit by a whopper it's going to dent!

I disagree with the comment that it will make it worse.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #24
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHansen View Post
I am really confuse in my experience. I have only just had a ceramic coat for the first time ever with my M2C but have always looked after my cars with wax etc. Is it coincidence that my M2C which now hs 2100 k's on it has the worst chip I have had in my life, right to bare metal but not a dent or anything, just a chip. I feel like the ceramic is like a ceramic plate and I seem to always have a plate with a chip....not a scratch...a chip, so doe this protection act like a hard coat that where typically would cop a scratc, actually chip instead?? I don't think I'll ceramic coat again.
Lets see - a diamond has a hardness of 10 and Talc has a hardness of 1.

If you hit a diamond with a hammer it shatters into chips and Talc will deform to the shape of the hammer. So paint is somewhere in the middle, and ceramics are up near diamonds (being 9H). And since "ceramics bond to the paint" you bet your butt that ceramic coatings increase the hardness of your paint.

Thus if you put ceramic coatings on your car you increase the severity of the any stone chips. I think that is why people insist on putting on PPF first.

Just a thought

I think I mentioned it above, but ceramic protections should not be viewed as a "chip severity reduction in SOME cases". They definitely make the car easier to clean but won't stop stone chips like PPF will. I've definitely experienced ceramics that help reduce the severity of rock impact, but if get hit by a whopper it's going to dent!

Ceramic does NOTHING to help stop chips and also doesn't make chips worse
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #25
BMW ///M
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition Germany Edition

Garage List
Quote:

All my evidence comes from here.
"Yes, Opti-Coat provides your vehicle with some additional scratch resistance by bonding with the paint on your vehicle and producing a thin, outer layer that is harder than your factory clear coat. Ceramic coatings are not scratch proof though and some factory clear coats are also softer than others. Opti-Coat will work to reduce light scratches over the life of the vehicle. "
If it bonds to the coating and increases the hardness then it by-definition is increases the effectiveness of stone chips.

Have I personally tested this? No I'm not sticking a cheap resin on my car, ever. Please feel free to show me the evidence that they "reduce the severity of rock impacts." In fact please show me ANY evidence that they do anything other than make your car look pretty. I see that the terms and conditions of the ceramic walk back the more wild claims of this product.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 06:49 PM   #26
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Quote:

All my evidence comes from here.
"Yes, Opti-Coat provides your vehicle with some additional scratch resistance by bonding with the paint on your vehicle and producing a thin, outer layer that is harder than your factory clear coat. Ceramic coatings are not scratch proof though and some factory clear coats are also softer than others. Opti-Coat will work to reduce light scratches over the life of the vehicle. "
If it bonds to the coating and increases the hardness then it by-definition is increases the effectiveness of stone chips.

Have I personally tested this? No I'm not sticking a cheap resin on my car, ever. Please feel free to show me the evidence that they "reduce the severity of rock impacts." In fact please show me ANY evidence that they do anything other than make your car look pretty. I see that the terms and conditions of the ceramic walk back the more wild claims of this product.
I don't have evidence, it's purely my personal experience with different types, as I stated it was my opinion/experience.

Testing shows a scratch resistance from a pencil using ceramic coating, so to me that means some improvement in small impact resistance - my conclusion.

I really don't agree with the comment that it will harden the clear coat by adding a layer on top and making it more prone to chips. You can take it off and the clear coat is the same as it was before, albeit maybe a bit thinner if you cut it before application.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

If you want proper stone protection - get PPF.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:29 AM   #27
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

Any recommedations for a place to carry out a quality full PPF install in Brisbane or wider SEQ area?
Anyone know which PPF place here messed up somebody's new Ferrari with knife cuts on the paint? Just something I heard about a while back.

Only 450km on my new M2C and already have a few stone scratches on the left rear quarter just above the factory PPF piece despite being careful with gravel on roads and not following too close etc.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 01:06 AM   #28
APH
Australia
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post
Any recommedations for a place to carry out a quality full PPF install in Brisbane or wider SEQ area?
Anyone know which PPF place here messed up somebody's new Ferrari with knife cuts on the paint? Just something I heard about a while back.

Only 450km on my new M2C and already have a few stone scratches on the left rear quarter just above the factory PPF piece despite being careful with gravel on roads and not following too close etc.
No idea which place that was that screwed up the new Ferrari... But I highly recommend Solar Style in Coorparoo. I had them do both tint and partial PPF for me (Full front, mirrors, side skirts, larger rear side PPF section).
      06-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #29
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

PPF in Perth Wa

G’day
Does anyone have any recommendations for PPF in Perth Wa ?

I’d appreciate any feed back or customer experience.

I’ve just had a hard Ceramic Coating applied but want the added protection of PPF .

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 0