BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Monoball Bushings on the M2C

05-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Monoball Bushings on the M2C

Has anyone installed/upgraded the front bushings on the M2 to the Monoball spherical design?

They are supposed to really improve steering response, turn-in and feel.

Example:
https://ind-distribution.com/product...conversion-kit

Last edited by McLaren720s; 06-03-2020 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

They are also supposed to make for very noisy driving experience. Fine for regular track days, maybe not for daily use.

Edited:

Like this.https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1716822

Hopefully this isn't (yet) another instance of me messing up a perfectly good marketing attempt.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I had monoballs on my E90 M3, no additional NVH. I'll be putting them on my M2C soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Maybe it's brand specific then? Who did you get yours from?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Separately, if you want to fit them, why not go for the BMW items?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_2163
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1579.00
      05-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I had monoballs on my E90 M3, no additional NVH. I'll be putting them on my M2C soon.
What brand?
      05-14-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
What brand?
Bimmerworld
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      05-15-2020, 01:05 AM   #8
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bimmerworld
Do you mean this:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerfle...-F82-M4_2.html
      05-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #9
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

pay attention. those are great if you track but you don't want these for the street. they tend to be noisy,you want to get the dinan or millway since they are sealed against dust. If a track car is noisy, nobody cares, but for daily you must lubricate them very often. The product itself its great. i have all the uniball conversion in my gt3 rs and it's an maazin mod. just not for street. i have millway street in my m2 competition and it is perfect.
      05-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #10
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Bimmerworld
Do you mean this:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerfle...-F82-M4_2.html
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...Bearing_2.html
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      05-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

I had 2 different setups on my e92 M3. First I had the Dinan monoballs which were sealed. Zero additional NVH.

The second setup I had were the front tension struts from SPL Parts (Had the full SPL ARM conversion front and rear). Not sealed, geared towards track. Zero change in NVH from Dinan Monoballs. Also to add, they did not give me any issues at all from street driving.

I will be going SPL Parts arms again on the M2C.
      05-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Folks,

my understanding is that oem F8x lower control arm - LCA - already has a m'ball bush fitted as standard.

The tension strut aka upper control arm - UCA - has a solid rubber bush from factory and so upgrading UCA bush to m'ball is worthwhile but not sure why folks would want to swap an oem m'ball for an aftermarket m'ball ???

Hence, I'm aiming at B'world UCA as its alledgedly same/similar to oem LCA m'ball and should stabilise the front end geo under braking/turn-in by taking out deflection from rubber mounts.

BP

PS - word of caution on the adjustable poly bushes linked in one of the posts above, feedback from users is that these have a tendency to roll the inner eccentric bush as poly bush part wears. No great.

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 05-15-2020 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Folks,

my understanding is that oem F8x lower control arm - LCA - already has a m'ball bush fitted as standard.

The tension strut aka upper control arm - UCA - has a solid rubber bush from factory and so upgrading UCA bush to m'ball is worthwhile but not sure why folks would want to swap an oem m'ball for an aftermarket m'ball ???

Hence, I'm aiming at B'world UCA as its alledgedly same/similar to oem LCA m'ball and should stabilise the front end geo under braking/turn-in by taking out deflection from rubber mounts.

BP

PS - word of caution on the adjustable poly bushes linked in one of the posts above, feedback from users is that these have a tendency to roll the inner eccentric bush as poly bush part wears. No great.
I had this on my E90 - no noise, massively reduced brake shimmy on the track. Monoballs are a no brainer IMO, lots of upside no downside.
Appreciate 2
ebisu81078.00
sly1types431.50
      05-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Folks,

BP

I have not seen this or read that OEM bushings are mono ball from factory at least in the same sense as the other upgrades out there.

The LCA or Wishbone seems to have a rubber bushing per my experience and found online.

The UCA or Tension Strut is seems to have a rubber bushing per my experience and found online.

Again, you'd be amazing on how my car transformed without additional NVH with full spherical SPL Arms. Also, with these arms, I had a wide adjustable range. I think the net is that upgrading your bushings is better than stock, ultimately it's your choice. I personally have never tried these Bimmerworld ones but it is sealed like Dinan and will do the same thing. Plenty of options out there.

Also, I agree with you on the Poly parts.
      05-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I just ordered the Bimmerworld bushings. Will report back after a few Auto X and track days...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 05-15-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      05-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #16
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I went with the Turner thrust arm monoball, which they offer preinstalled in an OEM thrust arm.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...nstalled-arms/

Their monoball uses an OEM ball joint, which is sealed, so should remain quiet. I have a few thousand street miles, but only two track days on them ( pacific raceways) since replacing over the winter. I changed to coilovers and rear toe links at the same time.

There’s a bit more road noise overall, but probably less than the increase from adding camber plates on stock suspension. Not sure where to attribute the added noise with all the changes.

On track, turn in feels much more immediate, but again, hard for me to say whether that’s the monoballs. High speed braking feels much more confident. The car used to move around quite a bit when dropping anchor at the end of a long straight into a mid or low speed turn (13x mph -> 6x mph), which was the main reason I installed them.

The monoball being preinstalled in an arm was nice for DIY. Made for a quick swap while doing the coilovers.

I’m hoping to be back on track (the ridge) this Sunday. There’s one turn at this track with a cambered braking zone, and the camber plus braking used to try to pull the wheel out of my hands. I’m interested to see what affect the monoballs have here. Hopefully we get some dry time.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
I went with the Turner thrust arm monoball, which they offer preinstalled in an OEM thrust arm.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...nstalled-arms/

Their monoball uses an OEM ball joint, which is sealed, so should remain quiet. I have a few thousand street miles, but only two track days on them ( pacific raceways) since replacing over the winter. I changed to coilovers and rear toe links at the same time.

There’s a bit more road noise overall, but probably less than the increase from adding camber plates on stock suspension. Not sure where to attribute the added noise with all the changes.

On track, turn in feels much more immediate, but again, hard for me to say whether that’s the monoballs. High speed braking feels much more confident. The car used to move around quite a bit when dropping anchor at the end of a long straight into a mid or low speed turn (13x mph -> 6x mph), which was the main reason I installed them.

The monoball being preinstalled in an arm was nice for DIY. Made for a quick swap while doing the coilovers.

I’m hoping to be back on track (the ridge) this Sunday. There’s one turn at this track with a cambered braking zone, and the camber plus braking used to try to pull the wheel out of my hands. I’m interested to see what affect the monoballs have here. Hopefully we get some dry time.
Thanks for the info!
      05-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #18
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
I have not seen this or read that OEM bushings are mono ball from factory at least in the same sense as the other upgrades out there.

The LCA or Wishbone seems to have a rubber bushing per my experience and found online.
Visually, the LCA bushes don't have sufficient annulus for solid rubber

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...necontrol-arm/

Extract from above TMS link

"Product Details
This is the left front lower control arm (also called a wishbone by BMW) for the F80 M3, F82 M4, and F83 M4. This can also be used as an upgrade on the F22 2-series and F3X 3/4-series. The M3/M4 control arm features a sealed inner and outer ball joints that are superior to elastometer rubber. The ball joints on the M3/M4 wishbone give a more precise feel and allow the control arm to move freely without resistance and with minimal deflection."

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #19
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:

"Product Details
This is the left front lower control arm (also called a wishbone by BMW) for the F80 M3, F82 M4, and F83 M4. This can also be used as an upgrade on the F22 2-series and F3X 3/4-series. The M3/M4 control arm features a sealed inner and outer ball joints that are superior to elastometer rubber. The ball joints on the M3/M4 wishbone give a more precise feel and allow the control arm to move freely without resistance and with minimal deflection."
Ah, I see your point now. Understood. My reason for replacement is the pure ability to have additional more range of adjustments. Regardless, it worked well for me before so I'm going to replicate for this build.
      05-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #20
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Looking at RealOEM, there don't appear to be any rubber bushes between the rear subframe and the body shell on the M2 - unlike the E9x. As such, that you didn't have any NVH issues with the latter when running something other than rubber bushed suspension links is not totally surprising.

Let us know how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #21
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
Quote:

"Product Details
Ah, I see your point now. Understood. My reason for replacement is the pure ability to have additional more range of adjustments. Regardless, it worked well for me before so I'm going to replicate for this build.
Good to know you were happy with SPL adjustable LCAs - did you also have SPL adjustable Tension struts too ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #22
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know you were happy with SPL adjustable LCAs - did you also have SPL adjustable Tension struts too ?
Yes I did. I had the full SPL arm conversion front and rear. Really did transform the car IMO.