Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
YUP Elise works, so does my 2017 Miata RF.

The Elise's tub is tough to get into and out of but you wear it like a glove. I've driven and instructed in several of them including a SC and turbo...

So its the complete opposite. Its a track car that can be used on the street, but
Its got lots of issues as a dual use car...

I always found it special it competed against C6 Vettes is the SS Class for Solo 2. A nimble kart it is!
Agreed. If you can get in and out of the car easily, meaning you're not tall and overweight, then they really are something special to drive.

I look at track cars like I look at money; someone's always going to be richer or faster than you, but if you enjoy what you have, then you're good.

I have more fun in my Exige at 60 mph than most have in their XYZ at twice that speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #68
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Name a new 4 seater with equivalent performance which is lighter...
Oh it's not about that at all, compare dicks with someone else. I'm talking as a general rule. The car is way too posh to be a serious track car in stock form. It's an upscale yuppie car made to feel fast, not be fast without serious work.
You can't name any because there aren't any.

M products are dual purpose cars. Every thread I see you complaining that it isn't the lightest, fastest, cheapest, you name it. Go troll the Lotus forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #69
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
I have more fun in my Exige at 60 mph than most have in their XYZ at twice that speed.
I often reckon sometimes I had more fun in the MX5/Miata. Speed limit is so easy to break in the M2..

BUT, the M2 is so much more versatile, yes there are comprmises but I don't think there is a car for sale right now that does so many things so well. And price of admission isnt too bad.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #70
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
You can't name any because there aren't any.

M products are dual purpose cars. Every thread I see you complaining that it isn't the lightest, fastest, cheapest, you name it. Go troll the Lotus forums.
They're all the same; posh pigs. They work great if you're looking for a posh pig tho'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I often reckon sometimes I had more fun in the MX5/Miata. Speed limit is so easy to break in the M2..

BUT, the M2 is so much more versatile, yes there are comprmises but I don't think there is a car for sale right now that does so many things so well. And price of admission isnt too bad.
Both my Miata's were more fun than the Exige, no question. They just weren't as serious, and their movement wasn't always silently whispering it was going to kill you when you got to that next corner and tried to push it just 1 more mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #71
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post

Exactly, I have owned dedicated track cars, HPDE cars , raced cheap endurance cars, driven autocross, drifted and been on a dozen road courses and super speedways....so there is a shoe for every foot. As for my OG M2, it is a fantastic all around car that drives great on the street and raises hell on track...it also drifts like a Hoonigan. For under 60k it chases ( and catches)Porsches and supercars. I think we have all become a little jaded since cars seem to have gotten so much better and faster in the last 10 years. A current M2 could have won a Ferrari 360/430 challenge race five years ago ( please don’t fly spec the details here). The fact that a grocery getter can do 150 mph and 1:38 at Road Atlanta with an average driver is certainly proof of concept. We are lucky to have this and so many other great options, plus the ability to choose.
Appreciate 4
PLF693762.50
Moflow2484.50
koastal375.50
      05-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #72
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
And you can see it in the weight. I mean, what a pig. Not a track car at all, just a fun daily/HPDE car.
I guess, even as it is most owners don't have the skills to exceed the limits of the car at a HPDE...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #73
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I guess, even as it is most owners don't have the skills to exceed the limits of the car at a HPDE...
But just imagine it at 2900 lbs, how it would move...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #74
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
But have you tracked it in triple digit weather? That's when the cooling issues present themselves.
If it's stock cooling isn't an issue, except for the brakes, and of course you will heat soak the intercooler a fair bit - but not too bad overall.

If you mod it even a little bit then you'll definitely see issues.
      05-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #75
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
If it's stock cooling isn't an issue, except for the brakes, and of course you will heat soak the intercooler a fair bit - but not too bad overall.

If you mod it even a little bit then you'll definitely see issues.
Out here at Thunderhill, we frequently track in 90-110 degree (F) weather and even stock it will pull timing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #76
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Out here at Thunderhill, we frequently track in 90-110 degree (F) weather and even stock it will pull timing.
Yeah I agree, the stock intercooler is insufficient, I should have been more clear when I meant heat soak the intercooler and specified that above (iirc) ~42ºC IAT timing will begin to be pulled. So even with an upgraded intercooler you probably will see some timing pull. You could probably run a high octane fuel and a tune to make the car not pull timing despite higher iats.

Oil temps and water temps from what I have seen are ok.
kpaso183.00
      06-05-2020, 11:53 PM   #77
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Personally, not worth the money for 1-2 seconds to upgrade, just hold out for the g87 to see if that price will be worth it. A simple suspension upgrade to coils will already make up for the difference from a stock m2c.

On a different note, unless you're running close to the fastest times at your local track among M2 owners, there's likely a few more things you can squeeze out of the car before any mods/upgrades (I have 2 more seconds to chase on my side lol).
Appreciate 1
koastal375.50
      06-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #78
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Any decent aftermarket FMIC solves those cooling issues.

Those ducts make a huge difference. You've added a brake cooling solution that the car did not come with. Without them, the brakes on the OG M2 will overheat quickly at heavy braking tracks.
Which brake cooling solution did you ad?
      07-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #79
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
Personally, not worth the money for 1-2 seconds to upgrade, just hold out for the g87 to see if that price will be worth it. A simple suspension upgrade to coils will already make up for the difference from a stock m2c.

On a different note, unless you're running close to the fastest times at your local track among M2 owners, there's likely a few more things you can squeeze out of the car before any mods/upgrades (I have 2 more seconds to chase on my side lol).
Thanks went with your advice and keeping the OG
I have ordered some Ohlins and camber plates. Engine is being kept std but will probably order a different intercooler in the near future.
A few M2C,s are at trackdays now, but they arent breaking any records yet (excepting the heavilymodified one in the OP)

Thanks for everyones input
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #80
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Now that the M2C has been out for a while, does anyone have any real world experience on the track. Is the M2C much quicker when driven by mortals ?

I am particularly interested in std M2 v M2C

I track with a guy that has a "quite' modified M2C but he is an experienced driver the car. He is as fast as the GT3RS guy so not a good comparison.

Folk that track and have gone from a OG to a C would prob know best, have your times lowered if so by how much ?

Reason I ask is I am considering upgrading but am wondering if worth it. I dont plan or want to modify the engine.

Video is the modded M2C
Tracked the car this weekend for the first time and it was awesome. It was actually my first time tracking and it was a two day event. I would say the M2 Comp is an amazing track car because you can stay in 2nd and it has a lot of low end torque also my times were closer to experienced drivers who driving track cars with significantly less power. A lot of guys had to shift into third, which I'm sure helped me get closer to their times. My first run was a 95 and my final run was a 64 with a few DNFs in between. Hit my first cone too! Haha.

All in all I'm sure a really experienced driver could shave 7/8 seconds off of my best time.

There's going to be an event at New Jersey Motorsport Park if you're interested check out the south jersey region of the scca.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1