BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Monoball Bushings on the M2C

05-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #45
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
stainless steel
Are you familiar with the term "electrolytic corrosion"?

If it never sees winter road salt, or there are passivating washers fitted between the bushing and the (aluminium) subframe, you have nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #46
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
stainless steel
Are you familiar with the term "electrolytic corrosion"?

If it never sees winter road salt, or there are passivating washers fitted between the bushing and the (aluminium) subframe, you have nothing to worry about.
There are washers 😉
      05-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #47
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Does anyone have any thoughts on these tension arm bushings from Rogue Engineering?

https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...F8X_p_101.html

I was wondering if they might be a little more street friendly alternative to a monoball arrangement
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #48
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on these tension arm bushings from Rogue Engineering?

https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...F8X_p_101.html

I was wondering if they might be a little more street friendly alternative to a monoball arrangement
RE link you posted is essentially solid metal bush with poly (AFAIK) inserts and I'd say these are serviceable/sacrificial.

These from RE are more matched to OEM mballs bmw fit in LCA and sealed for longevity ie more fit n forget solution.

https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...X-Z4_p_96.html

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #49
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
RE link you posted is essentially solid metal bush with poly (AFAIK) inserts and I'd say these are serviceable/sacrificial.

These from RE are more matched to OEM mballs bmw fit in LCA and sealed for longevity ie more fit n forget solution.

Thanks for the input Bee Pee

My next 2 mods for the track are going to be front tension arm bushings (or monoballs) and camber plates

A lot of people that install monoballs in the front tension arms claim no added NVH whatsoever while others do notice an increase in NVH

The same is true of camber plates

In any case, I'm hoping to keep any additional NVH to an absolute minimum

That is why I'm considering some of the bushing instead of bearing alternatives such as the Rogue Engineering front tension arm bushings I mentioned above as well as the Millway street camber plates

https://www.millway.se/camber-plates...mw-m2c-m4.html
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1774.00
      05-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #50
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My next 2 mods for the track are going to be front tension arm bushings (or monoballs) and camber plates

A lot of people that install monoballs in the front tension arms claim no added NVH whatsoever while others do notice an increase in NVH

That is why I'm considering some of the bushing instead of bearing alternatives such as the Rogue Engineering front tension arm bushings I mentioned above as well as the Millway street camber plates

Sub'd for any feedback once you've fitted TS bushes and CP's✅

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #51
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I have the Turner Monoball Thrust Arm Bearing Set on order and will report back in a week or so once they get installed.

Can someone explain the difference between Tuner monoballs:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/

and Millway monoballs:
https://www.millway.se/front-control...4-f82-f83.html

Last edited by McLaren720s; 05-22-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #52
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I have the Turner Monoball Thrust Arm Bearing Set on order and will report back in a week or so once they get installed.

Can someone explain the difference between Tuner monoballs:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/

and Millway monoballs:
The Millway monoballs in your link are not sealed

However, they do offer a sealed version

Turner supposedly uses an OEM BMW ball joint whereas I have no idea what Millway uses

The Turner uses a locking ring while the Millway uses a machined cap and hardware as additional security measures

Beyond that I can't really comment
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #53
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sub'd for any feedback once you've fitted TS bushes and CP's✅
Ordered

Rogue Engineering Front Tension Arm Bushings with Black (Street) Durometer "Urethane-Silicone" Bushings Preinstalled in OE Arms (Tension Struts)

Millway Street Camber Plates with Polyurethane Bushings

Appreciate 1
LBBFTW9.00
      05-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #54
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:

there are 2 version of those. street and track. i recommend you get the street. first of all the monoball are sealed. so no dust on the long therm also the camber plates have busgin instead of a bearing. the bearing will support all the strees once driving resulting in a failure. the bushing has elastomer inside and so it will be absorbing stress. alothough the monoball are the same, the plates are not as precise as the bearing due to the eleastomer. it's a minor thing, but when racing everything counts
      06-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #55
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

I just had the Turner tension strut monoball bushings installed and, while I haven't been able to drive the car hard yet due to traffic, it seems like a nice improvement over factory rubber bushings. Steering seems more "confident", direct, more responsive, a bit more communicative over certain types of pavement and a lot of the 12 o'clock dead spot seems to be reduced.

Looking forward to the next track day with these installed!
      06-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #56
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Has anyone installed/upgraded the front bushings on the M2 to the Monoball spherical design?

They are supposed to really improve steering response, turn-in and feel.

Example:
https://ind-distribution.com/product...conversion-kit
I had the Dinan mono ball on my M4 and can honestly say I noticed no difference in handling or feel, but there were annoying clicking sounds when backing out of my driveway, after about six months. Probably a great track modification, but personally I can't say because I don't track the car. Most of the modifications seem to really shine when you're at 9/10ths. Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #57
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
I had the Dinan mono ball on my M4 and can honestly say I noticed no difference in handling or feel, but there were annoying clicking sounds when backing out of my driveway, after about six months. Probably a great track modification, but personally I can't say because I don't track the car. Most of the modifications seem to really shine when you're at 9/10ths. Good luck...
Well I just had the Turner monoballs installs and I think they make a fantastic difference with zero NVH so far.
      06-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #58
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Help needed: I can't get the ball joint of the Thrust Arm/Tension Strut out of the wheel hub in order to upgrade the monoball. Any tips from someone who has done it? The ball joint removal tool doesn't fit well in there. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:26 PM   #59
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Help needed: I can't get the ball joint of the Thrust Arm/Tension Strut out of the wheel hub in order to upgrade the monoball. Any tips from someone who has done it? The ball joint removal tool doesn't fit well in there. TIA.
It isn’t a press fit like most ball joints. I don’t recall any extraordinary offers to separate it from the hub. At most we put the nut back on and rapped on it a couple times with a hammer. We were unsure about doing the monoballs in the garage, so if we encountered any trouble, we would’ve skipped it and just focused on the coilovers, which was the primary job I recruited my friend to lend a hand with.

I have a pair of loose torque arms if pictures help. Just let me know and I’ll take a couple.
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      06-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #60
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
In case anyone else has this problem, PB Blaster worked great for ~24 hours. It came out without using the ball joint remover - just a big hammer. I did end up bending the ball joint yesterday thanks to the bad angle on the ball joint removal tool and I tore the swaybar end link boot, so I have some additional parts to buy now.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:01 AM   #61
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Fuck me never seen anyone bend that before on any car. Well done 👍

Jokes aside least you got it out. Maybe buy the turner ones pre-fitted since you need to buy a replacement arm anyway.
      06-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #62
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
So, I did end up buying a new arm and installing the Turner Motorsports Monoball in the new arm. Here's an installation video in case anyone is contemplating doing the same:

Cost comparison:

Harbor Freight 12-ton Press (yours to keep!): $140
Front Wheel Bearing Press Kit (yours to keep!): $75
Monoball bearings: $330
TOTAL: $545

Preinstalled version: $598
Appreciate 3
      06-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #63
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Bimmerworld TS/UCA m'ball on track today. Felt good and no doubt will feel even more benefit once I upgrade to front BBK

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      07-21-2020, 12:18 AM   #64
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Installed the Turner Monoball Thrust Arm Bearings about two weeks ago, and I think it was worthwhile. Just calmly puttering around on the street, there is a small but noticeable increase in the crispness of steering turn-in and braking. There is also a small but noticeable increase in the amount of vibration coming through the steering wheel, but to me this is better road feel. It's never annoying - not even over really rough roads. Sometimes I'll get in and drive and forget about the mod until the first turn. (People complain about the electric power steering removing feel - but I think it's all the rubber in the front suspension.)

If you flick the wheel over hard at moderate speeds like you do in an autocross, the car simply points right there and goes. The stock rubber bushings compress and rebound just a little, so there's a tiny fraction of a second of recovery. That goes away with the Turner monoballs.

I also did a track day at Laguna Seca on Friday 7/17, and there was a much bigger improvement in the car's overall feel. As you'd expect, because the turning and braking g-forces were much higher than in casual street driving. For example, under v-max braking into turn 2, the front end was more solid and less squirmy, with better precision on turn-in. (But the rear fishtailed a little on brake application AND release. I was on old thin Hawk DTC-60 pads in Sport+. WTF.) New personal best by 0.8 seconds with no other mods and being really rusty.

So yes, I'm happy. Perfect tradeoff of improved response and road feel for only the tiniest increase in NVH. No extra N or H. Just a tiny bit more vibration.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #65
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

For those that did the install yourself, were you able to remove the thrust arm bolt and nut by just removing the underbody plastic shield just forward of the front arches?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #66
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
For those that did the install yourself, were you able to remove the thrust arm bolt and nut by just removing the underbody plastic shield just forward of the front arches?

Thanks!
I also pulled the fender liners since I was doing coilovers and end links at the same time. If you find they’re in the way, it wasn’t too much additional work to pull the liners. Access wasn’t bad with both removed.
Appreciate 0