BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition Individual Paint for $24k (San Marino Blue)

05-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #133
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I have to admit, the color looks pretty sweet on the M2 but I'm not sure it's worth 24k, for the effort..

The most expensive paint job on a Rolls Royce is $10,000 and thats relative to its 1/2 million price tag.

Probably like some people say, it was enabled as an option for that one eccentric person that has money to burn and has a thing for the M2 in blue.

Better question is, can we have this option on the upcoming M2 CS also. That would make a lot more sense, since in its Limited Production status is a vehicle that would appeal to a lot more folks who can afford to splurge on this option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #134
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I have to admit, the color looks pretty sweet on the M2 but I'm not sure it's worth 24k, for the effort..

The most expensive paint job on a Rolls Royce is $10,000 and thats relative to its 1/2 million price tag.

Probably like some people say, it was enabled as an option for that one eccentric person that has money to burn and has a thing for the M2 in blue.

Better question is, can we have this option on the upcoming M2 CS also. That would make a lot more sense, since in its Limited Production status is a vehicle that would appeal to a lot more folks who can afford to splurge on this option.
Rolls Royce? Don't get me started on Lambo and Ferrari special colors. Those can go for $50-75k
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #135
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:

Rolls Royce? Don't get me started on Lambo and Ferrari special colors. Those can go for $50-75k
I don't care how rich you are, you have to have a serious brain deficiency to spend that much on paint; something that slowly oxidizes with natural sunlight.

To each is own, I guess..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #136
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

The only thing crazy or unreasonable here is that after spending that much for Individual paint, they chose SMB as the color. How unoriginal and boring!
      05-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #137
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

This car was ordered by one of the Disney family children. At least 2 LA area dealers declined the order because all deposits in California are refundable and they didn't want to get stuck with this car. One dealer out there obviously took a chance.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #138
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Get over it bro, Kendrick Lamar said it best... be humble sit down
      05-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #139
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
I don't care how rich you are, you have to have a serious brain deficiency to spend that much on paint; something that slowly oxidizes with natural sunlight.
To each is own, I guess..
Some would consider spending more than 10% of ones gross income on an oxidizing chunk of metal & plastic, mental illness.
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
cptobvious2531.50
      05-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #140
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Seriously? You are completely brain dead if you think 10k is the most expensive paint option on a Rolls.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #141
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Quote:
Seriously? You are completely brain dead if you think 10k is the most expensive paint option on a Rolls.
Last time I checked, it was.

So tell me internet genius, since you spent 20 seconds checking, why don't shock us with the price and tell us why it's relevant to this discussion?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #142
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Funniest thing about this thread is that it seems to miss the most important point. A $12k PTS on a $200k car is a 6% upgrade. Expensive yes, but it individualizes a special car. A $24k paint job on a $60k is an option worth 40% of the car's value. That's just stupid. It's like putting a $4k Xpel wrap on a $10k used Toyota. A $24k paint job on a $200k turbo S would be frivolous, on an M2 it's just ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #143
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
If Mr. Fux was actually worth $500MM, he sure as shit would not be buying an M2, of all cars, and that is for damn sure.
What would he be buying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Yea, that's nice but this is the internet where you can claim anything you what, like for instance; online, I'm handsome a billionaire who uses his vast wealth and technology in crime fighting as well to serve justice for Gotham City. But secretly at nighttime, I'm really Batman.

When you spend $25,000 on paint and you want to come back here with some proof to shut me up, then I'll believe you.

Please people, don't take to offense to what said, I was just thinking logical. My bad.
No need to spend $25k on paint. One of the main reasons I bought the car is the HS colour. So. Beautiful. From memory it was about a year ago when I was motivated enough to go to the dealer and order one. Anyway. You live your life. I'll live mine. I'm enjoying it with nothing to prove. Bye.
You guys are taking it the wrong way, like I'm trying to shit on the M2 or something, my middle-class ass has one also, that's not it.

I'm saying logically, someone of that caliber, who has that kind of money to burn wouldn't not seriously entertain the idea of an entry-level M car, that what the M4 is there for..

People who are filthy rich buy the an M2 for their snotty-nosed kids or their 22 year old mistress or something.

Not taking anything away from the vehicle but it has a niche demographic and the 1%ers is not one of them.
You claim to study people but you don't seem to observe many people with lots of money buy things at various price tiers for one reason or another.

People are strange. There are guys with sick ski cabins wearing shitty old ski jackets. They could buy a nice new jacket every day of the year, but chose to keep their old crappy jacket. Maybe they like it, maybe they want to blend in, maybe they don't care.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #144
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If Mr. Fux was actually worth $500MM, he sure as shit would not be buying an M2, of all cars, and that is for damn sure.
What would he be buying?
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, that's nice but this is the internet where you can claim anything you what, like for instance; online, I'm handsome a billionaire who uses his vast wealth and technology in crime fighting as well to serve justice for Gotham City. But secretly at nighttime, I'm really Batman.

When you spend $25,000 on paint and you want to come back here with some proof to shut me up, then I'll believe you.

Please people, don't take to offense to what said, I was just thinking logical. My bad.
No need to spend $25k on paint. One of the main reasons I bought the car is the HS colour. So. Beautiful. From memory it was about a year ago when I was motivated enough to go to the dealer and order one. Anyway. You live your life. I'll live mine. I'm enjoying it with nothing to prove. Bye.
You guys are taking it the wrong way, like I'm trying to shit on the M2 or something, my middle-class ass has one also, that's not it.

I'm saying logically, someone of that caliber, who has that kind of money to burn wouldn't not seriously entertain the idea of an entry-level M car, that what the M4 is there for..

People who are filthy rich buy the an M2 for their snotty-nosed kids or their 22 year old mistress or something.

Not taking anything away from the vehicle but it has a niche demographic and the 1%ers is not one of them.
You claim to study people but you don't seem to observe many people with lots of money buy things at various price tiers for one reason or another.

People are strange. There are guys with sick ski cabins wearing shitty old ski jackets. They could buy a nice new jacket every day of the year, but chose to keep their old crappy jacket. Maybe they like it, maybe they want to blend in, maybe they don't care.
I'm not saying rich folks doesn't spend lavishly, I have basic cable TV also, I watch their reality shows.

I'm saying that an M2 doesn't have enough pizzazz to attract them. Nothing personal, I love that car to death but be honest with yourself, if you had unlimited funds, would you look in the direction of any vehicle under $100,000 - don't think so.

Like I said, its mines and your jam but to the folks who can really splurge, it's not even on their radar - maybe it might appeal to their kids.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #145
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Ridiculous!

Taking advantage of people?

This is certainly not how you build brand loyalty!
Haha that's non sense
Let me know when you drop 24k on a custom paint job 😎
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #146
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What would he be buying?
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not saying rich folks doesn't spend lavishly, I basic cable TV also, I watch their reality shows.

I'm saying that an M2 doesn't have enough pizzazz to attract them. Nothing personal, I love that car to death but be honest with yourself, if you had unlimited funds, would you look in the direction of any vehicle under $100,000 - don't think so.

Like I said, its mines and your jam but to the folks who can really splurge, it's not even on their radar - maybe it might appeal to their kids.
My wife said Mr. Sam personally used to fly his little prop plane to drop off his catch for the Walmart fishing contests. He'd land it in the back of the store on the open field. I'm sure he could have had a pilot zoom him from Bentonville in one of the Lear's, with a Limo waiting. Some people enjoy the simple things in life.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:52 PM   #147
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m981addicts View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What would he be buying?
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not saying rich folks doesn't spend lavishly, I basic cable TV also, I watch their reality shows.

My wife said Mr. Sam personally used to fly in his little prop plane to drop off his catch for the Walmart fishing contests. He'd land it in the back of the store on the open field. I'm sure he could have had a pilot zoom him from Bentonville in one of the Lear's, with a Limo waiting. Some people enjoy the simple things on life.
My cousin works as an engineer at GM and he told me the head of the company, who's bonus alone is in the millions, drives an old Saturn to work everyday, simply because he likes.

No one person's status or value is going to epitomize either of our points but let's just agree that money gives you more options, instead of settling for a vehicle that's within your pay grade, which fits most people, including myself, in our reason for gravitating towards the M2.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

Give me a raise and it's a twin-turbo, 6 speed, 911, at a bare minimum
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #148
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

If you’re a special customer Bmw will do It for you like they did a couple years ago with the AY M2 og. The paint on that car costed more than this $24k.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #149
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Quote:

Last time I checked, it was.

So tell me internet genius, since you spent 20 seconds checking, why don't shock us with the piece and tell us why it's relevant to this discussion?
Well, it's relevant because YOU brought up RR. Lol. As a one off, I know they have a diamond paint in the hundreds of thousands. I also have friends who have spent 20k for custom matte colors. But yes it is a smaller fraction of the vehicle price.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:30 AM   #150
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
I've been asking my dealer since the original car came out for an Oxford green M2. They pretty much laughed at me. Well, thanks to the M Town driving experience coming through my city a few weeks ago, I got to drive the M2 Competition for about 20 minutes on my own. It was everything I hoped it was, and I'm currently in the process of selling off my 6 other 'classic' BMWs right now, to get just one new BMW. But I am one of the suckers that has to have the color combo I want or else I won't buy the car. To me color is first, everything else is secondary.

So coincidentally, this article comes up about the $25K individual paint option for the M2 just a few weeks after my driving experience. Better than the $100K Austin Yellow custom build, but as everyone has stated here, $25K for a 2 series paint job is laughable, and is obviously a "we *really* don't want do this tax".

So before I say screw it and go buy a Bimyota Zupra (they're going to have 6 speed soon, and I'm hedging on them bringing back Deep Jewel Green too!), I have a plan which I've already proposed to my local dealer (I doubt they'll even respond to me, but what the heck).

I know there are lots of green haters out there, but I'm a huge fan, and out of the 25 BMWs I've owned in the last 10 years or so, I think 13 were green. So I'm dead set on getting a dark green BMW. Whether it's an M2 Comp, X4 M40i, or an X4M (stupid money), I want a dark green car [from the factory].

So my proposal is for BMW NA to commission a special run of 200 'Exclusive' editions of the M2 Comp in Oxford Green II (430), over Amaro Brown interior. 100 6 speeds, and 100 DCT cars, 50 cars of each transmission choice would be sun roof deletes. I don't care about carbon bits too much, but if you guys know the M2 accessories catalog well, maybe there's some other bits they could throw into the package. Open to suggestions The general idea being that they could run the 200 cars consecutively at Leipzig, and not have to transport them to a different painting facility and back.

I'd be willing to pay on the order of $5K additional for this special package, and I'd go for a 6 speed sunroof delete car myself (although the DCT is really well executed, even in heavy traffic). I think these would sell rapidly, as I know there are others out there who are bored stiff with the current color palate, who also appreciate a somewhat understated green over brown. Classy, sporty, and rare all wrapped into one.

Maybe next year, they can do another exclusive run in Dakar Yellow, or Valencia Orange, Or LSB. Scion did this with their tC models, called the 'Release Series. There were 11 special RS versions over the car's 12 year production run, with each RS version being sold only in one exclusive color.

BTW, I got the 'Exclusive' name from the BMW Motorrad division, as I just bought a 2019 F 850 GS with the Exclusive package (yes, it's green). So I'm trying to use their own marketing terms so it slots in nicely with their current themes.

So might this be a viable way to get a cool M2 Comp color combo? Should we start a petition and send it to BMW NA? Or should I just piss off and buy the Supra? (I *will* re-badge it, just for fun).

Last edited by Chamberlin; 05-30-2019 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:57 AM   #151
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post

So my proposal is for BMW NA to commission a special run of 200 'Exclusive' editions of the M2 Comp in Oxford Green II (430), over Amaro Brown interior. 100 6 speeds, and 100 DCT cars, 50 cars of each transmission choice would be sun roof deletes.
From what I understand, when the next gen M2 production moves to the plant in Mexico, they would be better prepared and equipped to offer custom paint for the M2 for a more reasonable price, pretty much on the same level as the M4 Individual program.

Blessing in disguise, I guess..

Side question; how do you know for sure the Supra is going to have a 6 speed option.

Speculation or you have actual proof?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:20 AM   #152
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
Quote:
From what I understand, when the next gen M2 production moves to the plant in Mexico, they would be better prepared and equipped to offer custom paint for the M2 for a more reasonable price, pretty much on the same level as the M4 Individual program.

Side question; how do you know for sure the Supra is going to have a 6 speed option.

Thanks for the info on the Mexico plant... I had no idea they were moving future M2 production out of Germany.

Supra 6 speed? Still speculation....But I think the internet force is too strong for Tada-san to resist. It's inevitable. That said, I'd still take that ZF 8 speed autobox in a green Zupra, over a 6 speed M2 in black, white, orange, silver or blue!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #153
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info on the Mexico plant... I had no idea they were moving future M2 production out of Germany.

Supra 6 speed? Still speculation....But I think the internet force is too strong for Tada-san to resist. It's inevitable. That said, I'd still take that ZF 8 speed autobox in a green Zupra, over a 6 speed M2 in black, white, orange, silver or blue!
Yes, a lot of folks are not happy about it because they feel it would lose some of its luster since it's not a "European" - made vehicle anymore..

I'm good either way, as long as they keep it affordable (under 60k) and manual..

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/11/12/u...for-us-market/

Speaking of the Supra, a test mule was recently spotted but obviously camouflage, hopefully that's the much coveted manual version.. One can hope..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:13 AM   #154
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Yes, a lot of folks are not happy about it because they feel it would lose some of its luster since it's not a "European" - made vehicle anymore..
I'm good either way, as long as they keep it affordable (under 60k) and manual..
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/11/12/u...for-us-market/
Speaking of the Supra, a test mule was recently spotted but obviously camouflage, hopefully that's the much coveted manual version.. One can hope..
See also this dedicated thread ("Second generation M2 (G87) scheduled for December 2022 (SOP)") reporting that the second-gen M2 will likely be built in Mexico.

As the discussion started to derail, I intervened in that thread (see here).