BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > As I wait for my M2C... tell me 2 great things and 2 bad things about your M2C

05-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #89
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
How can it be the best new M car since the E46 M3 if it weighs more than an M4 lol?

You cant fit 285's up front like on the F80/82.
Not sure why you are spreading misinformation. Per BMW, the m2c is 3600 lbs and the m4 is 3625 lbs. While not super light, I can't think of any other 400+ hp cars with a useable back seat and a manual that are lighter (at any price point!). Plus, there are a lot of parts available to make the m2c even lighter if that's your jam, whereas the m4 has less opportunity for further weight savings.
While you are technically right that the M2C is 20-30 lbs lighter depending on manual or DCT, the M3 is lighter than the M2C, and since people lump the two together, it explains why people think the M4 is lighter. But that 25lbs doesn't mean much, especially when there is more power in the M4. Hell, 25lb difference is nil after I eat Mexican food for dinner.

Either way, they are only like 100-150lbs heavier than the e46, which is also marginal, so I can see how it's the best M car since the e46, which I think you agree with me on.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
Karazy49.50
      05-26-2019, 01:33 AM   #90
Henry1518
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Spyder, M2C

Another minor annoyance - you have to pull the interior door handle twice before the door opens.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:20 AM   #91
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Best
- Manual gear box
- Mperf breaks

Missing
- no optional Mperf suspensions
- Unpaint and ugly exhaust system
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      05-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #92
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
It's a placebo effect, the M2 shares basically the same chassis as the F80/82!

The numbers show the F80/82being the better performer, Feels amazing is subjective!
It is silly to think numbers make the sports car!!!

Practical Motoring AU

"All the while the M2 Competition is telling you what it’s up to, and reacting to your inputs ultra-faithfully. It’s an utter gem. For comparison, within a couple of hours of driving the M2 Competition on the road I took an M4 CS, a stripped out but still roadgoing M4, down the same route. The more expensive car felt unpredictable at the back end and short of feel at the front, so I drove it more slowly."

Very high praise.

Quote:
Nonsense, I thought, but after opening the link I saw that the text is written by Paul Horrell.

Interesting...
From Top Gear website:

Paul Horrell:
Been around a long time. If you drive a new car, he tested its predecessor’s predecessor’s predecessor. If you work in the car industry, he knows your boss’s boss’s boss.

AutoExpress -
"The engine transplant has helped give the newcomer true M car character, while the subtle chassis tweaks have added a welcome dose of control to the BMW’s already agile handling. Not only is the M2 Competition a fast and fun driver-focused coupe, it’s arguably the pick of the whole M car line-up.

Top Gear -
"This is a brilliant car, one of the best four-seat drives you can lay your hands on. One of the best drivers’ cars full stop."

"Praise be, BMW's given us a proper M driver's car. The M2 Competition is simply outstanding."

Car Advice (AU)

“We also had pretty much the full spread of recent M-Cars to go and play with, yet I can report without fear of contradiction that the Competition was the pick of the bunch, taking everything in its stride – carrying huge speed when asked to do so, but also finding better traction on the dusty surfaces than the old M2 would have.”

Goodwood Motorsport

“It might be understated in looks, but dynamically this extraordinary coupé is one of the most entertaining cars on sale, anywhere... ...So the M2 Competition is likely to remain the best sports coupé you've never heard of; buy it now before they're all gone... ”

AutoCar

Should I buy one?

“That limit playfulness – the rear differential’s willingness to lock, let you ride out a slide on neutral steer or with everything crossed up – remains the M2’s ultimate party trick. But this time it has more dimensions than that. It has more keenness, incisiveness and engagement all the time. It's a sports car, not a muscly coupé.

When Porsche moved to a four-cylinder engine, I wondered if its rivals would sense a weakness, an opportunity. BMW is the first to really take it. I give you one of the best driver’s cars of the year.”

I could go on and on... but I’m tired now.

These opinions carry so much more weight!
Appreciate 1
Karazy49.50
      05-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #93
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
It is silly to think numbers make the sports car!!!

Practical Motoring AU

"All the while the M2 Competition is telling you what it’s up to, and reacting to your inputs ultra-faithfully. It’s an utter gem. For comparison, within a couple of hours of driving the M2 Competition on the road I took an M4 CS, a stripped out but still roadgoing M4, down the same route. The more expensive car felt unpredictable at the back end and short of feel at the front, so I drove it more slowly."

Very high praise.

Quote:
Nonsense, I thought, but after opening the link I saw that the text is written by Paul Horrell.

Interesting...
From Top Gear website:

Paul Horrell:
Been around a long time. If you drive a new car, he tested its predecessor’s predecessor’s predecessor. If you work in the car industry, he knows your boss’s boss’s boss.

AutoExpress -
"The engine transplant has helped give the newcomer true M car character, while the subtle chassis tweaks have added a welcome dose of control to the BMW’s already agile handling. Not only is the M2 Competition a fast and fun driver-focused coupe, it’s arguably the pick of the whole M car line-up.

Top Gear -
"This is a brilliant car, one of the best four-seat drives you can lay your hands on. One of the best drivers’ cars full stop."

"Praise be, BMW's given us a proper M driver's car. The M2 Competition is simply outstanding."

Car Advice (AU)

“We also had pretty much the full spread of recent M-Cars to go and play with, yet I can report without fear of contradiction that the Competition was the pick of the bunch, taking everything in its stride – carrying huge speed when asked to do so, but also finding better traction on the dusty surfaces than the old M2 would have.”

Goodwood Motorsport

“It might be understated in looks, but dynamically this extraordinary coupé is one of the most entertaining cars on sale, anywhere... ...So the M2 Competition is likely to remain the best sports coupé you've never heard of; buy it now before they're all gone... ”

AutoCar

Should I buy one?

“That limit playfulness – the rear differential’s willingness to lock, let you ride out a slide on neutral steer or with everything crossed up – remains the M2’s ultimate party trick. But this time it has more dimensions than that. It has more keenness, incisiveness and engagement all the time. It's a sports car, not a muscly coupé.

When Porsche moved to a four-cylinder engine, I wondered if its rivals would sense a weakness, an opportunity. BMW is the first to really take it. I give you one of the best driver’s cars of the year.”

I could go on and on... but I’m tired now.

These opinions carry so much more weight!
dont feed the troll man..

i come from 3 years of owning an F80 M3, and aside from straight line performance by smallest of margins (expected, with the "detuned" S55 on the M2C which can easily be fixed with a flash), the M2C not only "feels" faster but is faster in the track.

the PBIR course i've already bested my top time by almost 1sec, compared to my M3.... and that's on my 1st track day only without getting super acquianted with this car

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
Karazy49.50
pz6193277.00
      05-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #94
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

One month old, just now scheduled the break-in service.
I haven't driven it real hard yet but 7/10s on mountain twisties so far has been great.

Pros:
Tight handling
Great torque curve

Cons:
Very firm suspension for daily driver (depends on road condition)
No HUD
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      05-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #95
fastMonBBS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2C

Pros:
- it's like an E46 M3 but with loads of torque
- everything

Cons
- i have to give it back because of the recall and won't get it back until it's fixed
- that giantic muffler being visible
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      05-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #96
Defiant2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Hockenheim M2C

Garage List
Give back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastMonBBS View Post
Pros:
- everything

Cons
- i have to give it back because of the recall and won't get it back until it's fixed

Why do you have to give it back? I don't understand. Mine is pending the recall, I went in for the 1200 mile service last week and they said, "We'll call you when we have a part. Have fun!"

Is the dealer telling you this or what am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #97
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant2 View Post
Quote:
Pros:
- everything

Cons

Why do you have to give it back? I don't understand. Mine is pending the recall, I went in for the 1200 mile service last week and they said, "We'll call you when we have a part. Have fun!"

He explained it earlier. But his dealer didn't realize there was a stop sale and let him drive off (when you drive off your dealers lot 99% of the time your paperwork hasn't gotten through yet and will in a couple days). I bet if anything when they went to push the paperwork through they couldn't because of the stop sale. When there is a stop sale recall, a car cannot be sold, BMW won't allow it, so the paperwork wouldn't be accepted and thus they don't have the authority to legally register/finance the car. In that case the ownership still belongs to the dealer and not the purchaser. They are hounding him to return because technically he doesn't "own" the car yet, the dealer does and from a legal grey perspective, he should bring it back.

Now if he bought it before the stop sale, got the title, financing, and paperwork approved my BMW NA there would be no issue. It's a normal recall.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
Defiant2282.50
      05-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #98
fastMonBBS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout13 View Post
he explained it earlier. But his dealer didn't realize there was a stop sale and let him drive off (when you drive off your dealers lot 99% of the time your paperwork hasn't gotten through yet and will in a couple days). I bet if anything when they went to push the paperwork through they couldn't because of the stop sale. When there is a stop sale recall, a car cannot be sold, bmw won't allow it, so the paperwork wouldn't be accepted and thus they don't have the authority to legally register/finance the car. In that case the ownership still belongs to the dealer and not the purchaser. They are hounding him to return because technically he doesn't "own" the car yet, the dealer does and from a legal grey perspective, he should bring it back.

Now if he bought it before the stop sale, got the title, financing, and paperwork approved my bmw na there would be no issue. It's a normal recall.
👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #99
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Pros:
- everything

Cons

He explained it earlier. But his dealer didn't realize there was a stop sale and let him drive off (when you drive off your dealers lot 99% of the time your paperwork hasn't gotten through yet and will in a couple days). I bet if anything when they went to push the paperwork through they couldn't because of the stop sale. When there is a stop sale recall, a car cannot be sold, BMW won't allow it, so the paperwork wouldn't be accepted and thus they don't have the authority to legally register/finance the car. In that case the ownership still belongs to the dealer and not the purchaser. They are hounding him to return because technically he doesn't "own" the car yet, the dealer does and from a legal grey perspective, he should bring it back.

Now if he bought it before the stop sale, got the title, financing, and paperwork approved my BMW NA there would be no issue. It's a normal recall.
That's kind of scary; one would assume there are people there who's job it is to clear vehicles for sale, what if it was something more detrimental to the vehicle's safety - but I guess it must of slipped through the cracks.. :

I've realized that dealers doesn't necessarily have the most efficient bunch; I taught my BMW Genius about my vehicle and introduced him to all the features in my new vehicle. He was happy to learn about BMWs and didn't mine he sharing but it was kind of alarming of his ignorance.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      05-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #100
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pros:
- everything

Cons

That's kind of scary; one would assume there are people there who's job it is to clear vehicles for sale, what if it was something more detrimental to the vehicle's safety - but I guess it must of slipped through the cracks.. :

I've realized that dealers doesn't necessarily have the most efficient bunch; I taught my BMW Genius about my vehicle and introduced him to all the features in my new vehicle. He was happy to learn about BMWs and didn't mine he sharing but it was kind of alarming of his ignorance.
Dealers are usually pretty good about this, but once and a while when it's 9pm, the dealers been closed for an hour, and the sales man, finance guy, and manager are wanting to go home, they just say fuck it we will push it through in the morning and don't check the system for that VIN, because the likelihood of to sale hitting that same day are so rare.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #101
fastMonBBS
Private
Rep

First time i heard of the recall was late saturday night on may 4th. My dealer apparently didn't get the recall memo until tuesday
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #102
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Pros:
Best "driver's/enthusiast's car" that I've ever owned.
Never get tired of how great it looks.

Cons:
The exhaust sounds like a weed-wacker until the valves are open.
The stupid odometer keeps recording the miles I put on and I wish I could keep it low forever.
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
GoHerd87.50
      05-31-2019, 07:31 AM   #103
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Dealers are usually pretty good about this, but once and a while when it's 9pm, the dealers been closed for an hour, and the sales man, finance guy, and manager are wanting to go home, they just say fuck it we will push it through in the morning and don't check the system for that VIN, because the likelihood of to sale hitting that same day are so rare.
i had to tell the salesman at the place I test drove that he could not sell me the car because of the recall.. he looked at me like I had two heads, goes and talks to his manager and lo, he cannot sell the car but can take an order/deposit/commitment on it.. he was pushing hard for the sale before I told him about the recall..

ended up ordering locally now I wait, so I watch this thread because it's been good thanks OP
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 2
Thescout134944.00
natmad667.00
      06-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #104
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

i come from 3 years of owning an F80 M3, and aside from straight line performance by smallest of margins (expected, with the "detuned" S55 on the M2C which can easily be fixed with a flash), the M2C not only "feels" faster but is faster in the track.

the PBIR course i've already bested my top time by almost 1sec, compared to my M3.... and that's on my 1st track day only without getting super acquianted with this car

It's funny how BMW can offer basically the same car and the car journos and some people think it's the best M car since the E46 M3. It sounds the same, weighs the same, same suspension and Chassis.

The M2C is basically an F8X i hate to say it...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      06-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #105
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:

Did you run PBIR with Hooked on Driving or was it a different event? I'm local and looking to get out there!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #106
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Why does the smaller M2C weigh more than the M4?

I lived with one of the first F80 M3’s in the UK for 3 years and 35k miles.
First impressions of the M2C, considering I’ve not yet had the running in service done so can’t give it the full beans, is that the M3 I had is quite inferior to the M2, particularly in road manners, traction and confidence on our typical British rural roads.

As someone who has recently had 2 Exige V6’s and an Alfa 4C, whilst the M will never match those for outright fun, I’ve a feeling it’s going to be a bloody good car!

Pros: So far, it’s getting under my skin

Cons: That damn exhaust... (Milltek, here I come...)
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #107
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange View Post
Why does the smaller M2C weigh more than the M4?

I lived with one of the first F80 M3’s in the UK for 3 years and 35k miles.
First impressions of the M2C, considering I’ve not yet had the running in service done so can’t give it the full beans, is that the M3 I had is quite inferior to the M2, particularly in road manners, traction and confidence on our typical British rural roads.

As someone who has recently had 2 Exige V6’s and an Alfa 4C, whilst the M will never match those for outright fun, I’ve a feeling it’s going to be a bloody good car!

Pros: So far, it’s getting under my skin

Cons: That damn exhaust... (Milltek, here I come...)
Watch the inferior car destroy the M2C around the track.
The M2C is not a bad car, it's basically an F8X.
Same suspension, same geometry, it has a slightly shorter wheelbase but the F8X has a wider track!

I can fit 285's on my M4 in the front , not the case with the M2C

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #108
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's funny how BMW can offer basically the same car and the car journos and some people think it's the best M car since the E46 M3. It sounds the same, weighs the same, same suspension and Chassis.

The M2C is basically an F8X i hate to say it...
I think you forget how much a shorter wheelbase and a tighter cockpit feel makes a difference in the driving experience.

You also forgot engine mapping, torque comes in at different RPMs in different gears. Lower power more suitable for the platform, and also differing suspension tuning.

They might as well be from two different planets.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #109
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you forget how much a shorter wheelbase and a tighter cockpit feel makes a difference in the driving experience.

You also forgot engine mapping, torque comes in at different RPMs in different gears. Lower power more suitable for the platform, and also differing suspension tuning.

The Porsche 911 GT2 RS has a much wider track the M2, A wider track lowers the CG. Also the CF roof lowers the CG.

Icm not saying the M2 is a bad car but it's not a 3,000lb M car with a high revvin naturally aspirated engine with instant throttle response, now that'll be the best M car since the E46 M3.
It's just another 3,600lb porker like the F8X.

PS when i set my throttle in sport mode, the car has plenty traction, it uses a different mapping than sport Plus.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #110
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The Porsche 911 GT2 RS has a much wider track the M2, A wider track lowers the CG. Also the CF roof lowers the CG.

Icm not saying the M2 is a bad car but it's not a 3,000lb M car with a high revvin naturally aspirated engine with instant throttle response, now that'll be the best M car since the E46 M3.
It's just another 3,600lb porker like the F8X.

PS when i set my throttle in sport mode, the car has plenty traction, it uses a different mapping than sport Plus.
What? The e46 was like 3,450 lbs? It wasn't 3,000 pounds.

And why are you even mentioning Porsches?

I was responding to your comparison of the M4 to the M2 which you said were identical in your original post. They aren't.

Reading your post was an acid trip man.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00