08-12-2020, 06:26 AM   #1
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

M2 LCI as it should have been

Hi all,

End 2017, I acquired a nice M2 LCI LBB DKG. I wanted a car that would be a modern version of the E36 M3, the car of my dreams when I got my driving license When the M2 came out, I felt immediately in love with its look, and after some hesitation, I jumped the bridge and bought this LCI version. It made me very happy from day 1. Still, I could not help being a bit frustrated by some annoying flaws:
- the absence of M-mirrors. Why, BMW? It's a detail, but such a cool one from an aesthetic point of view.
- the bad suspension. Too harsh. Way too jumpy. Imprecise. So bad that driving fast on a bumpy road turned out to be pretty dangerous. In some turns, I had the feeling that the car was twisting and about to take-off. And the constant vibrations of the rear made it very uncomfortable, to the point that my wife was kind of sick.
- the 'normal' seats. They're not bad: they provide a good support and are rather confortable. But from an aesthetic point of view, they are far from engaging. They're the very same than in a 116d with the "M-sport" package.
Furthermore, I learned that the engine had a major flaw: its intercooler is the same one than a 116, way too small for a sport car, resulting in the overheating of the air feeding the turbo in hot conditions and/or when driving fast. I also learned that the engine charge pipe was pretty weak and likely to blow.

When the M2C came out, I hesitated to sell my M2 and buy the new one, as it was said to have all these flaws corrected. Indeed, it had very nice M-seats and M-mirrors + the amazing S55 engine with zero intercooler problem. Still, its suspension was the very same than the M2 (but with the carbon strut brace of the M4). Furthermore, I test drove one and I was disappointed by its sound (way fainter and less engaging than the M2 one) and by its weird front grill. So instead of quitting my beloved M2 for this new version, I decided to try to 'fix' it, by equipping it with:
- the MP suspension. It's way more precise and confortable than the original one. And the car can be lowered, which is good as it was a bit too high to my taste. I'm still not 100% happy, as the car is still way too harsh on bad roads, but at least I can drive it as fast as it should in most (safe) conditions, and my wife is no more sick in the car
- the M2C carbon+aluminium strut brace. It seems like a detail, but the car is much more composed with it. I installed it after the MP suspension, and it still made a significant change. Now I can really have well controlled trajectories when turning fast
- M2C mirrors. So nice!
- M2C seats. So so nice!
- Wagner Evo2 intercooler.
- FTP boost + charge pipe kit.

With these pretty light (but still pretty expensive) mods, the car is totally transformed. No more frustration, pure fun each time I drive it It seems 'complete' to me, as it should have been from day 1.

Of course, while waiting for the G87, I still have some possible mods in mind to make the car even more fun: M2CS coding of the DKG + steering and maybe a tune to ~430ps (MHD, DV+, HJS 300). But I'm unsure about the tune, as I don't like the idea of pushing the engine too strongly just to gain 1 or 2s on the 100-200kph.

Cheers,
Io
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Looks great, I love the OG front clip...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Looks great, I love the OG front clip...
It's an OG M2 with M2C components slapped in it. Front clip is OEM.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Very nice! Where did you get the seats?
      09-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
Nice build. I like turning wrenches and will probably make some of the same changes to my LCI, except for the seats. I fit pretty good into these. Visually bigger brakes would look great but an adjustable suspension seems more fitting. And since I bought a BMW so it would drive like one, I’m 95% sure I’ll stick with M Performance and also add the brace. Thanks for your comments on the bumpy roads improvement, have those around here too.

Mine came hooked up with M Exhaust and it booms. Not sure I’d spend the money on it, but I’m glad to have it!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:24 AM   #6
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
This is very similar to the mods I have on mine (except the seats for now) Still have to fit my suspension too.
Appreciate 0