BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition (BSM) Places Seco in Motor Magazine's Performance Car of the Year 2019

04-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

Exclamation M2 Competition (BSM) Places Seco in Motor Magazine's Performance Car of the Year 2019

Counting down the days until I get mine!

I'm really starting to wonder if I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it than the GT4. There's no doubt in my mind that the GT4 sounds better, handles better, and is more refined, BUT on a daily basis, I'm starting to really suspect that I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the M2C.

Here's why:

- Less exotic (less worried about putting mileage on the car, roadtrips!)
- More oversteer happy/much easier to control in slides (suspected)
- Not worried about parking it anywhere
- Less flashy
- More comfortable seats (although I do love the carbon buckets)
- Can drive it in the winter, on camping trips, etc.
- Can fit more than one other person for short drives

Same goes for a GT2RS. It's a much wilder car than the M2C, but where are you going to use that on a daily basis?! If you don't live in Germany (near the Autobahn and the Nurburgring), what are you really going to do with it? I guess the answer is you have many other cars, and take it to big track days a few times a year, but it has way too much power for the road. I feel like even 300hp is pushing it.

Don't get me wrong, when I finish a day at Mosport or Watkins Glen, I LOVE the GT4 – but most of the time it sits in my garage, or I'm sitting in IT in traffic, waiting patiently to accelerate to 100km/h.
'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 9
KevinM2931.00
cptobvious2531.50
Moris3.00
Ibiza3478.50
clee1982796.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      04-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

I am just as careful parking the m2 as the gt4. Have taken both on road trips and the GT4 is actually more comfortable and has less drone (but I have the sofa seats). M2 is overall more practical and has a nice amount of tech. Clutch is a lot lighter and much easier to drive in traffic. If you’re driving the m2 in winter get a real winter tire. I got the Michelin Alpines and they were absolute crap. Got stuck often.

You will have a blast in the m2c, and it will be faster!
Appreciate 2
TUNEDM360.00
termigni1080.00
      04-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
I am just as careful parking the m2 as the gt4. Have taken both on road trips and the GT4 is actually more comfortable and has less drone (but I have the sofa seats). M2 is overall more practical and has a nice amount of tech. Clutch is a lot lighter and much easier to drive in traffic. If you’re driving the m2 in winter get a real winter tire. I got the Michelin Alpines and they were absolute crap. Got stuck often.

You will have a blast in the m2c, and it will be faster!
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll definitely make sure I get some solid winter tires.

What about the GT4 is more comfortable? I'm assuming by "sofa seats" you're referring to the GT4, and that you have the regular sport seats (not the carbon buckets)?

I actually don't find the GT4 that uncomfortable, it just doesn't feel like the kind of car you want to take around for running errands, sitting in traffic, etc.

Interestingly, in a few ways, it's more comfortable than my '98 E36 328i, just because it has electric steering, better stereo + connectivity, more sophisticated suspension, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll definitely make sure I get some solid winter tires.

What about the GT4 is more comfortable? I'm assuming by "sofa seats" you're referring to the GT4, and that you have the regular sport seats (not the carbon buckets)?

I actually don't find the GT4 that uncomfortable, it just doesn't feel like the kind of car you want to take around for running errands, sitting in traffic, etc.

Interestingly, in a few ways, it's more comfortable than my '98 E36 328i, just because it has electric steering, better stereo + connectivity, more sophisticated suspension, etc.
Yep the sport seats are surprisingly comfortable, and heated haha! I also think the car has better insulation so you don’t hear as much road noise, my m2 with mpe drones at highway speeds. The m2 gearing does it a disservice in that instance since typical cruising speed (120ish km) in 6th sits at 3k rpm and is a bit annoying.

The GT4 feels like more of an occasion to drive and I don’t like running errands with it either. It’s a bit of a pain. I find visibility tricky and lack of sensors means I won’t bother trying to parallel park on queen st, no front lift means no downtown parking garages etc. The m2 has good clearance and is easier to maneuver in that sense. I’m still careful where I park but I don’t worry about ripping the bumper off going up an incline lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Yep the sport seats are surprisingly comfortable, and heated haha! I also think the car has better insulation so you don’t hear as much road noise, my m2 with mpe drones at highway speeds. The m2 gearing does it a disservice in that instance since typical cruising speed (120ish km) in 6th sits at 3k rpm and is a bit annoying.

The GT4 feels like more of an occasion to drive and I don’t like running errands with it either. It’s a bit of a pain. I find visibility tricky and lack of sensors means I won’t bother trying to parallel park on queen st, no front lift means no downtown parking garages etc. The m2 has good clearance and is easier to maneuver in that sense. I’m still careful where I park but I don’t worry about ripping the bumper off going up an incline lol.
All makes sense! I wonder if the S55 will be any different on the highway (drone-wise, gearing, etc.). I drove an M4 for a few days a few years, but otherwise haven't been around that engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
All makes sense! I wonder if the S55 will be any different on the highway (drone-wise, gearing, etc.). I drove an M4 for a few days a few years, but otherwise haven't been around that engine.
He mentioned that his was the MPerformance exhaust. I own the M2C with stock exhaust and ASD still on. If I'm cruising on the freeway in Sport+ mode there is an annoying drone that does bother me on a long trip. A quick press of the mode button to efficient stops the drone which is probably due in some part to open exhaust flap but mostly due to ASD.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m also curious, as I keep toying with the idea of trading to a comp. Hopefully more owners can chime in on that
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

It's mostly ASD. I coded and then cabled mine off and highway drives are much less droney.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:

I'm really starting to wonder if I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it than the GT4. There's no doubt in my mind that the GT4 sounds better, handles better, and is more refined, BUT on a daily basis, I'm starting to really suspect that I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the M2C.

Here's why:

- Less flashy

Same goes for a GT2RS. It's a much wilder car than the M2C, but where are you going to use that on a daily basis?! If you don't live in Germany (near the Autobahn and the Nurburgring), what are you really going to do with it? I guess the answer is you have many other cars, and take it to big track days a few times a year, but it has way too much power for the road. I feel like even 300hp is pushing it.

Don't get me wrong, when I finish a day at Mosport or Watkins Glen, I LOVE the GT4 – but most of the time it sits in my garage, or I'm sitting in IT in traffic, waiting patiently to accelerate to 100km/h.
Just to add to your excitement... from a guy who drives both:
M2C is more enjoyable on the road but it's not as "visceral" of an experience as the GT4. I wish the M2 had that steering feel!

M2C has oversteer everywhere and is more controllable, yes. On a slight bend you may occasionally want to floor it to feel the tail step out (predictably). GT4 does this too, but not to the same extent.

I drive the M2C everywhere. It's not much less practical (aside from the RWD) than a typical 2er or 4er. Mine's a daily driver; it's hilarious in the snow. My only wish is that it had the same traction off the line as my old M240ix. MDM is really good in the snow.
GT4's long gearing isn't noticeable on the track but it's frustrating (to me) on the streets. I wish I could rev higher more often since it likes to live above 4500rpm.
M2 is alive around 3000rpm AND it has shorter gearing. It might be fun with the GT4's gearing since it has so much torque, comparatively.
M2 is nicer on highways. No drone at all in efficient mode. Feels faster the GT4, to me. No need to downshift (but you will).
I got the M2C because it's a more appropriate car to drive every day (while being more driver-focused than the M240ix). It's not a track car.
Appreciate 3
dmboone254970.50
Robin_NL8679.50
      04-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
Just to add to your excitement... from a guy who drives both:
M2C is more enjoyable on the road but it's not as "visceral" of an experience as the GT4. I wish the M2 had that steering feel!

M2C has oversteer everywhere and is more controllable, yes. On a slight bend you may occasionally want to floor it to feel the tail step out (predictably). GT4 does this too, but not to the same extent.

I drive the M2C everywhere. It's not much less practical (aside from the RWD) than a typical 2er or 4er. Mine's a daily driver; it's hilarious in the snow. My only wish is that it had the same traction off the line as my old M240ix. MDM is really good in the snow.
GT4's long gearing isn't noticeable on the track but it's frustrating (to me) on the streets. I wish I could rev higher more often since it likes to live above 4500rpm.
M2 is alive around 3000rpm AND it has shorter gearing. It might be fun with the GT4's gearing since it has so much torque, comparatively.
M2 is nicer on highways. No drone at all in efficient mode. Feels faster the GT4, to me. No need to downshift (but you will).
I got the M2C because it's a more appropriate car to drive every day (while being more driver-focused than the M240ix). It's not a track car.
Thanks so much for sharing all of this. Really excited to get it! I really love my E36 still (stock except for some shitty lowering springs), but it's really showing its age and would cost a fortune to get it to where it'd be clean and a bunch more fun. Will keep it around though...one day...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:14 AM   #11
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
For those that like to read they have a really good online site for PCOTY.
Here’s the direct link to the M2C article.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/p...m2-competition

3 judges had it in first place. One judge torpedoed it with a 5th place which stopped it winning overall.

Scores and lap times here. That Porsche is insane.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
KevinM2931.00
      04-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
For those that like to read they have a really good online site for PCOTY.
Here’s the direct link to the M2C article.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/p...m2-competition

3 judges had it in first place. One judge torpedoed it with a 5th place which stopped it winning overall.

Scores and lap times here. That Porsche is insane.
Thanks for the share! While I agree that it sucks that one guy ranked it 5th, practically speaking, there is no real way the M2C is a better performance car than a GT2 RS. While the journalists may love the M2C for an off track and on track combo (and even more likely because it's in the realm of somewhat affordable unlike the Porsche) it's hard to argue that the GT2 RS is not, almost objectively, the performance car of the year. That being said, that much love for the M2C is encouraging, and honestly, I don't mind it being second the GT2 RS.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Thanks for the share! While I agree that it sucks that one guy ranked it 5th, practically speaking, there is no real way the M2C is a better performance car than a GT2 RS. While the journalists may love the M2C for an off track and on track combo (and even more likely because it's in the realm of somewhat affordable unlike the Porsche) it's hard to argue that the GT2 RS is not, almost objectively, the performance car of the year. That being said, that much love for the M2C is encouraging, and honestly, I don't mind it being second the GT2 RS.
Yep, "losing" to the GT2 RS doesn't bother me the slightest bit. Not even a tiny, eensy bit.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      04-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #14
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

WTH happened to the Alpine that everyone was falling all over 4-5 months ago? It didn't even register a blip here
Appreciate 3
JustChris17423.00
Thescout134944.00
      04-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
WTH happened to the Alpine that everyone was falling all over 4-5 months ago? It didn't even register a blip here
Agree and pretty shocking for the RS4 timing with the Stang.
      04-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #16
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking about this. I wonder if it's a Europe vs. Australia thing? More nostalgia for the Alpine in Europe? Even when the car we all love does better, it doesn't change the fact that the subjective portion of these reviews plays a big part.
Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      04-23-2019, 01:20 AM   #17
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think these quotes and links cover it well. Polarising. I think I’d really like it though.

“Retro Frenchy dares to be different – but not everyone’s sold”

https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/p...ce-alpine-a110

“At the absolute limit it’s a handful, but drive purely for fun and the A110 is a riot. It sounds brilliant, is faster than you think and needs only the slightest provocation to traverse every corner in a glorious arc of oversteer. Best of all, because it’s so light, tyre and brake wear are virtually non-existent.”

https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/p...019-track-test

Note: it was the professional racing driver that hated it.
Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      04-23-2019, 01:24 AM   #18
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Yes the GT2 RS is probably the greatest performance road car ever made. Even so it would be a horrible car to live with. These contests are tough to judge. You can’t really argue with it being the winner.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      04-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Here's why:

- Less flashy

There is a lot to be said for the 'usability' and 'under the radar' vs GT4.

Not a bad choice to be marking
      04-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #20
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
...Don't get me wrong, when I finish a day at Mosport or Watkins Glen, I LOVE the GT4 – but most of the time it sits in my garage, or I'm sitting in IT in traffic, waiting patiently to accelerate to 100km/h....
The GT4 is street legal???
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
The GT4 is street legal???
Ah, it's not an M4 GT4 lol, it's a Porsche Cayman GT4:

Appreciate 8
JustChris17423.00
Poochie9099.00
Artemis28911.50
AndrewC198910903.50
Robin_NL8679.50
pizza240746.50
      04-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70