BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Apex FL-5 18" wheels NT01 275/35/18 vs Stock MPSS

05-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, Bolt, 98 Type R

Apex FL-5 18" wheels NT01 275/35/18 vs Stock MPSS

Installed the following:

APEX FL-5 18x9.5" ET35 Square
NT01 275/35/18
Turner 10mm spacers in front
Turner 7.5mm spacers in rear
OEM BMW Center caps

Fronts Stock weight: 51lbs 3 oz
Fronts APEX weight: 49lbs, 10 oz

Stock suspension

In general, I am unhappy with the weights of APEX wheels with tires. Apparently NT01's are known to be a heavier tire - that said, I haven't done the research to confirm if that's true or not. Just know that I like a light wheel and tire setup and this isn't it.

Album here: https://ibb.co/album/mQUSDv

Overall I like the way everything looks. Will see how this setup performs on track at Sonoma Raceway the weekend of 5/24.

One thing I was shocked to find out is just how well the MPSS's held up. Those tires had three track days on them (Both Thunderhill tracks and then Sonoma) and still look great! I wasn't trying to be friendly with the tires at all and they sure held up to the abuse. In addition I didn't have any traction issues with them, either.

If the MPSS are as good as they've been, I can only imagine the NT01's are going to offer insane grip and perhaps see even better/sharper turn in (not that the car really has a problem with turn-in).

I've found this car in stock form to be insanely agile and loves to switch directions so fast with total confidence.

Last edited by atc5; 05-12-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you're running stock suspension, I wonder if you will end up rubbing with those spacers on. Seems like they would...

I'd also think turn-in will feel much slower on those 275s in front until you can run some really aggressive camber.

Let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, Bolt, 98 Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
If you're running stock suspension, I wonder if you will end up rubbing with those spacers on. Seems like they would...

I'd also think turn-in will feel much slower on those 275s in front until you can run some really aggressive camber.
Thanks - agree re: turn-in likely being slower.

Where do these setups tend to rub? Outside fender/fender liner or inner liner on turns/lock?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Your setup looks great! Thanks for sharing the photos.

The NT-01 is indeed somewhat heavy, coming in at 28.19 lbs per tire according to Nitto's website. The OEM tires are 23lbs front and 26 lbs rear according to Tire Rack, so it's not surprising the weights are nearly identical between our setup and the OEM setup.

Your effective front offset of ET25 is just barely more aggressive than what we typically recommend (ET28), so you may get the slightest amount of rubbing up front in hard cornering or while making full-lock turns.

I'd definitely look into camber plates as mentioned above, they'll help with clearances, provide much better grip in cornering, and extend tire life by quite a bit.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

--Dylan