BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Sport brakes are they a must?

05-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Why is everyone downplaying the BBK; wouldn't bigger brake calipers equal better performance, which is more resilient than the blue brakes, which from what I understand; changes color after heavy usage..

This seem like an fix/improvement even if it means compromising to '19s only..

I love the silver BBK, it reminds me of 135i's silver Brembo calipers, which was a first for BMW and outshined the higher tier 335i at the time, on repeated usage.

Every vehicle has some sort of compromise but I could live with the BBKs shortcomings if it means an improvement over the prior offering.

'Small car, larger brakes' is an awesome package and it makes those caliper look so dominant
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #24
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

The M2C stock caliper/rotor give me a hard-on!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:09 AM   #25
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
The huge brakes & yes, the are freaking huge, bigger than any BBK i've seen, bigger than my coworkers Hurrican, bigger than my buddies X5M, are massive. They are pretty much overkill for the car & I love them for that.
The only downside that i see is that brake dust is a HUGE problem. I clean my wheels and the next day, literally, the next day, the brakes are caked in dust.
These are supercar brakes, get them.
They are huge, yep. Bigger isn't always better, though. These will fade and self destruct long before a real track focused design. The pistons are stainless, not even titanium like the gold calipers. It's basically recycling a design and cost reducing it. They are certainly better than the blue brakes, but the improvement does not come without compromise.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #26
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
The M2C stock caliper/rotor give me a hard-on!
OP is outside US where, in some place like EU, the larger brakes aren't standard and cost extra. Standard here are the brakes from OG M2. But yes, the larger brakes look great and I "checked that box".

Found out after order submitted that the 18" 513 wheels I kept from the F80 won't work as winter wheels on the new brakes..first world problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
I’m sure the upcoming M2CS will have upgraded engine, chassis, and brakes over the M2 Competition as well, and it should.
M2 CS: M Sport Brake standard (2NH) standard, M Carbon Ceramic Brakes optional.
      05-20-2019, 02:18 AM   #28
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I got the blue brakes. They are more than you will ever need on any public road and as a bonus the blue looks much nicer with HS, BSM or AW. Not so much with LBB or SO.

For occasional supersprints upgrading pads and fluid will be more than enough with the standard wheels & tyres.

If your track days involve a change of wheels & serious tyres then get a real set of brakes like AP, Harrop etc, there's no comparison.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      05-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #29
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

So much speculation from ppl who dont track...

1) Braking performance is limited by your tires and brakes have very little influence on the achieved stoping distance.

2) In theory the silver brakes "should" work better on track as they have more thermal mass than the blue brakes, however this only works to a point. Once they are "heat saturated" how well the heat is carried away becomes more important than their size. I can imagine this is harder with the silver brakes since there is less space around them allowing air to flow between the wheel and brake. I think this is why guys that track their M2C and have tracked an M2 say the 2NH option is not worth it.

3) Both the blue and silver brakes are street designs with dust seals that will burn up under repeated heavy use.

4) The M4 CS which is heavier and more powerful comes with the same blue brakes so its not like they are crap.

In conclusion if you dont track or ride the brakes down a mountain the blue brakes will be more than enough for you. If you track a little then both are about equivalent with parts for the blue brakes being cheaper as well as pad changes being faster and having the ability to fit cheaper 18" wheels.

So really it boils down to budget and looks.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8717.00
heavyD^23688.50
      05-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #30
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Is there anyone in the world who likes blue calipers? Really? On a BMW I mean, not on a Focus RS or a Honda Civic or a Subaru I think blue calipers don't match with any color.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #31
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
So much speculation from ppl who dont track...

1) Braking performance is limited by your tires and brakes have very little influence on the achieved stoping distance.

2) In theory the silver brakes "should" work better on track as they have more thermal mass than the blue brakes, however this only works to a point. Once they are "heat saturated" how well the heat is carried away becomes more important than their size. I can imagine this is harder with the silver brakes since there is less space around them allowing air to flow between the wheel and brake. I think this is why guys that track their M2C and have tracked an M2 say the 2NH option is not worth it.

3) Both the blue and silver brakes are street designs with dust seals that will burn up under repeated heavy use.

4) The M4 CS which is heavier and more powerful comes with the same blue brakes so its not like they are crap.

In conclusion if you dont track or ride the brakes down a mountain the blue brakes will be more than enough for you. If you track a little then both are about equivalent with parts for the blue brakes being cheaper as well as pad changes being faster and having the ability to fit cheaper 18" wheels.

So really it boils down to budget and looks.
From Evo review...

“The CS comes as standard with cast discs with four-piston calipers at the front, two at the rear and put simply they are not a match for the car’s performance. The biggest criticism is it takes very few committed stops for the pedal travel to lengthen, and while retardation doesn’t suffer at a similar rate, it removes the precision required to get the CS slowed and turned in. The optional ceramic brakes solve all of these problems.”

Perhaps the 6 and 4 piston Silver brakes with more thermal mass, would have been a match for the car’s performance in the review.

Maybe this is why the M2 Competition comes with the Silver brakes, as an option, or standard in the States.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:50 AM   #32
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
From Evo review...

“The CS comes as standard with cast discs with four-piston calipers at the front, two at the rear and put simply they are not a match for the car’s performance. The biggest criticism is it takes very few committed stops for the pedal travel to lengthen, and while retardation doesn’t suffer at a similar rate, it removes the precision required to get the CS slowed and turned in. The optional ceramic brakes solve all of these problems.”

Perhaps the 6 and 4 piston Silver brakes with more thermal mass, would have been a match for the car’s performance in the review.

Maybe this is why the M2 Competition comes with the Silver brakes, as an option, or standard in the States.

PPL were saying the same thing about the silver brakes at the intro in Ascari....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #33
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

If you dont have to pay for truck brakes why would you? Get some AP's or Stoptech... You can fit 18's and the car will have much better corner weight.

I almost sold my truck brakes but decided to keep them to push them hard and see what they can do.

Yes the paint at the bottom is completely destroyed from rocks and my 788's have giant gouges in them from the rocks as well. The Apex EC7's should eliminate that issue and allow proper tire size.

In other words I'm making due as a victim of circumstance, You shouldn't if you have other options from the start..

Last edited by Proctor750; 05-23-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #34
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Is there anyone in the world who likes blue calipers? Really? On a BMW I mean, not on a Focus RS or a Honda Civic or a Subaru I think blue calipers don't match with any color.
I much prefer the blue to the generic red you see on most cars sporting brembos or upgraded brakes. Subaru has typically used gold or black (they do offer a hideous yellow on late models) on the STI, EVO's were always red, CTR uses red, and the Focus RS is the only car I can think of using blue off the top of my head so I really don't associate the blue brakes with anything other than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #35
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
From Evo review...

Wouldn't pedal travel be due to the stock fluids starting to boil and street pads becoming overheated, rather than the rotor/caliper size? As the quote mentioned, the only "fix" was to move to the carbon ceramic brakes. More thermal mass will only delay that a tiny bit.

All I can say is that upgrading to race fluid and track pads made a huge different with the blue brakes. Very little fade all the way to the last session of the day.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #36
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Not at all, if you like Black go with black it's lower miles and the regular brakes are plenty even for track duty once you upgrade the pads and fluid which you should do anyway for track duty.
+1 for regular brakes. With the correct pads and fluids they will satisfy 95% of the people based on performance....how they look is a separate issue.
Appreciate 0