BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Owners: did you test drive first?

04-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #45
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post

Here's the real question for those of us who didn't drive it first:

Would you have bought it if you had test driven it?

Oh, if I'd have test driven it first, I'd have left with the car. No doubt!

I actually think that's why I DON'T test drive. I know what I like and what I don't. I research, read, and always have my eyes open for new stuff. Ordering exactly how I like it and waiting is a way to temper the on-site, emotional purchase I'd probably make (and overpay for) if I test drove first

I'd likely also compromise the exact options I want for immediate gratification and be pissed off later for not being patient
Appreciate 2
kpham189.50
gmazet308.00
      04-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #46
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

No test drive. Signed the papers as they pulled it out of the showroom floor. First time I have EVER done such a thing. But ZERO regrets, its an amazing machine!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #47
evolved///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, had 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Here's the real question for those of us who didn't drive it first:

Would you have bought it if you had test driven it?
For sure. I knew it would be stiff and would be my primary vehicle, but I've driven stiffer things in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
I actually think that's why I DON'T test drive. I know what I like and what I don't. I research, read, and always have my eyes open for new stuff. Ordering exactly how I like it and waiting is a way to temper the on-site, emotional purchase I'd probably make (and overpay for) if I test drove first
Pretty much agree here.

My biggest concern is how I fit in the driver's seat. I'm a hair over 6' tall (but skinny) with long legs. Sitting in a car before I consider purchase is far more important to me than a test drive. Prior to ordering the e92 M3, a Lotus Exige was also on my list - until I tried to sit in one. It just wasn't going to work out day-in, day-out.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #48
Steveadp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C

I did not test drive before ordering. Only drove OG M2 with 6MT and really liked it. Decided to wait for M2C and they gave me the 1st allocation. Its a no brainer for the money.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 02:55 AM   #49
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

A problem with test drives, as we find with my wife who always wants a test drive for her cars, is the subsequent relentless hassle and pressure from dealers, calls, emails, junk mail and othet bullshit.

I still get calls and junk mail from BMW garages i even telephoned over 10 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #50
2014BMWM3Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: Texas M4

Garage List
Easy reply. I had an M240i and wanted an M2. I was luckily connected and got offered one from my dealer based on a sad story of cancellation. Wife demanded cancellation to some doctor 2 days before delivery. Anyways, test drove the M2C 6MT with 6 miles ODO with my girlfriend and I both had same reaction, she who isn't a huge driver but came from car family goes, there is so much muscle, this car actually has enough of everything for you from power to meat to style to class. I can never get this reaction from my gf or anyone for that matter. I lost a lot of money trading in that brand new M240i custom order but never been happier. The car is perfect. And an honored big brother powertransplant that results in something very special. Feels like you have more than enough power compared to standard M2 wanting more, and most importantly feels like it is being held back, detuned, trying to keep a professional composition on the road and just gently shit on the world. Best M car made to date and going to be an icon, last manual trans M powerplant setup to get a full power M engine setup. Any M car after the M2C with manual trans will be a weaker simple version. Best decision you will make. Don't look back.
      04-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #51
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Nope.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #52
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjrobertson View Post
Easy reply. I had an M240i and wanted an M2. I was luckily connected and got offered one from my dealer based on a sad story of cancellation. Wife demanded cancellation to some doctor 2 days before delivery. Anyways, test drove the M2C 6MT with 6 miles ODO with my girlfriend and I both had same reaction, she who isn't a huge driver but came from car family goes, there is so much muscle, this car actually has enough of everything for you from power to meat to style to class. I can never get this reaction from my gf or anyone for that matter. I lost a lot of money trading in that brand new M240i custom order but never been happier. The car is perfect. And an honored big brother powertransplant that results in something very special. Feels like you have more than enough power compared to standard M2 wanting more, and most importantly feels like it is being held back, detuned, trying to keep a professional composition on the road and just gently shit on the world. Best M car made to date and going to be an icon, last manual trans M powerplant setup to get a full power M engine setup. Any M car after the M2C with manual trans will be a weaker simple version. Best decision you will make. Don't look back.
great story!
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #53
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Best M car made to date and going to be an icon, last manual trans M powerplant setup to get a full power M engine setup. Any M car after the M2C with manual trans will be a weaker simple version
Let me guess, you're basing this off the fact you're going to have a M2C..
How objective...

The M2C is great vehicle but you do know that BMW share the same parts and technology with each passing generation and just slightly improve on them.

I go through each official technical training manual with a fine-tooth comb uncovering this trend, so I'm reflecting off facts and not just a "feeling."

Look pass the skin and you'll see that they don't deviate as wide as you might assume, with each passing generation.

For example, the same exact torque-vectoring M LSD, independent aluminum 5-link suspension, directly bolted-on subframes, etc, are the same as innovation used in every M car since 2001. How much you really expect it change when there isn't really much that was actually revised, with the exception of cosmetic enhancements.

Not calling you out specifically, it just gets annoying and is an enormous waste of bandwidth when folks here are more concerned with stroking each other than actually keeping it real.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #54
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
For example, the same exact torque-vectoring M LSD, independent aluminum 5-link suspension, directly bolted-on subframes, etc, are the same as innovation used in every M car since 2001. How much you really expect it change when there isn't really much that was actually revised, with the exception of cosmetic enhancements.
? E39 M5 had traditional Salisbury equal ramp 2 disc LSD, E46 M3 introduced Visco-Lok LSD and that type of LSD was also used in the E6x M5/M6 and E9x M3. E9x did not have direct bolted subframe neither did the others. Actually a lot has changed on more modern cars...
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #55
2014BMWM3Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: Texas M4

Garage List
Poochie Woochie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Quote:
? E39 M5 had traditional Salisbury equal ramp 2 disc LSD, E46 M3 introduced Visco-Lok LSD and that type of LSD was also used in the E6x M5/M6 and E9x M3. E9x did not have direct bolted subframe neither did the others. Actually a lot has changed on more modern cars...
Hey little Poochie Woochie. See comment above and can you please tell me what changes you know WERE made between M2 and M2C? Prob not a big deal that they swapped the engine from production N to true M powerplant S?
      04-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #56
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey little Poochie Woochie. See comment above and can you please tell me what changes you know WERE made between M2 and M2C? Prob not a big deal that they swapped the engine from production N to true M powerplant S?
I never said the motor didn't changed, obviously with each generation they'll improve the power output but only you will have the 'bestest' M car ever built, as you implied.

You know because it's yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #57
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was referring to the E46 M3 which started to use the same e-LSD all M cars have. I'm not sure if it's the same manufacture as today but the same pattern technology used in all M cars currently but maybe using slightly different software.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-diff-have-LSD
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #58
M Coupe
Private
Rep
Drives: S54 M Coupe

Garage List
I had my dad test drive a couple for me when I was out of town and he was close to a dealer. He said (with a Filipino accent and he is 77 years old). "I pressed the right pedal, it went fast. I pressed the middle pedal, it stopped. There is no third pedal so you are stupid that this is not a stick shift. I turned the wheel and it turned. I don't understand the radio. The leather smells good. It feels like a good car. You are stupid for wanting to pay this much for a car. Buy me a Toyota Truck instead".

So I had to buy him the new Tacoma first and then I bought my M2. I will never ask my Dad to test drive a car again for me.
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
Tag18147.50
Sideshow269.00
Darth One6612.50
      04-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #59
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to the E46 M3 which started to use the same e-LSD all M cars have. I'm not sure if it's the same manufacture as today but the same pattern technology used in all M cars currently but maybe using slightly different software.

The E46 M3 did not have an electronically controlled LSD. It has the basic Visco-Lok unit as I described in my post.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #60
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The E46 M3 did not have an electronically controlled LSD. It has the basic Visco-Lok unit as I described in my post.
I specifically remember reading that E46 M3 had BMWs first torque-vectoring electronic LSD with a 100% locking diff, which is currently used in all M cars today. Which was later followed by the Z4M & E60 M5.

If you're telling me it wasn't electronic, I guess I stand corrected then.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #61
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
I test drove an M2C just to make sure it was everything I read about and it definitely was and then some! I went in not expecting to buy and left after several hours with my dream car.

I also wanted to see the LBB in person and went with SBM. No regrets. Best part is I was able to get it significantly under MSRP!

Coming from an E92 that I love very much. Now I have both.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #62
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I specifically remember reading that E46 M3 had BMWs first torque-vectoring electronic LSD with a 100% locking diff, which is currently used in all M cars today. Which was later followed by the Z4M & E60 M5.

If you're telling me it wasn't electronic, I guess I stand corrected then.
It's not torque vectoring anymore than a traditional Salisbury LSD in that any mechanical LSD "vectors" torque. It is not electronic. It's purely a "stupid" unit. It's a clutch type LSD with a GKN Visco-Lok hydraulic powered unit that is a purely standalone no-wires-connected mechanical LSD unit with the Visoc-Lok functioning to provide increasing pressure on the clutch discs as a function of the difference in half-shaft speeds. It is the same unit employed on the E60 M5 and E9x M3. It has no relation to the modern LSDs with electronic controlled clutch pack force in cars like the M2C.

As an aside, the GKN Visco-lok unit is not very well suited to track/autocross use since it requires relative speed differential between the two rear tires to increase its locking action. Once locked up, it can go to 100% and stay there if there is slip as it tries to loosen up. When you drive any of these so equipped cars, you have to put up with that initial bit of inside spin that quickly becomes locking action. Then you can lean on that outside rear tire like the devil coming off the apex. Racers all ditch these units for traditional LSDs for obvious reasons. Custom diff builders like diffsonline all will build you the cheapest LSD using one of these Visco-lok units since they are in great supply as they are not wanted.

Last edited by CSBM5; 04-07-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #63
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I never said the motor didn't changed, obviously with each generation they'll improve the power output but only you will have the 'bestest' M car ever built, as you implied.

Do you own an OG M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #64
mikeahso
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: various

I test drove an OG M2 and non ZCP M3 in 2016, amongst a lot of others; when I was due for a new car. I didn't buy either the M2 or M3.

When the M2C was announced I felt I had enough experience to buy sight unseen. Especially so when I saw the price was much closer to the OG M2 than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #65
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you own an OG M2?
I did, I just sold it.

I'm looking to get a competition when end of the model discounts start kicking in and I can work the payments to under $1,000 a month @ on a 60 month loan.

I could swing it but not on principle; as my grandmother would turn over in her grave if she heard I'm spending over a 'G' a month for any automobile.

Why? It doesn't change the facts or my outlook on any vehicle..
I don't blame you, the monthly payment is crazy. I never thought I'd commit to an over $1,000 payment for something other than a mortgage, let alone a car.

I was just wondering because you seem very adamant to defend the OG M2 against M2C owners. Nothing wrong with that if you're acting in the interest of maintaining the integrity of facts, it just comes off like its personal for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #66
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you own an OG M2?
I did, I just sold it.

I'm looking to get a competition when end of the model discounts start kicking in and I can work the payments to under $1,000 a month @ on a 60 month loan.

I could swing it but not on principle; as my grandmother would turn over in her grave if she heard I'm spending over a 'G' a month for any automobile.

Why? It doesn't change the facts or my outlook on any vehicle..
I don't blame you, the monthly payment is crazy. I never thought I'd commit to an over $1,000 payment for something other than a mortgage, let alone a car.

I was just wondering because you seem very adamant to defend the OG M2 against M2C owners. Nothing wrong with that if you're acting in the interest of maintaining the integrity of facts, it just comes off like its personal for you.
Nothing personal, I'm happy for everyone whatever they have. It's a privilege to even be able to afford a car, let alone a M BMW, regardless of the nuances of each model or performance.

I'm a nerd, I just like to get the facts correct. Maybe a little too passionate but no ill will. I've learn so much here already, stuff like coding that I never knew could be user-end possible, so I would not come here to troll anyone or be that guy for the hell of it.

Anyway, the M2C is an awesome package for the price.. If you option out something like a Audi or Jaguar in the similar tier, they work up to about 80k or so. So the M2C, manual is worth it to whomever is committed to the price of admission.
Appreciate 0