BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cheap Track Day Tires

05-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Cheap Track Day Tires

Was recommended that I try Firestone Indy 500s. Relatively less expensive but good performance for the money? This is a second set of wheels/tires just to play around with so Im not going to put anything expensive on them. What else should I look for. I have PS4S on my regular set and love them but I cant be repeatedly beating up and therefore replacing tires that expensive so lets rule those out straight away.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Tires and brakes are very important on the track. I don't recommend you getting something cheaper. You're much better off using the PS4S. Track days are not too hard on the tires. AutoX is very bad on tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I looked at them a few years ago to replace the Potenza RE11's I was using on another car. From all the reviews I read, they don't have that much grip and they're pretty bad in the rain over speeds of 55mph. Well, they're similar rain traction as the RE11's (which are discontinued now)

I think if you're gonna race with them, you'll probably end up replacing them more often due to the decrease in traction. But who knows if the cheaper price will even out in the long run. They seem more like a street tire that looks like a race tire with bad rain traction.

Another tire I have experience with is the Potenza S-04. They wore out way quicker than the RE11's I had. I think because they didn't have as much grip, so they spun more often. The RE11's had a treadwear of 200 and the S-04's are 280.

Personally I would go with something with more grip than the Indy 500's. But the only way you're gonna know for sure if you like them is to try them yourself.

The Potenza S007A looks like a better cheap track tire than the Firehawk Indy, actually... I'm looking at tirerack now... They have a treadwear of 240, compared to 340 of the Indy. And they're only $40 more for a set of 4 (245 front & 265 rear) and the tread design looks like it'd be much better in the rain.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Andreas21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 201BMW X5 2016 and 2018 BMW M2

P4S will do more than enough if you are a cashual trackday driver and dont care so much about laptimes. It is a road tire that can handle the track quite well, but it is far from tires like Michelin Cup 2, Pirelli Trofeo R or Nankang AR-1 in the dry.

I have driven the P4S, Trofeo R and Nankang AR-1 on track and the Trofeo R and AR-1 beats the P4S by a long shot if you look at feel and laptimes in the dry. In the wet the P4S plays with the others.

If you are looking for a "cheap" trackday tire for fast laptimes and great feel in the dry there is no way around the Nankang AR-1. They are the best bang for the buck trackday tire at the moment in my eyes. I will buy more of them for sure!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
P4S will do more than enough if you are a cashual trackday driver and dont care so much about laptimes. It is a road tire that can handle the track quite well, but it is far from tires like Michelin Cup 2, Pirelli Trofeo R or Nankang AR-1 in the dry.

I have driven the P4S, Trofeo R and Nankang AR-1 on track and the Trofeo R and AR-1 beats the P4S by a long shot if you look at feel and laptimes in the dry. In the wet the P4S plays with the others.

If you are looking for a "cheap" trackday tire for fast laptimes and great feel in the dry there is no way around the Nankang AR-1. They are the best bang for the buck trackday tire at the moment in my eyes. I will buy more of them for sure!
AR-1 doesn't seem to have a great selection of sizes. And I can't find a place to buy them here in the states.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
Andreas21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 201BMW X5 2016 and 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
AR-1 doesn't seem to have a great selection of sizes. And I can't find a place to buy them here in the states.
They have quite a good selection in 18", but not in 19" at the moment. I am sure they will update the 19" variations.

Strange there is no place to buy them in the US as it is a very good tire and quite a bit cheaper than Pirelli and Michelin semi slicks.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrito_burrito_ View Post
Was recommended that I try Firestone Indy 500s. Relatively less expensive but good performance for the money? This is a second set of wheels/tires just to play around with so Im not going to put anything expensive on them. What else should I look for. I have PS4S on my regular set and love them but I cant be repeatedly beating up and therefore replacing tires that expensive so lets rule those out straight away.
I have them in my 535 and did a track weekend on them at Summit Main. They wore well and had a good amount of grip. I would consider them as a cheaper alternative to PS4s, but so t expect to break any records on them. They are descent in the rain as well. Did a trip from NY to NoVA in heavy rain averaging around 70mph and had no concerns about traction.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Thanks for the input everybody. Ultimately decided to just run my PS4S on my 513m wheels at the track, might end up selling my 437m set. Unless I start tracking the car more.
Appreciate 0