BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Someone in US is getting a San Marino Blue M2 Competition

04-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
They make it that price to have only a happy few opt for it. They don't want many asking for it.

MR
Agreed, they make it cost-prohibitive on purpose to dissuade folks from doing it.

I am just saying that the actual cost cannot be that high....
Do you happen to work in any large scale manufacturing or logistics industry? (From what I recall you work from home right?)

Because if you did you likely would not ask this question. The only "actual cost" to be measured would be shipping and paint. But disrupting a large scale manufacturing and logistics operation (where efficiency is directly tied to profits) to get one car shipped to another factory to be painted and then back for a one off throws in so many added costs and logistical nightmare issues that they would likely need to dedicate an entire team to it to get it done. While practically that may only cost a couple grand, the headache alone makes charging $20k a relative steal and a decent deterrent (I mean everything has a price at the end of the day).

I just think of the nightmare logistical issues we had when a general had a special request or the ones I counsel my current autonomous vehicle clients on now as a lawyer, and see $20k as a steal for the process involved.

I wouldn't do it myself, but I get it. I'm also coming from a different point of view tho.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
IAF109.50
akkando5863.00
dmboone254972.00
      04-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #24
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Do you happen to work in any large scale manufacturing or logistics industry? (From what I recall you work from home right?)

Because if you did you likely would not ask this question. The only "actual cost" to be measured would be shipping and paint. But disrupting a large scale manufacturing and logistics operation (where efficiency is directly tied to profits) to get one car shipped to another factory to be painted and then back for a one off throws in so many added costs and logistical nightmare issues that they would likely need to dedicate an entire team to it to get it done. While practically that may only cost a couple grand, the headache alone makes charging $20k a relative steal and a decent deterrent (I mean everything has a price at the end of the day).

I just think of the nightmare logistical issues we had when a general had a special request or the ones I counsel my current autonomous vehicle clients on now as a lawyer, and see $20k as a steal for the process involved.

I wouldn't do it myself, but I get it. I'm also coming from a different point of view tho.
It's not just body panels but also the body. If you have the interest and get a chance go to Spartanburg to see the process. Then throw in how it will upset the JIT manufacturing mentioned and it's easy to understand why BMW says no.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      04-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #25
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post

I actually work for a company where logistics is very important, but not from a manufacturing perspective (service delivery instead). Your post makes a lot of sense, and raises the right kind of reasonable road blocks from BMW's perspective.

My original comment was a little tongue in cheek...because 20K for a paint color that is standard now for the M4 seems insane to me, logistics challenges be damned. But on a serious note, this whole conversation is started by the pathetic palate of colors that BMW provides for the F87 (and 1M before it). These cars are coming down the same line as 230s and 240s, right? What is preventing them from providing more options instead of arbitrarily deciding only 4 colors can be allowed on the M2?

I understand the current factory cannot handle the individual option without significant changes/investment. That goes towards the types of challenges you're describing above. Fair enough. But there's no practical reason to artificially limit the color choices already available for other cars being made in the same factory...
bollinm25.00
      04-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #26
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm good with BSM..

You can never lose with a black BMW...

#Wisdom
Well yes but you have to clean them every 25 miles to look best
      04-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #27
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm good with BSM..

You can never lose with a black BMW...

#Wisdom
Well yes but you have to clean them every 25 miles to look best
Life is full of compromises..

You can ceramic coat or something equivalent to make the cleaning process a little more tolerable. #LifeHack

Check out this video:

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Added to the first post of this thread:

UPDATE BY Artemis (MAY 2019):
Follow-up on this car: see this thread ("M2 Competition Individual Paint for $24k") (May 2019).