BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bm3 bad customer support experience

12-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

bm3 bad customer support experience

I've been going back and forth with bm3 support and it's been very frustrating dealing with my issues. I'm getting replies from different people and getting a run around of the same reply because no one seems to be paying attention and I have to keep repeating myself of what I need.

I'm currently trying to get the map update for ACN 91 stage 1 tune and I have the beta version 5.7. I was told there was an updated version 6.4 and I need to update my wifi agent which I did through some flashing sd card to get latest firmware. I then showed them proof and said I still don't see the updated ACN 91 stage 1 and then the same guy tells me I have the latest version when he had showed me the other day there is a newer updated version? I mean are u serious right now?? proTUNING Freaks

Has anyone had bad experience with them?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Where do you hear about a version 6.4? The other standard maps are only on 5.8

Are you sure you didn't see 6.4 for a different engine and not for the M2's n55? Maybe support got mixed up with a different N55 map release

I'm on 5.7 ACN 91 and yes it's "beta"
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      12-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post

Are you sure you didn't see 6.4 for a different engine and not for the M2's n55? Maybe support got mixed up with a different N55 map release

Apparently the guy messed up and mixed my engine type and now he tells me the 5.7 BETA is the latest version. But besides that the prior request and other questions didn't give me a satisfactory response. I really hope their team steps it up and I'm posting this so they are aware of how frustrating it was for me.

Thanks for confirming u have the 5.7 ACN 91 BETA. Are you currently running that as well? It makes me a lil worried since it says BETA. Also all the standard maps are all 5.7 except for stage 2 which is 5.8 besides the race gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Quote:

Apparently the guy messed up and mixed my engine type and now he tells me the 5.7 BETA is the latest version. But besides that the prior request and other questions didn't give me a satisfactory response. I really hope their team steps it up and I'm posting this so they are aware of how frustrating it was for me.

Thanks for confirming u have the 5.7 ACN 91 BETA. Are you currently running that as well? It makes me a lil worried since it says BETA. Also all the standard maps are all 5.7 except for stage 2 which is 5.8 besides the race gas
Correct I had a similar odd experience with support. It seems like a lot of them read off a script. I had asked about what spark plugs are recommended and at first they told me the part number for a basic n55 spark plug and I had to correct them saying it's an M2 which comes with the S55 spark plug from the factory.

I'm using the stage 2 ACN 91 5.7

I believe it is "beta" technically because they haven't had a really large group of people actually send in data for them to take off that label.

Everything else you've observed about the map versions is also what I see on my portal
Appreciate 2
D CHOI580.00
Poochie9099.00
      12-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Correct I had a similar odd experience with support. It seems like a lot of them read off a script. I had asked about what spark plugs are recommended and at first they told me the part number for a basic n55 spark plug and I had to correct them saying it's an M2 which comes with the S55 spark plug from the factory.

I believe it is "beta" technically because they haven't had a really large group of people actually send in data for them to take off that label.

Everything else you've observed about the map versions is also what I see on my portal

Have u ran the regular version instead of ACN? If so how is the ACN compared with the regular version? In theory the ACN shouldn't be pushing as hard but with the proper tune perhaps it should make the car perform even better.

I'm currently trying to datalog the stage 1 91 tune before I switch to ACN to see how bad the vegas gas really is. But I'm having trouble datalogging as it doesn't save it. Also everytime I enter the dashboard I'm not able to go back unlesss I force quite the app. It's maybe cuz I have a smaller phone. I'm currently going thru customer support for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
That doesn't sound too reassuring, I would call them out on that nonsense.. Get someone instead with a half a brain to help me..

It's your motor they're dealing with here, not something minor like a light bulb or whatever..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
That doesn't sound too reassuring, I would call them out on that nonsense.. Get someone instead with a half a brain to help me..

It's your motor they're dealing with here, not something minor like a light bulb or whatever..
Yup when I called them out on the difference between and M2 and a standard n55 that was when Dzenan stepped in with the correct response. I trust him and Halim since they are the main supporters of the BM3 platform
Appreciate 2
D CHOI580.00
Poochie9099.00
      12-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Have u ran the regular version instead of ACN? If so how is the ACN compared with the regular version? In theory the ACN shouldn't be pushing as hard but with the proper tune perhaps it should make the car perform even better.

I'm currently trying to datalog the stage 1 91 tune before I switch to ACN to see how bad the vegas gas really is. But I'm having trouble datalogging as it doesn't save it. Also everytime I enter the dashboard I'm not able to go back unlesss I force quite the app. It's maybe cuz I have a smaller phone. I'm currently going thru customer support for this.
Yes see my post history for my experience with stage 2 91 and stage 1 91 and then finally ACN 91 stage 1
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes see my post history for my experience with stage 2 91 and stage 1 91 and then finally ACN 91 stage 1
Ah that's right I didn't realize that was you who started that thread. I've contributed to it recently incase you didn't realize it was me too.

I assume u do your datalogging with the laptop? I don't have laptop so I've been using my phone but it's not saving them. Hopefully support has a solution for me.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      12-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

S55 or N55 they recommend the same 1 step colder NGKs.

Overall their customer service is better than any I've encountered in the tuning scene. I don't think it's fair to put them on blast for mixing up N55 tunes.

If you have your phone connected to the wifi agent providing a hotspot it should save your logs in the cloud automatically.

Reading the FAQ would probably clear up the majority of users issues, but people don't read closely or at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for confirming u have the 5.7 ACN 91 BETA. Are you currently running that as well? It makes me a lil worried since it says BETA. Also all the standard maps are all 5.7 except for stage 2 which is 5.8 besides the race gas.
It's beta because they don't have enough test cars for it. I'm sure they'd love it if you wanted to send them logs of your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post

Overall their customer service is better than any I've encountered in the tuning scene. I don't think it's fair to put them on blast for mixing up N55 tunes.

If you have your phone connected to the wifi agent providing a hotspot it should save your logs in the cloud automatically.

Reading the FAQ would probably clear up the majority of users issues, but people don't read closely or at all.

It's not just because of the honest mistake they made for the wrong engine. The whole support system is very unorganized. I find myself repeating the same questions because they have a mix of 4-5 different people replying and getting lost in the process of what step I'm in. I wrote a 2 paragraph of my concern desperately trying to find a solution and all I got the next day was a simple reply of some basic info that I'm already aware of. Then I have to tell them again what I need and I get told back some other basic info that we had already discussed prior because this guy hasn't been reading prior replies. That is just one of the many other frustrating incidents. I've never dealt with a customer support that frustrating before.

I did read the manual and even watched some youtube videos and it's not saving the datalog for me.

Last edited by D CHOI; 12-12-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

My intention wasn't to put them on blast. I was merely stating a fact of the matter that I went through. Like OP said they had different people responding to the same ticket which just makes things confusing.

I think it's fair criticism to state my concern with their support when I specified I had an M2 n55 and they gave me info for a standard n55. I did read their FAQ and but not all questions are answered in the FAQ. The N55 they refer to in the FAQ and the spark plugs aren't relevant to the M2 at all. In fact I only messaged them to confirm my own research that the best spark plug recommended for my situation with the ACN91 time is the standard OEM spark plugs which the OG M2 shares with the S55 from the M3/4
Appreciate 2
D CHOI580.00
Poochie9099.00
      12-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #14
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
It's beta because they don't have enough test cars for it. I'm sure they'd love it if you wanted to send them logs of your car.
I mean I wouldn't mind once I figure out how to do this datalogging. I really want to datalog the stage 1 91 tune (not ACN) to see how bad vegas gas is.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #15
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah that's right I didn't realize that was you who started that thread. I've contributed to it recently incase you didn't realize it was me too.

I assume u do your datalogging with the laptop? I don't have laptop so I've been using my phone but it's not saving them. Hopefully support has a solution for me.
I used my iPhone at the time. But it's been a while and I know they've updated the agent several times
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #16
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just want to clear the air. In the past when I contacted support during their beta testing to discuss logging the ACN tune they were fantastic. I am not trying to say any negative about them
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Reading the FAQ probably would clear up the majority of users issues, but people don't read closely or at all.
Yes it always saves mine too the cloud.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im sorry to hear about your experience OP, mistakes happen im sure they are swamped with emails since Black Friday.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #19
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im sorry to hear about your experience OP, mistakes happen im sure they are swamped with emails since Black Friday.
This is the worst customer support experience I had ever dealt with in my life. So bad that I had to start this thread. I wouldn't want to screen shot all the conversations going back and forth but it may be hard to grasp what I've went through and the frustration that I had.

They need to take a page out of your book on customer support Mike. You are always knowledgeable and provide what needs to be heard. Much appreciate your expertise in this field.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
My intention wasn't to put them on blast. I was merely stating a fact of the matter that I went through. Like OP said they had different people responding to the same ticket which just makes things confusing.

I think it's fair criticism to state my concern with their support when I specified I had an M2 n55 and they gave me info for a standard n55. I did read their FAQ and but not all questions are answered in the FAQ. The N55 they refer to in the FAQ and the spark plugs aren't relevant to the M2 at all. In fact I only messaged them to confirm my own research that the best spark plug recommended for my situation with the ACN91 time is the standard OEM spark plugs which the OG M2 shares with the S55 from the M3/4
https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+and+which+gap

NOTE: S55 OEM plugs are highly prone to cracking even on stock vehicles. Some have used them in the past on their N55 motors without realizing the heat range is identical and they're in fact of worse quality than N55 OEM plugs. We don't suggest using the S55 OEM plugs when tuning your motors and the NGK SILZKBR8D8S (97506) have been found to be far better.

There is definitely some debate whether or not people running Stage 1/2 even need to bother changing plugs. But they definitely recommend the NGKs regardless.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+and+which+gap

NOTE: S55 OEM plugs are highly prone to cracking even on stock vehicles. Some have used them in the past on their N55 motors without realizing the heat range is identical and they're in fact of worse quality than N55 OEM plugs. We don't suggest using the S55 OEM plugs when tuning your motors and the NGK SILZKBR8D8S (97506) have been found to be far better.

There is definitely some debate whether or not people running Stage 1/2 even need to bother changing plugs. But they definitely recommend the NGKs regardless.
On the fb group they actively re enforce that S55 oem plugs are fine for M3/M4 and M2 so take that however you wish :
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #22
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On the fb group they actively re enforce that S55 oem plugs are fine for M3/M4 and M2 so take that however you wish :
Good to know there is a FB group. They seem to be more active there with a large community to provide feedback.
Appreciate 0