BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track seat?

02-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Track seat?

Anyone have thoughts on a seat for the track that fits a 2020 M2 Comp?

Been looking at Sparco (have used them for years in off road racing) but not sure I want to pony up $3,100 for the fully adjustable unit.

What are you guys that have done a change using? What are you using to mount the seat (I can't find any specific model mounts for the Sparco - will have to make my own, I guess).

Also, what about the harness that plugs into the seat? Is this car going to be like and Audi and get all butt hurt with the air bags when I pull the seat? Is there a cheat that tells the computer "The seat's here, pay no attention to the lack of airbag." As I recall, there was a resistor trick that you did in the R8 to make the car think the airbags were still in place.

Open to suggestions, thanks in advance.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fab View Post

Been looking at Sparco (have used them for years in off road racing) but not sure I want to pony up $3,100 for the fully adjustable unit.

What are you guys that have done a change using? What are you using to mount the seat (I can't find any specific model mounts for the Sparco - will have to make my own, I guess).

Lots of people using Sparco or Recaro

Also, what about the harness that plugs into the seat? Is this car going to be like and Audi and get all butt hurt with the air bags when I pull the seat? Is there a cheat that tells the computer "The seat's here, pay no attention to the lack of airbag." As I recall, there was a resistor trick that you did in the R8 to make the car think the airbags were still in place.

Yes it will go crazy but you can code it out

Check the vendor section, you can see the options that EAS has with pictures (mounts and seats).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1679577

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1327004
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Matt Schnell has a lot of different bracket options.

For seats, personally I like the Recaro Sportster CS seats. They're not legal in all classes though because they don't have a fixed back.

If I were to get the seats, I'd get them through AMX Performance and have them custom upholstered. Through talking to the owner there, he tells me they work with the stock air bag harness, occupancy sensors, and heat switches. Though I am not sure if that's due to a modification he does to them or if they'll work straight from Recaro.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:

I had to code it out on my M4 when I put Pole Positions in. Alex @ Alpine can remote in and do it.
      02-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

You will get errors which you can code out with Bimmercode or the like or using the right resistor.

If it is a dual purpose car I would look at the Cobra Nogaro. Its a nice compromise street/track seat and with 2 seat cushions you can have comfort and support. (high one for the street with more padding, low one so that the seat bottom sides come up higher relative to your legs)

They will also customize them from the factory. Price 2k per seat all in. I don't think you will find anything much cheaper for the quality you want.

I have not yet gone this route as I am a bit short and without a cushion I sit too low for the harness holes.

For mounts look at Brey Krause, there stuff seems excellent.

https://www.bkauto.com/category_s/405.htm

Recaro CS is also a nice compromise. Had them in my previous car (OEM option), the lateral support is not much better than the OEM M4 seats. Again I am a small skinny guy, if you have a waist line in the 40s the CS will hold you very tightly.

The CS was available from BMW as an m performance part. The CS can be equipped with side airbags and heated seat pads.

CS is a 2 part seat so use harnesses at your own discretion.
      02-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Great info from everyone. Thanks.

The car is a dual purpose ride - my daily that I am making track oriented. I'm not opposed to a seat that's not long distance comfy as most of my time in the car is running errands and such.
I guess if I can spend 6 hours being beaten around in a Sparco in a Trophy Truck, there's not a lot that would be uncomfortable in my eyes as long as I'm tucked in nice and tightly. (:

Definitely not a larger guy - I'm 5'6" with a 32" waist so the CS may be a tad big for me - although the stock seats in the M2 do a really good job so if they're close to OEM, they'd be fine.

I'll keep the search going - looking to do this mod a little farther down the line.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I installed Nogaro's in my car a few months back: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675296

I'm 5'11" with a 32" waist and it fits great, especially with the Quickfit Pros. The only downside is that the rear seats are basically unusable by adults, as you sort of have to snake into them.

The mounts re-use the stock seatbelt adapters, so you won't have to code those out. Bimmercode won't code out the airbag and seat occupancy sensor errors, you'll need to use esys or have someone do it remotely (they'll use esys).

If I did it again, I'd love to get Recaro Pole Positions custom upholstered, and somehow get BK type brackets that re-use the existing seat mounts (like the M4 GTS mounts). I briefly went down the path of building my own mounting brackets as well: they'd be around $300 for all four (what BK would make them for) since you'd have to have them manufactured by someone with a CNC break (you can't bend the right angles by hand). You can buy the mounts (PN 52108075097, 52108075098, 52108075103, 52108075104) but they're about $750 each!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
I installed Nogaro's in my car a few months back: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675296

I'm 5'11" with a 32" waist and it fits great, especially with the Quickfit Pros. The only downside is that the rear seats are basically unusable by adults, as you sort of have to snake into them.

The mounts re-use the stock seatbelt adapters, so you won't have to code those out. Bimmercode won't code out the airbag and seat occupancy sensor errors, you'll need to use esys or have someone do it remotely (they'll use esys).

If I did it again, I'd love to get Recaro Pole Positions custom upholstered, and somehow get BK type brackets that re-use the existing seat mounts (like the M4 GTS mounts). I briefly went down the path of building my own mounting brackets as well: they'd be around $300 for all four (what BK would make them for) since you'd have to have them manufactured by someone with a CNC break (you can't bend the right angles by hand). You can buy the mounts (PN 52108075097, 52108075098, 52108075103, 52108075104) but they're about $750 each!
How do you find the lateral butt support? I am 30 +/- 1 waist and 5' 9" and with the standard bottom pad and a HANS the shoulder belts were about perfect.

Pole Positions are nice but you cannot safely/comfortably use them with a 3 Point system. Pole Position ABEs can be used with 3 point systems but they are much wider and don't hold my slim frame in place.

Dunno why I thought bimmercode could code out errors

EDIT: Cobra will customise them for you anyway you want except they will not lower the harnass holes or apply trademarked logos (I wanted them to install an OEM illuminated M2 badge into the seat).
      02-19-2020, 10:23 PM   #11
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
How do you find the lateral butt support? I am 30 +/- 1 waist and 5' 9" and with the standard bottom pad and a HANS the shoulder belts were about perfect.

Pole Positions are nice but you cannot safely/comfortably use them with a 3 Point system. Pole Position ABEs can be used with 3 point systems but they are much wider and don't hold my slim frame in place.

Dunno why I thought bimmercode could code out errors

EDIT: Cobra will customise them for you anyway you want except they will not lower the harnass holes or apply trademarked logos (I wanted them to install an OEM illuminated M2 badge into the seat).
I'm super happy with the fit. I thought it would be too shallow (it looks sort of shallow), but with the QFPs I'm extremely well anchored.

Fair point on the three pointers. To be fair, I use the QFPs on the street (much to the chagrin of my passengers...), so I wouldn't be super worried about that. I think I mostly have been led to believe that the Recaros are a superior product, though I got good quality materials so I'm pretty comfortable with the seats I've got.

It's all VO coding, so I don't know if there's a technical reason it can't, but I assume it's either: 1) liability for messing with safety systems, or 2) a vast conspiracy by the people who make the tools to not make them easy and thus charge for them

Ugh, I wanted them to stitch the BMW Motorsport into it (or emboss the ///M like you can get with AMX), but they said the same thing. I sort of toyed with the idea of taking the covers off and getting someone else to do it, but I don't know how easy they are to disassembly/re-assemble.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #12
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I'll be installing Sparco QRT's.

Lots of different options but at 15lbs they weigh less than all the other FRP options I believe...

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/qrt-r
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:14 AM   #13
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Fair point on the three pointers. To be fair, I use the QFPs on the street (much to the chagrin of my passengers...), so I wouldn't be super worried about that. I think I mostly have been led to believe that the Recaros are a superior product, though I got good quality materials so I'm pretty comfortable with the seats I've got.
Thanks for the review! So wait did Cobra do the leather or did you? I should be getting a sample from them some time soon to match the leather and orange stitching (I went orange for my interior).

As to the QFP/4 point harness on the street (and without a HANS), aside from the decreased visibility you also greatly increase the chances of basilar skull fracture in an accident. The airbag will help but will not save you like a HANS. You also run a greater risk of submarining. The seats should have a hole in the bottom for 6 point harnesses to prevent this.

I would look into a Schroth ASM belt for your dual use. It will help avoid both of the above problems.

https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/...hroth-asm.html

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit

See here the Quick Fit PRO version is meant to work with a HANS the Quick Fit normal version has the ASM tech so you dont submarine and the airbag can work as intended.

Also "These harnesses are designed to be used in stock seats that have passed a seat back strength test. Quick Fit harnesses are not approved for any fixed back or aftermarket seats."

I will leave the Rollbar vs Not in combo with 4-6 point harness debate out of it

As to quality the Recaro seats are 1/2 steps ahead of Cobra and or Sparco in terms of perceived quality.
      02-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #14
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Bought my leather from ukhide.co.uk and had Cobra cut it/do the installation. Does the M2C use the same Dakota leather? Cobra did provide the polar blue stitching, and it matches perfectly.

QFP has ASM as well, and works with or without a HANS (I have one for the track, but don't wear it on the street). I don't have really have visibility issues: side mirrors are turned all the way out to avoid blind spots, so I've got the rear 180 entirely on my mirrors until someone is right next to me, at which point I see them on the edge of the mirror. My only issue is pushing the "trunk open" button, since my arms aren't long enough for me to reach.

HMS Motorsports told me when I bought everything that they had recently (end of 2019/early 2020) approved the Cobra Nogaro + QFP combo, even though they haven't done it for F8x seats due to low volume, which I find odd since I assume there are far more F8x owners who want QFPs than people installing fixed back seats... I guess it's probably cheaper to test the Nogaros than the BMW seats though.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:04 AM   #15
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Bought my leather from ukhide.co.uk and had Cobra cut it/do the installation. Does the M2C use the same Dakota leather? Cobra did provide the polar blue stitching, and it matches perfectly.

QFP has ASM as well, and works with or without a HANS (I have one for the track, but don't wear it on the street). I don't have really have visibility issues: side mirrors are turned all the way out to avoid blind spots, so I've got the rear 180 entirely on my mirrors until someone is right next to me, at which point I see them on the edge of the mirror. My only issue is pushing the "trunk open" button, since my arms aren't long enough for me to reach.

HMS Motorsports told me when I bought everything that they had recently (end of 2019/early 2020) approved the Cobra Nogaro + QFP combo, even though they haven't done it for F8x seats due to low volume, which I find odd since I assume there are far more F8x owners who want QFPs than people installing fixed back seats... I guess it's probably cheaper to test the Nogaros than the BMW seats though.
M2C uses the same Dakota leather as far as I know.

OK I overlooked that the pro had ASM, I didn't spot the marketing blurb or the ASM black "box" in your pics. That is good to know.

Visibility wise I mean at T junctions. In the EU it is not uncommon to have poor visibility at T junctions due to houses, hedges, and fences. You then want to lean forward but can't (as I know from exp). I know that driving in NA this is less of an issue. I setup my mirrors as you do, on track you dont have time to "shoulder check" )

F8X seats do not work well with 4+ points as there are no pass through holes. The belts sit either side of the headrest pyramid and want to slide off. There are workarounds but none are elegant and all are questionable in a crash.

I dont know what testing HMS does, but vis a vis my previous car HMS said it would work with the QFP and Schroth DE said do not do this under any circumstances

Thanks for being a trail blazer though! I am still on the fence with the Nogaros (bought another car thats taking my time ) but I think they will find a home in the M2 eventually.
      02-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
I'll be installing Sparco QRT's.

Lots of different options but at 15lbs they weigh less than all the other FRP options I believe...

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/qrt-r
Are you currently using OEM seats? Do you know what tha weight savings in the end will be with those Sparco's?
      02-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #17
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Are you currently using OEM seats? Do you know what tha weight savings in the end will be with those Sparco's?
I saw 57.6 lbs for the OEM's. So 42 lbs saved per seat if you use the Sparco QRT's
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #18
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
I just had corbaeu FX1pro's in my f22 with planted brackets and it was fine, kind of a cheap seat, but they held up really nicely
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #19
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Been in touch with the guys at HMS Motorsports, as per asciimike and am heading down the Cobra Nogaro trail.

They're getting me a quote on the Nogaro with blue stitching, seat heaters and finding out about using the OEM heater controls and seat base so I keep my settings and electric sliders, as they think this is an option.
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #20
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Been in touch with the guys at HMS Motorsports, as per asciimike and am heading down the Cobra Nogaro trail.

They're getting me a quote on the Nogaro with blue stitching, seat heaters and finding out about using the OEM heater controls and seat base so I keep my settings and electric sliders, as they think this is an option.
Here's what I know about seat heaters:
- The F8x has two heaters: one for the bottom and one for the back. One of these (I think the back) has a thermistor for temperature sensing.
- You'll need to bring the seat controllers over to the new seat as well, since they control heating (seat heaters plug into them).

Seat settings (at least forward/backward) should theoretically be possible, provided that you wire the slider switches through the seat module rather than directly to the motor. It would probably work based on key settings, but obviously there wouldn't be 1/2 buttons to switch without the key.

My plan was to buy E46 seat heaters (because they are more square, and thus more likely to fit in the seats), swap the plugs, and tape them down under the pads, rather than pay the $175/seat I was quoted to get them sewn in (especially after I think it would have been another $150/seat for the heaters). This is what the HMS folks told me, though I admit I'm somewhat skeptical about the heaters being able to heat through an inch or two of foam, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:39 AM   #21
Carbon_73
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
Rocking a set of newly installed Nogaros....using VAC brackets and sliders. I retained the factory 3 point, and have Schroth quick-fits for track use. Seats are quite narrow compared to Oe, and back seat access is a lot more difficult. Saved 22# per seat per my bathroom scale.
Can I ask you to take a picture of where the belt bolts are installed?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #22
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
M2C uses the same Dakota leather as far as I know.

OK I overlooked that the pro had ASM, I didn't spot the marketing blurb or the ASM black "box" in your pics. That is good to know.

Visibility wise I mean at T junctions. In the EU it is not uncommon to have poor visibility at T junctions due to houses, hedges, and fences. You then want to lean forward but can't (as I know from exp). I know that driving in NA this is less of an issue. I setup my mirrors as you do, on track you dont have time to "shoulder check" )

F8X seats do not work well with 4+ points as there are no pass through holes. The belts sit either side of the headrest pyramid and want to slide off. There are workarounds but none are elegant and all are questionable in a crash.

I dont know what testing HMS does, but vis a vis my previous car HMS said it would work with the QFP and Schroth DE said do not do this under any circumstances

Thanks for being a trail blazer though! I am still on the fence with the Nogaros (bought another car thats taking my time ) but I think they will find a home in the M2 eventually.
The Nogaro is the only aftermarket seat approved for use with the QFP. HMS/Schroth/Cobra all worked together to make that happen, and did so with the F80/2 market in mind (because the stock seats don't have head rest posts, so there's no way to safely use the QFP with them, unlike other BMWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
It’s a Schroth Quick Fit so shoulder belts clip into the rear seat lap belt anchor and receptical (1st pic below). The right side schroth lap belt attaches to the factory 3 point belt anchor. On the left Schroth lap belt, I purchased a bmw style belt receptical and bolted that to a VAC bit that bolts to the VAC seat base (2nd pic). Also shown in that pic is the VAC sub-belt mount bracket.
That sub belt placement is pretty dangerous. Sub belts should go straight down to 20° rearward.

That said, VAC's setup in general is of dubious safety, so... might not matter either way.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0