BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DSOmegaX M2C Build [M Performance | Akrapovic]

04-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #67
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman GT4, GR Supra

Garage List
Put in my orders for the M Performance Steering Wheel with Race Display and the Akrapovic Slip On and Link Pipes. Will add the M coilovers sometime later down the line and I think I'll be done for the year after that cause my insanity can only last for so long.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      04-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #68
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Put in my orders for the M Performance Steering Wheel with Race Display
Nice, getting my electronic wheel put on at the port this week. Can't wait.... it's a rather expensive option but I figured if I'm going to do my car I've got to do it right!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #69
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Funfzhen Open House

This past weekend I brought the car to the Funfzhen Open House over in Anaheim together with my friends' beautiful Silverstone F80 and LSB E46. I love how close LBB and LSB mirror each other; it really does look like LBB simply has an additional metallic coat on it.

On a much greater note, all my parts have arrived for the Akrapovic Evo and the M Performance steering wheel with race display. I'm also adding the Autotecknik steering wheel trim color matched to LBB from IND. Install should be going down this coming Thursday!

Appreciate 2
      04-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #70
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
^ exactly

It's funny that people rave over LSB (which i also love) but then claim they don't like LBB. See above fools!

i LOVE silverstone. it's so unique and cool looking
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #71
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
A tease:

I need to code the ASD off the car as others have mentioned. The ASD is now especially apparent when in sport and sport+ as you hear a very noticeable change in tone through the speakers; its just a little jarring.

Otherwise, the exhaust tips may need to be adjusted around with just a little more as I find one side sticks out a little more than the other. Its not bad, but I'm OCD

Last edited by DSOmegaX; 05-03-2019 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #72
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Does the link pipe come with their sound kit?
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:31 AM   #73
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Yeah it’s included
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:52 AM   #74
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it's included
Cool! How's the install of the sound kit?
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #75
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool! How's the install of the sound kit?
It wires into the controller that controls the stock muffler flaps, so the exhaust flaps function as it would normally when cycling through the difference drive modes. The remote is pretty useless though; it can only be used to open the flaps when in efficient mode, but can't be used to close the valves if the car is already in sport or sport+.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #76
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Steering wheel shot. Feels awesome when handling, but really makes me want to be THAT guy and get driving gloves for use occasionally cause I'm concerned about the longevity of the Alcantara. The wheel does take getting use to because the its a lot thicker where the electronics are embedded so it can feel awkward when you need to hold the top while turning wheel.

Loving the color matched trim to go with it. I was hesitant originally of adding this piece cause I didn't know if it would turn out looking a little tacky, but the subtle addition of color definitely adds a lot to the overall dark interior. The LBB is also relatively close to the polar blue stitching so it still ties in to the overall theme inside.

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      05-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #77
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Steering wheel shot. Feels awesome when handling, but really makes me want to be THAT guy and get driving gloves for use occasionally cause I'm concerned about the longevity of the Alcantara. The wheel does take getting use to because the its a lot thicker where the electronics are embedded so it can feel awkward when you need to hold the top while turning wheel.

Loving the color matched trim to go with it. I was hesitant originally of adding this piece cause I didn't know if it would turn out looking a little tacky, but the subtle addition of color definitely adds a lot to the overall dark interior. The LBB is also relatively close to the polar blue stitching so it still ties in to the overall theme inside.

I got the steering wheel as a port installed option, car should be in my hands this Wednesday after a long 9 month wait.

I'm with you, I've thought about the gloves and as silly as I might feel I think I'm going to at least have a pair in the car for those times I feel my hands may be not be completely dry and clean. Might be worth it to carry some hand sanitizer or the wipes as well to ensure you're not grabbing the wheel before your hands are completely dry/clean. The oils from our skin, lotion, the things we touch, not to mention food and all that, can increases the rate at which the Alcantara wears and dirties for sure. It's enough that I've given this too much thought but hey, it's a $2,100+ steering wheel.
Appreciate 1
DSOmegaX221.00
      05-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #78
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Loving this build! Only suggestion would be to add painted reflectors:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...-reflector-set

I know they're expensive but those NA spec cut outs on the front bumper are so ugly.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #79
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

i like this wheel too, but i like the other one with the 12 o clock mark....i dunno...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #80
RIP_MKVI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 2023 iX50

Quote:
A tease:

I need to code the ASD off the car as others have mentioned. The ASD is now especially apparent when in sport and sport+ as you hear a very noticeable change in tone through the speakers; its just a little jarring.

Otherwise, the exhaust tips may need to be adjusted around with just a little more as I find one side sticks out a little more than the other. Its not bad, but I'm OCD
Great build! Would love to see your car in person. I had the Remus exhaust installed and would love to compare the sound with your Akra. From the videos Akra sounds a bit high pitch at higher rev but I want to check it out in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #81
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Loving this build! Only suggestion would be to add painted reflectors:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...-reflector-set

I know they're expensive but those NA spec cut outs on the front bumper are so ugly.
I actually had the reflectors tinted. When light directly reflects off of it it kinda still looks the same, but usually it has a darker shade to them. I've gotten use to the reflectors in all honesty and don't mind keeping them on especially since (thank god) the M2 design puts them at the corner of the bumper versus the M3/M4. It would actually bother me to still have the outline of the reflector there even if I did the IND one. My choice would be to just have them shaved off but I won't waste time and money doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP_MKVI View Post
Great build! Would love to see your car in person. I had the Remus exhaust installed and would love to compare the sound with your Akra. From the videos Akra sounds a bit high pitch at higher rev but I want to check it out in person.
Yeah I'm definitely down to do that! You're in LA? I go up relatively frequently but if there's any upcoming meets or shows in the area I don't mind making the trip. Will you be a Bimmerfest? EAS is finishing up editing their photos and videos of the exhaust from the car, so I'll post it up once they have it done too!

Last edited by DSOmegaX; 05-06-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-12-2019, 02:59 AM   #82
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust

So the main event that a lot of people wanted to see; last week EAS installed my Akrapovic Evolution system (Slip On + Link Pipes) on to the car. Attached are some of the installation photos that were taken while at EAS and below are some provided sound clips.

Valves closed (efficient driving mode)

Valves open (sport and sport plus driving modes)

Demonstration of the sound kit opening and closing the valves
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
VIERsr2620.50
AndrewC198910903.50
bplewis24188.50
Jarran10.50
      05-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #83
RIP_MKVI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 2023 iX50

Quote:
So the main event that a lot of people wanted to see; last week EAS installed my Akrapovic Evolution system (Slip On + Link Pipes) on to the car. Attached are some of the installation photos that were taken while at EAS and below are some provided sound clips.
Thanks for sharing. The exhaust looks and sounds amazing. the quality of full Ti Akra is second to none. Can't wait to see your car in person. I will be at BimmerFest, maybe we can both go to a pre-meet if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #84
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
M Performance Steering Wheel w/ Race Display

Part two of the installation that occurred at EAS alongside the Akrapovic are some interior items. The M Performance steering wheel w/ race display with put in, which was paired with the AutoTechnik painted trim from IND. I wanted to add some subtle accent and the trim was perfect. I like how it is relatively close match to the polar blue so the interior colors remain consistent despite the modification. Finally, had my stainless steel pedal set installed as well.

So what's next after this? Well after the large hole in my wallet gets seamed back together, I plan on picking up the M Performance coilovers as the next major item going into the car. I also still to upgrade the charge pipes and maybe consider throwing in an intake before I finally take the plunge and have the car tuned. This would basically close out year 1 of the build. Along the way, I'll probably also get some other miscellaneous items like the engine cover and weighted center caps too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #85
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP_MKVI View Post
Thanks for sharing. The exhaust looks and sounds amazing. the quality of full Ti Akra is second to none. Can't wait to see your car in person. I will be at BimmerFest, maybe we can both go to a pre-meet if there is one.
I'll probably be there on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:25 AM   #86
Bloodynine
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
It wires into the controller that controls the stock muffler flaps, so the exhaust flaps function as it would normally when cycling through the difference drive modes. The remote is pretty useless though; it can only be used to open the flaps when in efficient mode, but can't be used to close the valves if the car is already in sport or sport+.
I’m having issues with my remote on my Akraprovic. I thought it should open / close the valves no matter what mode unless there already open at higher rpms based on the OEM valve function, but I’m having weird issues with it. It opens / closes the valves in any mode when stationary but sometimes stops working after a drive and always stops working if I go into reverse and then drive again! The only way to get it working again is if I go back into efficient mode then it works again in all modes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #87
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodynine View Post
I’m having issues with my remote on my Akraprovic. I thought it should open / close the valves no matter what mode unless there already open at higher rpms based on the OEM valve function, but I’m having weird issues with it. It opens / closes the valves in any mode when stationary but sometimes stops working after a drive and always stops working if I go into reverse and then drive again! The only way to get it working again is if I go back into efficient mode then it works again in all modes.
The sound kit remote only operates to open and close the flaps when in efficient mode. Basically its only if you want to open the flaps while in efficient mode. It does not function in sport and sport plus so there's no option to keep the car in those modes but close the flaps. Essentially, in my opinion, its pretty useless. There's really no situation I would ever be where I decide to drive in efficient mode but want the loudest exhaust setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #88
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
The sound kit remote only operates to open and close the flaps when in efficient mode. Basically its only if you want to open the flaps while in efficient mode. It does not function in sport and sport plus so there's no option to keep the car in those modes but close the flaps. Essentially, in my opinion, its pretty useless. There's really no situation I would ever be where I decide to drive in efficient mode but want the loudest exhaust setting.
Incorrect!!!

The remote doesn't switch between OPEN and CLOSED! Guys, please stop thinking that. It is NOT true. The remote on an Akrapovic exhaust switches between AUTO and OPEN.

AUTO = The normal behavior of the vehicle as BMW developed it and how the stock ECU wants the valves to open and close.

OPEN = Valves always open and the BMW behavior is being overwritten.

In Efficient mode, the switching means that you think you switch between open and close, but you are NOT! BMW developed the valve behavior that the valves stay closed in Efficient mode and it is only open when you go full on WOT on the throttle. Try it and you will hear the exhaust valves open at around 4K rpm. The remote overwrites this and opens the valves always if the remote is RED.

In Sport and Sport+ modes, the switching is nothing other than in Efficient mode!! You are either following the behavior of the BMW ECU valve program or the valves are always open. The reason you hear not much difference is that you might not have removed the interior false exhaust note called ASD or you are not paying attention, because put the valve open, go to manual shifting and give the car some beans... You will hear some decent sound coming from the back, especially around 3K rpm and above.

The automatic valve behavior of the car programmed by BMW is as follows in Sport en Sport+:

Depending on the input of your throttle in Sport or Sport+, the car closes the valves at different RPMs ranges or gears. At low input the valves close when you go into 3rd gear, if you give a bit more input it could be 4th gear. There is also an option in which it closes the valves at 4K rpm. If you go full on, it never closes the valves. If you go full on (WOT) on the throttle, then it will open the valves immediately.

You must hear this difference, but it could be if you haven't remove ASD and that you are listening to the interior sound track instead of the real exhaust!! BMW did something really smart with this... In Sport and Sport+ mode, the interior sound from the speakers (the fake exhaust noise) becomes a lot more noticeable over 4K rpm and when the valves are getting closed. They did this making sure the car is not so loud outside, while still giving you the experience inside the interior. The interior sound comes up when the sound outside goes down. Smart idea!

By swapping your exhaust, all goes wrong, because the ASD is not in tune with what you altered underneath the car, therefore remove the ASD and listen to your new exhaust instead! Because I did this as well during the development and testing, Akrapovic decided on improving the valve closing process. We fine tuned the valves closing and opening by installing a sniffer system that looks at the CAN bus inside the car. The system checks when the remote is in AUTO if the BMW valve ECU software is opening or closing the exhaust.

The moment the valve gets closed at like 3rd or 4th gear depending on your throttle input, the Akrapovic control unit alters the speed and way in which the valves closes and therefore making sure the switch between open and close is more gradual and gentle. For people without ASD this is a real benefit, and we engineered it in for you guys to have a better exhaust experience! It is not open/close or loud/silent within one millisecond, but more like cllllloooossseeeee and getting more siillllllleennntttt.... taking a bit of time, allowing the sound track to be more gentle and getting more silent over a few milliseconds.

The Akrapovic Bluetooth remote is only useful if you want to fully open the exhaust at any time or if you want to enjoy the full soundtrack in Efficient mode without all the burbles. I know a far bunch of people enjoy that here! Other than that just leave the remote aside and flick through the modes on the dashboard. If you really want close and open, get an Awron display. It offers OPEN, CLOSE and AUTO via the RES button on your steering wheel.

Any more questions please ask me!

MR

Last edited by MR.; 05-23-2019 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0