03-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
brake issue

Had this happen couple of times now in wet conditions, wondering if anyone else has experienced it:

Driving highway speeds (70+ mph) apply the brakes and the car dives towards the passenger side front, almost like the caliper is locking up. I noticed it once when it was snowing, and again tonight in heavy rain. Slower speeds it seems fine, but it's almost to the point of getting out of control at higher speeds like it is locking up (usually have to back off the brakes).

Was going to take it in, but I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things where the dealer sees no issue as it happens under weird edge conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Don't think I've seen this exact issue with anyone else. Before taking it in maybe try to do some hard braking like you would do when bedding in your brakes. That could help free any corrosion etc. that may be causing the issue. Recommend you do this on an open road just in case the car dives as you described. Probably a good idea to take it in regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Take it in. I've never had this issue. The only thing with wet brakes is that after i wash the wheels & the face of the caliper, the brake pedal needs a few good squeezes to dry off and work at 100% or else the pedal has less feedback and takes more of a nudge to stop the car.
      03-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Thanks guys going to take it in. It was dry today and the issue wasn't present, so something to do with wet brakes on the passenger side front.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

It could be a brake issue, but it could also be a suspension/alignment issue. When traveling at a high speed and getting heavy on the brakes, you're going to be throwing a good amount of weight up onto the nose of the car. That weight getting tossed onto the front suspension can exacerbate a suspension problem, even though you may think it's a brake issue. When you're tooling around at low speeds and easy on the brakes, you're not getting that big weight shift, so it may not manifest itself.

Also keep in mind that sometimes highways have a big crown, and/or the part of the lane where your wheels travel have been run-in heavily by trucks, etc. If you cross that crown the car may do some weird things. I run steamroller tires in my Corvette track car, coupled with more aggressive alignment settings. On the highway it is very prone to pulling me around when shifting lanes and hitting those crowns and dips.

In summary, I would look more broadly than just brakes. I would say that in the majority of the instances when our customers bring these situations to us, it turns out to be something other than the brakes (although we brake guys always get blamed ).
Appreciate 2
Got f1?679.50
Montaver2068.00
      03-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
Had this happen couple of times now in wet conditions, wondering if anyone else has experienced it:

Driving highway speeds (70+ mph) apply the brakes and the car dives towards the passenger side front, almost like the caliper is locking up. I noticed it once when it was snowing, and again tonight in heavy rain. Slower speeds it seems fine, but it's almost to the point of getting out of control at higher speeds like it is locking up (usually have to back off the brakes).

Was going to take it in, but I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things where the dealer sees no issue as it happens under weird edge conditions.
Another possibility is the left rotor is not being cleaned when your wiper sis on.

That would explain the pull to the right and also how after a few trys it goes away.

https://www.thompsonbmw.com/brake-drying.htm
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Another possibility is the left rotor is not being cleaned when your wiper sis on.

That would explain the pull to the right and also how after a few trys it goes away.

https://www.thompsonbmw.com/brake-drying.htm
That seems to be a spot on analysis. Thanks for posting. I haven't been in yet, but I will certainly mention this scenario. It only happens when it is raining or the brakes are wet, so it has to be related.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 01:09 AM   #8
Sansnoetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
m  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post

After searching for other posts that highlight "wet brake" issues, this is the one that fits my current situation the best —

When driving in the rain on the highway, if I don't apply the brakes for a while, the first time I hit the brake modestly the car moves laterally to the left. Feels pretty unsafe and by not having full braking power, I have to let off the brake and then start pumping them as if I was driving in snow. However, before you say it was probably just the road, this is a repeatable event for me…but only when driving in lots of rain and not using the brakes for a while. Once I'm on the brakes and they're dry, everything is back to normal.

So my question….in my previous BMWs there was a brake drying feature, however can someone confirm this is included in the M2C as well? (Assume yes). Also, curious if the OP resolved the issue by going to BMW? Was the brake drying feature not working on one brake? Any other ideas?

(Edit…also found this post, which highlights the problem for CCB (which I do not have) but does not find resolution. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795175)