BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Should you tip the auto transport driver?

10-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Should you tip the auto transport driver?

My M2C arrives in a couple hours from a dealer in Atlanta to my home in Tampa. Is it customary to tip the transport driver?

I'm not a fan of the tipping complex and American's propensity for tipping. That being said, if it's customary I'll oblige.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

No
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      10-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I had to google it. I think it's really up to you. If you believe that the driver went above what you consider to be the basic service, then tip away by all means. Google says that tips can be anywhere from $25 to $300.
      10-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I'm like you OP, dont think everyone needs to be tipped (except workers who live on tips, and them I reward handsomely for good service). However, I do keep cash on hand in case I come across someone who goes above and beyond, or simply displays a good attitude and does their job well. So, if your driver is a good dude who ensured your car was protected, then a $20 bill would be a nice token. If he didnt give a crap and just wants to dump the car and run, just wave him off
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Hell no. Tipping is pretty much an American concept.

If you travel abroad often, you'll notice the concept of tipping doesn't exist, except in very rare circumstances. People should provide good service, period. If they don't, then they chose the wrong industry to be in. Are you tipping the driver for delivering your car in one piece? - It's literally their job to deliver the car undamaged. Not to mention shipping cars is crazy expensive as it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post

If you travel abroad often, you'll notice the concept of tipping doesn't exist, except in very rare circumstances. People should provide good service, period. If they don't, then they chose the wrong industry to be in. Are you tipping the driver for delivering your car in one piece? - It's literally their job to deliver the car undamaged. Not to mention shipping cars is crazy expensive as it is.
I agree with not tipping an auto transport driver but... tipping is an American thing bc we don't have certain social safety nets that are commonplace in European countries (e.g. healthcare, education).

Lots of people in various industries do rely on or greatly appreciate tips to make ends meet especially during COVID era.

Just saying that maybe a more nuanced view on tipping is needed instead of a blanket "fuck tipping" bc other countries don't do it.
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3870.50
MKSixer34171.50
      10-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
I always tip my auto transport driver. I had my M2C delivered last week, tipped $300.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:

I agree with not tipping an auto transport driver but... tipping is an American thing bc we don't have certain social safety nets that are commonplace in European countries (e.g. healthcare, education).

Lots of people in various industries do rely on or greatly appreciate tips to make ends meet especially during COVID era.

Just saying that maybe a more nuanced view on tipping is needed instead of a blanket "fuck tipping" bc other countries don't do it.
That's one... many non Americans don't understand the base hrly wage for waiters / bartenders.

And two... i have never in any part of the world recieved service like I have in the USA when at restaurants... namely because people work for those tips and if they screw up; they know they won't get it. With the business now being shattered due to Covid, it just generally makes you a really bad person not too tip.
      10-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's one... many non Americans don't understand the base hrly wage for waiters / bartenders.

And two... i have never in any part of the world recieved service like I have in the USA when at restaurants... namely because people work for those tips and if they screw up; they know they won't get it. With the business now being shattered due to Covid, it just generally makes you a really bad person not too tip.
And that's exactly what's wrong with this country. People like you thinking that those who don't tip are somehow "bad people" 🤦*♂️

Folks in Europe, Asia, and other parts of the world have managed just fine for centuries without "5-star" service (fake ass service here in the states most of the time anyway). Tipping in the US is more important than providing the most basic of healthcare. What a joke lol
Appreciate 4
chris7197273.00
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Bobh5952.00
      10-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

My rule is tip anyone who does a good job. It encourages/incentivizes them to continue doing a good job. And disincentives bad workers from doing a bad job, they will up their game to get a tip. So society as a whole benefits from it. And I'm genuinely appreciative when people do good work, because it's really rare to find people like that.

I also don't do the whole "It's customary to leave a tip" or these other things people like waitresses say to guilt me into giving a tip. Like trying to shame me because I don't leave a tip. If a waitress doesn't get a tip, it's because they are dismissive and rude to me, treating me like I'm an inconvenience to them. I don't really care if waitresses get paid less than minimum wage from their employers. Why do I have to make up for that? Waitresses aren't on my payroll. Which is a whole rant I'm not gonna get into. I just think it's more fair for employers to pay their workers, then them relying on customers to do it. It's probably why most restaurant workers I interact with suck, because they automatically get tips even when they don't deserve them.

Like why would I show appreciation to someone who I don't appreciate? That's incredibly dishonest. And every time I've given a tip to someone who didn't deserve it, I just feel icky the rest of the day.

But anyway, if your transport driver does a good job and you appreciate him, then give him a tip.
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      10-23-2020, 02:30 AM   #11
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:

If these people rely on tips to survive, they should do a good job so they earn the tips. Do you expect your boss to continue to pay you if you don't do a good job, simply because you have a health bill? You're confusing job income with charity income. People who need help with medical expenses go to charity, not expect employers to pay them more to cover them.

It would be completely psychotic for my wife to go to her employer and be like "I'm having a baby, so I need a raise" or "My husband caught the flu, so I need a raise to make up for his lost income until he gets better" or "A hurricane hit our home, I need a raise
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:40 AM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
But anyway, if your transport driver does a good job and you appreciate him, then give him a tip.
Tipping is stupid and so are those who support it. Employers should pay a fair, prevailing wage. If the employee does not perform, you fire them, just like in every other occupation.

I shouldn't need to research every service occupation to see if tipping is putting food on their table or they are paid like everyone else. Studies have shown tipping doesn't lead to higher performance anyway. I do it, and I tip well, but I think the whole concept is exploitative to the workers and annoying for everyone else.

With that said - I absolutely tip in the US.

Last edited by chris719; 10-23-2020 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
j23654.50
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      10-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

You must go to different restaurants than I do. I've gotten service that is all over the spectrum and I doubt many are truly motivated by a tip because, as you mentioned, anyone that isn't an ass in the US is tipping at least 15% unless the service was complain-to-the-manager bad.

The idea that tips keep people motivated or honest is an old wives tale.

Quote:

Well, I'd say, fuck tipping but do it anyway. Withholding tips only punishes employees; this is an ancient practice that needs to be legislated out of existence.
Appreciate 2
j23654.50
      10-23-2020, 02:59 AM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Tipping is stupid and so are those who support it. Employers should pay a fair, prevailing wage. If the employee does not perform, you fire them, just like in every other occupation.

I shouldn't need to research every service occupation to see if tipping is putting food on their table or they are paid like everyone else. Studies have shown tipping doesn't lead to higher performance anyway.
I'm confused about which side you're on. Seemed like you were agreeing with me until the last sentence. I'm also curious what studies you're talking about that show incentives/disincentives don't affect how people behave.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:18 AM   #15
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused about which side you're on. Seemed like you were agreeing with me until the last sentence. I'm also curious what studies you're talking about that show incentives/disincentives don't affect how people behave.
I agree that people should tip in the US if the person being tipped is in a position that relies on tips. I just regret that it has to happen at all.

https://scholarship.sha.cornell.edu/...ntext=articles
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #16
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Steak is over done, wrong salad dressing (who the F orders peppercorn?!?) and she forgot the bottle of Tabasco I asked for when ordering our meal

We still tipped 20% it's automatic

In Spain, Italy or France we specifically say were tourists at fully booked restaurants, we finish within an hour, we tip too (good hostess's knows this)

We often get a table that way, locals seem to spend 90+ minutes at tables nibbling

We MURICANS 🤠 order 900 gram steaks and 2 coke lites
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #17
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I agree that people should tip in the US if the person being tipped is in a position that relies on tips. I just regret that it has to happen at all.

https://scholarship.sha.cornell.edu/...ntext=articles
"The good news in this analysis is that—consistent with restaurant managers' assumptions, psychologists' theories, and consumers' selfreports—the studies showed a positive and statistically significant relationship between tips and service evaluations. The unsettling news is that the relationship was weak in the sense that differences between service levels in the average (or median) tip were small while differences within service levels in the tips left by different dining parties were large. Those findings have disheartening implications for restaurant managers who seek to use tips to motivate servers, measure server performance, or identify dissatisfied customers."

That link compares the size of the tip to the quality of service provided. Trying to argue that the size of the tip does not make the quality of service you received better. I agree. One person tipping big does not make the waitress treat others better, if those others do not tip. However, I am not talking about one person tipping $50, but 10 people tipping $5. Those are both equal size tips the waitress earned, but quite different outcomes. A waitress will do a better job when it's 10 people to serve well to make $50. Not when it's 1 person out of 10 that tips $50.

But also, that's not the point I made. The point I made is that showing appreciation for people encourages them to treat you (and others) well and continue doing it. To praise good behaviour. It's actually the preferred method, because the opposite (punishing bad behaviour) leads to defecting.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 10-24-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      10-24-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

So, Manny01, did you get the car? How'd it go with the delivery?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #19
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Only tip in sit down restaurants. Any other time is stupid.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Only tip in sit down restaurants. Any other time is stupid.
What about fast food joints where you sit down: people flipping burgers and frying chicken also work hard to serve never-ending queues of customers who are often in a hurry. Where do you draw the line: service, politeness, attention, looks, speed, food presentation ?

Other question: what if you know that in the European restaurant you're visiting the waiter/waitress is not allowed by his/her boss to keep tips. It's not uncommon in Europe that tips line the pockets of (some) restaurant owners, rather than those of the underpaid waiters/waitresses. But you don't know that in advance. In principle, registered waiters/waitresses are entitled to guaranteed minimum wages and social security protection (accident-at-work, unemployment, sickness, pension rights, etc.). But quite a number of waiters/waitresses are not registered by restaurant owners, which is illegal (restaurant owners risk
substantial penalties if they get caught by the tax and social security authorities).
      10-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #21
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What about fast food joints where you sit down: people flipping burgers and frying chicken also work hard to serve never-ending queues of customers who are often in a hurry. Where do you draw the line: service, politeness, attention, looks, speed, food presentation ?

Other question: what if you know that in the European restaurant you're visiting the waiter/waitress is not allowed by his/her boss to keep tips. It's not uncommon in Europe that tips line the pockets of (some) restaurant owners, rather than those of the underpaid waiters/waitresses. But you don't know that in advance. In principle, registered waiters/waitresses are entitled to guaranteed minimum wages and social security protection (accident-at-work, unemployment, sickness, pension rights, etc.). But quite a number of waiters/waitresses are not registered by restaurant owners, which is illegal (restaurant owners risk
substantial penalties if they get caught by the tax and social security authorities).
I'm gonna be frank here and say it's not my problem to figure out the minutia.

If it's a serviced sit down restaurant then sure i'll add a tip. Anywhere or anything else then by default I am not tipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #22
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Quote:

If these people rely on tips to survive, they should do a good job so they earn the tips. Do you expect your boss to continue to pay you if you don't do a good job, simply because you have a health bill? You're confusing job income with charity income. People who need help with medical expenses go to charity, not expect employers to pay them more to cover them.

It would be completely psychotic for my wife to go to her employer and be like "I'm having a baby, so I need a raise" or "My husband caught the flu, so I need a raise to make up for his lost income until he gets better" or "A hurricane hit our home, I need a raise
I'm not confusing anything. I said a nuanced view of tipping is probably best depending on the situation. I'll follow that up by saying, oftentimes tipping may not be appropriate, but it might very well be.

For example, if I clogged my toilet with a massive piece of shit, and the plumber came over at 2 am and charged me a nominal fee to unclog said toilet, I might be inclined to tip him/her for the shit clearing service.

Another example, I think you should send me a tip for reading your myopic response to my statement.
Appreciate 0