BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > New BMW M2 CS crashed at the Nürburgring Nordschleife

07-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #45
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
This would never have happened with CCBs and black wheels.

Glad no one was hurt and that the car looks repairable.
Appreciate 1
rilla84.50
      07-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #46
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Foxhole looks so nondescript on a drawn map. Even vid don't do it justice.

First time I drove there, just insane. This is one of the defacto "Have to be seen with your own eyes" examples.

The compression is sick.
Love that compression, first time I experienced it (going much slower) I thought it was insane. I can't wait to go back to the Nurburgring...

I'll say this, a member on the M3 boards crashed in the same spot a few years back during an extended Euro Delivery, and the insurance refused to pay. That's when we realized that the new Euro Delivery insurance carrier no longer supported driving on track (who really reads the fine print). It's definitely a point on the track where the smallest brain fart can send you pinballing into the barriers.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #47
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

So we still haven’t seen any pictures of actual damage to the car. If it belonged to a tuner, than for all we know it could have just been a crank hub failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #48
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Brief interlude pertaining to Nurburgring . . . it is not about the brand, rather, a cool and unique father-daughter experience.

I do not track, but I do have a little track envy when it comes to this video. I would love to take my young daughters for a spin on the Nurburgring.

///AVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Appreciate 3
Dr.Deep1827.00
The_Werm212.00
      07-08-2020, 02:02 AM   #49
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
I'm quite familiar with the track, sort of surprised it was *There* but I hope this is a lesson to most about the big flop that the 2 series in its current form is as a chassis.

Short wheel base and high torque mixed with its absurd weight means you have big moments of low traction as you transition from front to back. Apply that torque to early and you will quickly learn.

The old V8/V10 from before the turbo days is simply a better platform with the smooth growth of the torque from the anemic low RPMs.

anyway. I meant to say that the M2 is squirrely from its fundamental design, and the M3/4 is simply better.

Not blaming or shaming the driver. These things are inevitable with track driving, just sort of annoyed that BMW didn't give the M2 the focus it deserved and it's a sloppy drive, (which can be fun I suppose but not fun on the ring or a real track). The first badge car imo. The history M, this M2 is especially bad but few understand it enough to see that.
Jesus what a load of bull crap. Yeah the M2 likes to get sideways, just like any car with a lot of TQ and a short wheelbase. Thats what makes it fun!!!

With my standard M2C I can keep up with some dedicated track cars and stock M3/4s all day. Its all in how you apply the throttle. Is it more challenging that a torqueless wonder engined car? Yes! but that is fun and challenging.

Anyone buying an M car for lap times is a fool. A westfield, radical, or other trackday ultralight will run rings around everything but the most modded of factory cars.

Here is me last Monday. Car is in DSC full off, and I can easily catch slides. I am by no means an expert driver (this is a full 3.7 sec off the pace a pro set on the same track in a stock M2C).

Poochie9103.00
MDuckie93.00
Davil6464.50
      07-08-2020, 02:16 AM   #50
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A couple of days ago a friend of mine visited the Nürburgring again after four years. First time with his modded M2. 8 laps. He clocked 7:55 (Bridge to Gantry) (video footage available). He told that he could clock a better the time, but preferred self-restraint in order to drive home afterwards with the car in one piece.
That's why I picked 7:55. I know it's doable, but takes practice and skill. I'm working on both right now Mine is stock except for brake fluid and pads. I'm still on 3 year old OE MPSS tires. I will get some better rubber soon and keep doing laps. This was my second day there, and I shaved full 20s off my best lap time from last year. I need more experience and practice.

If you have a link to the footage that would be great. I'd love to see what a more experienced driver does better than me and learn.
Get rid of those and install a set of Cup 2's

You will definitely not regret it

Enough said

5.M0NSTER3353.50
      07-08-2020, 03:44 AM   #51
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Get rid of those and install a set of Cup 2's

You will definitely not regret it

Enough said

Thanks, and that's exactly what I just did I have a set on order and they are going on the car next week. Just in time for my next track day at the 'Ring on July 20th. Looking forward to it!
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:51 AM   #52
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Jesus what a load of bull crap. Yeah the M2 likes to get sideways, just like any car with a lot of TQ and a short wheelbase. Thats what makes it fun!!!
With my standard M2C I can keep up with some dedicated track cars and stock M3/4s all day. Its all in how you apply the throttle. Is it more challenging that a torqueless wonder engined car? Yes! but that is fun and challenging.
Anyone buying an M car for lap times is a fool. A westfield, radical, or other trackday ultralight will run rings around everything but the most modded of factory cars.
Here is me last Monday. Car is in DSC full off, and I can easily catch slides. I am by no means an expert driver (this is a full 3.7 sec off the pace a pro set on the same track in a stock M2C).
Nice work! I see you were practicing your drifts towards the end of the lap!

I do prefer the way a V8 delivers power over the turbo motors, but I think the M2 chassis is one of the best ones around. The car is not sloppy, it's alive and playful, and quick to change direction. I'd take this chassis over M3/M4 any day. If it came with a V8 (with no change in weight or distribution) it would be the absolute perfect car in my mind.

P.S. Has anyone LS swapped an M2 yet? I kid I kid, I know you can get much better power density out of the S55.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-08-2020 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
Megator517.50
MDuckie93.00
      07-08-2020, 03:53 AM   #53
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, and that's exactly what I just did I have a set on order and they are going on the car next week. Just in time for my next track day at the 'Ring on July 20th. Looking forward to it!
I really want to try some Cup 2s to see if they really make such a delta over other track orientated tires.

I do feel they may be a bit "wasted" on me though. Like to get the best lap time you need to be on it within the first 1-5 laps on the tire. At this point (most of us) are still trying to get used to the change in grip.

Then after some heat cycles/initial wear they bite less and performance will start to drop off...

Im due a new set of tires soon, let me know what you think and I might splurge a little bit haha.
      07-08-2020, 04:11 AM   #54
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
A couple of days ago a friend of mine visited the Nürburgring again after four years. First time with his modded M2. 8 laps. He clocked 7:55 (Bridge to Gantry) (video footage available). He told that he could clock a better the time, but preferred self-restraint in order to drive home afterwards with the car in one piece.
That's why I picked 7:55. I know it's doable, but takes practice and skill. I'm working on both right now Mine is stock except for brake fluid and pads. I'm still on 3 year old OE MPSS tires. I will get some better rubber soon and keep doing laps. This was my second day there, and I shaved full 20s off my best lap time from last year. I need more experience and practice.
If you have a link to the footage that would be great. I'd love to see what a more experienced driver does better than me and learn.
Here you go. He has seriously modded his manual 2016 M2 (note: he wore a helmet at the beginning of the session, but it got too sweaty - this was lap 5 out of 8):

07-08-2020, 04:32 AM   #55
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really want to try some Cup 2s to see if they really make such a delta over other track orientated tires.

I do feel they may be a bit "wasted" on me though. Like to get the best lap time you need to be on it within the first 1-5 laps on the tire. At this point (most of us) are still trying to get used to the change in grip.

Then after some heat cycles/initial wear they bite less and performance will start to drop off...

Im due a new set of tires soon, let me know what you think and I might splurge a little bit haha.
I'll keep you posted. I have 2 track days in the next month with Cup 2s, and I'm also curious to see how they do on the street in the wet. But you're not kidding, they are expensive AF.

Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      07-08-2020, 04:34 AM   #56
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go. He has seriously modded his manual 2016 M2 (note: he wore a helmet at the beginning of the session, but it got too sweaty - this was lap 5 out of 8):
Thank you for this! Now to study it and learn

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:45 AM   #57
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice work! I see you were practicing your drifts towards the end of the lap!
I havent driven an OG but the S55 delivers power very linearly (esp at the top end). With the GTS diff SW and anything above 3.5k rpm the rear just does what the throttle tells it to.

Haha yeah it was not the intention to drift but it was constantly showering and the asphalt never really got fully dry and warm.

Here is some more drifting on my last flat out lap. The rear started coming round with 180kmh on the tacho.

07-08-2020, 05:16 AM   #58
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I havent driven an OG but the S55 delivers power very linearly (esp at the top end). With the GTS diff SW and anything above 3.5k rpm the rear just does what the throttle tells it to.
Haha yeah it was not the intention to drift but it was constantly showering and the asphalt never really got fully dry and warm.
Here is some more drifting on my last flat out lap. The rear started coming round with 180kmh on the tacho.
Nice work catching it!

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:59 AM   #59
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Nice work catching it!

For real; forget a helmet, I hope he brought a change of underwear, after that aggressive counter-steer
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      07-08-2020, 06:10 AM   #60
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

SC2's make all the difference they're literally next level, I'm looking forward to getting the new set which are being developed with the M2CS
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      07-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #61
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
I'm quite familiar with the track, sort of surprised it was *There* but I hope this is a lesson to most about the big flop that the 2 series in its current form is as a chassis.
Short wheel base and high torque mixed with its absurd weight means you have big moments of low traction as you transition from front to back. Apply that torque to early and you will quickly learn.
The old V8/V10 from before the turbo days is simply a better platform with the smooth growth of the torque from the anemic low RPMs.
anyway. I meant to say that the M2 is squirrely from its fundamental design, and the M3/4 is simply better.
Not blaming or shaming the driver. These things are inevitable with track driving, just sort of annoyed that BMW didn't give the M2 the focus it deserved and it's a sloppy drive, (which can be fun I suppose but not fun on the ring or a real track). The first badge car imo. The history M, this M2 is especially bad but few understand it enough to see that.
I had fun in my brief time in an M2 from a road car point of view.

but my point still stands that it's simply inferior to the M3 because it's skiddish temperamental driving style is simply slower because it lacks weight saving measures to bring the weight down.

It's simply too fat for its size. I too am familiar with tracks and torque and throttle but were not professionals and mistakes happen, even at the highest levels in racing. The difference is you might not be driving home if you make a mistake with the throttle in the M2.

Also, I know caterham blah blah, but those have different problems. They're 60s designs. And while they have the low weight to go fast they also require a 60s driving style, and that's not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #62
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I've never driven the ring in person, but I have driven on that track in video games hundreds of times. Curious to see how my familiarity with the ring virtually would translate into real life driving. I definitely wouldn't be setting any records, just curious how effective the video games are at replicating real life tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #63
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
For real; forget a helmet, I hope he brought a change of underwear, after that aggressive counter-steer
If you listen carefully I narate myself It was the 1st time I lost it on that corner (usually happened on the one b4). I had a spook and since it ruined my lap time time I took the last 2 corners with ease. Assen is a crazy fast track, at the end of that section you are doing 200+kmh. There are 3 sections where you hit 200kmh+ which is a lot considering the short length of the track.

Quote:
I had fun in my brief time in an M2 from a road car point of view.

but my point still stands that it's simply inferior to the M3 because it's skiddish temperamental driving style is simply slower because it lacks weight saving measures to bring the weight down.

It's simply too fat for its size. I too am familiar with tracks and torque and throttle but were not professionals and mistakes happen, even at the highest levels in racing. The difference is you might not be driving home if you make a mistake with the throttle in the M2.

Also, I know caterham blah blah, but those have different problems. They're 60s designs. And while they have the low weight to go fast they also require a 60s driving style, and that's not for everyone.
A like for like M2C and M3/M4 weigh about the same (in any case within a negible amount of each other). An OG is a good 50kg lighter. The other main delta is how much rubber you can fit, the M2 is limited compared to the M3/M4.

It is true that the longer wheelbase makes for a more settled ride that means faster lap times on tracks with lots of fast sweeping corners. Fatal mistakes can be made in any car though

It sounds like you didnt like the M2s lively nature, which is fine and you are 100% right is slower, but I find it a very fun car. Its also not like the M2 is a heatseaking wall missile...

EDIT: @5.M0NSTER I will be at Spa on the 21st, not one of your planned track days or?
      07-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #64
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its also not like the M2 is a heatseaking wall missile...

EDIT: @5.M0NSTER I will be at Spa on the 21st, not one of your planned track days or?
That first sentence right there just took my quote of the day award!

Oh, soo close. I'm at the 'Ring again on the 20th! I did one day at Spa last year, and I absolutely loved the track. It's fantastic and fast and flowing. This year I'm focusing on the 'Ring, because life goal. I plan to hit Spa again next year for sure before I go back home to US. I think the added grip of Cup 2s will make a big difference in the downhill sweepers.

Last time I did spa was April 2019. I managed 3:02 on a 2 degree C day. I want to be in the 2 min range, and I know I can do it. But first 'Ring. Because race car.

I'll hit you up when I'm planning Spa next year!

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN15927.50
      07-09-2020, 03:32 AM   #65
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
He has excellent drifting skills, which is a benefit for saving unexpected oversteer situations in real-life situations.

A couple of years ago he went with his former 1M on Cup2 tires for a trip of a couple of thousand km to some event deep down in Europe. Upon arrival it unexpectedly started to snow all over Europe. He described the trip back home in snow, ice, black ice and icy drizzle on Cup2 tires as "bloody challenging", haha.

07-09-2020, 04:36 AM   #66
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That first sentence right there just took my quote of the day award!

Oh, soo close. I'm at the 'Ring again on the 20th! I did one day at Spa last year, and I absolutely loved the track. It's fantastic and fast and flowing. This year I'm focusing on the 'Ring, because life goal. I plan to hit Spa again next year for sure before I go back home to US. I think the added grip of Cup 2s will make a big difference in the downhill sweepers.

Last time I did spa was April 2019. I managed 3:02 on a 2 degree C day. I want to be in the 2 min range, and I know I can do it. But first 'Ring. Because race car.

I'll hit you up when I'm planning Spa next year!
Haha thanks! Good luck at the ring and I hope you dont get too much traffic.

Well now I have a target for Spa