BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Future stablemate / future replacement of F87 CS locked in…

10-25-2022, 02:47 AM   #1
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
After what seemed like torturous consideration, the next stablemate (and potential replacement worst case) for the F87 DCT CS ordered.

Any guesses?
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
arciga181726.00
F87EVO4004.00
Humdizzle6024.00
      10-25-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Lotus Emira. . Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 2
WWM3958.00
      10-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Red Lotus Exige
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
aroundelway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Well I hope you at least got the better transmission with the 911. I am on the fence with the T. Less horsepower and still a 3200 pound pig. It’s like the marketing folks are making a joke only they understand.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #5
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundelway View Post
Well I hope you at least got the better transmission with the 911. I am on the fence with the T. Less horsepower and still a 3200 pound pig. It’s like the marketing folks are making a joke only they understand.
3200lbs a pig? I think anything about 3200 is a sweet compromise for weight. People complain about the CS being ~3600lbs. I would gladly take 3200lbs on a modern "base" 911 any day.

Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      10-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #6
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post

3200lbs a pig? I think anything about 3200 is a sweet compromise for weight. People complain about the CS being ~3600lbs. I would gladly take 3200lbs on a modern "base" 911 any day.
CS has a 100 extra horsepower and goodness knows how many bucketloads more torque though. Not a fan of the 992, immensely capable but not a "fun" car.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4004.00
ptgltw3771.00
      10-25-2022, 10:21 PM   #7
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
CS has a 100 extra horsepower and goodness knows how many bucketloads more torque though. Not a fan of the 992, immensely capable but not a "fun" car.
Can totally agree to the not a fun car. Buddy had a 992 Carrera 4S and it was very sterile. His 992 GT3? That's wicked fun. His dad's 992 Turbo S? Launch control inducing childish giggles....

Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 04:03 AM   #8
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
The plan is not to get rid of the CS. The T was the goldilocks spec I was after. Manual 7 speed road car (I won't track), engine sound, mod cons, handling and feels special. Also less than the GTS. The plan is to keep the M2 CS but wanted a special modern manual to go with it. It will be nice to choose between them. Between them I'll be sharing daily driving so wanted something I don't need to treat with kid gloves.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
      10-26-2022, 04:13 AM   #9
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
The plan is not to get rid of the CS. The T was the goldilocks spec I was after. Manual 7 speed road car (I won't track), engine sound, mod cons, handling and feels special. Also less than the GTS. The plan is to keep the M2 CS but wanted a special modern manual to go with it. It will be nice to choose between them. Between them I'll be sharing daily driving so wanted something I don't need to treat with kid gloves.
If you had the choice again , would you pick the M2 CS with a manual ? and the 992T with PDK ? The M2 CS no doubt feels special with the DCT , but does so with the manual knowing that its the only limited special edition with manual since the E30 M3 Sport Evo and E36 M3 LTW.

Im in the same position , thinking the next car and its gonna be likely an auto !
      10-26-2022, 04:33 AM   #10
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
If you had the choice again , would you pick the M2 CS with a manual ? and the 992T with PDK ? The M2 CS no doubt feels special with the DCT , but does so with the manual knowing that its the only limited special edition with manual since the E30 M3 Sport Evo and E36 M3 LTW.

Im in the same position , thinking the next car and its gonna be likely an auto !
But the CS is the last ever DCT BMW will ever produce. Suits the car way more as well and captures the era very well. Honestly, if you want to drive a manual buy an older one. They are so so so much better. No Nannie's, rev hang, anti stalling stuff, rev matching etc etc. Modern manuals are just a weird hybrid.

The perfect companion to your CS is a full analogue car. These are no longer made. Look in the back catalogue. There are so many fabulous choices at this point in time. Get a good one while you can.

CS is probably the last BMW to have some old school joy but with a modern feel. The last of the sheer driving pleasure era. It's as modern as it gets for me and my stepping stone off ever considering a newer car. They just no longer have "the fizz".
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
RideM315.50
      10-26-2022, 05:35 AM   #11
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But the CS is the last ever DCT BMW will ever produce. Suits the car way more as well and captures the era very well. Honestly, if you want to drive a manual buy an older one. They are so so so much better. No Nannie's, rev hang, anti stalling stuff, rev matching etc etc. Modern manuals are just a weird hybrid.

The perfect companion to your CS is a full analogue car. These are no longer made. Look in the back catalogue. There are so many fabulous choices at this point in time. Get a good one while you can.

CS is probably the last BMW to have some old school joy but with a modern feel. The last of the sheer driving pleasure era. It's as modern as it gets for me and my stepping stone off ever considering a newer car. They just no longer have "the fizz".
I understand what you say Davil. It might be not as analogue as 20-30 yrs old , but as you said its as analogue and modern it gets! I enjoy the manual on the car , as Henry Catchpole told on the Evo car of the year 2020 the manual on the M2 CS is just fabulous ! And i need that in a car , its my only car at the moment , it does everything. It is the most complete car for me at the moment. 4 Seats , Great driving experience , space for luggage , i can do everything with it .

As again HC said on Ecoty2020 "if you drawing up the idea of almost the perfect car you've got multi-cylinder engine in the front , power going to the rear wheels , limited slip diff , manual gearbox , what more you need? I needed that Davil , its my only car now! The way i looked at it , is this , i wanted a car that would would feel special , keep it forever , the dct was great , no doubt about it ! Having owned the first M2 with dct , i wanted something more engaging , i wanted the traditional formula , i knew it was one of the last manuals , and this was no a compromise . thanks god i made the right move for me , as i will keep the car (done few more mods which really improved the car at a point that its just perfect for me ) - akra with single length midpipe sounds insane , and disabled the fake sound inside , its just so nice )

Thats the way i see it Davil , there is not right/wrong gearbox , its just a preference . I dont know how other manuals are , i personally like the fact that it revs match , its a modern car . If you want it pure analoque , just turn the traction off like the good old days , and drive it like a maniac (tho im driving it like one with mdm with rev match)

But i get your point . The F87 is at modern as it gets for me as well . Now i need a E30 Touring Alpina , to have an old and a modern in the stable!
Attached Images

Davil6333.50
      10-26-2022, 07:24 AM   #12
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

To be very blunt. While I agree the DCT is perfectly mated in the M2CS, I miss having a manual, especially after driving stick on a rental in England a few months ago. I selected DCT at the time thinking it may coax my wife to giving it a go. Turns out the car was a little too intimidating and she's afraid she'll dent it and so she doesn't drive at all. While I understand Davil's comment re going old school analogue, I'd prefer a new car for a daily. Weighing everything up and thinking about what was out there, I figured if I didn't scratch my 911 itch, I'd end up wondering if I should have gotten one. While I had an EOI on a 992 GTS, it seemed like gross overkill. The T 992 was the perfect spec for me. If I can make it work when it lands, I'll keep the CS.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
      10-26-2022, 07:42 AM   #13
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

Turn off anything you want on the M2CS and you still won't get the feel of an older analog car. It's a modern car with everything that goes along with it.

That being said, I think its MT is wonderful. So easy to drive and shift, rev matching is cool and hill assist is, well, nice to have but feels like cheating...LOL.

I also have one 44 and one 48 year old car with MT's. They have crank windows, no AC, so-so heat and lousy sound systems. Every once an a while there are small oil spots that appear under them. Funny smells too. Both speedometers are currently acting up.

They are nothing like the CS is any way whatsoever. Totally different. In fact, they're totally different from each other. There's just no comparing the 3 and all 3 are fun to drive.

But the CS? Well, that beast wins for comfort, convenience, performance and reliability. Just a wonderful car.

But so are the other 2.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
      10-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #14
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Turn off anything you want on the M2CS and you still won't get the feel of an older analog car. It's a modern car with everything that goes along with it.

That being said, I think its MT is wonderful. So easy to drive and shift, rev matching is cool and hill assist is, well, nice to have but feels like cheating...LOL.

I also have one 44 and one 48 year old car with MT's. They have crank windows, no AC, so-so heat and lousy sound systems. Every once an a while there are small oil spots that appear under them. Funny smells too. Both speedometers are currently acting up.

They are nothing like the CS is any way whatsoever. Totally different. In fact, they're totally different from each other. There's just no comparing the 3 and all 3 are fun to drive.

But the CS? Well, that beast wins for comfort, convenience, performance and reliability. Just a wonderful car.

But so are the other 2.
I agree with you my friend , 50 yrs ago things were different ! Back then many cars had character tho ! But nowadays the M2 CS is still a very fun car to drive , thats actually very rare nowadays. How many manual cars are still available ? In Europe at least , the options are not many..3-4? That makes this car very special in this era of modern - how we call them now. What really means modern ? A 1990 E30 was a modern car back then , and a 2002 was the analogue car . Now ? Isnt it subjective? Maybe this era , is the peak for ICE cars ? A sweet spot between tech/fun to drive/performance? Who knows , after all in 10 yrs especially in Europe things will be a lot different.. So whats really a modern car ?
      10-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #15
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
I'm with you on this one but to each their own.

If I were to replace the M2 CS with a base 911 it would have to be a 991.1

Last NA powered base 911.
Davil6333.50
      10-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #16
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

As we look back in time, 30 years from now, is anyone going to say, Man the DCT was a great gearbox!?

Tech always has something better in store for us and thank the engineers for that. Does anyone even want an Enzo with the F1 gearbox? Can't even launch it 3 times before needing a new clutch. I'll take the F50 in Manual trans please.

A self shifting / paddle shifted car certainly has it's place in sports car driving for me. The race track or a city daily. Not having a 3rd pedal is so convenient around Washington DC traffic.

I was at VIR a few weekends ago. A new Cayman GT4 was being towed in from the track. I ask the tow truck driver, what happened, cause a Porsche never breaks down.....

He said MONEY SHIFT!

Personally I'm rowing gears in my M2 CS with the Auto Solutions SSK it's sublime. Haven't money shifted.....yet
F87EVO4004.00
W///7435.50
      10-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #17
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had a 992 C2S . Sold it.
There is no chance of comparing the M2 CS to the 992 C2S. It felt boring next to the CS , no drama. Too serious. Try an older 911 .. the 992 got bigger , yes very capable , but less fun. Try a 991 ! If you are planning a replacement , get a 991 touring . Its the sweet spot.

Jonny's Lieberman opinion on M2 CS vs 911 at 51:25 -

Last edited by F87EVO; 10-26-2022 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
Davil6333.50
      10-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #18
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had a 992 C2S . Sold it.
There is no chance of comparing the M2 CS to the 992 C2S. It felt boring next to the CS , no drama. Too serious. Try an older 911 .. the 992 got bigger , yes very capable , but less fun. Try a 991 ! If you are planning a replacement , get a 991 touring . Its the sweet spot.
991.2 GT3 Touring (all manuals) is the best Porsche ever made.

Sorry 911R (8250 rpm only), sorry 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 (ok maybe this one is ), sorry 1973 911 RS (you just too old and slow)

I would love to see a 4 car comparison on the tube. Hmmm, that would be a good way to launch a youtube channel.
F87EVO4004.00
      10-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #19
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

I'm done with modern 911's. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the 78 911, the 88 Landcruiser and the M2CS are all I'll ever need. The 2002tii is for sale.
Appreciate 3
ptgltw3771.00
F87EVO4004.00
      10-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #20
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To be very blunt. While I agree the DCT is perfectly mated in the M2CS, I miss having a manual, especially after driving stick on a rental in England a few months ago. I selected DCT at the time thinking it may coax my wife to giving it a go. Turns out the car was a little too intimidating and she's afraid she'll dent it and so she doesn't drive at all. While I understand Davil's comment re going old school analogue, I'd prefer a new car for a daily. Weighing everything up and thinking about what was out there, I figured if I didn't scratch my 911 itch, I'd end up wondering if I should have gotten one. While I had an EOI on a 992 GTS, it seemed like gross overkill. The T 992 was the perfect spec for me. If I can make it work when it lands, I'll keep the CS.
I did the same thing with I got the X3M for my wife and I ended up driving it 95% of the time and the remaining time she didn't like driving it period. So I chose the CS the way I wanted it. And she enjoys the heated seat as a passenger

Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
Jimjamz4538.00
      10-26-2022, 01:23 PM   #21
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:

As we look back in time, 30 years from now, is anyone going to say, Man the DCT was a great gearbox!?

Tech always has something better in store for us and thank the engineers for that. Does anyone even want an Enzo with the F1 gearbox? Can't even launch it 3 times before needing a new clutch. I'll take the F50 in Manual trans please.

A self shifting / paddle shifted car certainly has it's place in sports car driving for me. The race track or a city daily. Not having a 3rd pedal is so convenient around Washington DC traffic.

I was at VIR a few weekends ago. A new Cayman GT4 was being towed in from the track. I ask the tow truck driver, what happened, cause a Porsche never breaks down.....

He said MONEY SHIFT!

Personally I'm rowing gears in my M2 CS with the Auto Solutions SSK it's sublime. Haven't money shifted.....yet
Ouch. And the worst part about a money shift is that the car will never forget it even if there isn't a mechanical failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #22
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And i need that in a car , its my only car at the moment , it does everything.
Got it! I agree with you here, I need at least one manual car in my life. Currently I've got 2
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4004.00
Jimjamz4538.00