BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS: will it be like M3/M4 CS sitting on dealer lots or not ?

05-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #23
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I drove an M4 Comp. Vert. for a long weekend with the adaptive dampers and the 3 modes seemed to make F all difference.

Comfort was minimally more compliant over broken French B roads and Sport+ had minimal body roll decreases.

Its only one part of the suspension, the spring and rollbar rates do not change with the differing modes...
      05-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #24
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The adaptive suspension in the M2 CS is no 'issue'. It's a feature that was deemed unnecessary (also for cost reasons) for the 1M, original M2, M2 LCI and M2C. Let's wait and see what drivers think about it.

For the record: about the M2 and M2C suspension: see this post.

Listen also to what Henry Catchpole says from 05:12 to 05:49 in his M2C review:
Oh Henry, you've now lost all my respect! Haha. 6:15. LOL
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN15847.00
      05-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #25
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
I think there will be enough demand to meet the limited supply if dealers don't slap on a market adjustment that drives the price too far above the msrp. $80k I can see a few hundred people paying. $100k not so much.
Yea it is typically a waiting game and gamble if ur trying save a few bucks. M3CS came out and everyone had to have one - some paid MSRP and some paid mark-ups. A good handful of early buyers paid up, then the cars starting sitting. After about 5 months by November 2018 the cars could be had for $10-$12k off MSRP which seemed like a good deal. By Jan 2019 the remaining cars were going for $15 to $20k off MSRP which was a bargain. Interesting that by this time the 3CS media reviews were positive saying the car was a noticeable improvement over the M3Comp. Contrast that to Clarkson trashing the M4 GTS.

It's a hard bet to place on the 2CS. No doubt it is a special car as is the 3CS. So were the E30M and the 36LTW and they sat on lots. The 1M seems to be the only car that remained under supply during its launch.
Good point making reference to e30m and e36LTW.

Was F8x m3/4 CS a success for BMW and for the owners ?

The last time BMW absolutely nailed it (sellers market for limited run, high $$ models) was e46m3CSL. I know as I had a build slot and deposit paid for one nearly 20yrs ago.

Despite spec and price being sketchy, there were queues forming to get a build slot. Even when spec vs price put a special car out of my reach, I chose to bow out. I did so with dealer and bmw knowledge and made a few quid on selling my slot.

E46 M3 CSL even with smg was special enough, intriguing enough and is now regarded as recent modern day classic.

Did this happen with F8x m3/4 CS, did it happen with E9x m3 GTS/CRT cars ?

If not, why not ?

If so, it bodes well for F87 m2cs owners.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4020.50
      05-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #26
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

$25-30k more than a M2 Comp. No thank you. Not paying that much more for cf roof, hood, and adaptive suspension. M2 comp is a BARGAIN!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #27
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Most of us posting on here are M2 or M2C owners. For the majority of this group the car we own is likely close to the top of what we could or would want to spend on a car. So from that standpoint the M2CS seems very expensive.

There are also a lot of people out there that see a ~$85k M2CS and think that’s a great deal or way cheaper than what they would normally purchase.

It’s pretty cool BMW takes chances on these types of limited production models. The M2CS is a stunner no doubt. The limited availability and pinnacle of the series only adds to the mystique.

Whether we can afford it or even consider it to be a ‘good deal’ is different for everyone. I can say without a doubt I will be excited when I do finally see one driving down the road and if being honest, I will be just a little jealous
Appreciate 6
F87EVO4020.50
cptobvious2531.50
Hankdoll135.50
Tornado1M1209.00
IB M2771.50
      05-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Most of us posting on here are M2 or M2C owners. For the majority of this group the car we own is likely close to the top of what we could or would want to spend on a car. So from that standpoint the M2CS seems very expensive.

There are also a lot of people out there that see a ~$85k M2CS and think that’s a great deal or way cheaper than what they would normally purchase.

It’s pretty cool BMW takes chances on these types of limited production models. The M2CS is a stunner no doubt. The limited availability and pinnacle of the series only adds to the mystique.

Whether we can afford it or even consider it to be a ‘good deal’ is different for everyone. I can say without a doubt I will be excited when I do finally see one driving down the road and if being honest, I will be just a little jealous
This is the truth. Any time value starts becoming a factor it makes a comparison difficult since it's an individual decision. If anyone is familiar with building engines they know that the last 10% in gains is the most expensive. Is it worth it to squeak every last drop from the platform?
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4020.50
      05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #29
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

All I can say is that while I love my M2, if I was spending $90K on a new sports car, it is going to be a Cayman GTS 4.0...

Edit: I realize that those with family responsibilities may be drawn to M2 CS over Cayman and also over something like M4 due to more usable back seat while retaining the coupe look.

Last edited by Q_Subsub; 05-18-2020 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00
      05-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #30
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

What were the production numbers for M3/M4 CS? If the M2CS is a lot lower I could potentially see it selling but the economy is very unstable right now so paying 80-90K for a M2 could be a tough pill to swallow. Personally I'd just go straight for a 718 GTS 4L for that kind of money. The M2C was a huge upgrade for a relatively small price increase, the CS is unreasonable in my opinion and the value is only there if the resale is high due to low numbers like the 1M which was a trash can car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #31
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Its only one part of the suspension, the spring and rollbar rates do not change with the differing modes...
This has always been my concern with adjustable suspension. The dampers are just there to control excess movement in the springs. in an ideal world, you’d like most of your stiffness to come from those springs rather than from the dampers.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      05-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #32
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
What were the production numbers for M3/M4 CS? If the M2CS is a lot lower I could potentially see it selling but the economy is very unstable right now so paying 80-90K for a M2 could be a tough pill to swallow. Personally I'd just go straight for a 718 GTS 4L for that kind of money. The M2C was a huge upgrade for a relatively small price increase, the CS is unreasonable in my opinion and the value is only there if the resale is high due to low numbers like the 1M which was a trash can car.
  • 1M: 2700 scheduled - 6309 built - out of production (see here);
  • M4 GTS ("limited edition"): 700 scheduled - 803 built - out of production (see here);
  • M4 DTM ("limited edition"): 200 scheduled - 200 built - out of production (see here);
  • M4 CS: 3000 scheduled - 2043 built (June 2019 figure) - produced until Feb 2020 (see here);
  • M3 CS: 1200 scheduled - 1263 built - out of production (see here);
  • M2 CS ("limited edition"): 2200 scheduled - production from March 2020 until Dec 2020 (see here).
      05-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherNiko View Post
Do you have numbers for the M4 Heritage Edition? I'd like to know how "strict" BMW was this time
Unlike the M2 CS, the BMW M4 ///M Heritage Edition features a "1/750" plaque. That makes selling more than 750 of those very unlikely.
"The appealing and exclusive colour scheme continues with a unique carbon fibre interior trim designed exclusively for the BMW M4 ///M Heritage Edition. The CFRP structure of the trim incorporates the stripe design featuring the three characteristic M colours. Both the interior trim and the door sills bear emblems with the imprints “Edition ///M Heritage” and “1/750” as an indication of the limited run of this model. The lettering “///M Heritage” – in turquoise, orange or red respectively – is also embossed on the front driver and passenger seat headrests."
(source: here)
      05-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #34
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Saw one of those heritage edition M4s at the local dealership. Pretty dam good looking car.

One has to wonder if they will do an M2 heritage..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #35
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Subsub View Post
All I can say is that while I love my M2, if I was spending $90K on a new sports car, it is going to be a Cayman GTS 4.0...

Edit: I realize that those with family responsibilities may be drawn to M2 CS over Cayman and also over something like M4 due to more usable back seat while retaining the coupe look.
So you're comparing a fully loaded BMW vs. a striped out Porsche? There is nothing wrong with that if your focus is primarily on the driving experience. However, for comparable amenities, the Porsche will be at $100K+

There is a lot of appeal for a M2CS at that price point and performance if the owner desires some creature comforts.
      05-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #36
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I do not understand the mentality that is so common on this forum . . . “if I wanted to spend that much money, I would just get a Porsche.”

It is not about the money; it is about the car. I mean, if someone wants a TRULY TRACK-FOCUSED SPORT CAR, there are plenty of very lightly used 981 GT4s on the market for about what the M2CS is projected price-wise. The difference is not the price; the difference is the car.

Conversely, when it comes to the M2C and M2CS, the difference is not the car; the difference is the price . . . admittedly, this comes from the perspective of a car enthusiast interested in performance, not someone looking to pay a premium to be an 'exclusive' owner of something BMW stamps as a 'limited edition.'

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-18-2020 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
JCZ51482.50
Moflow2484.50
      05-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #37
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

There is a critical difference between the M2CS and the M3CS/M4CS, unless I'm mistaken (and I often am), they didn't take anything away from the M2CS - they just made it better than the M2C.

Both the M3CS and M4CS had silly, and I mean stupid, things removed for "weight savings' - which is kind of a joke on a heavy car like that. The door pulls in the M4CS are a gimmick and the loss of comfort access (while still retaining the all important rear window sunshade) meant that the BMW product planners were all marketing people.

At the end of the day, even us true BMW fanboys had a hard time going for the M3CS/M4CS at the sticker prices that BMW was asking for - mostly because, it just the sum of the parts minus what was taken away, were not worth the premium.

I for one believe the adjustable suspension in the M2CS will be amazing - if anything, for daily drive-ability. And if they simply made the car better and charged more, then cool - we can decide if that delta is worth it to us. We can see by pricing and leasing history, that didn't go so well for the M3CS/M4CS - and I believe it was because of what they took away more than what they added.

We shall see - this whole COVID thing makes it even more interesting. But I do agree -for the price they are charging, I PERSONALLY would not spend the money - but then again, I wouldn't look down on anyone who did.

PS - before the M3CS/M4CS defenders jump in that they got their car on the cheap - just remember, that was for a reason, nobody wanted to pay what BMW was asking.
Appreciate 4
IB M2771.50
Poochie9103.00
Artemis29255.50
chris7197324.00
      05-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #38
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
There is a critical difference between the M2CS and the M3CS/M4CS, unless I'm mistaken (and I often am), they didn't take anything away from the M2CS - they just made it better than the M2C.

Both the M3CS and M4CS had silly, and I mean stupid, things removed for "weight savings' - which is kind of a joke on a heavy car like that. The door pulls in the M4CS are a gimmick and the loss of comfort access (while still retaining the all important rear window sunshade) meant that the BMW product planners were all marketing people.

At the end of the day, even us true BMW fanboys had a hard time going for the M3CS/M4CS at the sticker prices that BMW was asking for - mostly because, it just the sum of the parts minus what was taken away, were not worth the premium.

I for one believe the adjustable suspension in the M2CS will be amazing - if anything, for daily drive-ability. And if they simply made the car better and charged more, then cool - we can decide if that delta is worth it to us. We can see by pricing and leasing history, that didn't go so well for the M3CS/M4CS - and I believe it was because of what they took away more than what they added.

We shall see - this whole COVID thing makes it even more interesting. But I do agree -for the price they are charging, I PERSONALLY would not spend the money - but then again, I wouldn't look down on anyone who did.

PS - before the M3CS/M4CS defenders jump in that they got their car on the cheap - just remember, that was for a reason, nobody wanted to pay what BMW was asking.
M2CS lost comfort access, rear air vents in center console, and center console cubby. It did pick up Merino leather, carbon console and better seats.
Appreciate 4
///AVM2528.00
F87EVO4020.50
Moflow2484.50
doug_9992541.50
      05-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #39
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
I do not understand the mentality that is so common on this forum . . . “if I wanted to spend that much money, I would just get a Porsche.”

It is not about the money; it is about the car. I mean, if someone wants a TRULY TRACK-FOCUSED SPORT CAR, there are plenty of very lightly used 981 GT4s on the market for about what the M2CS is projected price-wise. The difference is not the price; the difference is the car.

Conversely, when it comes to the M2C and M2CS, the difference is not the car; the difference is the price . . . admittedly, this comes from the perspective of a car enthusiast interested in performance, not someone looking to pay a premium to be an 'exclusive' owner of something BMW stamps as a 'limited edition.'

///AVM
I am surprised by this type of response. As you said, if someone wants a truly track focused car, they could get 981 GT4 or 997 GT3, which is perfectly fine. But if someone wants a sports car that doesn't need back seats, is a good road car, light weight, well-balanced, and has the full warranty, what is wrong with wanting a 4.0 GTS?

And you are right. The difference is the price. For $65K, the M2C works. For $85-90K, I would have a hard time justifying one, personally. However, as I mentioned in my original post I realize that M2CS will appeal to those with different priorities.

Last edited by Q_Subsub; 05-18-2020 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #40
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
So you're comparing a fully loaded BMW vs. a striped out Porsche? There is nothing wrong with that if your focus is primarily on the driving experience. However, for comparable amenities, the Porsche will be at $100K+

There is a lot of appeal for a M2CS at that price point and performance if the owner desires some creature comforts.

GTS isn't exactly bare bones like the Cayman T. Also, people can correct me if I am off-base but I do not believe the people that will choose M2 CS will get it for its amenities either.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:07 PM   #41
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Subsub View Post
I am surprised by this type of response. As you said, if someone wants a truly track focused car, they could get 981 GT4 or 997 GT3, which is perfectly fine. But if someone wants a sports car that is a good road car and has the full warranty, what is wrong with wanting a 4.0 GTS?

And you are right. The difference is the price. For $65K, the M2C works. For $85-90K, I would have a hard time justifying one, personally.
Q

I said 'track focused' because that is the marketing line BMW uses to promote the M2CS over the M2C. Complete bullshit, as the M2CS will be no more track focused than the M2C.

Of course, the other half of BMW's marketing ploy is the self-prescribed 'Limited Edition' label to appeal to those drawn to the notion of 'exclusivity' . . . which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with performance, track focus or otherwise.

Within the 718 lineup, the GTS is a great sport car that is plenty track capable, but it is the GT4 that is truly track focused. Needless to say, the GT3 is also truly track focused.

I am interested to get behind the wheel of a 718 GTS 4.0 once available with PDK. . . not sure if it will draw me away from my 718 GTS T4? Either way, nothing 'wrong' with getting a 718 GTS

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-19-2020 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #42
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Don't care. I've already bought one. It's the final form of the best "all rounder" M car BMW has made to date.
Good for you, like I said, if I had the coin and was in need of a new car, I would get one also..

But I imagine it must get tedious having to justify your purchase and how foolish one is, for spending their money, on something they really want..
Appreciate 3
IB M2771.50
Moflow2484.50
      05-19-2020, 12:03 AM   #43
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Don't care. I've already bought one. It's the final form of the best "all rounder" M car BMW has made to date.
Good for you, like I said, if I had the coin and was in need of a new car, I would get one also..

But I imagine it must get tedious having to justify your purchase and how foolish one is, for spending their money, on something they really want..
Lots of BMW enthusiasts don't want a Porsche. We like the brand, the history and the cars. For the BMW owners that aspire to own a Porsche that's cool too,
it is the ultimate Volkswagen after all.

Probably do have to be a brand loyalist to pay up for a CS.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 12:09 AM   #44
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:

Lots of BMW enthusiasts don't want a Porsche. We like the brand, the history and the cars. For the BMW owners that aspire to own a Porsche that's cool too I mean it is the ultimate Volkswagen after all.
I guess that's an attempted shot against Porsche but by that logic, The Volkswagen Group also owns Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti and Audi.

So yes, I aspire to own a scale-down Lambo, i.e. Porsche
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00