01-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

M2C - Share your Journey

Thread Overview
Thread started in anticipation of the 2021 M2C release, for which there ultimately were no changes from 2020 model release . . . evolved into enthusiasts sharing their M2C journey with other enthusiasts. Included are lots of very informative questions/answers that many have about their M2C, whether new or experienced owners. ENJOY!

Jan 27, 2020
Page #1 Post #1

After perusing various threads I am under the impression there will be release of a 2021 M2C, and projections are July-ish of this year.

Some speculation as to what upgrades/modifications are forthcoming but, to my knowledge, there has not been any confirmation?

My SUSPICION is that most 'change' will come by way of increased options. Unlike the 19' and 20' M2C with limited options from which to choose, BMW might allow consumers to ring the so-called cash register a bit?

Any insights into when confirmation of this information is forthcoming?

Thank you in advance for forum member feedback.

///AVM

May 13, 2020
Page #19 Post #417

I purchased 20' M2C and MY JOURNEY began . . . and continues.

May 21, 2020
Page #24 Post #516

First time it became apparent that there would be no changes from the 20' to 21' M2C models. From that point forward the thread evolved into enthusiasts sharing their journey including experiences, likes/dislikes, questions, modifications, etc .

November 27, 2020
Page #102 Post #2224

MY Journey from F87 M2C to G87 M2C going to include interlude involving the BMW icon in the form of G80 M3C.

April 14 2021
Page #119 Post #2605

Journey from F87 M2C to G80 M3C complete . . .

Last edited by ///AVM; 04-14-2021 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Thread Overview Update
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I doubt that you will see any new factory options. Port installed M Performance parts will probably be the same also. BMW doesn’t have a history of adding options in the last year of production. The exception would be buying the limited edition M2CS.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      01-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
frosty2k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Sounds like wishful thinking from an M2C holdout. If there is a specific option you're waiting for, it's unlikely.

Anything that is not an easy bolt on from the existing parts bin is a stretch for the final year of a model. Heck they want to move people to the 2GC if someone is still on the fence at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

There might be a black edition of performance edition or something with some factory installed m perf parts. Doubtful if they will put any effort into a model towards its end of production. The m2cs already got everything possible put in.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #5
RINTAXI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

I thought F87 M2 EOP this March?

6MT FTW
KW Clubsport / Apex ARC-8 / NT-01 / IPE / Sabelt GT-140 / GTS wing / GT4 lip / Challenge harness bar / IND cosmetic package / M performance steering wheel / Hawk DTC-70
Appreciate 1
FCTrs439.00
      01-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINTAXI View Post
I thought F87 M2 EOP this March?
F87 end of production month is 06/2021. See ynguldyn 's continually updated data here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
KevinM2931.00
      01-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Purely speculation

I wouldn't be surprised to see a special and/or final edition

The one significant mechanical option I could see them offering is Adaptive Suspension

Wouldn't be hard to do now given it's on the M2CS and could make it a bit more competitive with other vehicles in the segment that already have some form of adaptive suspension such as the Mustang and the Camaro

With the current M4 ending production around the same time as 2021 M2C production begins there should also be less concern about it taking sales away from it's bigger brother

Only real downside I see to them offering it would be potentially upsetting some M2CS customers

In any case, like I said, purely speculation
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      01-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Purely speculation

I wouldn't be surprised to see a special and/or final edition

The one significant mechanical option I could see them offering is Adaptive Suspension

Wouldn't be hard to do now given it's on the M2CS and could make it a bit more competitive with other vehicles in the segment that already have some form of adaptive suspension such as the Mustang and the Camaro

With the current M4 ending production around the same time as 2021 M2C production begins there should also be less concern about it taking sales away from it's bigger brother

Only real downside I see to them offering it would be potentially upsetting some M2CS customers

In any case, like I said, purely speculation
There is a 50/50 chance the Competition will be offered with Adaptive Suspension for the final model year, as long as the CS is officially discontinued.

They obviously won't offer it consecutively, since it's pretty much the CS's claim to fame.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
Moflow2484.50
      01-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think 50/50 is a bit optimistic. In any case, if I were in the market for a M2C I'd order the first ones coming out of the factory at the end of July or August. This way you have a new car for 17 months since it will be a 2021 model. I bought both of my previous BMWs that way. You pay little if any extra for the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think 50/50 is a bit optimistic. In any case, if I were in the market for a M2C I'd order the first ones coming out of the factory at the end of July or August. This way you have a new car for 17 months since it will be a 2021 model. I bought both of my previous BMWs that way. You pay little if any extra for the car.
Alps

I want something a little different to compliment my current daily driver when the need/desire arises.

The 20' M2C is more than adequate, but I am also looking at 20' M4. As further consideration, I am simply interested to knowing what, if anything, the 21' M2C might have to offer that the 20' does not in terms of standard aesthetic and/or performance 'upgrades.'

I am assuming the price will be comparable to the 20' M2C and, accordingly, would not be surprised if very little will be made in terms of change to standard equipment. Seems views vary regarding 'options' that will be made available toward 'ringing the cash register.' Whatever the case, I have to believe BMW has to offer something 'new' compared to the 20' M2C . . . otherwise why release a 21' model at all?

For the record, I am not interested in optioning out an M2C to approach whatever a M2CS will equate, even if such options were made available. If I wanted a M2CS I would get one. I have stated my views on the M2CS elsewhere, and will not digress further down that path here.

In contrast to an above post, not 'wishful thinking' or a matter of holding out' on my part. If anything, I was holding out for the release of the next M4 model iteration, but preliminary release information has me less than impressed with certain aspects of the build, e.g., iconic BMW front kidney grill that looks like it ate a Lexus.

I guess my biggest question right now is, according prior releases, when do we anticipate BMW will release details pertaining to the 21' M2C? I am not in any rush, and I would be willing to 'hold out' if I felt doing so would serve my personal interests.

Thank you

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      01-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #11
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Whatever the case, I have to believe BMW has to offer something 'new' compared to the 20' M2C . . . otherwise why release a 21' model at all?
Car makers release new model years every year, on cycle, even if nothing major changes. I think everyone's point is that there will likely be minimal change to an out going model. Will some "options/goodies" be thrown into the mix to sell of the remaining stock? Perhaps. And also there will be a CS.

Bottom line is no one knows really.

I was originally looking to buy in mid-late 2020 (so a 2021 model), but the opportunity presented itself and I bought now. There will always be something better, or a better deal, or more goodies. Hard to predict
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
goku7173.00
      01-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #12
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Whatever the case, I have to believe BMW has to offer something 'new' compared to the 20' M2C . . . otherwise why release a 21' model at all?
I think everyone's point is that there will likely be minimal change to an out going model.

I've seen BMW throw the "ZHP Performance Package" at the E46 330i only at the end of its model run.

Same with the E92 335is, which reverted back to a tune N54, a unique exhaust and a few unique options before they close out the cycle.

BMW also offer the 135 an "is" version, at the end of the 2013 model run, with all the bells and whistle, stock.

There are a lot more that I can't list off the top of my head and your guess is good as mines about what exactly they might offer for end of the Competition's production but I wouldn't exactly say they don't typically include much before they close the curtains on a model, it's usually the contrary.

So much assumption was based on history and not so much wishful thinking.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      01-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I've seen BMW throw the "Sport Package" at the E46 330i only at the end of its model run.

Same with the E92 335is, which reverted back to a tune N54, a unique exhaust and a few unique options before they close out the cycle.

BMW also offer the 135 an "is" version, at the end of the 2013 model run, with all the bells and whistle, stock.

There are a lot more that I can't list off the top of my head and your guess is good as mines about what exactly they might offer for end of the Competition's production but I wouldn't exactly say they don't typically include much before they close the curtains on a model, it's usually the contrary.

So much assumption was based on history and not so much wishful thinking.
The M2CS is the special edition of the M2C. I would be surprised if they make any changes to the current M2C other than something like the black edition they did for the OG M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #14
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

I understand many view the M2CS is being the ‘special’ version of the M2 model lineup. Relative to the M2C, I disagree with such claim, but for the sake of discussion I am going to be agreeable.

If you look at the Porsche model lineups you typically get the ‘base’ with escalation that includes S, GTS and Turbo models (GT models are truly ‘special’ next levels). Most, but not all model ‘jumps’ include an engine upgrade, but there are always other standard performance improvements as you move up the model lineup. No pun intended, but the horses were already let out of the barn when BMW put the S55 in the M2C. THAT made the M2 model special. THAT made the M2C special . . . but I promised not to digress down that path.

Engine aside, the Porsche cash register is always open for consumers that want to pick and choose what comfort, aesthetic and performance ‘upgrades’ they desire. As example, an S model can be optioned out to approach – but never quite reach - the GTS model. Although all the features can never be fully equated, the price most certainly will if attempted. Porsche has mastered the pricing, such that – again, for example – topping off a S model to will just exceed a similarly equipped GTS model. Nonetheless, the point is not to try and build a GTS from a base model. Rather, to provide consumers who do not want the GTS model the opportunity to pick and choose certain features they would like to include in their S model.

So, getting back to the M2C and M2CS . . . If someone wants the M2CS, great, they will soon be available. Stated differently, if someone wants all the features offered in the M2CS, then it would make no sense to buy the M2C and attempt to option it out to a M2CS. HOWEVER, what if a consumer only wants the adaptive suspension, upgraded exhaust, or some other stock/available M2CS feature? Obviously, BMW already has all the parts. Would making such options available to the M2C detract from the M2CS . . . any more than making PASM or PSE available on a Porsche S model would detract from the GTS model? Would making such options available make the M2CS any less special?

It is not that I do not believe anyone on this forum when they say BMW will not offer much by way of options and upgrades when it comes to the 21’ M2C. I honestly do not care if they do or do not, BUT I do question WHY NOT? The fact that 21’ will be the last M2C iteration seems all-the-more reason to roll out the options list and let consumers ring the cash register to there liking and budget. It would not make the M2CS any less ‘special’ and could prove quite profitable for BMW.

Oh, and as an owner of a GTS model, I can state with absolute certainty that my vehicle does not feel any less ‘special’ to ME knowing there are similarly equipped S models on the road. In full digression, what will drive me insane is knowing a 718 CGTS 4.0 will soon available and my GTS does not have all the glory of a NA F6 . . . I think it will be truly special and, yes, my deposit check is ready if/when Porsche announces PDK option.

In the interim, I am simply interested to learn what the 21’ M2C will have to offer compared to the 20’ model iteration.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #15
Triple Seven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i, 2020 M2C (sold)

Quote:
Alps

I want something a little different to compliment my current daily driver when the need/desire arises.

The 20' M2C is more than adequate, but I am also looking at 20' M4. As further consideration, I am simply interested to knowing what, if anything, the 21' M2C might have to offer that the 20' does not in terms of standard aesthetic and/or performance 'upgrades.'

I am assuming the price will be comparable to the 20' M2C and, accordingly, would not be surprised if very little will be made in terms of change to standard equipment. Seems views vary regarding 'options' that will be made available toward 'ringing the cash register.' Whatever the case, I have to believe BMW has to offer something 'new' compared to the 20' M2C . . . otherwise why release a 21' model at all?

For the record, I am not interested in optioning out an M2C to approach whatever a M2CS will equate, even if such options were made available. If I wanted a M2CS I would get one. I have stated my views on the M2CS elsewhere, and will not digress further down that path here.

In contrast to an above post, not 'wishful thinking' or a matter of holding out' on my part. If anything, I was holding out for the release of the next M4 model iteration, but preliminary release information has me less than impressed with certain aspects of the build, e.g., iconic BMW front kidney grill that looks like it ate a Lexus.

I guess my biggest question right now is, according prior releases, when do we anticipate BMW will release details pertaining to the 21' M2C? I am not in any rush, and I would be willing to 'hold out' if I felt doing so would serve my personal interests.

Thank you

///AVM
Your choice of using the word "adequate" made me laugh.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM162.50
      01-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #16
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Just buy an M2C if you want one, outside of throwing in some run out color options there will be no difference. Given the way production lines are tooled and setup they are unlikely to make major additions for one model year as it makes no financial sense. At best there may be some parts from the M performance parts bin lying around which they throw on, but all that stuff is available separately anyway. The e92 LRP editiion is a classic example of the 'parts bin special'.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #17
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Just buy an M2C if you want one, outside of throwing in some run out color options there will be no difference. Given the way production lines are tooled and setup they are unlikely to make major additions for one model year as it makes no financial sense. At best there may be some parts from the M performance parts bin lying around which they throw on, but all that stuff is available separately anyway. The e92 LRP editiion is a classic example of the 'parts bin special'.
Montaver

I am not in a rush, and guess I just want to know what is coming down the pike with the 21' M2C. If little improvement by way of upgrades or options, then no doubt plenty of 20' models will still be available for purchase at more than an enticing price.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #18
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Seven View Post
Your choice of using the word "adequate" made me laugh.
Triple

To be fair, I did say ‘more than adequate,’ as to suggest the M2C offers a nice balance when it comes to form, function and cost.

Getting from point A to point B remains the objective but, as a sport car enthusiast, I enjoy the opportunity to do so in a spirited manner whenever possible.

My current daily drive occasionally proves itself shy of needed practicality. The M2C would be ‘more than adequate’ in meeting such needs, as well as delivering performance when it comes to spirited driving interests.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #19
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
If you look at the Porsche model lineups...
Keep in mind that Porsche operates in a much different environment than most car manufacturers these days

The reason they are able to offer a plethora of options on a variety of models is because they currently have a customer base that is both willing and able to pay for them

Unfortunately, the economic realities for the majority of auto makers today does not allow for this
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
///AVM2528.00
      01-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #20
newcar55
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
What about something like red seats? A black car with red seats would get all my money.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      01-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #21
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
What about something like red seats? A black car with red seats would get all my money.

Tell me about it; red leather seats are my jam. : drool::d rool:
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      01-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #22
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Quote:
If you look at the Porsche model lineups...
Keep in mind that Porsche operates in a much different environment than most car manufacturers these days

The reason they are able to offer a plethora of options on a variety of models is because they currently have a customer base that is both willing and able to pay for them

Unfortunately, the economic realities for the majority of auto makers today does not allow for this
VTBoss

Good point. . . perhaps mistaken on my part, but I guess I never considered Porsche and BMW as being significantly different in terms marketing and production of quality German sport cars.

I think it's clear that I'm a 'Porsche guy,' but the bigger truth is that I'm a sport car enthusiast who also enjoys BMW products.

Most try to draw comparison to the two brands, whereas I find differences most appealing. Hence my interest in the M2C (and M4).

///AVM
Appreciate 0