BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AutoSolutions M2 Comp Short Shift Kit Quick Review

05-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Does this help with the clunk I experience going into first gear?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:10 AM   #24
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yes, precisely.

That's why he supplies bushings with it.

It's a ten second job to change themy when the shift mech is all out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #25
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Yes, precisely.

That's why he supplies bushings with it.

It's a ten second job to change themy when the shift mech is all out.
Awesome, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #26
wellvrsd
Rep
Drives: M2, Many e30's, 330ci, 335d

Thanks a million for this post, I had been trying to figure out what to do about a short shifter. All the other options I had seen seemed inadequate. I put my order in today.

For anyone else thinking about this shifter, Ronald builds shifters in batches, and he says he's going to be starting a run of M2 shifters early to middle of next week. It's prime time for ordering one.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #27
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellvrsd View Post
Thanks a million for this post, I had been trying to figure out what to do about a short shifter. All the other options I had seen seemed inadequate. I put my order in today.

For anyone else thinking about this shifter, Ronald builds shifters in batches, and he says he's going to be starting a run of M2 shifters early to middle of next week. It's prime time for ordering one.
How much was it?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #28
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

You can't "speed shift" these new BMWs without the shifter gate blocking such action or without possible damaging the synchronizers.

Other than feel, I don't see the need for a short shifter.

It's not race car with a "dog box", it was made with daily driving in mind, which has some play built in.

There's a slightly lighter flywheel for the M2 over the standard manual BMWs but other than that, it's the same exact gearbox.

OP, thanks for the feedback, regardless.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #29
wellvrsd
Rep
Drives: M2, Many e30's, 330ci, 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
How much was it?
$449, optional urethane carrier arm bushings are an additional $49.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #30
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You can't "speed shift" these new BMWs without the shifter gate blocking such action or without possible damaging the synchronizers.

Other than feel, I don't see the need for a short shifter.

It's not race car with a "dog box", it was made with daily driving in mind, which has some play built in.

There's a slightly lighter flywheel for the M2 over the standard manual BMWs but other than that, it's the same exact gearbox.

OP, thanks for the feedback, regardless.
It's all about feel that's it. I've ordered one and it's on the way to the UK this week

After a lot of discussion with Ron I went for 10mm shorter and 20% less throw.

BMW made a "proper" short shift kit for the E9x range with replacement carrier, bearings and a reduced throw shift arm and linkage - it transformed the my 335i IMO that's why I wanted one for the M2C which has a very similar 'box to my old 335i.

It also got rid of that sometimes stodgy feel, made it very clickety-clack feel with all the rubber squidge removed, very nice.

See BMW short shift kit here - why they don't make one for newer models I don;t know?

Last edited by doughboy; 06-15-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9103.00
fixa1.50
      11-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #31
SFM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Performance

I noticed a few folks mentioning a noisy sound coming from the AS SSK with stock knob, but went away when going with a Raceseng, for example. Anyone running M Performance Knob w/ AS SSK with no / minimal sound issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:13 AM   #32
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Mine was most noisy specficially with the M performance shift knob.

Standard knob was OK. Raceseng knob even better.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #33
SFM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine was most noisy specficially with the M performance shift knob.

Standard knob was OK. Raceseng knob even better.
Damn, wanted to grab the Performance. Okay. Hmm. Anyone else running other knobs that aren’t noisy with the SSK?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #34
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

The increased noise is due to parts of the short shifter, as well as any replaced bushings, which are more firm. A heavier, larger shift knob, like some of the ones from Raceseng, can help to reduce the noise, but will also numb the feel a bit.

For me, I welcome the 'noise'. It's not a random noise; it's more communication with the car, and gives you more feedback on what's going on with the engine/tranny.

I prefer the OEM knob to the M-Performance one; mainly because I'm an overhand/partial side-hand shifter.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #35
doughboy
Major General
Rep

i think we are talking about different noises.

I mean a pretty intrusive whirring / ringing noise that is primary shaft speed, the mperformance shift knob amplified this sound. A bit like an electric drill kind of noise. Enough for passengers to ask what it is unless you turn the music up.

not good.

The short shift kit naturally makes the shift MORE notchy and stiff which is both good and bad. A heavy shift knob helps a lot to smooth out the notches without numbing the tight mechanical feel, it doesnt add any flex to the shift just mass and momentum.

it also damps the high frequency whirring / ringing noise that I was getting.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #36
SFM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i think we are talking about different noises.

I mean a pretty intrusive whirring / ringing noise that is primary shaft speed, the mperformance shift knob amplified this sound. A bit like an electric drill kind of noise. Enough for passengers to ask what it is unless you turn the music up.

not good.

The short shift kit naturally makes the shift MORE notchy and stiff which is both good and bad. A heavy shift knob helps a lot to smooth out the notches without numbing the tight mechanical feel, it doesnt add any flex to the shift just mass and momentum.

it also damps the high frequency whirring / ringing noise that I was getting.
yeah, I’m referring to the whir that people got.. sounds like the MPerformance makes this the worst. just trying to see if I’d be ok staying with stock knob. Sounds like would def be ok with Raceseng
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #37
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

I have the stock shifter and very minimal noise after 200 miles. A few more thoughts here: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25642152
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #38
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I haven't seen too many of these installed on the M2, so I thought I'd give a quick review. AutoSolutions is generally known to have made the best SSK for the E46 M3, and probably the best SSK's in general short of (pun intended) something like CAE. The owner, Ron, has an amazing knowledge base and understanding of BMW shifters. I went back and forth with Ron for months, and he finally agreed to make me a SSK for the M2 Comp (but should fit the OG M2 as well). Mine was a bit custom in the throws, feel, and length. I wanted something with noticeably shorter throws and minimal increase in shifting effort. Ron analyzed the weakest parts of BMW's current shifter design, and only replaced the parts that he felt made a significant difference.

I had considered doing the install myself, but so glad I didn't. Performance Technic did the install, and they had to remove the plastic covers, multiple heat shields, and the exhaust; and partially move/drop the transmission and driveshaft. They did an excellent job. Due to the parts this kit replaces, the install is not possible from the top.

The OEM components feel cheap and flimsy in comparison, even though they are not. OEM:

The good stuff:

So how is it? I didn't think BMW's current shifter was too bad, especially compared to older BMW's, that had almost an inch of play while IN GEAR. However, the AutoSolutions SSK makes the OEM one feel mushy and vague. The shifts are extremely solid, precise, and crisp; they feel almost magnetic. There is definitely more connection with the car; everything just feels so much more direct. I did notice a slight increase in engine noise, but I view that as a positive; you have more communication with the car. There is not a noticeable increase in vibrations. This does not feel like an evolutionary improvement of the OEM shifter; it feels completely different, almost revolutionary. It seems even better when you shift fast. I feel like a race car driver I have no problems with the auto-rev-matching. Everything works smoothly. There is a slight increase in shift effort required. But very importantly, it is very easy to shift into first. I already liked the M2 a lot; this makes me like it a lot more.

A quick vid of the shorter throws:

One important thing worth mentioning is that it sits completely centered, the same as OEM, when in neutral. Previous kits for F-series cars from other manufacturers had problems with the shifter not resting properly in neutral, or the knob being twisted. This kit has none of those issues.
Was wondering what reduction you went with in height. Or did you stay with OEM height? Also what reduction in effort? If you went shorter in height, did you find that the arm rest pad interferes with your shifting?
      01-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #39
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Was wondering what reduction you went with in height. Or did you stay with OEM height? Also what reduction in effort? If you went shorter in height, did you find that the arm rest pad interferes with your shifting?
Just to clarify, a short shifter INCREASES the shift effort. It decreases the shifter throw distance.

i.e. a -20% throw reduction will increase shift effort by +20%

If you also have a reduced height this decreases the effective throw and further increases effort.

I went for -20% throw and -10mm height, which works out about -23% throw overall.

But as I now have a Raceseng shift knob, that is a little taller than OE, so I'm about back at OE shift height.

Also, re armrest clash, that is more about your shoulder height as to whether your elbow hits the armrest, a lower shift knob will lower your hand and forearm a little but not your shoulder and elbow of course.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #40
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Quote:
Just to clarify, a short shifter INCREASES the shift effort. It decreases the shifter throw distance.

i.e. a -20% throw reduction will increase shift effort by +20%

If you also have a reduced height this decreases the effective throw and further increases effort.

I went for -20% throw and -10mm height, which works out about -23% throw overall.

But as I now have a Raceseng shift knob, that is a little taller than OE, so I'm about back at OE shift height.

Also, re armrest clash, that is more about your shoulder height as to whether your elbow hits the armrest, a lower shift knob will lower your hand and forearm a little but not your shoulder and elbow of course.
Doughboy summed it up nicely. The shorter throws will result in some increased effort, as will a shorter length shift rod. For the reduced throw, I believe I went with the middle one - about 30%. Ron offered anything from 10% to 45%. I had concerns about shift effort and smoothness. I was planning to get a slightly longer aftermarket shift knob, but instead, I asked Ron if he could actually make the shift rod longer than OEM. I believe mine is maybe 10mm taller than OEM. It was definitely an odd request, but it worked out perfectly for me. I'm using the OEM shift knob, and it feels great. I'd say there is about a ~25% increased effort getting started into a gear from neutral, but once you overcome that initial threshold, it's almost easier to slot into gear. You get used to it pretty quick. For me, I found the perfect balance of shorter throws and slightly increased shifting effort. Snickety snick!

I did try a couple of Raceseng knobs. IMO, their weighted shift knobs are too heavy; they numb the feel. I have their circuit series as well (lighter), and it's too tall. It also just doesn't feel as crisp and direct as the OEM knob. I'm guessing it's because of the threaded adapter you have to use, but I'm not sure. It's a shame; I really like their knobs, and they just came out with some fantastic leather knobs.

As for the armrest, you should have no issues with it, assuming you have no issues with it currently.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #41
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Sort of a related question:

For those of you doing this on a S55 M2C and changing shift knobs-- isn't the boot and the knob one piece?

If so, how did you deal with that to change knobs?

I'm going to do this after my 1200 break-in, but I'm looking at a ZDV knob to replace the OEM one.

Thanks--

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #42
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Sort of a related question:

For those of you doing this on a S55 M2C and changing shift knobs-- isn't the boot and the knob one piece?

If so, how did you deal with that to change knobs?

I'm going to do this after my 1200 break-in, but I'm looking at a ZDV knob to replace the OEM one.

Thanks--

R.
It's not just the S55; it's basically the F-series.

There's not an easy way to deal with this. You just have to fiddle with it to separate the boot from the knob. It's glued on, and there is a plastic ring you have to dislodge. You can pry it off, heat it, break it, etc. Just be slow and meticulous.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #43
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
It's not just the S55; it's basically the F-series.

There's not an easy way to deal with this. You just have to fiddle with it to separate the boot from the knob. It's glued on, and there is a plastic ring you have to dislodge. You can pry it off, heat it, break it, etc. Just be slow and meticulous.
Thanks-- as long as it's doable.

And one last stupid question: I'm assuming that the S55 M2C OEM knob is NOT the same as the weighted ZHP one? They look pretty similar in pictures I've seen.

Again, Thanks.

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #44
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It is definitely doable, and has been done by many

I could be wrong, but I believe it IS the same as the weighted ZHP knob. I had a ZHP shift knob before, and to my (terrible) memory, it looks/feels about the same. It seems BMW listened after all the complaining about the cheap, terrible E9X M3 shift knob.
Appreciate 0