Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That was a terrible review. Not sure if he actually drove it? What Pirelli's? Read like someone did an auto replace with a thesaurus. Terrible.
      06-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Confusing review. Weird comparison with a 2002.

Maybe I'm reading too much in the review or am too biased, but my first impression was that the journalist seems to have experienced the 450hp power output of the M2 CS as a tad too much for this 2er, especially on the Cup2 tires and with treacherous road conditions (but, hey, which high performance car isn't ?). In other words: overpowering the 2er compromised balance. As if BMW went from "spot on" with the 410hp M2C to "off center" or "out of balance" with the 450hp M2 CS. Sounds like reliving the days of the first iterations of the F80 M3 and F82 M4 again (2014): ants in the pants. Or as that awkward BMW M slogan goes: "Too much".

He coins the M2 CS "not the smartest horse in the 2-series corral". Now how to understand that phrase: brute force equals wild antics ? And then who gets this "smartest 2er horse" title according to the journalist ? The M2C (S55) ? The original M2 (N55) ?

Because of "coolness" in "uncaging the tiger", the journalist prefers the M2 CS over the M4. Hm.

Also, the article pitches the question "Is it worth the extra £20k+?". But it doesn't expressly address that question in the verdict (which, moreover, doesn't compare the M2 CS to the M2C, but to a 2002 ?!). Except if we have to read between the lines, again.
"BMW M2 CS: verdict
What unites both the M2 CS and the hottest of 2002 classics so many years ago is the fine art of flow, the elegance of motion and the high school of bonding with the driver. While the older BMW would need to be worked quite a bit harder, it’s not as over-sexed as the CS, which loves to drop in an epic cliff-hanger when you get hot and heavy, albeit protected by four airbags and several dozen electronic controllers.
In short, the top-of-the-range M2 is actually neither the most compelling M product, nor the smartest horse in the 2-series corral. Having said that, I still prefer it by a small margin over the M4 because it uncages the tiger inside with such a ballsy, shameless and gloriously vulgar coolness."
Brief, quite some talking into mysteries.
      06-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He coins the M2 CS "not the smartest horse in the 2-series corral".
He danced around what has been said a thousand times on this forum . . .

"I'll take the M2C for $60K Alex!"

///AVM
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
TProfit81.50
      06-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
He danced around what has been said a thousand times on this forum . . .

"I'll take the M2C for $60K Alex!"

///AVM
I'm pretty sure I took away a similar verdict, but it was a tough and confusing read. They gave the M2C a better review, but compared CS to the M4. They touched on the adaptive suspension, but in reference to jarring tires. The M2C didn't have great brakes, but these are really great. I thought that they are the same. MT good in M2C, but not good in CS. The troll was strong with my post . Maybe not white CS track review good, but good
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

"So, why bother with the CS?

The answer is because you can"

Really, if you're a fan of the M2 or maybe even the 2 Series platform, then why own the apex predator of the lineage.

The M2C comes off as a better value but if you can afford to splurge, to take it up a notch, then why not..
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      06-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm pretty sure I took away a similar verdict, but it was a tough and confusing read. They gave the M2C a better review, but compared CS to the M4. They touched on the adaptive suspension, but in reference to jarring tires. The M2C didn't have great brakes, but these are really great. I thought that they are the same. MT good in M2C, but not good in CS. The troll was strong with my post . Maybe not white CS track review good, but good
Dave

I get it. . . you are jacked to get your new M2CS and these media releases are just a way to share the enthusiasm while you wait . . . and wait . . . and wait.

I am truly excited for you. . . always fun getting a new toy.

He could have just as easily stated the M2CS is 10x better, or worse, than the M2C, M4 or whatever . . . and it would bear no meaning to me.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Like all the unfavorable reviews on the F8X, this one sounds identical to the M4 base's at its initial launch. A little overwhelmingly powerful, unprogressive transition from under to over steer, imbalanced, and difficult to control at limit. And call the combo of those "playful".

Typically Journalists use "rewarding when pushed", "planted in the corner", "strong, responsive and linear power delivery"...to really like a great modern M, which is not the case here.

Quote:
"Directional stability? Yes, but only intermittently once grooves and camber changes get in the way, Russian roulette in the wet due to the low-grip and unprogressive semi-slicks. Handling attitude? Playful, but with little room for error, this explosive mix of initially nose-heavy and then eternally tail-happy is quite obvious in MDM mode and notorious with DSC switched off."
      06-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #9
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Agree it is a strange review. But, whatever...we all know the M2C offers all most people need. If you want a track warrior or just the ultimate M2, step right up! I decided to pass because 1) I've only owned my M2C since June; 2) I can't stand most dealers' attitudes about limitied production BMWs; 3) The M2C is borderline for my Q-car needs as a DD. I don't want any further splitters or spoilers; and 4) The M2C is already too fast for my needs as a DD.

So, all of that said, I can't wait to drool over the first M2CS I see (if I see one)!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 05:46 AM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I wonder if this article was written by an AI algorithm?
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I think the M2 CS will be a real fun and powerful car. Similar to how a 911 Turbo is somewhat based on a 911 Carrera and a GT4 is based on a Cayman, the CS is based on a fun car in the OG M2. It's not a totally new car but a more advanced car of an existing base car.

Having said that, I think people like myself who "only" have a OG M2 will experience the biggest difference. M2 Competition owners will experience a smaller difference as the upgrade may not be worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #12
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I think the M2 CS will be a real fun and powerful car. Similar to how a 911 Turbo is somewhat based on a 911 Carrera and a GT4 is based on a Cayman, the CS is based on a fun car in the OG M2. It's not a totally new car but a more advanced car of an existing base car.

Having said that, I think people like myself who "only" have a OG M2 will experience the biggest difference. M2 Competition owners will experience a smaller difference as the upgrade may not be worth the money.
Having owned a OG M2 for 4 years the logical step for me was the CS as well, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post

Having owned a OG M2 for 4 years the logical step for me was the CS as well, for sure.
Moved from OG to the CS , for sure the power increase , the seats , the roof , the brakes , the suspension , are some nice upgrades. The most significant for me is the engine. And i personally think it worths the upgrade if you have the OG , not the comp .

My main reason that i upgraded tho , its the decision to move from DCT (OG) to the 6MT (CS) . So i had to think on how much more money would i give to upgrade to a Comp and how much would give to upgrade on a CS .

I chose the CS because it ticked all of the boxes i have wished for my one and only sport car in my garage . The limited run , the top of the range of 2 series , those seats with the tricolour , the exclusive colour , the ceramics , that roof and hood , and especially the manual , its probably my last sport car . And one of the last cars as well from BMW that i really like .

We see every generation , cars getting bigger , heavier , some are getting ugly , some xdrive , some hybrid , some only auto . So i really know that i had to get this , considering that the F87 is the first generation M2 , that was also important . For sure keeping that car forever , can't really ask for anything more .

I still have many years to drive electric cars and automatics etc , but for now im keep dreaming for mine to arrive hopefully in the end of this month or early July .

Loved my OG M2 , if i wasnt in love with the F87 , i wouldnt get the CS .. but in general , OG , Competition and CS , are really sensational cars .
GimmeanM1448.50
Poochie9103.00
Altra265.50
cptobvious2531.50
kyrocks1070.50
tranck500.50
      06-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hmm 4/5 lukewarm really but not a great write up or explanation.

Who cares about magazine reviews really anyway.
      06-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #15
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

I do but then who cares about what I think.

If you read their review of the competition, you're left in no doubt they like it a lot (https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...2-competition/) You made a good point on the other thread about not wanting to upset marketing teams and lose your future invites to all expenses paid events - I hope that isn't why their review was so cryptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Who cares about magazine reviews really anyway.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00