BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > 223 - M2C Street/Track Build

05-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #89
Wixer02
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2021 M2C

Thanks OG. Appreciate the photos / info - super helpful. The cage looks great as well.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      06-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #90
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Some pics from the CFD & aero work we have been doing!

Appreciate 3
Fabb228.50
GjXray111.50
      06-02-2022, 10:55 AM   #91
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post

If that wing gets any taller I might not be able to keep it in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 11:55 AM   #92
M2C KCMO
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Do you do full cages as well for m2c?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #93
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C KCMO View Post
Do you do full cages as well for m2c?
Yes we do. Full cages, full builds, everything from start to finish. Cages are built per your desired rule set and with the weight of these cars our preferred material is Docol R8 1.75" x 0.095" - of which I have a couple thousand feet in stock right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 07:11 PM   #94
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Do I spy some other fun in the works in these images?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 08:02 PM   #95
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Do I spy some other fun in the works in these images?
Hmmm - not sure?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #96
///393
Captain
Rep

Front splitter and fenders caught my eye…
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:03 PM   #97
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Front splitter and fenders caught my eye…
Ah ok - yeah that was what was being modeled there. Trying to get as efficient a setup as we can together. Looking forward to testing it out on track this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #98
OG Shark
Rep

Phase 2 Installed!!!

After achieving our time goal with basic bolt-ons it was time to really have fun with this car! The theme is still very much a street friendly car but now allowing for a little bit more NVH than before. With the previous phase I did not tolerate any increase as the priority was to see how far we could push oem level (or better) ride characteristics and still perform on the track. Now we have opened that up a bit but still have a car that is very tolerable on the street - definitely still daily driver level.

NEW BUILD SPECS
Full Race drop in turbos
Wagner intercooler
do88 coolers
do88 intake
iPE midpipe & rear section
Active Autowerke catted downpipes
Bend Calibration flex fuel kit & tuning
EU5 injectors
Precision Raceworks stage 3 brushless LPFP
Nitron NTR R3 (our custom OGSM spec kit)
SPL - all the arms
KMP diff bracket
Revshift motor & trans mounts
Essex/AP Racing brake kits front & rear
Ferodo 3.12 pads
Signature Wheels - various models
Yeti Racecraft/OGSM aero package collaboration
OGSM half cage
Cobra Nogaro seats
Safecraft 6pt harnesses

So we are definitely looking for more horsepower and grip out this car moving forward - and it has definitely delivered. The weight is still up there - pushing 3750 w/driver () but the performance on track is already outstanding - and we haven't had any time for suspension tuning & still working on the engine tune. We went back out to COTA a couple of weekends ago for a big BMW CCA event (club racing, time trials, & HPDE). Unfortunately the racing & time trial sessions were almost always back to back so I didn't get to put in as many laps in the M2 during TT that I would have liked. The ambient temps were 105+ in the afternoon - and the racing would take quite a bit out of me to the point that hot seating between the cars wasn't that desirable. Sunday morning was really the only time I pushed the car a bit in its new full trim. Managed a 2:21.115 while botching turn 11 a bit. Other than that the lap was fairly clean but not 10/10ths yet as I still need to a little more time to find the limits since they increased again. Temps were around 90 at that time and I was running Yoko A005 A40 slicks on the front & Pirelli DH on the rear (more on that later). The suspension still needs some dialing in - definitely more body roll than I prefer but that is exactly what we were trying to find out this weekend. Also first time on track with the new turbos and LPFP so our first big step in track tuning happened over the weekend. At this point though I see no reason that this car will not be in the teens at COTA soon - and that will put it in the mix with some stupid fast cars out there.

Appreciate 4
      06-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #99
bkd705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

That wing isn't they Yeti wing you're working on is it? I miss the spiky endplates.

How was the aero balance with the bigger wing and no splitter? Really trying to figure out an aero package for the M2 myself and its tough out here. Jealous of the Supra guys with their off the shelf CFD'd parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #100
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd705 View Post
That wing isn't they Yeti wing you're working on is it? I miss the spiky endplates.

How was the aero balance with the bigger wing and no splitter? Really trying to figure out an aero package for the M2 myself and its tough out here. Jealous of the Supra guys with their off the shelf CFD'd parts.
Beat me to it - getting ready to do a write up on the aero
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #101
OG Shark
Rep

Aero

If you have run through any higher speed corners in the F87 you know the rear can be a bit twitchy with the somewhat shorter wheelbase vs a lot of other popular track platforms. This platform can majorly benefit from effective aero on the track. Knowing the speeds we will be pushing in the car and the grip levels we would be able to achieve putting together a good aero package has been a priority. With this being a street car though the components need to be quickly removable (an effective splitter for the track will last about two minutes on the street - and I'm not going to be that guy that rocks a full 72" wing on the street either). We have been working with Yeti Racecraft to design and implement this package for the F87 (ie the previous testing pics). The result - a very effective package that tested well but still needs a bit more polishing to be complete

THE SPLITTER

For the splitter I want to pair it with a good looking, well constructed, & commonly available upper lip. This part is not necessary as an air dam can be implemented to fill the gap - but I prefer the look of having a carbon lip. For this the Diverged Concepts upper lip works perfectly. A bonus is the flat bottom that mates up well with our splitter.

Our splitter design was the result of Yeti's CFD work. The design of the splitter & end plates proved very effective so this was our first choice to test on the track. With the help of Brian from Yeti we actually built this splitter over the course of the race weekend and tested it on Sunday at COTA. Went out & ran a new PB on the first lap with it on despite the need to dial in the suspension to account for the new aero. The material we used for the test version was tegris but the final version will have multiple material choices. Also even though this is meant for strictly track work the design can still be a bit "much" - a more traditional version is in the works as well. Will not be as efficient but still highly effective. Now that we have proof of concept will be finalizing the quick connect mechanisms too.

THE WING

The wing was the part that made me the most nervous going in. With the desire for it to be easy on/off we are going with a reinforced trunk mount. The issue is we are running a full 72" wing in order to be as efficient as it can - and that creates a lot of downforce at high speeds. Originally we were going to run an AJH Fulcrum 14 using our custom mounts fixed to a BMW Motorsport trunk. At the last minute we backed down from that wing - it is an excellent piece but worried it would be too much for this type of mount to handle. We quickly moved to our backup plan - a swan neck mount APR GT250. We are designing our own mounts moving forward but for this trip we utilized their kit. We also kept with the Motorsport trunk and bolted it down using the existing mounting holes. We then reinforced the mounts on the interior of the trunk. I was still a bit nervous as this wing still creates a lot of downforce at 160+ mph that the cars hits on the back straight of COTA. Perfect test for it though as this is exactly what we are trying to find out - how the trunk will hold up with this much force applied to it.

THE VERDICT

The aero was very well balanced and the car is much more stable everywhere. COTA provides a few high speed cornering areas where a good aero package can really add speed. The grip improvement was noticeable as we moved throughout the weekend to ultimately running the track splitter on the last session. The splitter design is solid and ready for the quick connect to be finalized. The wing still needs a bit more work though. Overall I'm very pleased with its performance - but there was an extremely slight deformation on the trunk. Although it would not get worse from there and imperfection is not acceptable so we have revised the mount. Actually moving away from the Motorsport trunk and the mounting holes are too close together and allow for a very slight bit of flex front to back despite any additional reinforcement. As such we are sticking with the oem trunk and the new design will be made to work with it and still be removeable. Will be back at COTA next month for some more 160+mph testing of the new wing mount!
Appreciate 6
      07-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #102
OG Shark
Rep

Update

Was able to get another run in out at COTA a couple of weeks ago. Really fun event which starts in the afternoon and then lets you get a couple of sessions in at night. Driving at night is an absolute blast - the challenge of being able to match (or improve) on your daytime laps adds a whole new aspect to track days. Still extremely hot in the afternoon here (100* ambient) so as the track cools a bit at night should in theory be faster. I was able to match my daytime laps but the track had definitely become quicker even though ambients only dropped a bit over 10*. The takeaway though was that I still needed some work on establishing braking zone references as the car was definitely improved in the bit better conditions. Still was happy with that and good to work on next time. Will be pursuing some night racing though as it is pure joy pushing the car in the dark like that.

Was able to get some good laps in this event and start to feel out the car in its current setup. Started to dial in the dampers and really balance out the car. Did have a couple of major takeaways for the car for this event:

Brakes - the AP's have performed extremely well as expected - but I think we are getting to the pace that we need to look at ducts. The evidence:

And the rotors have gone nuclear... COTA is extremely hard on brakes which makes for an excellent testbed of the car's performance. This particular corner is a stop from a vmax of 164mph to about 40mph. The brakes held up well but the amount of heat being generated is a becoming a bit concerning as the car is only going to get faster from here. We have reached this point with this car that it's combination of speed and weight is pushing the limits of even the APs. As a rule I avoid brake ducts until absolutely necessary - they are a pain on the street and not worth the aero hit if not necessary. This amount of heat is not optimal though and we are going start making the changes necessary to help reduce it.

Weight - this car still being a very heavy street car is definitely hurting us. Unfortunately there is not much we can do but we will try to help where we can. New hood, fenders, and roof are going on the car. Not as much loss as would like to see but as much as I'm willing to do on this car in the front. The low hanging fruit of items like AC, interior, etc removal are not an option as this is still a comfortable street car. Every little bit helps though so replacing those noted bits.

Fun - this car is freaking fast - and an absolute joy to drive One of the best things about tracking to me has always been the people - and events like these where we can take passengers are a blast. Again some evidence:

Engine & Transmission - I think it is time that we address the weak points in the engine and transmission. We are pushing extremely hard at solid power numbers now and getting into the territory of pushing the oem limits. Carrillo rods & mahle pistons are on the way as are SSP clutches. Before we get back out on track these will be installed. Power numbers will only be going up from here so its time to move on this.

We have a few other things to address with the car so its a good time to shut it down until cooler temps arrive. When it resurfaces the biggest outward change will be the look. With all the carbon fiber bits going to need to wrap the car to clean up the look. Also still tweaking our aero package based on the data from the high speed runs out at COTA (but getting close!). Excited to see where this car is in the fall!

Some random pics from the last event:

Appreciate 1
      07-29-2022, 01:02 PM   #103
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

looks ike you need the CS Racing brake duct setup now...

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:04 PM   #104
F30_320D_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D M-Sport

Always love the updates on this beast. Nice one. Astonishing results, and always the sickest pics!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      07-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #105
///393
Captain
Rep

How’s the Full-Race turbo doing? Any idea what kinda power it’s making at this point?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 01:56 PM   #106
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
looks ike you need the CS Racing brake duct setup now...
Trying to avoid adding holes to the front bumper (at least for this reason...) but yeah these are definitely an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_320D_UK View Post
Always love the updates on this beast. Nice one. Astonishing results, and always the sickest pics!
Much appreciated!!!

Quote:
How’s the Full-Race turbo doing? Any idea what kinda power it’s making at this point?
Very happy with them especially combined with Bend Calibration's tune - solid power & excellent track characteristics. I do not know how much power we have right now but would guess around 550 at the wheels in these extremely hot ambient temps we have run in the last couple of times. Thinking closer to 600 in more friendly conditions. After we finish building the motor will do a dyno pull.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:58 PM   #107
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Since you have a cage have you removed the rear seat belts? Thoughts on replacing the battery with a lightweight option? I can understand keeping the carpets and all that. What passenger seat are you running - stock or bucket? Thoughts on lighter bucket seats like Recaro? How heavy is your exhaust? You can always try something like Akra for those extra few pounds. Wheels? If you go with something forged like Volk Racing for example it's like 17-18lb per (I'm assuming your current wheels aren't forged but ignore me if I'm wrong!).
      08-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #108
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Since you have a cage have you removed the rear seat belts? Thoughts on replacing the battery with a lightweight option? I can understand keeping the carpets and all that. What passenger seat are you running - stock or bucket? Thoughts on lighter bucket seats like Recaro? How heavy is your exhaust? You can always try something like Akra for those extra few pounds. Wheels? If you go with something forged like Volk Racing for example it's like 17-18lb per (I'm assuming your current wheels aren't forged but ignore me if I'm wrong!).
OEM battery - one of those is worse weight distribution worth the absolute overall decrease decisions. In this case with as much power as we are running (and looking to run down the line) removing weight in the rear might be counterproductive. An option we have been thinking about but have not moved on. Seats are both Cobra Nogaros. Running an iPE exhaust which is already considerably lighter than oem and sounds awesome - not much savings to be gained with an Akra system and not worth the hit to the sound quality imo. All wheel sets we run are from Signature Wheel and are forged. Already light & extremely durable - and in sizes much better suited for track work.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #109
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I love that you are still rocking the orange side markers.

Usually the first mod for most people, in your case first mods are shit that actually matters

As far as lightness, is the trunk carbon as well?
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      08-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #110
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I love that you are still rocking the orange side markers.

Usually the first mod for most people, in your case first mods are shit that actually matters

As far as lightness, is the trunk carbon as well?
Ha yeah I actually have the painted markers floating around somewhere in the shop - just keep forgetting to put them on . At this point that likely won't happen until the car is wrapped.

No on the cf trunk. We originally started working our wing mounts with the motorsport trunk but have since moved to the oem trunk - so that has taken precedence the weight loss. Also comes back to removing weight over the rear on an already high powered rwd car & where you remove weight being just as important as the amount of weight being removed. Might be an interesting experiment down the line though after we have finalized our current aero package - but would likely require us making our own cf trunk. Test to see how that effects lap times.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50