BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2018 LCI restarting after I hit stop button

01-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

2018 LCI restarting after I hit stop button

So, I tried searching this and wasn't finding exactly what I was needing.

Here's the problem...

1st time: Coast into garage in neutral. Put in neutral, park brake up, pushed stop button and stayed in car to mess with presets, etc. After 10 minutes, the car restarted! On its own! Freaked me out! Auto start/stop function on.

Did some reading.. Ok, so I need to push the start/stop button twice.

Today, coast into garage... Put in 1st gear, pull emergency brake, push start/stop twice. Hit center unlock button, go to open my door. Handle almost caught weird like it needed to be unlocked, but then as I opened the door, the ignition started! Auto start/stop function off.

What the heck's going on??

PS. This is a manual tranny.
      01-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post
Put in 1st gear, pull emergency brake, push start/stop twice. Hit center unlock button, go to open my door. Handle almost caught weird like it needed to be unlocked, but then as I opened the door, the ignition started!
If you shut the car off and left it in 1st gear and then it started itself wouldn't it lunge forward and stall? Was your foot still on the clutch pedal?
Appreciate 3
SConn180.00
randyt224.50
      01-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

The auto start/stop button is just above the button to shut the car off. Is it possible you are hitting the auto start/stop and not actually shutting the car off? Then auto start/stop turns car off and it restarts when you do anything like take your foot off the brake or touch the steering wheel? Far fetched but I know from my M3, I've hit the auto start/stop button by mistake when I was going to shut the car off.
Appreciate 3
SConn180.00
AndrewC198910903.50
randyt224.50
      01-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
If you shut the car off and left it in 1st gear and then it started itself wouldn't it lunge forward and stall? Was your foot still on the clutch pedal?
Nope... Foot was off the pedal both times. I don't know how to explain it other than "it's restarting". It's similar to the auto start/stop at a light. It's basically doing this after I hit the stop button.

There was a notification on the dash today that said "Ignition on" or something like that after it restarted. Again, I had turned that feature off.
      01-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
The auto start/stop button is just above the button to shut the car off. Is it possible you are hitting the auto start/stop and not actually shutting the car off? Then auto start/stop turns car off and it restarts when you do anything like take your foot off the brake or touch the steering wheel? Far fetched but I know from my M3, I've hit the auto start/stop button by mistake when I was going to shut the car off.
Actually that's not far fetched at all! Jeez that may be exactly what I'm doing! At least today. The other day, I'm not sure what happened.

I'll try being more exact when I shut off the engine next time and see if that's it.

Thanks a bunch!
      01-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Lol

Just hit the round one bro!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Lol

Just hit the round one bro!
Yeah, the round button both starts and stops the engine. The smaller button with a light above it is for activating and deactivating the auto start/stop
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
So, I tried searching this and wasn't finding exactly what I was needing.

Here's the problem...

1st time: Coast into garage in neutral. Put in neutral, park brake up, pushed stop button and stayed in car to mess with presets, etc. After 10 minutes, the car restarted! On its own! Freaked me out! Auto start/stop function on.

Did some reading.. Ok, so I need to push the start/stop button twice.

Today, coast into garage... Put in 1st gear, pull emergency brake, push start/stop twice. Hit center unlock button, go to open my door. Handle almost caught weird like it needed to be unlocked, but then as I opened the door, the ignition started! Auto start/stop function off.

What the heck's going on??

PS. This is a manual tranny.
Make a video of your process when shutting off the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lol... You guys, I'm not an idiot. I realize it's the round one. I can't actually see the button from where I sit. I just go to it and push.

I'm not even saying that's what the problem is. I said it's possible that's what I'm doing. All we have is push start vehicles. I know how to work them just fine. But you can't tell me that BMW doesn't make things way more complicated than they need to be.

Who else has a door handle that requires it to be pulled twice? I mean, come on.
      01-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Lol... You guys, I'm not an idiot. I realize it's the round one. I can't actually see the button from where I sit. I just go to it and push.

I'm not even saying that's what the problem is. I said it's possible that's what I'm doing. All we have is push start vehicles. I know how to work them just fine. But you can't tell me that BMW doesn't make things way more complicated than they need to be.

Who else has a door handle that requires it to be pulled twice? I mean, come on.
By the way, you can code a lot of these quirky things out. For instance, I have my car unlock doors when I shut the ignition, no seat belt beeps, no Nav warning, etc. If you are uncomfortable reprogramming it yourself, there are a lot of services/folks that can do it for you. I had mine done by some local guy with my previous car but did it myself this time. Lots of directions on here.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
The problem is that you need to have your foot on the brake when you hit the start/stop button. At least it is that way in a DCT M2.
Appreciate 2
SConn180.00
akkando5860.00
      01-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
By the way, you can code a lot of these quirky things out. For instance, I have my car unlock doors when I shut the ignition, no seat belt beeps, no Nav warning, etc. If you are uncomfortable reprogramming it yourself, there are a lot of services/folks that can do it for you. I had mine done by some local guy with my previous car but did it myself this time. Lots of directions on here.
Already have my obd2 port coming and I'll be coding some stuff once it gets here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The problem is that you need to have your foot on the brake when you hit the start/stop button. At least it is that way in a DCT M2.
Actually, I believe you might have solved it. I've only had this happen twice and both times it was after I pulled the car into the garage. I just coasted in, pulled the brake (except today I put it in 1st gear to see if that was the issue, but I bet uli pulled the hand brake and put it into gear since again, I coasted in) and pushed the button.

I don't believe my foot was on the brake either time I pushed the button. And that would also explain why it's only happened at home in the garage.

I'll be trying this next time to see if that's the issue. Thanks!!