BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Is it worth getting PPF?

01-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 AW DCT

Is it worth getting PPF?

So I know this question depends on how long I'd keep it, I plan to probably keep it 4minm, 5 max. The asking price in Houston is from 1300-1900 for full front. I know what they do but they're very expensive and I also have an AW so it might yellow. Just wanted some other people opinions. I know this isn't a Ferrari. The car is my DD.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Since you only plan to keep the car for 4-5 years, it probably doesn't want to make sense. You're basically just preserving the paint for the next owner. If you have OCD and the thought of paint / rock chips actually going to bother you, then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I have never gotten PPF on any of my BMWs. It also does not add to the resale value.

So my opinion is no. It is not worth it. My M2 is also AW.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Do you like the front end of your car perfect without chips or scratches for the price of PPF and the peace of mind it brings (you'll have like new front end for your entire ownership period)? If yes buy. If no then deal with the damage and save your money.
Appreciate 1
tranck500.50
      01-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

It's worth it to me. I skipped it on a previous car and it drove me nuts seeing all the chips in my front bumper when I washed it. BMW paint seems to be thicker and of better quality than some other manufacturers, so the damage might not be as bad. You can skip it, but you will definitely get rock chips. You just have to be okay with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Someone on the inside lane drove over the remains of a wooden pallet. What was left bounced into my lane and dented the bumper. PPF would not have saved the day...

Last edited by M Fifty; 01-19-2019 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
I PPF'd all our cars. Currently we have 3 AW. When my son had his 2016 M235 we had full bumper, full hood, full fenders, lights and mirrors done in 3M Pro (supposedly). I wasn't happy as it started to yellow and 3M was great about it and redid it. Our 2016 X5 has full bumper, "partial" hood and fenders also done in 3M Pro. I wasn't happy with that either and that thing sits in the garage. When I got my daughter the 2017 230 I decided to try something different. I did her car full bumper, full hood, full fenders, lights and mirrors in Xpel Ultimate. I was so impressed with the "clarity" and we've had that on her car for 1.5 years and still looks like new. I was so impressed I did the full coverage on my Jeep GC and got the same great results.

So before we took delivery of the M2 I had dealership do the Xpel Ultimate full coverage on his car. Once again, the clarity is outstanding and the dealership's installer did the best job I'd ever seen. At one point I asked if they forgot to PPF his car! This was the first time I had the dealership do it and by far it was the best I've seen.

The PPF is awesome in our particular case. We live in Canada and we have 4 seasons that our cars drive through. Our cars are also on the highway all the time and that front end takes a lot of abuse. We also drive our cars to the cottage and wiping off the bug spatter is easy...I never worry about getting to it right away. The front end is so much easier to wash with the PPF and it always looks good.

My wife is getting a new X5 in Sapphire Black (going to change it up this time vs the AW) and that thing will get the full coverage done by our dealership before they deliver it. My Jeep prior to the one I have was black and that thing was the cottage runner. That thing was not PPF'd and it looked it. I hated washing the front end as the bumper was pitted. The hood was fine but the Jeep GC sits up high.

My reco if you decide that's what you want to do is go for the full bumper, hood, fenders, lights and mirrors. Don't do partial hood and fenders. In the case of the 2016 X5 AW I can see the separation and colour difference on the hood. Mind you that was when I did both the 2016 M235 and X5 at the same time with the installer using the same 3M Pro. Was it a defective film or is it 3M. Like I said 3M was great and replaced the film on my son's M235 but the replacement film on the car was on it for less than a year before getting the M2. So I'm not sure if it would have held up.

I now have Xpel Ultimate on 3 vehicles and soon there will be 4.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

One thing to think about that isn't immediately apparent is the increased cost of repairs in the case of an accident or vandalism.

My M2 was in an accident and after it's repair has to to another shop for xpel. So we figure an additional 3-5 weeks for the shop to order the xpel, have an opening to install it, and install it. Additionally, the shop that repaired the damage had to remove the hood, trunk, rear bumper, and roof xpel to blend the paint (which I don't think blended was nessessary because the car was 5 months old), but that is additional xpel that needs to be reinstalled.

Rock chips, scratches, whatever normal wear and tear on the paint, might be cheaper to have the car refinished every 2 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

I don't even have a screen protector on my phone.

Ppf works but I personally have a few things were ppf wouldn't have helped. (scratched leading edge of front bumper on a diagonal parking curb in the pouring rain yesterday) Rather use the money on track days
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
Steveng01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 120i

I also have a AW M2. I thought about PPF for a while (who doesn’t like their cars to look perfect tight). Then after seeing some cars with aged PPF, I changed my mind. They look worse than chipped paint. Also why preserve the look for the next owner and you stick with the aged yollowish PPF while owning the car? Doesn’t make any sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveng01 View Post
I also have a AW M2. I thought about PPF for a while (who doesn’t like their cars to look perfect tight). Then after seeing some cars with aged PPF, I changed my mind. They look worse than chipped paint. Also why preserve the look for the next owner and you stick with the aged yollowish PPF while owning the car? Doesn’t make any sense to me.
The idea is it's nice for you. Makes no sense to trash something just because someone else might use it someday. Would you not want you house to be nice because then the next owner will enjoy the house you didn't destroy? The biggest benefit is to you, the current owner.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveng01 View Post
XPEL Ultimate Plus is guaranteed for 10 years from yellowing.

Not sure what brand you were looking at or how long ago it was done.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #13
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcus View Post
The car is my DD.
Then it's worth doing at least the hood, bumper and headlights (which should cost around $1250). Those areas are going to take the most abuse from the cars in front of you kicking up crap on the road. My recommendation would be to get a thicker film like Expel Ultimate installed. People may try to sell you on SunTek saying it has less orange peel, looks better, yatayatayata. Ignore that. The thicker the better. Have had my car wrapped in both films for two years now. Did the front in Expel and the sides and rear in SunTek. Only damage ever I've ever sustained was on a rear fender wrapped in the SunTek. The front tire must've kicked up a rock into the fender. Tore a nice gash in the film but luckily the paint was fine. The Expel on the other hand is like body armor. It's meant to save your car from debris hitting it, not just people leaning up against it. It's way better in my opinion and if I could go back in time i'd wrap the entire car in Expel.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 12:30 AM   #14
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 AW DCT

re

wow lots of good comments, I think i might just do a partial full front: full hood+bumper as people say those are like literally the most hit spots and as from my experience as well. I drive on the interstate daily 30-32 miles/day so should be worth it. I think may be a full front might not be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:40 AM   #15
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

My M2 is a year old. Had Xpel Ultimate put on the front bumper, hood, both doors and A panel. Also had the area right below the trunk covered.

Car still looks like brand new! I have a friend with an M2 of similar age, and his has numerous paint chips... they're not that noticable unless you look close, but he tells me that they do bother him. I feel the same way.

I plan to keep my M2 for at least five years, probably longer. For the cost, I should have a car that looks very close to how it looked on day one!

Oh... it started to peel in a few areas, and two white spots showed up after about two months. My installer replaced it, no questions asked! Great product, and great service! (Make sure to view a car that's been clear bra'd, by the installer you're considering, BEFORE you have them work on your car!

My installer spent three days on my car, and worked only on my car during that time. He also had excellent overhead lighting, and has done installing for about four or five years.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #16
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Just cover the spots that are commonly impacted. Most PPF shops call this a track package.

If you're borderline OCD about damage to your vehicle, it's definitely worth the money. I haven't found a single chip or ding in any of the areas I protected. By now with every other car I've owned the hood and front bumper would be covered.

Also, someone hit my car (very lightly) and all it did was scuff the wrap. That stuff is tough.

I don't think the "if you're only going to own the car x years" argument is very good.

A) I don't want to see a sandblasted bumper for 3+ years.
B) Dealers will definitely try to argue down trade in value because of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:57 AM   #17
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
It's all about peace of mind and what that's worth to you. The car come ready to drive from the factory, it doesn't need any modifications (wheel, suspension, exhaust, tint, or PPF) what so ever. So, if you are driving it to work tomorrow and a stone on the road is 'shot' at your hood by a passing truck and chips the paint, the question you have to ask yourself, is "will that chip bother me?" If the answer is "no, I'll never think about it again" then you should save the money but if the answer is "yes, I'll 'see' it every time I look at the car" then spending the money is the way to go:

4 years - $1300 to $1900 = $0.80 to $1.30 a day
5 years - $1300 to $1900 = $0.71 to $1.04 a day

As you are planning to 'only' keep the car 4~5 years max, you need it to be in the best condition possible so in the long run, it will likely pay for itself.
      01-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #18
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
wow lots of good comments, I think i might just do a partial full front: full hood+bumper as people say those are like literally the most hit spots and as from my experience as well. I drive on the interstate daily 30-32 miles/day so should be worth it. I think may be a full front might not be worth it.
Don't forget the headlights. Those plastic lenses will start look like shit in a few years if you don't wrap them. Ask me how I know.
      01-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #19
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

(sorry... couldn't resist....)
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      01-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Don't forget the headlights. Those plastic lenses will start look like shit in a few years if you don't wrap them. Ask me how I know.
I agree. Do the lights!
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #21
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

No, you have to change it and can yellow too.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #22
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute View Post
No, you have to change it and can yellow too.
"XPEL warrants XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS™ / STEALTH™ Paint Protection Film to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ten (10) years from the date of purchase. Covered defects include: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating."

https://www.xpel.com/warranty-information
Appreciate 1