BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C suspension: better than the one of the OG M2?

01-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

M2C suspension: better than the one of the OG M2?

Hi all,
For those of you that owns a M2C and had an OG M2 before, does the M2C suspension seem to you significantly better than the one of the OG M2? IMO, the stock suspension of the OG M2 is way too jumpy from the back, which forced me to install the M-perf coilovers. I read in a journal that the M2C has the same dampers than the OG M2, but re-tuned by BMW to make the suspension less jumpy and more precise. Is it BS or it is true?

Last edited by Io; 01-19-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I have both M2's and drive them back to back regularly. While I know the part numbers are the same on the dampers it doesn't mean there couldn't be updates. Also, having the big aluminum bracing from the M3/M4 in the front along with the strut brace makes a big impact. The car feels far more "planted" and has less of a tendency to bounce around. Also not mentioned as often is the tuning of the steering which feels more natural and progressive also. It's still playful like the OG M2 but more buttoned down overall.

Last edited by windnsea00; 01-19-2019 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 5
ChrisK4449.00
Miata1385.50
Robin_NL8679.50
devo755.00
M-Pilot4859.00
      01-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
grinch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
I have both M2's and drive them back to back regularly. While I know the part numbers are the same on the dampers it doesn't mean there couldn't be updates. Also, having the rear subframe solid mounted and the big aluminum bracing in the front along with the strut brace makes a big impact. The car feels far more "planted" and has less of a tendency to bounce around. Also not mentioned as often is the tuning of the steering which feels more natural and progressive also. It's still playful like the OG M2 but more buttoned down overall.
totally agree
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
I have both M2's and drive them back to back regularly. While I know the part numbers are the same on the dampers it doesn't mean there couldn't be updates. Also, having the rear subframe solid mounted and the big aluminum bracing in the front along with the strut brace makes a big impact. The car feels far more "planted" and has less of a tendency to bounce around. Also not mentioned as often is the tuning of the steering which feels more natural and progressive also. It's still playful like the OG M2 but more buttoned down overall.
Rear subframe being directly bolted to car body is the same for OG M2 and M2Comp
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Rear subframe being directly bolted to car body is the same for OG M2 and M2Comp
Thanks, corrected.
      01-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Since not one could clearly answer the enigma of the 'better' handling M2C as oppose to the M2, despite both sharing identical parts, I believe I might of cracked this mystery.

The alignment settings are different between the two vehicles; the M2C being more toed-in for more neutral and stable handling. This combined with the new EPS software and a little more intricate strut brace are the reasons why M2C responds subjectively different or better.

This is only logical explanation, as I've double check; the M2 and M2C's suspensions pieces are mechanically the same.

Funny how something simple as alignment setting can change the overall outlook of a vehicle.
Appreciate 2
mikeahso411.50
      01-20-2019, 01:32 AM   #7
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Since not one could clearly answer the enigma of the 'better' handling M2C as oppose to the M2, despite both sharing identical parts, I believe I might of cracked this mystery.

The alignment settings are different between the two vehicles; the M2C being more toed-in for more neutral and stable handling. This combined with the new EPS software and a little more intricate strut brace are the reasons why M2C responds subjectively different or better.

This is only logical explanation, as I've double check; the M2 and M2C's suspensions pieces are mechanically the same.

Funny how something simple as alignment setting can change the overall outlook of a vehicle.
I hear you, but find it hard to believe. The ride is just much more smooth than the prior car. When I asked bmw NA, they told me the suspension was “tuned” and it was made “more relaxed”. That’s what they said. I tend to agree. No way a toe setting is going to impact ride quality.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 01:41 AM   #8
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Quote:

I hear you, but find it hard to believe. The ride is just much more smooth than the prior car. When I asked bmw NA, they told me the suspension was "tuned" and it was made "more relaxed". That's what they said. I tend to agree. No way a toe setting is going to impact ride quality.
I was just throwing that out there based on what I just learned. I believe in High School they used to call that a hypothesis.

I don't doubt you guys that the sensation is different, especially since you actually had both cars, back to back but I'm just trying to find the logical reason why.

A vehicle is a bunch of parts slapped together to a steel frame, no voodoo magic trick involved, so if you really care, you can break its intricacies down to a science..

So we'll figure it out..
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      01-20-2019, 01:42 AM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

What are the alignment specs of both OGm2 and M2Comp?
      01-20-2019, 02:02 AM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What are the alignment specs of both OGm2 and M2Comp?

I don't have the M2C detail alignment specs. Anyone who do, feel free to share it.

Just a review I was watching mentioned that the LCI M2 and M2C has different specs. He confirmed it when at a wheel shop, before getting an alignment.

I can't confirm this simply because I would never have a local shop set my alignment.

I heard that a proper BMW OEM alignment requires wheel weights, like physical bags of sand, to place on each seat, to simulate a sitting passenger.

Plus the machine for setting the targets is done by laser measurement. A mom and pops shop won't invest in those kind of equipment, which the dealer has.

Plus the EPS and alignment tricky to set right.

I don't believe the dealer will give you a copy of the OEM specs but a local shop might.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:13 AM   #11
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

No difference… anyone saying otherwise is incorrect for sure … Most likely placebo effect
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:21 AM   #12
grinch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
No difference… anyone saying otherwise is incorrect for sure … Most likely placebo effect
It is not placebo. all of us who have had OG M2 and M2C clearly perceive it
Appreciate 5
devo755.00
M-Pilot4859.00
akkando5860.00
BFLY78.50
      01-20-2019, 03:10 AM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch View Post
How many miles are on the OG? I noticed a huge difference replacing dampers with 40k miles on them with the same OEM part number.

Not disagreeing, but I’m curious as to how to explain this difference given that BMW hasn’t changed the part numbers on anything.

Seems unlikely the front strut brace would have this much impact.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:28 AM   #14
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Just because the part numbers are the same doesn't mean the damper hasn't been re-valved or something. The M-Adaptive suspension in the M235i had completely different valving to the M-Adaptive option available on the 228i. Was this reflected in the part numbers?

Just seems odd that NO retuning would be done when the cars have different weight distributions etc. May be nothing major (not worthy of a marketing campaign), but something will have been tweaked.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:52 AM   #15
grinch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
How many miles are on the OG? I noticed a huge difference replacing dampers with 40k miles on them with the same OEM part number.

Not disagreeing, but I’m curious as to how to explain this difference given that BMW hasn’t changed the part numbers on anything.

I bought it brand new and I sold it with 8,000kms
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

If BMW made a simple 'valve' change in a $100 shock absorber but not revise the part number for some reason, yet it still makes such a discernible difference in handling in the M2C, more power to BMW M guys

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:16 AM   #17
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
The M2C has a different subframe and differential mount part numbers.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch View Post

Not disagreeing, but I'm curious as to how to explain this difference given that BMW hasn't changed the part numbers on anything.

For the record, I been ordering BMW parts for years and one thing I've notice is that any changes to parts, accompanies a new part number to match. It keeps their quality and parts control more structured.

Few years ago, when an LSD was an M Performance option on the standard BMWs, I made an active thread confirming that BMW changed the part number, for the same exact unit, simply because they had reduce the MSRP by $400 and nothing else mechanically had change.

I seriously doubt if they revised anything within the dampers, they wouldn't change the part number, to keep with their MO.

#JustSaying
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      01-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #19
trebled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i & BMW M2 DCT

I am sure they have changed some of the bushes too, can't remember if they have rose-jointed some of them. That will make quite a difference too and will accentuate changes like the strut brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #20
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebled View Post
I am sure they have changed some of the bushes too, can't remember if they have rose-jointed some of them. That will make quite a difference too and will accentuate changes like the strut brace.
Also, a lot of people don't realize under all the plastic shrouding there is the aluminum bracing against the firewall from the M3/M4.

Anyway, I just took my OG M2 to SF and back (from LA) and then hopped in my M2C, it's very clear the difference in how it rides and feels between the two. I'm not sure why so many people keep trying to negate this when they likely haven't driven the two back to back.
cptobvious2531.50
AlpsRider2857.50
M-Pilot4859.00
bplewis24188.50
FrozenGT1109.00
BFLY78.50
      01-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #21
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Quote:
The M2C has a different subframe and differential mount part numbers.
Rear subframe and rear diff mount is common part no for OGm2 and m2 Comp so doubt that's the reason why m2c feels more tied down that OGm2.
Attached Images

01-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #22
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebled View Post
I'm not sure why so many people keep trying to negate this when they likely haven't driven the two back to back.
No one is trying to steal your sunshine; just merely attempting to pinpoint why and how the two vehicles mechanically differ (or are alike) instead of going off emotion or blind faith.
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
AmuroRay2165.00