BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Doug DeMuro Says M2 Competition is the Ultimate M Car

01-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #45
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The M2C is a great car but Demuro has crap reviews. Talks mostly about crap anyone can see for themselves and then drives around on some surface streets and says its the greatest?? I find his content useless, its mostly his weird review of buttons and then he repeats what every journalist and YouTuber has already said.
All of the other reviews do the spec sheet read and a drag race. At least his content isn't a carbon copy of everything else, even if you don't find it relevant.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #46
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
It's just a gimmick, there is no analysis. I have to hand it to the guy, he really doesn't know much about cars, driving much of anything but self promotion and getting people to watch his stuff. He has worked hard to get to this point and developed a brand that works for him but if your looking for legitimate analysis his channel is not the place to go.
Doesn’t know much about cars? The same Doug who worked for Porsche? The same Doug who wrote for Jalopnik (and Jalopnik is known for its car nuts) and asked readers which car he should buy and own for a year? The same Doug who chronicled his ownership experience with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R32 GT-R, Viper GTS, Ferrari 360? The same Doug who owns a bright yellow LandRover Defender and an E63 station wagon.

He does 15-20+ minutes of cars, going over the “quirks and features”. He doesn’t do the whole “test on racetrack” thing. He is like a modern day John Davis of Motorweek and Jay Leno with a quirky personality.

Yes, he has developed a brand, but there is a reason other than their own self promotion why many people and businesses with exotic or older cars want Doug to review their cars, and it’s because he is likeable. That being said. To say that he doesn’t know much about cars, is quite frankly, drinking some serious Haterade (Caffeinated).
Appreciate 13
heavyD^23688.50
cptobvious2531.50
akkando5863.00
pz6193277.00
M-Pilot4859.00
MDuckie93.00
Outrun64.50
Vintage377.50
csbear1118.00
Hankdoll135.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #47
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Doesn’t know much about cars? The same Doug who worked for Porsche? The same Doug who wrote for Jalopnik (and Jalopnik is known for its car nuts) and asked readers which car he should buy and own for a year? The same Doug who chronicled his ownership experience with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R32 GT-R, Viper GTS, Ferrari 360? The same Doug who owns a bright yellow LandRover Defender and an E63 station wagon.

He does 15-20+ minutes of cars, going over the “quirks and features”. He doesn’t do the whole “test on racetrack” thing. He is like a modern day John Davis of Motorweek and Jay Leno with a quirky personality.

Yes, he has developed a brand, but there is a reason other than their own self promotion why many people and businesses with exotic or older cars want Doug to review their cars, and it’s because he is likeable. That being said. To say that he doesn’t know much about cars, is quite frankly, drinking some serious Haterade (Caffeinated).
Pretty much this. It's ok to not like Doug's style or his content, but accusing him of not knowing much about cars is absurd.
Appreciate 2
chris7197332.50
akkando5863.00
      01-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #48
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Quote:
It's just a gimmick, there is no analysis. I have to hand it to the guy, he really doesn't know much about cars, driving much of anything but self promotion and getting people to watch his stuff. He has worked hard to get to this point and developed a brand that works for him but if your looking for legitimate analysis his channel is not the place to go.

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't know much about cars? The same Doug who worked for Porsche? The same Doug who wrote for Jalopnik (and Jalopnik is known for its car nuts) and asked readers which car he should buy and own for a year? The same Doug who chronicled his ownership experience with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R32 GT-R, Viper GTS, Ferrari 360? The same Doug who owns a bright yellow LandRover Defender and an E63 station wagon.

He does 15-20+ minutes of cars, going over the "quirks and features". He doesn't do the whole "test on racetrack" thing. He is like a modern day John Davis of Motorweek and Jay Leno with a quirky personality.

Yes, he has developed a brand, but there is a reason other than their own self promotion why many people and businesses with exotic or older cars want Doug to review their cars, and it's because he is likeable. That being said. To say that he doesn't know much about cars, is quite frankly, drinking some serious Haterade (Caffeinated).
I am well aware of his background, watched and read him early in his career. Yes he has owned cars. There is no evidence in his work the past few years that he knows more than any other car guy about cars. He talks about insignificant things like buttons but doesn't talk about actual engineering or driving dynamics. Not saying he is a bad guy but to spend 10 mins taking about buttons and then a few minutes driving in circles in a neighborhood and posting that as a legitimate review is weak. To say otherwise is overlooking facts. My expectations are apparently too high. I actually expect someone who is going to post a review and give a score to do a real review of the car including driving it. Perhaps he should entitle his videos a button review. I would be fine with that characterization.

I am sure he is a great guy. It's not a personal attack. Just an opinion of the quality of his work.
Appreciate 3
Mavus2026.00
pz6193277.00
Robin_NL8716.00
      01-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #49
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

This review was on his "moredougdemuro" channel. I think it's a less "formal" channel if you will.

His "dougdemuro" channel is supposed to be the more "formal" one, with what I assume will be more detailed reviews of the type that you desire.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-23-2019, 01:08 AM   #50
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Quote:

I have no idea what deep expertise he has on cars but he definitely has a large followings so a lot of people must like his content. I also don't think you have to know much about anything to get a large following on youtube. There are a lot of terrible vloggers that get a lot of followers and some good vloggers that have good content but hardly have any subscribers/views. I agree it's completely subjective but unless any vloggers on youtube started 5-10 years agos, it's a challenge to build a channel from scratch now and be successful and earn enough income to have it as a full time job. There are of course exceptions but it's not typical and if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. It's all about being fresh and entertainment value for the masses.

This is also completely subjective. I'm not entertained by his 15-20+ plus of going over the quirks of the car. For the average person that likes cars and like to know about those things fine...different strokes for different folks. I personally don't care about the quirks and I'm sure spending enough time with a car, one can find these on their own.

I also have no idea what goes into a "Doug Score" and what his scoring model is based on and if he uses. For example does it use a weighted average in any way based on whatever category he is scoring.

If I really want a detail breakout down of the quirks and features, I'll do my own research, test drive if possible, and some of the best information I get is from the members on any forum, present forum included.

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #51
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
I'm sure it drives like hell, but the proportions are just very odd to me. The short wheel base makes it look a bit goofy.

I'll stick with an M3/M4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
I'm sure it drives like hell, but the proportions are just very odd to me. The short wheel base makes it look a bit goofy.

I'll stick with an M3/M4.
Agree. Price point is excellent for what you get but do not care for the appearance as much as M 3. Just my opinion but I think the M3 sedan is the best looking and sized M out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #52
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Agree. Price point is excellent for what you get but do not care for the appearance as much as M 3. Just my opinion but I think the M3 sedan is the best looking and sized M out there.
Get out of our forums then.. WE DONT WANT YOU HERE ANYWAYS
:
      01-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #53
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
Then there's his previous videos. I do like his video but come on - they can't all be the best

Here's why the BMW M2 is the best M car

and

the BMW 1 Series M is the Best BMW of all time
He literally says everything is the best but makes up a new category for each car as well.

M5 is the best BMW M car Super Saloon etc
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #54
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
The M2C is a great car but Demuro has crap reviews. Talks mostly about crap anyone can see for themselves and then drives around on some surface streets and says its the greatest?? I find his content useless, its mostly his weird review of buttons and then he repeats what every journalist and YouTuber has already said.
He reviews cars for people who like cars but don't know anything about cars.

Most people only experience the car via the interface they interact with it. That's why he's huge. To them a new car means new buttons, new tech, new cup holders, new badges, etc. Weight and engine mean nothing to Doug nor Reddit or the average Joe.

Doug doesn't know the first thing about sporty driving so to him the M2 is 'great' and 'tossable' because he pushes the gas to 30 at a stop sign then turned. The same thing he will do with a Ferrari F50. It's almost hilarious because an actual review of a Ferrari F50s handling would be interesting. Instead you got a 20 minute review of the cup holders and how the shifter feels.

Also the dougscore is literally meaningless. He will praise a Ferrari for a cool spartan interior then say the corvettes interior is too spartan. Etc. Doug rating handling is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #55
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

His style is getting a bit old. And I agree there isn't much information squeezed into fairly long videos.
What I would like to see from him is comparison to the hundreds of other cars he has driven when it comes to ride quality, noise, seat comfort, handling, etc ...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #56
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

He just reviewed a house, that's right a house, on his more dougdemuro channel. More fodder for youse guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #57
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Tough crowd. He loves it but you hate him.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #58
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Similar to the shmeeeeee character, I just can’t take the way he talks.
TripleU170.00
Mavus2026.00
      01-24-2019, 12:08 AM   #59
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

He rates the M2 a 6 in the "Styling" category? Along with a Golf R no less? C'mon, I like both cars but the Golf R looks boring AF compared to an M2...
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #60
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
Tough crowd. He loves it but you hate him.
Seriously
      01-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #61
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post
He rates the M2 a 6 in the "Styling" category? Along with a Golf R no less? C'mon, I like both cars but the Golf R looks boring AF compared to an M2...
As cool as the M2C is, it's not a "looker". I think the M3 and 4 look about 10x times better, so Doug's opinion is not just himself. I think the concept of the M2C is better, but come on, it's a 240i with slightly larger fenders.
      01-24-2019, 02:51 AM   #62
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Most people, and in fact, most performance car buyers are not going to be racing their cars on a track. They all don't want to see videos of Chris Harris drifting around some course, screaming about the technicalities of PDK and whatnot.

And almost everyone here knows what they want as their next car, and no YouTube video is going to really change their minds.

That's where Doug comes in. He doesn't take it too seriously because there is no reason to. Everyone and their mom knows what a GT2RS is capable of. MotorTrend, TopGear, Car and Driver, Road and Track, AutoCar, etc. already occupy that space on YouTube.

Doug's videos are a tongue in cheek examination of various types of cars on public roads and everyday life. There is enough space for that on YouTube as well as evidenced by his millions of subscribers.

And considering the sheer amount of ridiculous shit he has driven: Koenigsegg Agera, Bugatti Chiron , 918 Spyder, F40, GT2RS, Huayra, Ferrari 812, ZR1, Huracan Performante, Carrera GT, even for short periods at a time, collectively, it is safe to say he has some iota of what a performance car is capable of, at least on public roads...which 90-95% of the people here drive.

Anyone who has wheel time behind those cars and then comes around and says "pedestrian" cars such as the M2C, GT4, and 1M coupe are some of his favorite cars, does have some idea what he is talking about. Even if he doesn't have the journalistic cred or racing capabilities of a Chris Harris or Randy Pobst.

Doug seems like a cool guy and I wouldn't mind talking cars with him. At one point, I lived pretty close to him when I was in Old City and he was in Society Hill or NoLibs I believe (Philly). I should have lent him my GT4 at the time, but he reviewed another Sapphire Blue GT4 on his channel anyway.
Appreciate 7
gnx759.50
Karlosm2c290.50
heavyD^23688.50
MDuckie93.00
cptobvious2531.50
Hankdoll135.50
      01-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #63
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
As cool as the M2C is, it's not a "looker". I think the M3 and 4 look about 10x times better, so Doug's opinion is not just himself. I think the concept of the M2C is better, but come on, it's a 240i with slightly larger fenders.
lmfao allllllright dude
TripleU170.00
      01-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #64
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post
These camouflaged photos gives you an idea of body different between the two vehicles:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #65
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
With all due respect, this is a ridiculous statement.
TripleU170.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #66
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Most people, and in fact, most performance car buyers are not going to be racing their cars on a track. They all don't want to see videos of Chris Harris drifting around some course, screaming about the technicalities of PDK and whatnot.

And almost everyone here knows what they want as their next car, and no YouTube video is going to really change their minds.

That's where Doug comes in. He doesn't take it too seriously because there is no reason to. Everyone and their mom knows what a GT2RS is capable of. MotorTrend, TopGear, Car and Driver, Road and Track, AutoCar, etc. already occupy that space on YouTube.

Doug's videos are a tongue in cheek examination of various types of cars on public roads and everyday life. There is enough space for that on YouTube as well as evidenced by his millions of subscribers.

And considering the sheer amount of ridiculous shit he has driven: Koenigsegg Agera, Bugatti Chiron , 918 Spyder, F40, GT2RS, Huayra, Ferrari 812, ZR1, Huracan Performante, Carrera GT, even for short periods at a time, collectively, it is safe to say he has some iota of what a performance car is capable of, at least on public roads...which 90-95% of the people here drive.

Anyone who has wheel time behind those cars and then comes around and says "pedestrian" cars such as the M2C, GT4, and 1M coupe are some of his favorite cars, does have some idea what he is talking about. Even if he doesn't have the journalistic cred or racing capabilities of a Chris Harris or Randy Pobst.

Doug seems like a cool guy and I wouldn't mind talking cars with him. At one point, I lived pretty close to him when I was in Old City and he was in Society Hill or NoLibs I believe (Philly). I should have lent him my GT4 at the time, but he reviewed another Sapphire Blue GT4 on his channel anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post

It would be a fascinating conversation, button talk. Wow sounds great
Appreciate 0