BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Did you skip the Xpel or Suntek PPF

12-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #45
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsturbo View Post
Can you explain why its not an issue?
Because the clearcoat already blocks UV.
Then the clearcoat suffers and might have a different finish after some years? Thinking especially on the AW if there could be some changes in colour.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #46
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsturbo View Post
Then the clearcoat suffers and might have a different finish after some years? Thinking especially on the AW if there could be some changes in colour.
I had a white car wrapped for 8 years without any differences in paint finish between covered and uncovered areas. The film was replaced after 8 ears to a newer tech PPF.
      12-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #47
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got quotes from a couple of Xpel recommended installers. All said that there will be a seam on the bumper and tried to sell me other services which I didn't even care about. Anyway that's fine.

Biggest concern I'm having is that I saw few people returning with their cars having PPF issues. The shops also took apart some of the trims to wrap the PPF, which I don't feel comfortable to do.

When doing custom installs, they have to carefully use knife close or so sometimes even on the paint. They assured car will not be damaged. This can be avoided using precut film done by a plotter.

All the shops I went to are recommended on Xpel's website.

I'm thinking to save the $2K for PPF and get an MPE in future instead. But I do understand and respect the opinions who get PPF and love to keep their cars pristine for not only themselves but also future owners.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
mikeahso411.50
      12-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #48
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I got quotes from a couple of Xpel recommended installers. All said that there will be a seam on the bumper and tried to sell me other services which I didn't even care about. Anyway that's fine.

Biggest concern I'm having is that I saw few people returning with their cars having PPF issues. The shops also took apart some of the trims to wrap the PPF, which I don't feel comfortable to do.

When doing custom installs, they have to carefully use knife close or so sometimes even on the paint. They assured car will not be damaged. This can be avoided using precut film done by a plotter.

I'm thinking to save the $2K for PPF and get an MPE in future instead. But I do understand and respect the opinions who get PPF and love to keep their cars pristine for not only themselves but also future owners.
There will always be some seams when using a plotter. None of which I find to be a concern. Any seam(s) on the front bumper is/are barely noticeable.

I've had custom installs where some pieces are removed; Porsche headlights, etc. You need to find a very good shop with a lot of references. When done the seamless look is amazing but more money of course. There is a balance between tucking film within a tight fit tolerance.

There is a proper method for cutting pieces on the car with a razor. A good installer knows the difference between cutting the film without going completely through so the film breaks away.

I chose the plotter with Xpel installs on both my current cars. I chose to keep costs down a bit and again the seams are pretty much meaningless to me. And, much referred over chips.

I know of at least two installers, one ATL and one NY, where I would trust custom work and cuts on the car.

Last edited by devo; 12-15-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #49
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
I really doubt cost is the issue when we're driving 65k cars, but moreover the unnecessary application of the film for most of us as most will not track the car. Ceramic coat the car for $250 and unless it's a big ass rock, it'll be fine.
Clearly this topic is a matter of perspective. I agree that if you can afford $65k on a car, $3k for PPF is not an issue. For me, the PPF is worth the money because I want to preserve the original paint. I have zero intentions on giving this car back or trading in in a few years. Preserving the original paint from damage is not something ceramic coating can do. My 135i was banged up up front after a few years and that's not going to happen with this car. I can't see having to trust a paint shop to perfectly match the HS repainting for rock chips. If that's your cup of tea, have at it.
I was making more of a general statement. Someone who buys a cheaper car because that's what they can afford, maybe are already stretched to their limit and can't afford to protect the car even if they wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #50
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

If you do get ppf get pre cut for bumper. Too complex for custom.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #51
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Everyone has a choice. That said, why bother with ceramic coating; more shine, ease of care? To your point, arguably money poorly spent on a $65K +/- car. It does nothing to protect against any rock chips. Of course, PPF will not protect against BA rocks.

All said, I am all for PPF as I do not find paint patina attractive.
Coating a car = wash with a hose in 2 minutes. Good wax costs $50 plus applicators so its hardly a price bump. Enjoy your PPF
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #52
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Coating a car = wash with a hose in 2 minutes. Good wax costs $50 plus applicators so its hardly a price bump. Enjoy your PPF
PPF is way better in the North where your car is going to be blasted with salt and all kinds of other crap in the winter. Most ceramic coatings are not that slick , certainly do not protect against any sort of rocks since they are microns thick, and you don't have to be as careful about swirls with self healing PPFs.

Respraying is a pain and it might be hard to match a paint like HS. It also lowers the value a little.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #53
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Quote:
Quote:
Everyone has a choice. That said, why bother with ceramic coating; more shine, ease of care? To your point, arguably money poorly spent on a $65K +/- car. It does nothing to protect against any rock chips. Of course, PPF will not protect against BA rocks.

All said, I am all for PPF as I do not find paint patina attractive.
I'm really on the fence here. I got my best quote which is $2200 full frontal, a-pillars, rocker panel. I live in Orlando and it's not too bad here but I already managed to get a small chip in 900 miles. The biggest benefit is that not only will it stop chips but scratches. The other side of things for that cost I could save for an exhaust setup etc. I plan to do Ceramic coating regardless Gyeon syncro and I plan to do this myself I already have the supplies. In your guys opinion for my Long Beach Blue, is it worth doing PPF for the $2200 quote. If not how hard is LBB to match?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #54
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
I'm really on the fence here. I got my best quote which is $2200 full frontal, a-pillars, rocker panel. I live in Orlando and it's not too bad here but I already managed to get a small chip in 900 miles. The biggest benefit is that not only will it stop chips but scratches. The other side of things for that cost I could save for an exhaust setup etc. I plan to do Ceramic coating regardless Gyeon syncro and I plan to do this myself I already have the supplies. In your guys opinion for my Long Beach Blue, is it worth doing PPF for the $2200 quote. If not how hard is LBB to match?
My personal opinion is if even a few stone chips bothered you enough to keep checking them out then you should do it. Especially on the LBB because it is nearly impossible to touch up nicely.

I know cause I had a VO 1M and it was impossible to touchup without looking like poo. Those metallic flakes just won't align in the same way and those stone chips areas actually look better without any touch up. In the end I got the panels resprayed by a master painter trained by BMW and then apply PPF. No worries there after.

If you car is AW or any other solid paint (which there is none for the M2C) then I would say it's not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #55
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Did not skip, I actually did to my previous LBB M2 and did partial front and got a chip 6" above the XPEL.

Went all out on front this time, I track the car and push it hard every time I pull out of the garage, so wanted to protect it. You think you dont get it back, but when I traded my car it looked just like new with 16K miles on it and multiple track events. Car looked immaculate so my trade was good.

Just posted this thread, there was another M2 Competition owner that same week.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24119850
      12-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #56
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2C View Post
Did not skip, I actually did to my previous LBB M2 and did partial front and got a chip 6" above the XPEL.

Went all out on front this time, I track the car and push it hard every time I pull out of the garage, so wanted to protect it. You think you dont get it back, but when I traded my car it looked just like new with 16K miles on it and multiple track events. Car looked immaculate so my trade was good.

Just posted this thread, there was another M2 Competition owner that same week.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24119850
Looks great, yeah I'm pretty sure I'm gonna follow through with the PPF I just wonder every now and then if I'm making the right choice.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4171.00
      12-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #57
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hahaha...

Good wax and applicators in no way cost $50. You can pay that much if you like. Comparing ceramic coating and PPF is funny.
chris7197324.00
      12-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #58
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks great, yeah I'm pretty sure I'm gonna follow through with the PPF I just wonder every now and then if I'm making the right choice.
Presuming you choose a good installer, the only wonder later could be cost, however that will be long forgotten once you realize how good the paint looks.
      12-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #59
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

So, yeah, yeah, yeah... I stood pretty firm on "no PPF for me" in another thread
BUT, I guess I'm still thinking about it.

Has anyone seen BSM w/PPF? I just can't imagine it's going to look as good as straight up paint. Opinions or experience?

Apparently, my decision process isn't related to $$ or rock chips or resale, but rather those 10 minutes a week where a black car is spotless. If PPF introduces some wacky, unnatural reflections, or in case of a partial, an even faintly obvious difference in appearance, it's a no go for me

There's also the childhood trauma of having THAT grandmother (rest her sweet soul...) that owned furniture that I swear was both delivered and retired to the alley with plastic covers...I swore I'd never do that, and PPF is tripping that trigger
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #60
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
So, yeah, yeah, yeah... I stood pretty firm on "no PPF for me" in another thread
BUT, I guess I'm still thinking about it.

Has anyone seen BSM w/PPF? I just can't imagine it's going to look as good as straight up paint. Opinions or experience?

Apparently, my decision process isn't related to $$ or rock chips or resale, but rather those 10 minutes a week where a black car is spotless. If PPF introduces some wacky, unnatural reflections, or in case of a partial, an even faintly obvious difference in appearance, it's a no go for me

There's also the childhood trauma of having THAT grandmother (rest her sweet soul...) that owned furniture that I swear was both delivered and retired to the alley with plastic covers...I swore I'd never do that, and PPF is tripping that trigger
Recently at a car show I went to, I was able to find two GT3's one with PPF one without, the one without was clearly more scratched up and looked MUCH worse than the one with PPF. So I think aside from chips, the scratches are what really bother me since I've already witnessed people trying to take photos with my car and leaning on it etc. With PPF leaning on my car should no longer freak me out, although I'll still not allow anyone to do it.
Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      12-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #61
Sideshow
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I've already witnessed people trying to take photos with my car and leaning on it......
WHAT?!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #62
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
Quote:
I've already witnessed people trying to take photos with my car and leaning on it......
WHAT?!
Welcome to Florida, I've had some Bud's with bikes who legit have seen people get on their bike to take photos with it without their permission.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #63
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
hahaha...

Good wax and applicators in no way cost $50. You can pay that much if you like. Comparing ceramic coating and PPF is funny.
Buy the good stuff, just did my reorder of wax and it was $47. They arent compared, I just said I do that to my cars and it's enough. Do what you please with your money
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #64
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
10000000% yes do it. This is coming from someone that did not do PPF on my 2017 and I regret it to this day. PPF will be my first action once I get my M2C
      12-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #65
mikeahso
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: various

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
It doesn't. It throws off inconsistent reflectance which is particularly noticeable while wearing polarising lenses.

My understanding is that it's caused by the film being heated & stretched inconsistently during application. Perhaps this is a mark of applicator experience, and that I've only seen poor workmanship.

You're unlikely to see it in any YouTube video, nor will you get any person with PPF wanting to admit it.

Get a junk yard fender partially coated with PPF and then handle it yourself in sunlight.

There's no question PPF protects the paint. And in 5 years, the paint will (hopefully) look as new when the film is removed. I say hopefully as I've heard as many negative stories of paint condition after film removal as positive ones.

For me, (and this could depends on your region) PPF install and removal is as much, or more than respraying the entire car (the same colour). During that 5 years, living with a couple of stone chips on the front bumper is the lesser evil than the compromised reflectance consistency that (I believe) PPF causes.

Another thing (and again, this is region dependant), if I have PPF on my car, and get stone chip through the PPF, there is far less places I can get that seen to with. I live in a town of 6,000 people, but there's 3 panel beaters / paint shops. They will see to the fault straight away. The nearest PPF applicators are 4 hours away.

I've also never been able to find a PPF applicator that will guarantee condition of the paint under the film beyond 3 years. It's hard enough getting them to quote on a decommission - again, likely regionally dependant.

Using your grandmothers situation. I'm sure she wouldn't of had plastic on the furniture, if she'd paid as much for the plastic as what it would cost to reupholster the furniture.

Final point, saw comment about a resprayed car being worth less money. Even a 3/10 paint shop can achieve a BMW OEM paint quality finish. Most will better it.

With all that said, I don't discount anyone that sees the value in PPF. It's just (in my opinion) it's not the absolute must-have that it is perceived to be on forums.
Appreciate 2
BlkSVT388.50
      12-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #66
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp M/T

When I was new to sports cars, I tend to have them filmed immediately. But after a while, I realized that I don't own the cars long enough to justify the extra expense especially since I generally buy used sports cars.

With my more "affordable" M2, I'm skipping PPF and will probably use the budget on a few mods later on.

Just curious, do you guys also have clear windshield film installed when you do PPF on your cars? I've noticed that this type of hard film scratches easily leaving ugly streak marks.
Appreciate 1